Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsThis View Post
    Is there a potential solution?

A dodge cap.

Say, the maximum dodge is 60% after any dodge would go to armor.

Let's say:
    Dodge Cap = 60%
    Armor Modifier = 2 for each percentage

We have a character with 80% dodge and 200 armor.

So they would have actually:
    60% dodge
    Modified Armor = 200 (base armor) + 200 (base armor) * (80%, which is the character's dodge - 60% dodge cap) x 2 = 240 armor.

This character has 60% dodge and 240 armor now instead of 80% dodge and 200 armor.

Note: I'm not sure what the correct dodge cap and modifier are, but I think that 60% is a good starting point and 2% for the armor cap.

Other notes
    This is a very simple proposal, but it may be a "quick win" if done correctly (ex: the right percentages used). It may need tweaking by class as well (ex: the dodge cap might need to be different per class). It will require a lot of feedback, but could balance end game. In that regard, it could be the simple mechanic that fixes dodge, but getting the percentages right will likely take several revisions.

Keep in mind the impact of buffs when these caps are on and off.

I'm not sure what the dodge cap should be, as I said, but 60% is a good starting point I'd say. I think that gives a good balance between dodge and damage. Too much dodge favors strength based builds (especially bears), while too little makes dodge ineffective. Tweaking will be needed as discussed. 60% is a starting point, but an I'd say an educated guess.
    First off, thoughtful post should be appreciated but there are few concern -

To do this they have to touch core algorithm and make changes into it, but this upto em, if they would try to do it or not. But roll back, I don't think that's gonna happen in any way.

Having a flat dodge cap simply means everybody would dodge same amount of hits on an average, which is AGAINST basics of pl, because dodge has been an advantage to specific class/gear, so when they don't have it, they have other advantages in the place.

Flat dodge cap also wouldn't serve the basic purpose to make PvP more than mostly luck based because then you also know why you suggested ~60% [>50%]which would still make mostly dodgy on an average.

Let's come to the class spefic dodge cap, as you also mentioned that this would take lots of tweaking BUT flat dodge cap also would take lots of tweaking because of the reason I already mentioned, some would loose the advantage of high dodge and some would have advantage of dodging same even though armor would be replacement, SIMPLY BECAUSE armor can't replace dodge directly BUT ARMOR CAN BE USED TO balance classes that means in both cases it would take lots of tweaking.

If you need tweaking, then simply best solution is to squeeze the percentage base stats and then in future bring new gear/cap etc in an way that these percentage based stats eg. dodge, hit%, crit etc remain in a healthy stat that means new gear/cap won't increase these stats. And then you can tweak other stats to balance classes and gear, this is pretty much long term and better solution, exactly this has been done mostly.

Also let me tell you even though dodgepoclypse quite dramatic name, dodge isnot totally eliminated, neither it should be if we don't wanna think something out of pl, rather dodge along with other % stats should remain in a healthy state.
    Last edited by Waug; 01-14-2017 at 06:47 AM.