Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: The full Article regarding the Amazon Release.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts

Default The full Article regarding the Amazon Release.

Here it is the full article with the info. I really hope that they have misquoted someone because I really am not thrilled that Kindle users will have a 2 week head start. I could accept and deal with a delay because Apple has to approve every new app.

But to deliberately release a much anticipated game for one type of device is in my opinion, a Faux pas.

GDC 2012: A look at Dark Legends with Spacetime Studios

by Karen Bryan on Mar 7th 2012 7:00PM

Betas, Horror, Game mechanics, Interviews, MMO industry, Previews, Free-to-play, Mobile, Hands-on, Casual, Massively Interviews, Massively Event Coverage, Miscellaneous
    Dark Legends
    Life, death, and a return from the grave: That sums up the life of a vampire, but it also sums up the journey of Spacetime Studios. What do the two have in common? The studio's upcoming title called Dark Legends. At GDC 2012 this week, Massively had a chance to talk with Gary Gattis, CEO of Spacetime Studios, and we got a first-hand look at how the company successfully created a game in which people can play together on laptops, tablets, phones, and virtually any mobile device available.

Gattis began by giving a little background into the studio's past because it's played a very important part in its eventual success. The staff's roots go way back to Ultima Online, and Gattis and a few others helped build and run Star Wars Galaxies. In 2005, they joined forces with NCsoft, and Spacetime was in charge of building tools and tech for various projects. But in 2008, when the Korean-based studio pulled out of North America, they parted ways, and Spacetime was lucky to be able to retain the tool and tech it had developed. The studio had a powerful engine but was looking for something to do with it. Instead of staying in the traditional MMO setting, the devs decided to look forward... and go mobile.

The studio then went on to develop Pocket Legends, and later, Star Legends. This new title, Dark Legends, is the culimination of that effort, and what's particularly exciting is that no matter where in the world you are and what you choose to play on -- laptop, smartphone, tablet, or any other mobile device -- you'll be able to interact together across platforms.

The setting of the game is vampire-themed, but it's hardly of the sparkly, Twilight variety. It's dark and extremely bloody and not for the kids. There is a lot of variety to both the character customization and the outfits that they can wear.

Gameplay is best described as "pick up and play," and it incorporates features from traditional MMOs as well as social games. Spacetime used the energy mechanic from social games and improved upon it to give it a little more depth and purpose in the game. When you first log in, you have a variety of little cutscenes that you access, which help improve your character abilities as well as progress your character's storyline. When you hit one with a timer, you can pass the time by jumping into the content and basically feeding on as many living things as you can find.

Spacetime showed off the campaign map, which notifies you when your friends are online. You can then join up and play, and in the demo, Gattis showed a player on an Tablet and a player on a laptop playing together. Typically, combat involves rapidly clicking a button, but in Dark Legends, you can also hold down the button and get a charged strike. The designers integrated health and mana into one pool, called the blood pool. When you get hurt, your injuries drain the blood pool, but you also get to replenish it with a drain, which is indicated by a red skull on the side of the screen. Typical sessions last only a few minutes, but you can continue along with the campaign to make for a longer session. In the multiplayer experiences, the group limit is three because the difficulty scales and it becomes too chaotic with larger groups, but for social instances, you can have up to 25 players fighting together.

Dark Legends is due to launch in the next month, and Spacetime Studios is partnering with Amazon for a two-week exclusive on the Kindle Fire. In addition, the team has plans to use this to build all sorts of mobile multiplayer games, from wild west to mafia to World War II, so grab those chargers and get your mobile devices ready!

link to the page: http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/03...etime-studios/
    IGN - LyrrLynn. Guild Master of Xplicit.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shellkaz For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts

Nice Read. Seems Amazon is getting the rights to DL like Vcast had on SL.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by *Zero*:585622
    Nice Read. Seems Amazon is getting the rights to DL like Vcast had on SL.
    True, I guess it is a way to stress test the game with a much smaller base of players, like the Vcast release. This is most likely the "unofficial" beta.
    Growwle - My guess is 1050

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

wondering if STS will do another round of random beta-key giveaways to websites for non kindle users... the competition for them last time was FIERCE...
    404 - not found ...maybe one day...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

In the multiplayer experiences, the group limit is three because the difficulty scales and it becomes too chaotic with larger groups, but for social instances, you can have up to 25 players fighting together.
    that's pretty awesome

Dark Legends is due to launch in the next month, and Spacetime Studios is partnering with Amazon for a two-week exclusive on the Kindle Fire. In addition, the team has plans to use this to build all sorts of mobile multiplayer games, from wild west to mafia to World War II, so grab those chargers and get your mobile devices ready!
    and awe what happened to march 15??

~ wp(worldpeace) ~

7.   Click here to go to the next Dev post in this thread.   #6
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,092 Posts

Hey everyone,

I wanted to chime in regarding the 2 week Amazon exclusive for Dark Legends on the Kindle Fire that is mentioned in the Massively.com article. We know that you want to get Dark Legends as soon as they can. While I don’t have further details to release about exclusive periods, know that we always want to do right by our fans. We will give as many ways for you to get your hands on the game as we can.

Also, just to reiterate for those with iOS devices, Apple doesn't allow beta periods, exclusive access or any of that. So, our hands are tied on that front - if you're waiting for Dark Legends on iOS, it will be after any exclusive periods are over.

As others have surmised above, this is similar how Star Legends was available first via Verizon vcast.
    | | | |

Need help? Please visit our Support Website at http://support.spacetimestudios.com

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Samhayne For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Samhayne View Post
    Hey everyone,

I wanted to chime in regarding the 2 week Amazon exclusive for Dark Legends on the Kindle Fire that is mentioned in the Massively.com article. We know that you want to get Dark Legends as soon as they can. While I don’t have further details to release about exclusive periods, know that we always want to do right by our fans. We will give as many ways for you to get your hands on the game as we can.

Also, just to reiterate for those with iOS devices, Apple doesn't allow beta periods, exclusive access or any of that. So, our hands are tied on that front - if you're waiting for Dark Legends on iOS, it will be after any exclusive periods are over.

As others have surmised above, this is similar how Star Legends was available first via Verizon vcast.
    So correct me if I wrong, there will be beta keys givin' out just as you did with SL. But obviously like you said, vcast will be getting a taste of DL before android users?

~ wp(worldpeace) ~

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    313 Posts

Sweet. Impulsively buying a kIndle fire while killing time at bestbuy is going to pay off.lol
    gf.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    561 Posts

I hope not just the kindle fire...other android powered devices. This is why they were at the World Congress Expo.

IMO
    I thought Tablets and the Kindle were a waist of money...just an oversized phone...with no calling abilities lol.
    But, dont get me wrong, they are nice, but the functions dont appeal to me. (Kindle E-Reader thats a different story )
    Last edited by octavos; 03-08-2012 at 12:42 PM.
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=54483&dateline=131136  6901
    PL-Ghosts | SL-DL-AL- Ghost | SL-DL-AL-Octavos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by octavos View Post
    I hope not just the kindle fire...other android powered devices. This is why they were at the World Congress Expo.

IMO
    I thought tablets were a waist of money, But meh, who ever gots it, flaunts it right?
    Yeah lol

It would make more sense if it was available on the amazon appstore
    Main: Ardon lvl 41 Operative

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    561 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ardon View Post
    Yeah lol

It would make more sense if it was available on the amazon appstore
    NOW that I can do, i have received more then 153+ app from free app of the day (since i installed it)...so amazon defiantly the way to go.
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=54483&dateline=131136  6901
    PL-Ghosts | SL-DL-AL- Ghost | SL-DL-AL-Octavos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Do happy I bought my wife a kindle fire for her b-day

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

It's kind of silly how so many of us are following STS/the Dark Legends release on twitter, facebook, and these forums waiting for release information. But we have to get this information on a random site in order to hear about it. Couldn't STS have told us that there would be a two week exclusive themselves? I mean they said that there would be a March 15th release date they just kind of egg all of us on to sit around and wait for it, when in reality we have to wait two more weeks after that. I'm just assuming that Kindle Fire's make up a small portion of the community at the moment, I mean what spoiled teen has a kindle fire :/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    313 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vhigdo:585765
    It's kind of silly how so many of us are following STS/the Dark Legends release on twitter, facebook, and these forums waiting for release information. But we have to get this information on a random site in order to hear about it. Couldn't STS have told us that there would be a two week exclusive themselves? I mean they said that there would be a March 15th release date they just kind of egg all of us on to sit around and wait for it, when in reality we have to wait two more weeks after that. I'm just assuming that Kindle Fire's make up a small portion of the community at the moment, I mean what spoiled teen has a kindle fire :/
    I have one. Does that make me a spoiled teen? : o
    gf.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fyrce View Post
    A lot of kindle fires have been sold. This could be a whole new device market for them.
    But how many play STS games? How many play MMO?

Im thinking it would be better to do it for the amazon market. Not just the KF.
    Main: Ardon lvl 41 Operative

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Yea I meant of the people that so far play STS games I don't think many have Kindle Fire's. Of course I know many have sold it's a popular device. The 2 week exclusive won't offer a lot of current STS players who probably don't have a Kindle Fire to play, but it will open up the chance for new players to begin playing I guess.

And most that play STS games are teens, and if your a teen with a tablet of any kind I would believe you are spoiled. Unless you splurged your minimum wage paycheck.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

So the kindle users get to play 2 weeks earlier... and that is a big deal? Good for them I can wait 2 weeks. lol

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StompArtist For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Ty octavos for giving me the idea on downloading the amazon app market
    If anyone need the amazon app markets just go to this
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/mas/get-ap..._acct_complete
    (android users only)
    ~ wp(worldpeace) ~
    Last edited by worldpeace; 03-08-2012 at 01:57 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    181 Posts

Humm. :/
    Sts..... Why you no make it exclusive for android in generall again.

I know we are all going to eveeeeentually play together,
    Lol but i was looking forward to another head start on the game.
    I am driving myself nuts waiting!x)

Must.. Haz.. New content..<3
    I dont usually like to beg, but PLEASE OH PLEASE WITH SUGAR ON TOP?
    lolol :-)
    The only device I have ever played sts games on is the samsung galaxy tabs for android.
    Give us android users some love again!

All good I guess though,
    Apple had a six month head start on pl,
    android had a couple month head start on sl,
    I guess two weeks isnt a lot to ask, ef you kindle! Jkjk :3
    Seeing as how kindle users are limited to a smaller market. Lucky ducks!
    I am TOTALLY going to try and steal my brothers kindle on March 15th(which is his birthday! Thanks sts x])
    A true Star Legend...
    |SL: Eng-Artstar, Op-Demoneyes, Comm-Skullflower|

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    181 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by worldpeace View Post
    Ty octavos for giving me the idea on downloading the amazon app market
    If anyone need the amazon app markets just go to this
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/mas/get-ap..._acct_complete
    (android users only)
    ~ wp(worldpeace) ~