Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Implant Comparison Guide: Hit vs. Crit vs. Damage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Default Implant Comparison Guide: Hit vs. Crit vs. Damage

So you hit lvl 25 and want a damage Implant. Should you choose the Hit +5% Implant to land more attacks, the Crit +3% Implant to land more criticals, or the Damage +5 Implant? Let's run the numbers and see. We will figure 100 attacks with these implants on a mob with no armor, and then armor that reduces damage to 20%, and we will round down.

I have to make 3 assumptions. First, I assume that 78% hit actually means 78% hit, such that the +5% hit implant actually gives +5% hit. Second, I assume that Crit damage is not reduced by armor. Finally, I assume the Crits will land and add +33% damage to a regular attack. See http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...and-Mind-Wrack for more information on that.

Our model is my lvl 25 pure str Commando. She is wearing full Sandstorm eq and carrying a Scavenger's rifle (seems like a pretty average character). Here are her relevant stats:

STR: 157
    Hit: 78%
    Crit: 3%
    Damage: 39-72 (55.5 avg)
    DPS: 70

First, without an implant she lands 78/100 hits at 55.5 average damage, with 3 being crits. The math is 78(55.5) + .33(55.5)(3), and she does 4383 total damage. Reducing her damage to 20%, she does 920 damage.

Second, with a Hit +5% Implant, she she lands 83/100 hits at 55.5 average damage, with 3 being crits, or 83(55.5) + .33(55.5)(3), and she does 4661 damage. Reducing her damage to 20%, she does 976 damage. More than the default, which is expected.

Third, with a Crit +3% Implant, she she lands 78/100 hits at 55.5 average damage, with 6 being crits, or 78(55.5) + .33(55.5)(6), and she does 4438 damage. Reducing her damage to 20%, she does 975 damage. Less damage than the Hit % with no armor taken into consideration, but almost the same when armor is taken into consideration.

Finally, with a Damage +5 Implant, she she lands 78/100 hits at 60.5 average damage, with 3 being crits, or 78(60.5) + .33(60.5)(3), and she does 4778 damage. Reducing her damage to 20%, she does 1003 damage. This character gets the highest numbers with this Implant.

There are many things to consider besides straight damage. Commandos, for example, want their taunt skills to land, so Hit % might be a good choice. Operatives might want higher Crit % to trigger the bonus of Mind Wrack. Engineers might want Damage to have more effective Leech or Wither.

So which one did you choose?
    Last edited by kamikazees; 08-30-2011 at 02:54 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to kamikazees For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

wow kam! How many AWESOME comparisons have you done?? A few...but they rock

Ill read the entire guide in a moment....

EDIT: K just read it! I didnt think that dmg boost would be so big! I use a hit implant....I might switch if its that much of a bonus!
    Last edited by Register; 08-30-2011 at 12:01 PM.
    ShadowPlat OneMoreDay RegiLess & RegFree
    My Guess: 177

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

Thanks Kamikazees another good read you need to add each one to your Sig if you haven't already

I won't lie I have my Com and Engi on DuraSteel Implant but my Op has Crit Implant but have never been sure.if.this is the right choice or not =\ but this has definitely covered the basis and I may even experiment a little with other Implants

Still trying to comprehend how 2k+ can die from Barrels O.o

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

hit one best imo, most chance of hitting those important tanking moves

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Register View Post
    I use a hit implant....I might switch if its that much of a bonus!
    Thanks for your comment! It's not so clearcut, is it? I mean, the Hit % Implant is an all-around good implant. The Crit % Implant gets better and better as enemy armor is increased, and the Damage Implant is great for lower armored foes, but drops off at higher armor. It's interesting to see that the damage figures of these Implants occurs near an armor level where the character is reduced to 20% damage.

I really wish I did not have to make assumptions so we would know for sure which Implants are good for what. After all, perfect data can yield perfect results. But imperfection... what if there is an 80% effective Hit cap? What if crits are reduced by armor, or actually do a different % of damage? Hopefully some smart person will figure it out! Until then, this guide is something to go by at least.
    Last edited by kamikazees; 08-30-2011 at 03:06 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Heya, just a minor correction to that math. You seem to base the crit % of all hits, where as you probably need to base them off of the landed hits. Your findings still seem to match though. Thanks for putting it together.

Using my adjustment:

No implant ~4372 dmg
    +5% hit ~4653
    +3% crit ~4416
    +5 dmg ~4766

Peacemaster 30 engi/Slavery 26 com/Skecor 25 OP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    122 Posts

Nominating Kamikaze to be the first orginal guardian of blackstar!
    It was fun while it lasted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Very impressive, kam

Judging from your numbers, damage seems to be the best option. However, from your previous thread too, since skill crit multipliers are higher, wouldn't a crit % amplifier give more overall damage? Taking into consideration skill usages though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ellyidol View Post
    ...since skill crit multipliers are higher, wouldn't a crit % amplifier give more overall damage? Taking into consideration skill usages though.
    You are right that this only takes into account regular attacks, not skills. I only know of one skill with an increased critical multiplier, though, and that is Mind Wrack. Its crit bonus is huge. There are also enemies whose armor reduces character damage to less than 20%. I think for those enemies the crit % Implant will probably be superior. The choice is not clear-cut.

As more items and levels come out, the 3% crit will also continue to get better because it is a multiplier, while +5 damage will not. Then again, we will probably have another tier of Implants too, right?

Quote Originally Posted by peacemaster View Post
    Heya, just a minor correction to that math.
    Thanks for your post! One of my assumptions was that the critical hits do land. I did that to avoid calculating the probability of partial critical hits, as that math would complicate the equation (and the post) and not yield a different comparison result.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kamikazees View Post
    You are right that this only takes into account regular attacks, not skills. I only know of one skill with an increased critical multiplier, though, and that is Mind Wrack. Its crit bonus is huge. There are also enemies whose armor reduces character damage to less than 20%. I think for those enemies the crit % Implant will probably be superior. The choice is not clear-cut.

As more items and levels come out, the 3% crit will also continue to get better because it is a multiplier, while +5 damage will not. Then again, we will probably have another tier of Implants too, right?
    Yes, you're right! Sorry, I thought all skills had the high multiplier, must have misunderstood

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

The thing is, as new levels come out, we may get higher level implants.

There are now level 25 implants. In PL, the highest rings, the equivalent, were level 20.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

One thing I think may be incorrect is how you calculated your Crit.

Crit is dependent on the armor of a mob. So if a mob has 50 armor and your average equipped damage is 55.5 (your effective damage will be 5.5 damage to a mob), your crit will only be 5.5*1.33 = 7.315 damage.

Also, these crit hits, along with your normal hits) will only land your hit% of the time, 3 times, i.e. .78*3 = 2.55 times of crit landing per 100 attempts.

Lets say you are at 55.5 damage. .78((97*55.5)+(1.33*55.5*3))=221.445+5383.5=5604.9 45 * .78 = 4371.857 (nearly the same, but it doesn’t take into consideration any armor from a mob which will reduce this number).

And with your crit implant: ((1.33*55.5*6)+(97*55.5)).78 = 4544.58 Which is over 100 points different.

Additionally, you have to take into consideration enemy armor and dodge. Boss armor is very high it seems in this game, and many people (when fighting guardian) only land hits from 2 - 8 damage even with crits landing. So this is going to drastically reduce the differences in the “real world” environment.

Another thing you must consider is the scenario of which you are fighting. If you are in group mob combat, the more important factor is going to be your base skill damage, in the words of Royce, “clearing mobs is really more about high sustained damage output over time”, and your DPS comes into play as well.. Skill damage is quite important when you are "on the field" in combat, (I know these numbers make sense on paper, but true combat is what really matters).You want all of your AOE attacks to affect the most amount of mobs in the highest possible fashion. Whereas with a boss, you want more DPS and may want to have a bit more crit so you can chip away at the boss faster.

Honestly, the skill damage for an Engineer is what really matters most. With the increase in base damage, there is a direct translation to an increase in both skill heals and damage. i.e. if your base damage is up 5 points, then you will heal the entire team more, which is more important than that tiny bit of damage you are chipping away at the guardian.

Another point is that (in the future) characters will begin to get higher amounts of base hit%, and using past experience with Pocket Legends, hit% is capped at around 85% or so. So if you have 150 hit%, you will still only hit a max of 85% of the time. And as you can see in the diagram, Hit% is the first step in the game engine deciding whether you landed a hit or not.

Physiologic's awesome hit mechanics picture:
    Lol (Star Legends) - Noneo (Pocket Legends)
    Star Legends - Engineer's Survival Guide!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by noneo View Post
    One thing I think may be incorrect is how you calculated your Crit.
    The math in the guide is correct. There is a lot to address here, though, so I'll go one step at a time.

Crit is dependent on the armor of a mob. So if a mob has 50 armor and your average equipped damage is 55.5 (your effective damage will be 5.5 damage to a mob), your crit will only be 5.5*1.33 = 7.315 damage.
    This is a PL armor comparison. It assumes damage, including critical hit damage, is reduced by armor at a 1:1 ratio; the guide assumes crit damage is not reduced by armor. If you know for a fact one way or another, please let me know. I have found that a straight PL armor comparison does not work for SL.

Also, these crit hits, along with your normal hits) will only land your hit% of the time, 3 times, i.e. .78*3 = 2.55 times of crit landing per 100 attempts.
    This is correct. For the reasons explained earlier, however, I chose not to calculate partial critical hits. There is no functional difference.

And with your crit implant: ((1.33*55.5*6)+(97*55.5)).78 = 4544.58 Which is over 100 points different.
    Please double-check this equation. It appears to figure 97 attacks and 6 critical hits, which is 103 attacks. Correctly calculating 94 attacks and 6 criticals is in-line with the guide.

Additionally, you have to take into consideration enemy armor and dodge. Boss armor is very high it seems in this game, and many people (when fighting guardian) only land hits from 2 - 8 damage even with crits landing. So this is going to drastically reduce the differences in the “real world” environment.
    I would like to do that, but it is not possible. We don't know the boss stat values and we only know a little about the ratio at which armor reduces damage.

Another thing you must consider is the scenario of which you are fighting. If you are in group mob combat, the more important factor is going to be your base skill damage,... Whereas with a boss, you want more DPS and may want to have a bit more crit so you can chip away at the boss faster.

Honestly, the skill damage for an Engineer is what really matters most. With the increase in base damage, there is a direct translation to an increase in both skill heals and damage....
    Excellent points to consider when choosing an implant.

Another point is that (in the future) characters will begin to get higher amounts of base hit%, and using past experience with Pocket Legends, hit% is capped at around 85% or so. So if you have 150 hit%, you will still only hit a max of 85% of the time. And as you can see in the diagram, Hit% is the first step in the game engine deciding whether you landed a hit or not.
    If only we knew whether there was a hit cap, and if so, at what rate....

Thanks for your post!

Guardian of Alterra Physiologic's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

In your equations the multiplier for crit should be 1.33, not 0.33. 1.33 would mean 33% extra damage already added to your normal attack, because 0.33 is technically 1/3rd your normal attack (which is not your predefined way to calculate crit). Also, since you're using a total of n=100 hits per equation to define what hit% is, you'll need to subtract how many times you crit from how many times you hit, since a crit roll is not independent of your hit roll.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Physiologic View Post
    In your equations the multiplier for crit should be 1.33, not 0.33. 1.33 would mean 33% extra damage already added to your normal attack, because 0.33 is technically 1/3rd your normal attack (which is not your predefined way to calculate crit). Also, since you're using a total of n=100 hits per equation to define what hit% is, you'll need to subtract how many times you crit from how many times you hit, since a crit roll is not independent of your hit roll.
    His crit bonus damage is fine. He already takes the base damage in the first step and then for every crit, he adds the extra 33%. I posted the results adjusted for number of crits based on the amount of landed hits above. if he used 1 1/3, he'd be adding the base 2x.

That is assuming that crits work like neoneo posted ughh you posted...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

His crit bonus damage is fine. He already takes the base damage in the first step and then for every crit, he adds the extra 33%. I posted the results adjusted for number of crits based on the amount of landed hits above. if he used 1 1/3, he'd be adding the base 2x.

That is assuming that crits work like neoneo posted ughh you posted...
    Ah ok, that makes more sense! Minus your last sentence... o_O

I wonder how these implants work against major bosses like the Guardian, who have such a tremendous amount of enemy armor it's not even funny - literally, every single normal hit/crit/skill damage is a single-digit number. This is where you'll most likely be pulling high amounts of hits (50-100x) but since there is such a huge reduction in damage, I'm not sure an implant really matters at that point. Maybe the hit% implant, but again we would be pulling off damages such as 5,8,3 which is only a small dent in the Guardian's overall health.

Anyway - great analysis kamikazees!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kamikazees View Post
    This is a PL armor comparison. It assumes damage, including critical hit damage, is reduced by armor at a 1:1 ratio; the guide assumes crit damage is not reduced by armor. If you know for a fact one way or another, please let me know. I have found that a straight PL armor comparison does not work for SL.
    I can accept that PL /= SL, however I still believe that crit is effected by enemy armor. Why would the exclude crit from being affected by armor if your weapon damage, and skill damage are all affected by armor?

Please double-check this equation. It appears to figure 97 attacks and 6 critical hits, which is 103 attacks. Correctly calculating 94 attacks and 6 criticals is in-line with the guide.
    Yes, my equation was wrong, it should have been 94 and 6, which would make the difference even greater when you take into consideration the 78% hit for a crit.

If only we knew whether there was a hit cap
    There must be a cap, I couldn't imagine STS would create a game where you can hit an enemy every time. But for this, we will have to wait for the next level cap increase, or have someone with a very high hit% do some tests and share the results.

I will definitely be doing some tests in the near future (once I hit 26), and be sure to let you know my findings.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Physiologic View Post
    Ah ok, that makes more sense! Minus your last sentence... o_O

I wonder how these implants work against major bosses like the Guardian, who have such a tremendous amount of enemy armor it's not even funny - literally, every single normal hit/crit/skill damage is a single-digit number. This is where you'll most likely be pulling high amounts of hits (50-100x) but since there is such a huge reduction in damage, I'm not sure an implant really matters at that point. Maybe the hit% implant, but again we would be pulling off damages such as 5,8,3 which is only a small dent in the Guardian's overall health.

Anyway - great analysis kamikazees!
    hmm I guess that damage implant won't make much of a difference (most likel none) unless mob hp deals with fractions. No idea how SL damage works but some games treat hp as % and work on fraction bases. If that was true, the damage would probably be the best. If fractions are not applied here, then dmg and crit are pointless and just go with hit % *shrug*. However if hp has decimal points and you only see the rounded (floored?) number, then the math is on again and we'd need to figure out how mob armor works and how much armor the guardian has.
    It will be easier once we get higher lvl and will be able to test more powerful weapons against him. So far, he is the only mob with insane amounts of armor :/

Also for the crit argument... there is a simple test. Have a go at the guardian. If you keep hitting him for 5, 6,7 and suddenly hit him for 20, crit is not dependant on the armor, if you hit him for 10, it is. (I just made these numbers up btw... couldn't have been bothered to do the math, but you can see what I am trying to say)

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by peacemaster; 08-31-2011 at 06:18 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Also for the crit argument... there is a simple test. Have a go at the guardian. If you keep hitting him for 5, 6,7 and suddenly hit him for 20, crit is not dependant on the armor, if you hit him for 10, it is. (I just made these numbers up btw... couldn't have been bothered to do the math, but you can see what I am trying to say)
    I have done exactly that, and the only crits I have ever see are either 7 or 8. Which is why I say armor also affects crit as it does standard damage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

hmm I guess that damage implant won't make much of a difference (most likel none) unless mob hp deals with fractions. No idea how SL damage works but some games treat hp as % and work on fraction bases. If that was true, the damage would probably be the best. If fractions are not applied here, then dmg and crit are pointless and just go with hit % *shrug*. However if hp has decimal points and you only see the rounded (floored?) number, then the math is on again and we'd need to figure out how mob armor works and how much armor the guardian has.
    It will be easier once we get higher lvl and will be able to test more powerful weapons against him. So far, he is the only mob with insane amounts of armor :/

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    If crit is truly independent of enemy armor, then we should expect to see high double digit damage crits at Guardian, anywhere from 60 to 90, but we don't - all damages including crits are single digits.

Edit: ninja'd...