Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Where did everyone go???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by McBain View Post
    As for right now, I think PL will be just fine. AL is the new kid on the block and getting all the attention (and is a really fun game), but that novelty of a new game will eventually wear off for a lot of people. Not all, mind you, but a lot. I'm sure PL lost some players when both SL and DL came out, but overall it's still going strong. I don't think AL will kill it. PL is still my main game of the bunch, personally.
    I agree.

Also, some people get discouraged because they see PL players leaving for AL. Well it could be the other way around too at some point: many players whose first STS game was AL might want to try PL when they get bored of AL.
    When danger reared its ugly head, he bravely turned his tail and fled / Yes, brave Sir Robin turned about and gallantly he chickened out / Bravest of the braaaave, Sir Robin!

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

Since PL started losing alot of its vet players, I gave up on the game. Community seems broken apart and inactive. I will try out AL but will not spend nowhere near as much money as I have with PL. Nor will I spend another dime on PL ever again. It would be a horrible decision at this point. Adding up all the money I have spent, I could have easily bought a new ipad mini

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brave Sir Robin View Post
    I agree.

Also, some people get discouraged because they see PL players leaving for AL. Well it could be the other way around too at some point: many players whose first STS game was AL might want to try PL when they get bored of AL.
    That's a very optimistic way of looking at it. You're saying these STS games will feed off each other and eventually people will just go in circles hopping between STS games. That is assuming there will be no competition

I just provided articles and a video that will prove that the market will soon be saturated by PC MMORPGs...so in your equation, include the likes of World of Warcraft, SWTOR, Firefall, Guildwars 2, Rift Online, Warhammer, Tera Online, Neverwinter, Lineage, Elder Scrolls Online, Secret World, etc. and tell me, how in the world will you convince someone to re-roll to another game that is STS if these are also available to you? In fact, let's roleplay now, assuming I'm an STS player and you're STS, how will you convince me to stay given those other available games Why should I pick you?

The only thing that will prevent these giants from ROFLstomping STS, Gameloft's O&C, and other existing mobile MMOs is if they create a very solid and loyal player base (Also know as FANBOYS who will defend and stick with STS no matter what)...which is exactly what they're all not doing (In fact, they're weakening and confusing their player base every time they release new games), there's no sense of fanboyism in STS at all because the community is divided internally already LOL Anyway, these things are about to unfold as early as the end of this year...so things can get pretty ugly here very fast, if you have any experience with PC MMORPGs, a game can lose hundreds and thousands of players in a month (look at SWTOR, probably lost near half a million subs already in a couple of months) just because of competition *cough*Guildwars 2*cough*...does PL have hundreds and thousands of players as buffer in preparation for this oncoming competition? If not, then it's far from being fine, these incoming games from PC MMO all have a history of sucking the life out of each other in terms of player base, so it's not extreme to assume that all these games can suck the life out of all STS games when they come into the picture...they're already doing that presently Case in point, when GW2 came into t0he picture, SWTOR lost half a million subscribers and WoW also lost near a million subscribers (even more probably)....guess what, GW2 in its first month had 2 million purchases (So simple addition right?).

If you're talking now, yes, they're fine, but if you start looking at the latest buzz...you know something big will storm the mobile scene very soon...they're already probably ****ting their pants right now at the thought
    Last edited by vampinoy; 11-20-2012 at 01:57 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to vampinoy For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vampinoy View Post
    I just provided articles and a video that will prove that the market will soon be saturated by PC MMORPGs...so in your equation, include the likes of World of Warcraft, SWTOR, Firefall, Guildwars 2, Rift Online, Warhammer, Tera Online, Neverwinter, Lineage, Elder Scrolls Online, Secret World, etc. and tell me, how in the world will you convince someone to re-roll to another game that is STS if these are also available to you? In fact, let's roleplay now, assuming I'm an STS player, how will you convince me to stay given those other available games
    STS games = completely free, no purchase required to play.

All others you mentioned = cost $$$ to purchase + subscription in some cases.

For me personally, that's pretty much all I need to know. Plus, there are probably many others like me whose first introduction to this type of gaming was through STS. That counts for a lot, I think. I've never played any of those other games you mentioned, and honestly, I have no interest in doing so.
    PL: Seucheky
    SL: McBain
    DL: ArethaFanglin
    AL: McBain, Seucheky

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts

STS games = completely free, no purchase required to play.

All others you mentioned = cost $$$ to purchase + subscription in some cases.

For me personally, that's pretty much all I need to know. Plus, there are probably many others like me whose first introduction to this type of gaming was through STS. That counts for a lot, I think. I've never played any of those other games you mentioned, and honestly, I have no interest in doing so.
    We'll see

For me and thousands of people who liked the Fan Page of Project Fiona, it's a very attractive proposition to have a handheld device that will allow me access to dozens of top MMOs that are all free-to-play...and in the many years to come. Unless you plan on playing PL until the end of days (I swear I also said I won't play other games aside from Mario and Luigi)...long term...that will be the ideal investment for mobile gaming...it's a one-stop-shop of all giant MMOs (PC gaming in general) available versus a single game (or four)?... If everyone had your ideology, we'd still be stuck playing Mario and Luigi, Donkey Kong, Megaman, Doom, etc. because all those consoles that played those games such as Atari, MS-DOS, Famicom, NES, playstations, XBox, Wii, they all were the "it" then, and people jumped over to the new gen and embraced evolution.. ...this is evolution I'm referring to...not just games. Who thought a portable PC will happen this soon? It just so happens that PC also houses the best MMOs in the market which will directly take STS games head on.

PS: The fact that you haven't played those other games plays a huge role in your opinion...play them first, before you say those are the only things you need to know When I played Mario and Luigi, I thought I'd never enjoy another game again because that game also introduced me to gaming and so much sentimental value...until I discovered the rest, of course. Evolution is a beautiful thing, when I bought my first Iphone, it costs money, I bought my PC, it cost money, I bought my playstation it cost money...that's how evolution is, they just happen very fast now compared to the days of Mario and Luigi. This is evolution...it's the next gen of mobile gaming, people will buy this new technology just as how they embraced ps2, ps3, now ps4...you'd have to be fanboy to go against it...which is exactly what STS needs in order to survive this inevitable thing, I'm just surprised they're not taking aggressive measures to prepare for this to at least survive a little longer In any case, this thing is the future...not many appreciates talking about these kind of things, so I'll stop here. Will bring it up again when Project Fiona arrives.
    Last edited by vampinoy; 11-20-2012 at 02:57 AM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    299 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Seminole:859058
    Since PL started losing alot of its vet players, I gave up on the game. Community seems broken apart and inactive. I will try out AL but will not spend nowhere near as much money as I have with PL. Nor will I spend another dime on PL ever again. It would be a horrible decision at this point. Adding up all the money I have spent, I could have easily bought a new ipad mini
    U bought Sam a new ipad mini its ok some one will enjoy it :/

see u in AL

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LwMark View Post
    U bought Sam a new ipad mini its ok some one will enjoy it :/

see u in AL
    Lol ikr so true. You welcome sam!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vampinoy View Post
    If everyone had your ideology, we'd still be stuck playing Mario and Luigi, Donkey Kong, Megaman, Doom, etc.
    We don't still play those? I do.

The fact that you haven't played those other games plays a huge role in your opinion...play them first, before you say those are the only things you need to know
    No thanks, because they're too expensive. Hence why STS still has the leg up IMO. If these other games are totally free, I may check them out one day.

Look, you might be right, but who's to say that these other mobile MMO games that are supposedly "coming" will actually be better games anyway. PC and mobile platforms are still very different. It's all conjecture at this point. Maybe STS should worry, maybe not. All I know is that I'm not worried.

And, for the love of God, it's called Super Mario Brothers. Not "Mario and Luigi"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    351 Posts

Sts games are not completely free though, it may be everyones intentions to not pay a dime towards these "free" games but STS pressure us to buy plat with plat adverts like the old deal of the day pop ups, other players wearing ultra cool plat armour and vanities. Self Revs, sticking a direct link to the plat store on our ingame screen, plat sales, special apps to download offering free plat and then them messing up and putting bloatware on our devices so we give up spending hours downloading them and decide to buy plat out right. There is more, but you get the point.
    I've spent more money on "free" sts games than any game I've played be it pc games or console games. Sts games are actually rather expensive if you want the same advantage as the other top players. So your point is valid to an extent. But in no way are they free for everybody.

We've paid the price and I'm confused as Hell to which game to play- SL or AL and which to invest more cash in before the game is dropped in favour of the next fad Sts game. The only way they can please everyone in my opinion is bring back the plat transference between each game.
    Or create one big game that involved all of the games at once with a shared /friend chat system and global hub that players can meet up in and travel to there Desired sts game world.
    "Still Retired but casually dueling in PvP from Time to Time"
    EXTREME BOSS SLAYERS Are Back!
    Wanting a signature? Send me a Pm (SL credits only)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

I've spent more in SL/StS games than I ever would have liked too in any subscription games, however everything I have purchased is mostly Vanity being my decision to do so. If a game is taking the right turns them I'm always there to help fund where and when I can. (Pretty much all my Capping x3's has been Juiceless)

On Topic; SL is a ghost town, or more specifically my friends list (2k+) meaning people are still playing them but they are new people and when running any level with them even at cap, you feel like you've run a pug game with them from back last year. AL has covered everything, and I'm sure it will continue to grow even further when iOS join, StS better be ready to fix the stability of these servers or it's going to be mayhem.

The trend will only continue with new tech = better gaming experience each 6 months.

The only poor thing that I knew wasn't going to happened in AL, was the "revolutionary" change in StS Plat Sales including Free Respec's = Lies, Free Inventory Slots = Lies. (If never planned why make out it was going to be possible, just to add further hype)
    Last edited by BodMaster; 11-20-2012 at 05:55 AM.

Still trying to comprehend how 2k+ can die from Barrels O.o

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

That's just it. It's your decision whether or not you want to buy plat. Nobody puts a gun to your head. I very rarely buy plat (total amount is probably less than $50) and I'm perfectly happy. But even if you do buy plat, at least you're spending money for something you already know you like, so it's not a gamble. With the other games, the wallet has to come out before you even do anything.

The world is much different now than it was even 5 years ago. People don't blindly spend money anymore on entertainment like they used to. If you ask me, STS has the right business model by providing the content for free and then getting people to spend money on perks. If these other games that are supposed to be coming out don't have a similar approach, I don't think they'll reach as large an audience, no matter how good the game is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts

That's just it. It's your decision whether or not you want to buy plat. Nobody puts a gun to your head. I very rarely buy plat (total amount is probably less than $50) and I'm perfectly happy. But even if you do buy plat, at least you're spending money for something you already know you like, so it's not a gamble. With the other games, the wallet has to come out before you even do anything.

The world is much different now than it was even 5 years ago. People don't blindly spend money anymore on entertainment like they used to. If you ask me, STS has the right business model by providing the content for free and then getting people to spend money on perks. If these other games that are supposed to be coming out don't have a similar approach, I don't think they'll reach as large an audience, no matter how good the game is.
    I agree, the world is definitely different now, it evolves a lot faster. Naturally, you will want to spend your hard earned money on nothing but the best especially when it comes to entertainment...sadly, STS games and other iOS/Android apps will instantly become "not the best" once the PC tablet breaks into the scene. That's a fact. Spec wise, there's no mobile phone/notebook/tablets that would rival an actual PC tablet unless they're modified, not even close, an i7 CPU in a small device? Sweet mother of geekiness. This tablet can instantly run the BEST games out in the PC market of ALL GENRES (including MMOs), and THAT, my friend, is getting your money's worth. Why would you now spend on something less than the best?

STS' business model is not unique to them, in fact, they just copied it from many existing PC MMORPGs. Most notable ones that I played that are F2P with in-game cash shops before Pocket Legends even launched: Lord of the Rings Online (2007), Dungeons and Dragons Online (2006), Guildwars 1 (2005). Today, many PC MMOs are going free to play, that's right, just like STS games. Star Wars: Old Republic just went free to play.

Not reaching to large audience? You're talking about MMOs that were able to house "millions and millions" of players actively playing even today...can you imagine millions of players in one game? Do you even understand how big that is? ;O I doubt PL even surpasses the 100,000 mark on active players, and that's another perk this game will offer in the future...your ability to play with literally millions of other active players, IDK about you, but that's pretty attractive to me as an online gamer. These giants are bringing their millions of supporters. I think that's the last thing that will happen...not being able to reach to large audience...they already have, and they're bringing them to mobile That's the idea of this new tech, the PC crossing over to mobile tablet. It's going to be hard not to take a peek when these new techs happen. Well...totally up to you at the end of the day, it's just a game as they say. This is just a little eye opener Hope it served its purpose.

PS: Just a little trivia of recent events (I've been following this tech for a while now). CEO of Razer said if they get 10k likes in Facebook, they will definitely push through with the project...he got it in a day...
    http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Pro...-i7,18202.html

Below is the link of that Facebook post, let the hype begin:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
    Last edited by vampinoy; 11-20-2012 at 07:48 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Black ops
    MAINS: L56 Ursan xkiilzx, L55 Avian Unxtoxic, L55 Spellcaster Nonxtoxic, L10 Avian Merchant Toxicmerchant

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

@vampinoy: I agree that Project Fiona looks really cool. The only problem is that it is yet another device to carry. I already haul around an Android phone and an Android Tablet. Sometimes, when I have to travel for work, I also carry a Laptop. I certainly don't need another device to lug around, charge at night and pay a data plan on.

The greatest thing about games like PL, DL, AL, SL is that it runs on the only device you've always got on you - your cell phone.

Granted, I also see the erosion of active players, and I've lost more friends than I can count to other games. I am afraid that cannibalization of members by AL has dealt a near-death blow to the PL economy. These day's I am lucky to break even on merching. The Humania items have lost tremendous value and the Blacksmoke items are grossly overpriced. Stalwart items like Glyph have fallen off a cliff and, with the exception of lvl 61, Fang items are worthless.

I think it all goes back to the breakdown of cooperative team play. I run in A LOT of PUGs and in the past year, I have seen a steep decline in the skill and teamwork of the mainstream player. On average, players are less skilled, more impatient and far more rude than ever - perhaps a sign of the times, I don't know. Even PvP seems less alluring than before - and I don't really mind rushers too much (never thought I'd actually excuse that behavior in defense of PvP).

Honestly, I just don't feel as engaged as I used to compared with the Sewers cap. There was a time when the Devs were very active and visible in game. There was a time when good team play was the secret sauce to successful farming and leveling. Now, it just feels like, in order to move forward and have any success in game, you have to be juiced up on an assortment of elixirs.

Just the other night, while farming for OBDs, I kept dying at the hands of those uber-powerful Yeti's in Humania - yet the (horrible) team I was running with were all wearing crafted Humania items and I was using my crafted wand set, but I was still being one/two hit killed by Yeti. The balance is clearly off when a well equipped group has trouble with level appropriate maps. As odd as it seems, I have more success with Magma Fields than South Point Village.

Personally, I think that a lot of attention has to be paid to team play and community. With the flurry of updates and new maps, it's the team and communal aspects which have suffered the most.

Even my regular pink giveaways has annoyed me of late. During my last giveaway, I had a rather large stockpile of Nuri pinks and Swamp pinks. When I gave a few guys Reptilian items and Swamp Rat items, I see a bunch of comments in chat about "He's only giving away Reptilian, no Glyph, forget it" or "Swamp Rat? Don't you have anything better?" I mean, seriously, you bunch of ingrates - if you don't like it, don't play along or give away your own stash. I've given away millions in pinks, and true, there may be some AO junk, but that's what I have farmed, so that's what I have....it makes me want to just stop the giveaways entirely.

Even though I play AL, I think that it is the community that keeps me in PL - unfortunately, it is the community in PL that is letting me down lately. Maybe it is because of the exodus of the veteran players - I'm not sure, but on the current trajectory, my days on PL will be coming to an end if things don't turn around. It saddens me tremendously to say it...

AL: Kalizzaa
    Retired Officer of <Elite Runners>
    Elite Chronicles: Solo guides for elite maps - No longer maintained

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GoodSyntax View Post
    @vampinoy: I agree that Project Fiona looks really cool. The only problem is that it is yet another device to carry. I already haul around an Android phone and an Android Tablet. Sometimes, when I have to travel for work, I also carry a Laptop. I certainly don't need another device to lug around, charge at night and pay a data plan on.

The greatest thing about games like PL, DL, AL, SL is that it runs on the only device you've always got on you - your cell phone.
    That's a valid point. I think that will be its greatest barrier as well just like how the iPad was criticized as being a redundant technology of laptop and mobile phone prior to its initial launch. This new tech, Project Fiona, similar to Apple's iPad will be the first of its many kind...and I believe the target market for this product will find a way to fit this gadget into their lives. 20 years ago, I only carried around a pager, I could never imagine myself walking around with a telephone...a few years later, I was carrying a telephone and the pager...that time, I couldn't imagine myself carrying a computer...then a few years after, I found myself carrying a laptop and discarding my pager...recently, I couldn't imagine myself carrying what seem to be like a hybrid between a laptop and a telephone because I already have a laptop and a telephone...then I found myself owning an iPad...now, I'm faced with yet another dilemma...I cannot imagine myself carrying a computer in a tablet device because I already have a tablet and a PC...

People have had the bad habit of underestimating technology and its evolution, but it found its way. Project Fiona is a prototype, it can replace your laptop...it will run on windows 8 (you can attach it to your mouse and keyboard and voila)...though it's not yet clear whether it can run MS Office and other Utility Apps, not far fetched, considering the power behind this machine. Anyway, we'll wait and see. There's going to be lots of noise the nearer the launch date so we'll definitely hear more about this. I personally think this will directly impact the mobile app scene (MMO), in a sense that the more hardcore gamers who are unsatisfied with what iOS/Android can deliver will hold on to their money and save for Project Fiona because quite frankly, it's not even a close competition. I know that's what I'll do... But that's just me.
    Last edited by vampinoy; 11-20-2012 at 10:07 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

If it can run Win8 (or preferably Win7 until MS gets their act together with the UI) it would be a good deal - the only barrier would be pricing. The reality is that this is primarily a toy. I'm not pulling out one of these in a business meeting unless the joysticks are removable and there are add-ons like BlueTooth keyboards and headsets which are compatible. If they can figure that part out, I would get one if the price is similar to the current Microsoft Surface Pro which I am considering.

You don't work for Razer do you - you seem to be pimping these hard! :-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Even my regular pink giveaways has annoyed me of late. During my last giveaway, I had a rather large stockpile of Nuri pinks and Swamp pinks. When I gave a few guys Reptilian items and Swamp Rat items, I see a bunch of comments in chat about "He's only giving away Reptilian, no Glyph, forget it" or "Swamp Rat? Don't you have anything better?" I mean, seriously, you bunch of ingrates - if you don't like it, don't play along or give away your own stash. I've given away millions in pinks, and true, there may be some AO junk, but that's what I have farmed, so that's what I have....it makes me want to just stop the giveaways entirely.
    no offense but how would you feel is someone gifted you a reptilian? lol

its comparable to someone tossing you a quarter at a bar instead of buying you a drink.
    you seem generous and have the intention to help but crap is crap whether its a pink or not.
    so don't expect these kids to be jumping out of their seats just because you gave them a freebie.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lilweezy View Post
    no offense but how would you feel is someone gifted you a reptilian? lol

its comparable to someone tossing you a quarter at a bar instead of buying you a drink.
    you seem generous and have the intention to help but crap is crap whether its a pink or not.
    so don't expect these kids to be jumping out of their seats just because you gave them a freebie.
    Not expecting anyone to jump out of their seat, but to complain about a freebie is disrespectful. The point is that I am trying to give back to the community, and to have someone disparage the effort and charity is rude, especially since I don't see anyone else doing the same thing.

There are only so many valuable pinks in game - what, do you honestly think I can give away a hundred Tiki Crushers, Dragon Helms and Mega Mage sets? I give away as much as I can, so if, along the way, there are some good and some junk items, well, then it is what it is.

Along the way I have given Tiki, Hula, Lilith, Orlok, Glyph, Reptilian, Sewer Queen, Royal Sewer, Gemstone and many other items - if STS only dropped valuable items to me, then that is what I would give away.

Honestly, it just baffles me that someone would complain about receiving something for nothing.

How disgusted would you feel if you gave someone a lvl 66 Hula robe and then the person said "That's it?" - It's happened (it wasn't you was it?).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

The point is that I am trying to give back to the community, and to have someone disparage the effort and charity is rude, especially since I don't see anyone else doing the same thing.

if your true nature is to gift then you wouldn't expect anything back whether it be a thank you or a complaint. you also have to realize that people in nature are never content so you would have to deal with that every time you give something to someone. i myself have complained when my looted gold helm and armor weren't red lol.

there have been several times when i've given street bums food or even a couple bucks and instead of showing gratitude they end up asking for more money so i feel you. it makes me not want to give out anything anymore but then again if your true intention is to help the community then do so without the fulfillment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts

No thanks, because they're too expensive. Hence why STS still has the leg up IMO. If these other games are totally free, I may check them out one day.
    League of Legends is 100% free. You can play every map, character, and use every skill in the game without spending ANY money. You can unlock "Champions" (classes) and "Runes" (boosts to stats) with in-game currency, known as Influence Points (IP). Alternatively, you can buy Riot Points (RP) with real money and buy everything in a few minutes. The only thing IP can't get you is Champion skins. (: IMO, League is one of the best MMO's out there right now. (I've played WoW, Rift, many Aeria games, SWTOR, DC Universe, RS, and Perfect World.) It's a strategy/action game. Try this game then tell me PL won't be screwed if it goes mobile.

Don't get me wrong though. I love STS, and I enjoy PL/AL/DL (not so much SL).