PDA

View Full Version : ice vs thunder in pvp

Excuses
05-30-2013, 03:13 PM
I wonder which skill would be better in pvp + fire, shield and heal.

Looks like ice would be better in group fight and thunder would be better for 1on1...
But not completely sure.

Energizeric
05-30-2013, 04:14 PM
Yes, you are correct in your analysis. Same goes for PvE -- Ice is better for mobs, Lightning for the boss.

drgrimmy
05-30-2013, 04:26 PM
Yep,

Pros for light include: higher damage with 15% damage upgrade, higher critical damage with 250% critical damage upgrade, no need to aim (will hit an enemy behind you while you are running - very important), and seemingly incredible range despite the description of it having a shorter range than the other skills.

Pros for frost: also very high damage skill (equal to light without the damage upgrade), dot (damage over time with upgrade) and ability to slow enemies.

For PvP I personally would prefer light as it has higher damage and you don't have to aim it. If you want a more balanced build that is a little better for PvE, I would go with frost as it has better crowd control properties (although fire, frost, shield and life is still not so great for pve). You can also go for something a little atypical like frost, light, shield and life, which I know some people have tried and liked, but you lose the stun of fire. Just experiment around a little and see which works best for you :) There is no one "right" build for PvP, just one that hopefully works for you :)

Excuses
05-31-2013, 05:47 AM
Thank you for advice.

Thunder was fascinating... but picked Ice for better team work and pve use.
And found my own build too. =)

Azemeazed
05-31-2013, 06:48 AM
Yep,

Pros for light include: higher damage with 15% damage upgrade, higher critical damage with 250% critical damage upgrade, no need to aim (will hit an enemy behind you while you are running - very important), and seemingly incredible range despite the description of it having a shorter range than the other skills.

Pros for frost: also very high damage skill (equal to light without the damage upgrade), dot (damage over time with upgrade) and ability to slow enemies.

For PvP I personally would prefer light as it has higher damage and you don't have to aim it. If you want a more balanced build that is a little better for PvE, I would go with frost as it has better crowd control properties (although fire, frost, shield and life is still not so great for pve). You can also go for something a little atypical like frost, light, shield and life, which I know some people have tried and liked, but you lose the stun of fire. Just experiment around a little and see which works best for you :) There is no one "right" build for PvP, just one that hopefully works for you :)

i agree with everything exept that you need to aim ice skill, you dont, at least if you have 4/5 points on it (all exept artic shatter).

Alhuntrazeck
05-31-2013, 07:59 AM
Ice? Meh. Lightning's better. Ice's slow is nice but light paired with ribbit rules.

drgrimmy
05-31-2013, 08:36 AM
i agree with everything exept that you need to aim ice skill, you dont, at least if you have 4/5 points on it (all exept artic shatter).

Hmmm... Do you charge frost? I have always found that it only really shoots in front of you in PvP unless you charge it, and then it will go off to the side of you to hit an enemy, but not really behind you like Iight. I found that it works a little differently in pve vs PvP as it will often shoot behind thou in pve if you charge it and run past an enemy. Who knows they may have changed how it works in PvP since I used to use it a lot...

Azemeazed
05-31-2013, 08:54 AM
Hmmm... Do you charge frost? I have always found that it only really shoots in front of you in PvP unless you charge it, and then it will go off to the side of you to hit an enemy, but not really behind you like Iight. I found that it works a little differently in pve vs PvP as it will often shoot behind thou in pve if you charge it and run past an enemy. Who knows they may have changed how it works in PvP since I used to use it a lot...

yep it shoots behind your beck charged or not, in pve and pvp, guess its like with fireball, you need specific upgrade to shoot behind beck (+3 meter upgrade for fireball), but im not sure which one from these 3 upgrades. one is for sure, its not arctic shatter.

drgrimmy
05-31-2013, 12:46 PM
yep it shoots behind your beck charged or not, in pve and pvp, guess its like with fireball, you need specific upgrade to shoot behind beck (+3 meter upgrade for fireball), but im not sure which one from these 3 upgrades. one is for sure, its not arctic shatter.

My bad. Your right, just tried it out. They must of changed it from back in season 2 when I did most of my PvP and used frost alot. Sorry for the bit of mis-information. I only have the 2nd and 3rd upgrades (for DOT and for extended effect) and it still worked...

Excuses
05-31-2013, 02:03 PM
Ice? Meh. Lightning's better. Ice's slow is nice but light paired with ribbit rules.

I picked ice because

1. I don't really use ribbit. Even with crit buff it's not reliable as rogue or warrior for me.
2. No DoT on thunder. Dot weaken other team while I kite or kill them while they run.
3. Better mob control. Not only slow but dmg multiple target.
4. Mage suck on 1on1. Even with shield upgrade, still harder to beat other class even with mythic gears. (Cuz my noob warrior can beat most of well geared mage in 1on1. Or just I suck. Xp)
5. Longer range attack of mage is ice.

So I always stay with my team, try to stay alive and heal my party, especially my tanks. Not trying to kill but being like a tank.
I tried for two days now, works just fine.

I think it's just preference. I like to work together. =)

But still thunder is fascinating skill too. I have to admit.

katish
06-01-2013, 11:24 AM
I can take 99% of the rogues out there with my mage on pvp. With warriors i can take the bad to average ones.. it seems their cooldown on heal is faster than ours?! And with those stuns they have.. yeah so sometimes it works my way, other times it doesn't.

I really hate those warriors that burst thru the main fight and come after me .. my party is busy fighting the other team and I get a stalker! argh! most of my deaths come this way or when I don't have a shield and a rogue cathes me.

Mage 1x1 is anyone's game, or whoever is geared up best wins lol

I'm using ice on pvp now.. I like the DoT better than lightning but I'm still not set on my build.

will0
06-01-2013, 06:03 PM
I was told by by guild mates when PVP use Fire Stun > Slag Stun > rouge have no where to run :) that's only for 1v1 ... with also Time slows them down for easy target

drgrimmy
06-01-2013, 07:03 PM
I was told by by guild mates when PVP use Fire Stun > Slag Stun > rouge have no where to run :) that's only for 1v1 ... with also Time slows them down for easy target

Yep, slag stun is actually "panic" and not a stun so the stun immunity does not apply. So fireball stun followed by slag's arcane after the stun wears off works great (unless they have changed this too :()

Energizeric
06-01-2013, 09:16 PM
I think pvp is pretty balanced now. I can beat most players of all classes 1 on 1 at this point. Yes there are some who can beat me consistently, but not any one particular class. You just have to know different strategies to use on different classes and players with different types of gear.

Excuses
06-02-2013, 06:42 PM
Wow. For me it's so hard to fight both classes.
Rogue has too much dmg and warrior is just too strong. (Heal cd is all 10sec)
Maybe I should figure out how to fight.. or use thunder for better dmg and stun chance.

Anyways. I am thinking to try thunder over ice because everywhere even in elite, bosses are crazy hard now, compared mobs. I mean, going to the boss is not a big deal, but killing it is hard. (Time+ice was so good.. but if I have to give up on of it, time works better on mobs for me.... )
And for pvp too, kind of feel like need more dmg when teams have too many warriors.
Any thoughts...?

katish
06-02-2013, 09:25 PM
Maybe u'r just not getting good teams?!

Mages are not the best class to fight bosses, we're a crowd control class, period. We have average damage but it's AoE, that's where we shine in pve, with mobs.

In PvP in a good match, the rogues always get more kills, but I usually get the second place. I die a lot too so I'm probably not the best mage to be taking advice on pvp lol.. I guess i'm just careless and charge ahead too much.

ANy more than 2 warriors on opposing team, if yours doesn't have 2 also, it's a nightmare they just have so much health!

I did have fun the other day with a team full of mages, we rocked the arena!

Azemeazed
06-03-2013, 06:33 AM
good team is very important. even weakest member of good team can kill you if your team is bad. also gear is very important. and try to use skills which goes good with rifle, ranged skills, and try not to come close to enemy but shoot from far. try to use your heal only after the battle to recharge groups mana, or if you got shield on you can heal their health in the middle of fight too. never engage fight 1v1 with rogue unless your shield is ready. vs warrior you always need to keep distance and shoot all the time. my strategy vs rogues is shield, fireball, slag, and then shoot all i can. vs warrior i try to charge all my skills, fireball and ice and always keep distance. players just hate it when you kill them during running away and they cant stop following you couse they think you got low hp. i always run and shoot and make oponnent to follow me.
its impossible to have most effective build for pvp and pve in same time. pvp needs heal shield light and fire, yet pve needs 3 attack skills. if you want heal and shield for pvp and yet be good enough in pve, you need 2 ranged aoe skills, and fireball and ice are best for me.
i tried many builds for hybrid build (pvp and pve) and so far ice, fire, shield, heal suits me best.
my skills are 4/5 fire (all exept 25% hit), 4/5 ice (all exept arctic shatter), 4/5 heal (all exept radius), 4/5 shield (all exept knockback), 4/5 str, 5/5 int, 5/5 dex. i could remove points from regenerate mana and hp over time from my heal skill, but i need it for soloing pve and to save potions, in pvp its not so usefull couse i rarely charge heal skill when in 1v1 fight, i charge it only after battle to regenerate groups mana, and i also dont like to have only 2 points in some skill, which is personal problem :-)
also maybe points in passive damage would be betther than dex but i dont like it couse its not visible my character, also personal problem :-)

if you go with 4/5 ice, 4/5 fire 4/5 shield 2/5 heal 5/5 int 5/5 damage 5/5 str 1/5 dex or 5/5 dex and 1/5 damage you would probably be close to perfection in hybrid build.

i think of my self as good mage, i have 3:1 kdr in pvp and since lvl26 its 4:1 but in general its 3:1 couse i had lots of deaths on lvl 21.
in pve i can solo hauntlet without meds in less than 2:30 mins, also i have no problems with km3, wt4, kraag tombs4. i can finish nordia mines in less than 9 mins with good team. im close to 200k kills in pve and have 5100+ kills in pvp.