PDA

View Full Version : Ursan (Warrior) Manual

Gavry
10-14-2010, 07:29 PM
Hello fellow Ursan. I am in the daunting process of trying to put together a Pocket Legends manual. I have started with the Ursan section as this is the area I have the most knowledge in. Listed below is a link the the Google Docs page. I would love some feedback on what is there right now, what is missing and what you don't agree with.

Thanks

Ursan Section (https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1oUtaDxQ88iGJtbrJb4PZldriQtv6Q-iF9zYPFlvXTb0)

PS - For those interested in assisting with the manual please check out this forum post (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?9638-Pocket-Legends-Manual).

Gryndeon
10-15-2010, 01:27 AM
I think it's very well-done. There are a couple of spelling errors, but they're pretty minor (you wrote "send" instead of "second" and "compliment" instead of "complement"). Speaking as a relative warrior newbie, it has helped me a lot in understanding how the bear works.

My main char is a Mage, and the playing style is almost diametrically opposite to the warrior's. I was having a difficult time figuring out how to tank because my Mage instinct dictates that I hold back and let someone else do the tanking. Reading the manual went a long way into explaining how things are done. The discussion of the different skills and when and how to use them has been particularly helpful.

Thanks for a great resource.

Stratospaly
10-15-2010, 08:12 AM
That looks great, could we get a direct link instead of opening 3 windows to get to it? also can we get a direct link post to it stickied? My main concern with the whole thing is the order of skills used. If a mob is properly debuffed your damage does a lot more, so why buff, damage, debuff as a tank? My rotation is buff, aggro (taunt and becon), debuff, damage. on the 2nd round of debuffs I try to time mine just after the mage and possibly bird. Getting -100 damage on the boss ASAP is critical to tanking so you do not get crit and die.

After the fight is stabalized, then you can work on the combos. Or are you using the damage for more of an aggro componant to keep the boss on you? In a decent group everyone should stay back for 5+ seconds, other than debuffing damage... let the tank get aggro, and position, then go nuts on the boss. That 5 seconds that the group is whaling on the boss could lead to a wipe, or with restraint, an easy and smooth boss kill.

Gavry
10-15-2010, 02:59 PM
I think it's very well-done. There are a couple of spelling errors, but they're pretty minor (you wrote "send" instead of "second" and "compliment" instead of "complement"). Speaking as a relative warrior newbie, it has helped me a lot in understanding how the bear works.

My main char is a Mage, and the playing style is almost diametrically opposite to the warrior's. I was having a difficult time figuring out how to tank because my Mage instinct dictates that I hold back and let someone else do the tanking. Reading the manual went a long way into explaining how things are done. The discussion of the different skills and when and how to use them has been particularly helpful.

Thanks for a great resource.

Thanks a lot for the feedback. Generally when I write I just throw stuff down and then revisit so I inevitably have grammatical and spelling errors. I have gone through and fixed the points you listed.

Gavry
10-15-2010, 03:05 PM
That looks great, could we get a direct link instead of opening 3 windows to get to it? also can we get a direct link post to it stickied? My main concern with the whole thing is the order of skills used. If a mob is properly debuffed your damage does a lot more, so why buff, damage, debuff as a tank? My rotation is buff, aggro (taunt and becon), debuff, damage. on the 2nd round of debuffs I try to time mine just after the mage and possibly bird. Getting -100 damage on the boss ASAP is critical to tanking so you do not get crit and die.

After the fight is stabalized, then you can work on the combos. Or are you using the damage for more of an aggro componant to keep the boss on you? In a decent group everyone should stay back for 5+ seconds, other than debuffing damage... let the tank get aggro, and position, then go nuts on the boss. That 5 seconds that the group is whaling on the boss could lead to a wipe, or with restraint, an easy and smooth boss kill.

The order is actually, Buff, (wait for party member De-Bufs), De-Buf, and then damage.

If you have timed your Iron Blood, Evade and Taunt you should be able to survive for the first 12 seconds while party members are letting loose with their De-Bufs. Once that time has expired you can let rip with your De-Bufs and damage skills to maximise the negative effect on the enemy and maximise your groups damage.

I find if you Buf and De-Buf straight away you are left with a nasty 30 second window where your Bufs and De-Bufs have all run out and you are tanking with no help. Here is where the wipe will occur if it is going to. If you can stagger your Buf and De-Buf a little you have the greatest chance of surviving. Especially in the later levels where the Bosses really pack a punch.

Stratospaly
10-15-2010, 03:10 PM
I understand now. It seems this is only the case with Ao3, every Ao2 and under group I have ever been in has been a disorganized mess where mages and birds simply do not cast debuffs. I have been underleveled in Ao2, and had to fully debuff to stay alive as the only tank in the group.

I guess my taunt and becon could be the filler inbetween buffing and debuffing. I could instruct groupmembers to debuff when they see red !!!!! over my head, then immidiatly after I hellscream.

smoae
10-15-2010, 05:47 PM
the amount healed by restore also increases by how much inteligence you have, even for a warrior. don't know how much, but i'm a warrior with about 50 intel I get around 50-60 per heal.
you should add that in as a note under restore.
heres the link to the content update showing this...
http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?6696-1.4-Content-Update-%2850054%29

Varking
10-15-2010, 07:11 PM
Changed words, fixed grammar and spelling. I don't have a high level Ursan so this is all I can contribute so far.

SlipperyJim
10-22-2010, 09:18 AM
Nice guide, Gavry! Very well done. :)

I've always thought that Ursans are about tanking, not damage, and we should always choose a shield and one-handed weapon over the two-handed weapons. It's good to see that someone else agrees with me!

My only quibble is with your de-prioritization of H/s regen. No, it won't save you from bosses with their crazy one-shot kills. However, I've found a high H/s regen to be most useful in keeping the lesser mobs from nibbling me to death.

Gavry
10-23-2010, 01:08 AM
Nice guide, Gavry! Very well done. :)

I've always thought that Ursans are about tanking, not damage, and we should always choose a shield and one-handed weapon over the two-handed weapons. It's good to see that someone else agrees with me!

My only quibble is with your de-prioritization of H/s regen. No, it won't save you from bosses with their crazy one-shot kills. However, I've found a high H/s regen to be most useful in keeping the lesser mobs from nibbling me to death.

Your point about H/s is noted. I have reworded the equipment section to take this into account.

I think this section is now all but complete. I'd love feedback from experienced players who have made and play the three specific builds I have listed at the end of the document. In particular can you give me an idea on the following so I can finish this section:

1. Attribute Allocation.
2. Skill selection.
3. Equipment Selection.

Thanks

Catfishstew
10-27-2010, 10:32 PM
Thx, this helped me alot, warrior: catfishstew, add me

Shway
11-09-2010, 02:22 PM
Wow very nicely done! Just started this game last night and it's nice to see that things like this are being made. I'm just sorta doing research, don't plan on being a warrior but this is still a dope find!

Couple quick questions though; how do you get the minimum str goals? I assume it's just based off gear requirements? Can the same sort of logic be applied to the other classes when building hybrids? Don't wanna get too off topic so a quick answer to the second question is fine :)

Gavry
11-10-2010, 06:28 AM
The stat goals are pretty much consistent across all three classes.

JamesT
11-11-2010, 11:33 AM
Great guide. When will builds be added?

Derajdefyre
11-16-2010, 01:01 PM
This guide is wonderful. I love the skill breakdowns! I would really love it if you also had attribute breakdowns. What does 1 point of each attribute ACTUALLY get you? You mentioned how much int for 1 point of mana regen, but how much for 2 mana regen? Is it linear? What about how much dex for 1 armor or hit? What about str for 1 point of health or health regen?

Gavry
11-16-2010, 02:11 PM
I may do some respecs again to get this. Maybe soon

spitzehare
12-09-2010, 02:04 PM
i suppose its too early along to ask for the berserker section?

ssyzzyggy
12-10-2010, 06:06 PM
wow
thank you for this

apologies to all previous party members
I will now practice being a true tank

the Sszzygmiester