PDA

View Full Version : ***Music: Through My Eyes***

CrimsonTider
06-12-2013, 01:13 PM
Howdy all!

Summertime brings us a lot of things: Swimming, beaches, ice cream, sunburns, long days, sleeping late, and YARD WORK! Ugh...

Anyway, while mowing today, I was listening to my playlist of over 2,000 of my favorite songs. I listen to music to help pass time while I work, study, drive, and even while playing games. Music has done a lot for me throughout the years. It has brought me joy and laughter. It has taught me lessons on life. It has helped me get through hard times and brought several tears to my eyes. Music also provides me memories which I will always hold dear to my heart.

Today, I have decided to begin make threads every so often to share with each of you the songs which have given so much to me over the years. I will provide the stories behind them and a little history on the songs/artists themselves.

Today's song is "Hook" by Blues Traveler. This song came out in the early '90's while I was in the last days of my high school career. Blues Traveler was a new band and several friends had told me about them, but I refused to listen. One day, I was at my best friends house and we were watching MTV (back in the day, they actually played music videos! Go figure!) and the video for "Hook" came on. Even though the video made NO sense to me at the time, I was drawn in to the voice of lead singer John Popper. We immediately left his house and I bought the cd. We listened to that cd driving around town for hours and was always on our playlist each time we went riding around.

A couple of years ago, I was lucky enough to see Blues Traveler at a small benefit concert in Alabama. They sounded amazing and I stood literally 10 feet away from Mr. Popper. Below is the video which started my love for this band. I have chosen this song because it relates to the forums soooo much, it's uncanny. Here it is:

http://youtu.be/pdz5kCaCRFM

Can you tell me why it relates to the forums nowadays? ;)

Thanks for taking the time to read and I will continue providing more of these threads in the near future.

CrimsonTider
06-12-2013, 02:34 PM
Forgot to add the lyrics:

It doesn't matter what I say
So long as I sing with inflection
That makes you feel I'll convey
Some inner truth or vast reflection
But I've said nothing so far
And I can keep it up for as long as it takes
And it don't matter who you are
If I'm doing my job then it's your resolve that breaks

Because the hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

There is something amiss
I am being insincere
In fact I don't mean any of this
Still my confession draws you near
To confuse the issue I refer
To familiar heroes from long ago
No matter how much Peter loved her
What made the Pan refuse to grow

Was that the hook brings you back
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Suck it in, suck it in, suck it in
If you're Rin Tin Tin or Anne Boleyn
Make a desperate move or else you'll win
And then begin to see what you're doing to me
This MTV is not for free
It's so PC it's killing me
So desperately I sing to thee
Of love
Sure but also of rage and hate and pain and fear of self
And I can't keep these feelings on the shelf
I've tried, well, no in fact I lied
Could be financial suicide but I've got too much pride inside
To hide or slide
I'll do as I'll decide and let it ride until I've died
And only then shall I abide this tide
Of catchy little tunes
Of hip three minute ditties
I wanna bust all your balloons
I wanna burn all of your cities to the ground
I've found
I will not mess around
Unless I play then hey
I will go on all day. Hear what I say
I have a prayer to pray
That's really all this was
And when I'm feeling stuck and need a buck
I don't rely on luck because

The hook brings you back
The hook
On that you can rely
Lyrics from <a href="http://www.elyrics.net">eLyrics.net</a>

Kraze
06-12-2013, 02:48 PM
Here's a song for you old man
"Lalalalalala join us in AL lalalalala all the cool kids are there lalalalala"

XghostzX
06-12-2013, 02:49 PM
Cool taste in music, Brian! What other artists are you into?

CrimsonTider
06-12-2013, 02:54 PM

Ummmm... I have seen a few of your peeps in PL the last few days. Seems like AL is losing some peeps, may explain why you guys are getting so many updates. o.O

@Will - You shall see, kind sir! More to come as the days go by.

Kraze
06-12-2013, 03:03 PM

Ummmm... I have seen a few of your peeps in PL the last few days. Seems like AL is losing some peeps, may explain why you guys are getting so many updates. o.O

Pfft you are seeing echoes of awesome, optical illusions, or simply going senile buddy. I can only speed for me but if you see me in pl it's refugee outreach. Friends don't let friends be left behind

CrimsonTider
06-12-2013, 07:44 PM
Surprised there have been no guesses yet. o.O

Caiahar
06-12-2013, 10:10 PM
Surprised there have been no guesses yet. o.O
Been reading it, little by little, im kinda understanding how it relates to these forums. Not 100% sure yet to make a guess o3o

CrimsonTider
06-12-2013, 10:23 PM
Been reading it, little by little, im kinda understanding how it relates to these forums. Not 100% sure yet to make a guess o3o

You're gonna hate yourself after I explain it. ;)

Caiahar
06-12-2013, 10:29 PM

You're gonna hate yourself after I explain it. ;)
Neva understood these strange music stuff :D
Never really got into music nor bands o.O

DocDoBig
06-13-2013, 03:40 PM
Cool reading Crim, i always wanted to make a thread about my playlist by myself - never had time though or forgot about it.

One request: Can we share our favourite songs here (with the stories behind it of course) ?

CrimsonTider
06-13-2013, 03:44 PM
Cool reading Crim, i always wanted to make a thread about my playlist by myself - never had time though or forgot about it.

One request: Can we share our favourite songs here (with the stories behind it of course) ?

Sure!

I debated whether I was going to make a thread for each song I post or just keep it in this one. I'll just add to this one as I feel the need.

Pandamoni
06-13-2013, 03:50 PM
The hook brings us back. No one ever truly leaves? Either that or we all lay around in our underwear playing or forum'ing, reloading, playing a game or talking to people in a game while real life passes us by. I can't tell you the last time I picked up a book lol

CrimsonTider
06-13-2013, 03:52 PM
The hook brings us back. No one ever truly leaves? Either that or we all lay around in our underwear playing or forum'ing, reloading, playing a game or talking to people in a game while real life passes us by. I can't tell you the last time I picked up a book lol

Close, but no cigar. ;) Pay close attention to the first verse. The answer lies within.

Xbuddyjosh
06-13-2013, 04:05 PM
The last 2 or 3 lines reminds me of people flaming posts

CrimsonTider
06-13-2013, 05:27 PM
K... I give.

The song states that the only part of a song that actually gets you to listen is "The Hook." In the song, he says that he can practically say ANYTHING, and he does, and in the end, its the hook that brings you back. The forums are a lot like this, we talk about all sorts of stuff which makes NO sense and yet, we keep coming back.

Anyway, I'll be bringing another song soon. Stay tuned...

dudetus
06-13-2013, 06:07 PM
I personally love Gorillaz - Feel Good Inc.

I saw the musicvideo for it on MTV (when there was still music!) and loved it. I always thought the song had enviromental and political pointers but few years later I realized the song was about one night naughtynaughtiesforadults and naughtynaughtyadultdiseases.

I fell even more in love with the song.

CrimsonTider
06-15-2013, 10:01 AM
Time for the next one!

This one takes me back to my childhood. (Wow... really dating myself here.) ;) Anyway, I spent a lot of time at my Aunt's house playing basketball and Intelevision with my cousins. We always listened to music and one day, they played this song I could NOT get out of my head! I asked them to make a copy on a cassette tape so I could have it to listen to at home. My cousin made a copy of the entire album and I took it home and listened to it religiously. This one song, though, was my first real taste of rap and I was determined to memorize the entire song in one day. And I did! I can still recite the words today and anytime I hear the song on tv or the radio, I grin and break it down. My kids were shocked to find out it was almost 25 years old.

That song: "Bust a Move" by Young MC. Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/xy4FXhkm6Nw

CrimsonTider
06-17-2013, 07:28 PM
Guess what is next?? :)

This next song is NOT my favorite by this band, but I mention it because it was my very first taste of Metal. As a child of the 80's, I grew up in the "Hair Band" era. I listened to Bon Jovi, Motley Crue, Skid Row, and so on. However, I had never ventured into the Heavy Metal side of music, that is, until one day when riding home from school with my best friend. As soon as we got in his car, he says, "Dude, listen to this single I bought last night!" Please remember, back in the day, artists would release "singles" in addition to the full album. My buddy and I would travel to the local music store and browse the singles section for hours. Anyway.... He shoves the cassette into his stereo, and before we had left the school parking lot, my mouth had hit the floor. Not from shock, but from pure awe.

Instead of going home, we went straight to the music store to buy the album. That song was "Enter Sandman" and that group is Metallica, one of my top 3 favorite bands. Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/CD-E-LDc384

KingFu
06-17-2013, 07:45 PM
Cool taste in music, Bryan! What other artists are you into?

Fixed.

You always seemed like the Belieber time to me Bryan, I'm disappointed.

CrimsonTider
06-18-2013, 11:03 AM
Fixed.

You always seemed like the Belieber time to me Bryan, I'm disappointed.

You should be banned for that statement. ;) Even my teenage daughters hate him.

Pandamoni
06-18-2013, 01:11 PM
hehe the long hair. ahhhh. I never liked metal but had a begrudging respect for Metallica. I was more a Pearl Jam girl if I was going to listen to anything outside of my typical favorite genres. My husband, on the other hand, was a total rocker when we were young. I used to tease him for it (we've dated since I was 14) lol

CrimsonTider
10-05-2017, 09:44 PM
It's time to wake these forums up, peeps!

Today, I bring you Joe Walsh: guitar legend.

Joe Walsh is the lead guitarist for The Eagles and has a very productive solo career to include composing/writing for several well known musicians, and bands. He has a fluid style, and is widely considered one of the greatest guitarists ever. The video below is Mr. Walsh playing with another one of my all-time favorites: Daryl Hall. If you are not familiar with show, Live at Daryl's House is amazing and a "must watch" for any generation.

You're welcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n9TJtolKPI&t=2528s

Brave Sir Robin
11-28-2017, 09:53 AM
Hey Crim, glad you are still around. Songie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRL9l8tDtSg

Everybody knows that we live in a world
Where they give bad names to beautiful things
Everybody knows that we live in a world
Where we don't give beautiful things a second glance

Heaven only knows that we live in a world
Where what we call beautiful is just something on sale