PDA

View Full Version : To all you nerds and gamers out there!

Thatkidoverthere
06-17-2013, 02:23 AM
Acer recently made 25 limited edition R7 laptops that are made for Star Trek fans. The laptops come with a signed poster by the cast of Star Trek. The laptop's sale value goes to charity so its for a good cause. The current selling price for one is a little over $7,000 USD at the minute. Pictures below. 33120 33121

Schnitzel
06-17-2013, 09:07 PM
*jaw falls on floor*
$7, 000?
Too expensive :/

Zeus
06-17-2013, 10:02 PM
$7000 for an Acer? LOL!

Cascade
06-17-2013, 10:20 PM
$7000 for an Acer? LOL!

Well there are 25 limited edition laptops in the world. Seems like they will sell them to super fans that really enjoy ST.

joshtheboss
06-17-2013, 10:23 PM
Well there are 25 limited edition laptops in the world. Seems like they will sell them to super fans that really enjoy ST*.

Gimmicks*

Noodleleg
06-17-2013, 10:33 PM
Those 25 are probably all sold out anyways hahaha! There are some crazy Star Trek fans out there :p!

Zeus
06-17-2013, 10:47 PM
Well there are 25 limited edition laptops in the world. Seems like they will sell them to super fans that really enjoy ST.

Honestly, bottom line is that it's still made by Acer. Even as a ST fan, I would never disgrace ST by using as shoddy laptop manufacturer as Acer to represent ST. To be honest, that is insulting.

Cascade
06-17-2013, 10:52 PM
Honestly, bottom line is that it's still made by Acer. Even as a ST fan, I would never disgrace ST by using as shoddy laptop manufacturer as Acer to represent ST. To be honest, that is insulting.

Most brands that are known for making shoddy equipment can make excellent quality products, they just cut corners to make more money. Nonetheless, people will still buy them i'm sure.

Iphoneington
06-17-2013, 11:03 PM
$7000 for an Acer? LOL! Now $7,000 is a bit too high for Acer, unless it were to be a good gaming computer, then I wouldn't pay this much. Maybe $3,000 ._.

WhoIsThis
06-17-2013, 11:20 PM
It's a publicity stunt.

And to the OP, this isn't really for "gaming nerds". There's no way that laptop would be able to support a GPU that I would consider high end suitable for gaming. Serious gaming laptops are offered by Clevo, Alienware, MSI, and Asus. They are much thicker due to their GPUs and require a substantially beefed up cooling solution compared to what the laptop shown in the picture offers. There's no way that laptop would ever be able to support a top of the line GPU, at least not without serious thermal issues and a short battery life.

KingFu
06-17-2013, 11:55 PM

You said you'd never even heard of Star Trek when I had asked you...

$7k for a laptop is absurd though, not to mention it being an Acer. If I were to spend $7k on Star Trek memorobilia I'd sooner buy an authentic bat'leth used on the set, or one of Shatner's toupees. Not an overpriced laptop made by Acer with the Starfleet logo on the box.

Edit:

@Chris Ew, Alienware :s

WhoIsThis
06-18-2013, 12:24 AM
It is true that I disagree with much that Alienware's desktop line stands for. They are usually overpriced and they do skimp out on some critical parts - the PSU and motherboards on Alienware desktops tend to be subpar. Their cases are also a matter of form over function - not optimized for maximum heat dispersion (important to keep the OC headroom as high as possible). Usually people who buy them are unsophisticated users who have the money, but not the knowledge to build their own rigs. No self respecting desktop enthusiast would ever buy Alienware desktops.

For laptops, though, things are different. There is a well-informed enthusiast community around the Alienware laptops, who know how to service and in many cases optimize their Alienware laptops. Alienware laptops certainly have their flaws (display quality could be better, the wrist rest causes discomfort, and the cooling solution is inferior to that of Asus - plus on the M18x R4, the SLI cable was known to melt), but they are not that bad laptops. All the vendors have their issues.

Edit:
Also, the other thing to consider is aesthetics. You'll either like Alienware or you'll think it's crazy and overdone.

Zeus
06-18-2013, 03:06 AM
You said you'd never even heard of Star Trek when I had asked you...

$7k for a laptop is absurd though, not to mention it being an Acer. If I were to spend $7k on Star Trek memorobilia I'd sooner buy an authentic bat'leth used on the set, or one of Shatner's toupees. Not an overpriced laptop made by Acer with the Starfleet logo on the box.

Edit:

@Chris Ew, Alienware :s

I was kidding with you, lol. Yes, I've heard of it, but at the time I didn't watch the movies. Now? Considered me transformed. xD

Schnitzel
06-18-2013, 08:28 AM
Just outta curiosity what is alienware?

loliamsocool
06-18-2013, 09:10 AM
Just outta curiosity what is alienware?

Overhyped brand, but their designs and keyboard/mouses are pretty darn good.

WhoIsThis
06-18-2013, 10:47 AM
Overhyped brand, but their designs and keyboard/mouses are pretty darn good.

Not sure if you're referring to desktop or laptop.

Alienware's laptops though do have pretty good ergonomics. They've got this distinct "rubbery feel", although the wrist wrest being under the speakers can get uncomfortable (see below). My biggest complaint is the display though - it's an ok TN display, but for the money spent, I'd expect a better one at the price point offered.

Among the others:

- Clevo is a Taiwanese maker that has many resellers (ex: Sager, Eurocom). They often offer desktop grade CPUs in their machines. Weak points are the poor ergonomics and the fact that the battery life is more like a UPS. Oh and aesthetics are not as good. That being said they make some decent professional laptops.

- MSI - be careful. Their Lightning GPUs are the best around, but their motherboards (earned a bad reputation for VRMs blowing up on some of their AMD boards) and laptops are not consistent. Good when they're good - unacceptably and shockingly bad when they're not. Stay away from their latest model (at time of this writing).

See: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7076/msi-gt70-dragon-edition-notebook-review-haswell-and-the-gtx-780m/4

At this point, the problem is pretty evident: MSI is trying to cool both a high performance mobile CPU and a high performance mobile GPU with a single fan. The cooling system has one fan with a pair of heatsinks around it: cool air comes in through the back of the GT70 and through the GPU's heatsink array, and then the hot air pulled off of that is used to cool the CPU's heatsink array behind the GT70's exhaust.

The CPU is throttling. Noise levels remain reasonable during gaming, but that's because the CPU is essentially cooking itself. And keep in mind that the GPU is getting cooled first, so the GTX 780M's boost has a healthy amount of headroom to play with. Now, MSI does have a "feature" that can be employed to mitigate thermal issues.

For a gaming laptop ... that's intolerable. On that note, most gaming laptops have at least 2 fans running at full speed, which is why this MSI one is overheating badly.

That said, the good models of MSI are well, pretty good. Competitive price to performance ratio, some unique features, and a few other perks. You'll either love or hate the styling though - it feels "cheap" IMO.

- Asus - pretty good laptops. Competitive price to performance ratio, although they've been trying to move up in the higher end market. They usually use some of the best TN displays on the market. Not bad ergonomics and good materials (and what reviewers call build quality). Hopefully they'll start offering more models with top end GPUs. They do need to put bigger speakers. Finally their cooling system - best of all the gaming laptops I've seen (or at least it was in the older models, I'll withhold judgement to see the temps on this year's model). One of the great things about Asus is that they've made their gaming laptops easier to upgrade than others. On the downside, Asus support is known to be pretty bad.

Here's their new model: The Asus G750

Edit:
Temps look really good.

Check it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_yy4PYJXGA0#!

Personally if I were to buy (and I'm not in the market for one right now), I'd go with the Asus or the Alienware, probably the Asus. For what you're getting it's competitively priced.

Schnitzel
06-18-2013, 12:40 PM
That colorful light up keyboard is cool..
shiny..

WhoIsThis
06-18-2013, 12:54 PM
That colorful light up keyboard is cool..
shiny..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQkn0DxUwZs

Not very practical though for a day machine. Usually you'll just set the backlight to something not distracting and use the laptop. That and Alienware does command a huge price premium.

Edit: A couple of years ago in the PC modding world, acrylic cases too were all the rage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3e0GO1D7_E

Cascade
06-18-2013, 01:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQkn0DxUwZs

Not very practical though for a day machine. Usually you'll just set the backlight to something not distracting and use the laptop. That and Alienware does command a huge price premium.

Edit: A couple of years ago in the PC modding world, acrylic cases too were all the rage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3e0GO1D7_E

Seems like a mean, green, overheatin' machine.

WhoIsThis
06-18-2013, 04:20 PM
Seems like a mean, green, overheatin' machine.

LED's in general use very little power.

That and looking at the computer's specs:

Mobo: Asus M3A78-EM
CPU: AMD Phenom II X 940 Quad-Core (AM2+) @ 3.00 ghz
RAM: 4gb Patriot 1033mhz
HDD: 320gb WD Caviar SATA (soon to upgrade to a 1.5tb!!)
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1gb GDDR5
DVD: NEC DL+- Burner 12x write and 4x re-write DLs (50x MAX for CD-RW)
PSU: Apevia Aspire 550W w/ green UV reactive cables
Fans: (3) Logisys 120mm UV cold cathode; (1) 120mm Logisys Blue LED; (1) 80mm Ultra whisper quiet UV reactive blue

For it's day, it would have been a low end to midranged system. Overheating so long as he had a good heatsink would have been a non-issue.

Thatkidoverthere
06-18-2013, 09:29 PM
The current bid for the Star Trek Laptop (theyre being auctioned off one by one) has reached $7,700 dollars at this point in time. Personally if I were to spend $7,700 on a computer, Id build my own desktop rig. Theres one for sale right now that I would be interested in since it was build just for the purpose of gaming. The specs are as follows:

Intel S2600COE SSI EEB Server Motherboard Dual LGA 2011
Intel Xeon E5-4650 Sandy Bridge-EP 2.7GHz LGA 2011 130W 8-Core Server Processor (X2)
ASUS GTXTITAN 6GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Video Card (X4)
Kingston 512GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Registered DDR3 1333 Server Memory
Seagate Pulsar.2 800GB 2.5" SAS 6Gb/s MLC Enterprise Solid State Disk (X10)
EVGA SuperNOVA NEX1500 Classified 1500W 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply (X2)
LG BDXL Blu-ray Burner (x4)
SilverStone Temjin Series TJ11B-W Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case
2 Complete FrozenCPU Water-Cooling Loops for Both Processors, all Four GTX Titans, and the Motherboard's Chipset

Then it has extras such as 95-in 1 SD Card Reader, Wireless N WiFi Card, A Fan Controller, 8 120MM Fans, Temperature Gauge, Cold Cathode Lighting, Decals

Software: Windows 7 Ultimate or Windows 8 and Adobe Creative Suite 6

The main problem I see with it is, that it costs a little over $150,000 to buy, yes $150,000

Heres a picture for you, not that extreme looking, just looks normal.

WhoIsThis
06-19-2013, 02:40 PM
That's just an empty TJ11 case.

Thatkidoverthere
06-21-2013, 03:04 PM
That's just an empty TJ11 case.

This is awkward, but thats the picture the seller had with it, Ill see if I cant find another one and change the picture to that