PDA

View Full Version : Bird Tank/Archer weilding swords?

Dreadnought
04-29-2010, 12:02 PM
So what's the deal on this build? I'm new and I have been hearing people saying that this is a good build however I cannot find a guide on this.

Can someone tell me pros/cons, what stats to invest and skills to spend on? Thanks alot.

pyro
04-29-2010, 02:27 PM
I'm not an expert at that build, but i'm starting to prepare a new character to try a melee bird, so let me try to explain some of the stuff.

The archer IS designed to play both range and melee, as there are two classes of one-handed weapons (knives and thrown daggers I think) and archer specific, dexterity-requiring shields.

I would describe a melee archer as more of a melee DPS/glass cannon than a tank. You should be able to do much more DPS than any warrior could (with focus turned on, maybe break armor, the explosion shot thing, etc.) and you will have decent dodge and can put some points into evasion, but ultimately you can go down with just a couple good hits from a boss…*so you can probably tank smaller groups, but just nothing crazy.

The thing is I've also heard that this type of archer was somewhat nerfed in a previous patch, and bows will period output more DPS right now, so I think for the moment it's more of a 'for fun' class to try out.

LordRaid
04-29-2010, 11:24 PM
I'm not an expert at that build, but i'm starting to prepare a new character to try a melee bird, so let me try to explain some of the stuff.

The archer IS designed to play both range and melee, as there are two classes of one-handed weapons (knives and thrown daggers I think) and archer specific, dexterity-requiring shields.

I would describe a melee archer as more of a melee DPS/glass cannon than a tank. You should be able to do much more DPS than any warrior could (with focus turned on, maybe break armor, the explosion shot thing, etc.) and you will have decent dodge and can put some points into evasion, but ultimately you can go down with just a couple good hits from a boss…*so you can probably tank smaller groups, but just nothing crazy.

The thing is I've also heard that this type of archer was somewhat nerfed in a previous patch, and bows will period output more DPS right now, so I think for the moment it's more of a 'for fun' class to try out.

Truth. The dagger weapons (sais, daggers, talons) as far as I know had a nerf, especially in the speed department (some before a recent patch had 0.6 speed, now most 1.0/1,1).

Esus
04-30-2010, 12:12 AM
I just came across a epic dagger and avain sheild. With focus on I was hittin crit at 117 almost every swing, plus the added defense mixed with max evasion. Over all it works pretty good, although you do tend to draw alot of attention with these weapons. But it's still pretty good.

Dreadnought
04-30-2010, 01:09 AM
Ok thanks. Do you recommend me (a noob) trying it out? Would I need to invest points in strength for the h/s since it's not a good tank?

Also, why do enchantress attacks do like 40-50 when you first start but archers like 10-20 and warriors even less?

If it's not suitable which other build would you suggest?

SlipperyJim
04-30-2010, 06:33 AM
If you want to be a Tank, you need Strength to use Warrior equipment. Warriors' armour is better than Archers' armour, so you'll want to wear it. Also, your post mentions swords, which are Warrior weapons and require Strength to use.

A Strength Archer might be fun. Sorta the opposite of Splurd's Bow Bear (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?1017-The-Bow-Bear.-pew-pew-pew)....

RebelMime
05-01-2010, 03:35 AM
I've got a level 18 strength archer. Right now I've got about 60 in strength and high 30s in dex. I'm wearing all warrior gear including a Crocs Nature Chain (+1 to both regens) and a 2H sword. Lvl 5 Focus, Blast Shot, and Evade. Lvl 2 in the heal/ regen skill. (I respecced)

It is quite a glass cannon. I use Evade and Focus before every group of enemies > 2. They die really quickly, especially if I can blast shot a group (which you can still do from a decent range). The evade prevents me from taking too much damage and I use heal between groups of enemies. With 2 M/S I never have mana problems at all. The bar is full the majority of the time.

The main problem with this build is fighting main bosses. If you have the aggro, you'll be pressing the health pot button a lot which may not even be enough. Three good shots in a row from a strong boss and you're out. If you take it on with a team though, it'll be dead after only using about 3 pots. The little bosses can be solo'd without too much trouble.

I don't know how my dps compares to other archers, but this build is very fun and it always seems like I'm doing the most killing. I'll post stats tomorrow at some point.

Dreadnought
05-01-2010, 11:11 AM
Thanks for your replies, SlipperyJim and RebelMine. I have just started my character as a dex archer (Energizer). He's at level 12 right now and seems quite good. I might try out the Bow Bear build later though.

In your opinion which is better, a pure dex archer or a strength/dex one?

RebelMime
05-01-2010, 07:54 PM
I don't know if there's one that's always better than the other. It just depends on how you want to play. Do you want to shoot from afar without worrying as much about health or do you want to get up close?

Also, if anyone decides to do a strength archer, two handed is definitely the way to go. I tried a one handed with shield and it just doesn't kill things fast enough to avoid dieing, even with the extra armor from the shield.