PDA

View Full Version : Are PvP and PvE exactly alike?

Ellyidol
10-17-2010, 11:37 PM
Hey guys.

What I'm trying to ask is that, is there no difference between PvE and PvP in terms of damage, armor, debuffs etc?

Cause I've been in games that reduce PvE effects by 30-50% (depending on game), so stuff like 200 base damage in PvE is still 200 base damage in PvP?

Since I see most tests are done in PvP (procs, debuff of weapons, etc), just wondering if its exactly the same in PvE.

Cheers!

Royce
10-17-2010, 11:41 PM
I'm tempted to think, at least as far as damage goes, they are different somehow. When PvP first came out, they did a bunch of tweaks with damage going down and up again dramatically, and that did not effect PvE at all. So they must be different in some way...

TwinkTastical
10-17-2010, 11:48 PM
Waaaay diferent. theres damage to armour ratios, for instance, a plat sword of legend, hits 150 in pve, maxes 4 in pvp
Also Dreamers darkbolt of presence, hits 300 pve, 105 pvp

Edit: If theres one thing i know.. its PvP

Royce
10-17-2010, 11:55 PM
Waaaay diferent. theres damage to armour ratios, for instance, a plat sword of legend, hits 150 in pve, maxes 4 in pvp
Also Dreamers darkbolt of presence, hits 300 pve, 105 pvp

Edit: If theres one thing i know.. its PvP

Yeah, but damage to armor ratios exist in PvE too. Come up against a high armor Str boss and that sword is less effective (though maybe not like PvP with the constant armor buffs). It would be interesting to know what exactly is different, and what variable they changed with the original modifications. Was it simply a damage cap or what? I'd also love to know if skill effects and weapon procs are identical in PvE and PvE, since PvP is the only way to really determine them.

TwinkTastical
10-17-2010, 11:57 PM
Procs are the same, BUT The ratios are wayyy more effective in pvp

Ellyidol
10-17-2010, 11:57 PM
I see, yeah I just haven't heard any official ratio or such. Also with how damage (for me at least) taken and received are always delayed, I can't always tell how much damage each skill or each weapon is doing.

TwinkTastical
10-17-2010, 11:58 PM
Im gonna find the formula.. brb

TwinkTastical
10-18-2010, 12:00 AM
I think each armour negates 5/8 of a damage.. if my calculationess was correct...

Royce
10-18-2010, 12:02 AM
Procs are the same

Yeah, but how do you know that really? I mean it would take massive sampling effort and high level statistics to determine, for instance, that in PvE, the proc from a Djinn Spear reduces target armor by exactly 15, and stacks, that lightning reduces target armor by 3 and damage by 4, etc. These are things we only know because you can get exact numbers from PvP, while in PvE you deal with wide damage ranges, and unkown target buffs, armor, etc.

TwinkTastical
10-18-2010, 12:04 AM
Aaaaaaaah , but, you can tap the thingy, then look at damage, tap again, look again, tap again Then do math... royces turn to hurt his brain.

Royce
10-18-2010, 12:09 AM
Aaaaaaaah , but, you can tap the thingy, then look at damage, tap again, look again, tap again Then do math... royces turn to hurt his brain.

Yeah, but even the simplest things like a damage buff, or armor debuff, can be confounded by unkown buff status/armor of your target, and for small buff/debuff testing (like the lightning skill) it would be really annoying to try simply because the debuff is much smaller than the damage range of most weapons (or the lightning skill itself). Anyway the easy answer is why wouldn't they be the same? It's just kind of weak, and I'd like real confirmation of some sort...

TwinkTastical
10-18-2010, 01:25 AM
I want... a... dev

jonboy
10-18-2010, 03:12 AM
You want a dev? You can't handle a dev.

Seriously though as testing is done in pvp, if there is a difference in weapon procs and damage ratios then things might be out of whack in our thinking.

Meta-Heads, to the Bat Cave.

Ellyidol
10-18-2010, 07:23 AM
Gahhh so much math/statistics to do! My brother is doing statistics so I know how much of a bother it can be from how he complains about it. lol

It might just not be worth it trying to figure out the ratios and such.

TwinkTastical
10-18-2010, 10:05 AM
Gahhh so much math/statistics to do! My brother is doing statistics so I know how much of a bother it can be from how he complains about it. lol

It might just not be worth it trying to figure out the ratios and such.
IT IS WORTH IT i need to know my exact damage down to the ten thousanth.... Cause some bosses have 50000.9999 HP.