PDA

View Full Version : ...and then I played Pocket Legends. [first impressions]

TheStoic
06-27-2013, 03:46 AM
you might say, wrong forum go to Pocket Legends bud. I prefer saying it here because the intention of this post is to give my first impressions of playing PL, having a background at AL, being my first MMORPG.

First impressions:
1. COMIC, everyone on the towns are wearing weird customes, maybe because the toons are animals and rendered comically. I cannot simply distinguish, which ones are best geared. Everyone looks like they are always wearing vanity items. Graphic-wise, its not really as polished as AL.
2. CONFUSING, I find the towns massive with different NPCs, maybe because I just started, didn't see the development of the town. As a starting player, I really don't know where to start, which NPC's to approach to ask some quests. I was even asking where to buy potions, I can't find it on the Store menu of the character.
3. TARGETING SYSTEM, when attacking enemies or smashing items, these direct toons which to attack and items to smash. What I find weird is that, an enemy is near me but the targeting system directs me to a farther enemy. Maybe there's an option to disable it or something, I have yet to discover it.
4. SKILLS, so many slots, don't know which to prioritize yet, but it has a COMBO move, just spamming the skills, didnt know how did the combo happen.
5. FREE VANITY, this one is cool tho would appear pretty common. Didn't expect to have this one on my stash, forerunner vanity, was it? better to hide those mismatched gears. Hoping AL would do the same.
6. Lastly, HIDE STATS, some high level hid their stats, we don't have it yet in AL.

I played with my Nexus 7, I still have my reservations if the graphics would look better if I played on a PC. Got to try it today.

Comparatively, Arcane Legends, IMO, is still the better game than PL. The human form, appeals to me visually rather than seeing PL with comic animals with ill-fitted gears. Don't get me wrong, this is a first impressions, I haven't gone deeper on the game, as I have yet to develop my paladin rhino.

Thanks for reading,

Phantomhorn [Lvl 10]<<<<my IGN
Paladin

Ainea
06-27-2013, 05:10 AM
Did the same a few days ago. It was all fun and giggles til some ill-mannered rhino farted all over me. Talk about a warm welcome!

In all seriousness, though, it really was fun, but - as you said - pretty confusing. That's probably due to a combination of my PL noobiness and the size of towns and amount of NPCs you already mentioned. I also found the targeting system weird. Finding a free vanity in my stash was a definite plus - and there's some cool promo codes (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?67928-GUIDE-Promo-Codes-LIST!) that grant you vanities instead of lvl 1 gear.

Y O L O
06-27-2013, 08:26 AM
did the same a few days ago. It was all fun and giggles til some ill-mannered rhino farted all over me.talk about a warm welcome!

In all seriousness, though, it really was fun, but - as you said - pretty confusing. That's probably due to a combination of my pl noobiness and the size of towns and amount of npcs you already mentioned. I also found the targeting system weird. Finding a free vanity in my stash was a definite plus - and there's some cool promo codes (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?67928-guide-promo-codes-list!) that grant you vanities instead of lvl 1 gear.

i lol'ed so hard!ahahaha!

zappaxe
06-27-2013, 08:56 AM
i know exactly how you feel but the other way around. i have played pl for over 2 years and then playing any of the other games when they came out was incredibly confusing.
its hard to go to a completely different game. honestly i cant stand any of the towns in games other than pl.

CrimsonTider
06-27-2013, 08:57 AM
Hey guys,

Allow me to clarify your "confusions":

1. The NPC's are set up exactly the same way as AL: A "?" above those who grant quests. Also, there is a tab in your menu for allowing you to go to, and return from, each quest without having to spend forever looking for where to turn in the quest.

2. Yes, the classes are more "cartoonish" but, not much more cartoonish than a blue mage. :) They may indeed look awkward at first, but as you level and learn more about gear/vanities, you will see they indeed have very innovative designs.

3. The forums are your friend. The one thing that cannot be argued is the vast library of guides PL has over any other game. By simply going to the specific classes forum, you will find unlimited guides for leveling, builds, PvP, and so on. Also, for now, PL is the only game which allows your class to use gear from other classes. Yes, this concept needs some tweaking at the later levels, it provides plenty of opportunity for variety.

As Sam pointed out the other day in another thread, preference is in the eye of the beholder. However, I would make it past level 10 before making any comparison threads and stating which is better. If you, or others, have any questions, feel free to pm me or ask around on the PL side of the forums.

Thanks. :)

-Crim

razerfingers
06-27-2013, 09:00 AM
I find your confusion about quests invalid, do you or do you not go up to a NPC and see and yellow exclamation mark. Maybe he has a quest? And when you turn it in look for the one with the yellow question mark. And you played AL first so it destroyed your judgement for fun ;) gg when you get to lvl 50 gear is wayy more diverse than AL so yep.

Sent using blood on a bathroom wall.

wvhills
06-27-2013, 09:27 AM
If ur coming from AL and going to PL you're going to be greatly disappointed in the quests. Quests in PL are really watered down and not important at all. There's not really a story line either. If you go to ur map you will see all the different levels available to you. They have recommended levels in parenthesis. Once you see what campaigns you should be doing you can then search for a game in that campaign or join an existing one and grind until ur ready for the next map.

One of the great things about PL is you can select ur target. If u lock on a target u don't like just tap the screen on the one you want. This is one thing PL definitely has going for it over AL. Just imagine being able to take out mages and ranged attackers without having to get close to them (while ur still protected by ur tank!). If u don't like the auto attack u can disable it by going to options.

Well, i was going to address the OP's other questions but I see he's banned now and don't want to waste my time. I would just delete this post but I don't want to waste the effort I put into it already. If any other AL player is trying out PL and has questions just PM me. Haha!

Ainea
06-27-2013, 10:44 AM
Ah, well I think most of the things mentioned are just a matter of being used to AL. It took me a while to get the hang of things in AL - it'll take me a while in PL. Fortunately, I have already met some nice people willing to show an AL player the ropes, so it's just a matter of time.

And I did catch myself trying to rotate camera in AL already... Didn't work, unfortunately.

Haowesie
06-27-2013, 08:28 PM
Wait until you need to kill the overlord in alien oasis :)
...and then you might get a big shock once you enter the sewers :D