PDA

View Full Version : Teaming in PvP

Zeus
07-03-2013, 01:19 PM
Hello, STS,

In AL PvP, I noticed one flaw: teaming.

In this PvP environment, while the CTF and TDM matches are designed to be played in teams, players have decided to abuse that.

What I mean by this is that in TDM and CTF, all the players join one side and then farm whoever joins the other side. That, IMO, is simply not fun.

So, what do I propose to fix this?

Implement code that only allows you to pick a team when it's balanced. Otherwise, when you join the game, instead of being allowed to pick the team, the game engine automatically places you on a team that requires balancing.

This way, at least the strength of players are broken up and given other players a more fair chance to try to win. As of right now, in end game PvP, it is terrible due to that situation.

SkullCrusher
07-03-2013, 01:23 PM
Looks like I'll be Samhayne or Delphina for these 5 minutes of typing:
If you don't like the game, leave. It's a PvP arena and there's nothing we can do about it.

Well, there's your Samhayne/Delphina post of the day, enjoy! :)

Lol, anyways...I totally agree with you but I doubt they will ever implement this.

Zeus
07-03-2013, 01:26 PM
Looks like I'll be Samhayne or Delphina for these 5 minutes of typing:
If you don't like the game, leave. It's a PvP arena and there's nothing we can do about it.

Well, there's your Samhayne/Delphina post of the day, enjoy! :)

Lol, anyways...I totally agree with you but I doubt they will ever implement this.

The thing is, there is.

I get that it's FFA, which I am totally okay with but what many people do is just choose one team and the other team simply gets farmed. To me, that's not PvP but farming. If I wanted to farm, I'd go to PvE, haha. :p

I see it as a simple implementation and honestly do not see anything wrong with it as PvP as of right now is mildly discouraging, unless you happen to be the team is heavily advantaged.

SkullCrusher
07-03-2013, 01:44 PM
The thing is, there is.

I get that it's FFA, which I am totally okay with but what many people do is just choose one team and the other team simply gets farmed. To me, that's not PvP but farming. If I wanted to farm, I'd go to PvE, haha. :p

I see it as a simple implementation and honestly do not see anything wrong with it as PvP as of right now is mildly discouraging, unless you happen to be the team is heavily advantaged.

I see what you did there xD. Anyways, as I have said in my previous statement "I totally agree with you." I too, see it as a simple implementation, maybe it could be a bit like COD? In which it automatically join you to the team with less players or less rankings I believe. :)

KingFu
07-03-2013, 01:47 PM
Best thing to do would be to implement an automatic team assignment function. Take the previous game's score into consideration and assign teams based off the kills to insure balance.

Obviously that'd be more work than the devs have shown they're willing to do though.

Zeus
07-03-2013, 02:18 PM
Best thing to do would be to implement an automatic team assignment function. Take the previous game's score into consideration and assign teams based off the kills to insure balance.

Obviously that'd be more work than the devs have shown they're willing to do though.

You never know! H2N, Swede and a few other developers have been known to implement suggestions pretty quickly and well.

Also, definitely a nice add on suggestion.

SkullCrusher
07-03-2013, 02:25 PM

What if there never was a previous game? Possibly make it that the team with the lower level combined ( Ex: If a lvl 30 joined a game where there was a level 31 and a lvl 30 on the other team, make it so he automatically join the lvl 30 team considering both teams have the same amount of people. ) I'm really hoping the Devs will look into this. :)

KingFu
07-03-2013, 02:37 PM
What if there never was a previous game? Possibly make it that the team with the lower level combined ( Ex: If a lvl 30 joined a game where there was a level 31 and a lvl 30 on the other team, make it so he automatically join the lvl 30 team considering both teams have the same amount of people. ) I'm really hoping the Devs will look into this. :)

A well thought out system wouldn't just look at kills from the prior game, it would look at levels (as you said), and maybe even things as specific as gear rarity. I'd suggest the player's KDs as well but then some may argue KDs aren't supposed to represent anything, so potentially just the player's kill count to measure their experience to a degree?

Taejo
07-03-2013, 07:26 PM
Hello, STS,

In AL PvP, I noticed one flaw: teaming.

In this PvP environment, while the CTF and TDM matches are designed to be played in teams, players have decided to abuse that.

What I mean by this is that in TDM and CTF, all the players join one side and then farm whoever joins the other side. That, IMO, is simply not fun.

So, what do I propose to fix this?

Implement code that only allows you to pick a team when it's balanced. Otherwise, when you join the game, instead of being allowed to pick the team, the game engine automatically places you on a team that requires balancing.

This way, at least the strength of players are broken up and given other players a more fair chance to try to win. As of right now, in end game PvP, it is terrible due to that situation.

This idea of yours is apparent in other MMORPGs out there and it works very well. I hate dragging other games into this discussion, but I will use it here as a reference of your idea's functionality and success. Crystal Saga uses this for their PvP games. The computer automatically places you on either red or blue, and it balances out the number of players along with levels. The only downside to this function is it ruins the ability to join your friends or guildmates on a certain team.

Terracio
07-03-2013, 08:30 PM
Ideally it would look at classes too. A team with more than 2 of any class is stupid specially with skills such a shield that I can't fathom who would okay that with how it works on PVP.