PDA

View Full Version : AL = Lord of the Rings

DocDoBig
07-06-2013, 05:20 AM
After seeing the thread about the new expansion and the sneak peek picture of the location, which I have seen somewhere before, something occurred to me immediately:

LOTR

As a big Lotr Fan, I knew where I had seen this before:

Check this out:

Realm of Shadows Sneak Peek:
http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums/r674/DocDoBig/attachment_zps98e49afb.jpg

and Minas Morgul - a well known location in the Lord of the Rings Universe.

(For those who can't do anything with it, Minas Morgul is where the Bad Guys come from ;))

http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums/r674/DocDoBig/Minas_Morgul_by_Maurizia72_zpsaf8a4df3.jpghttp://i1361.photobucket.com/albums/r674/DocDoBig/lord_of_the_rings_minas_morgul_original_painting_b y_johnstewartart-d58o8ug_zpsed407a59.jpg

Note the Bridge, the green color and the huge tower.

I start believing that we have some Lotr fans in the Dev team. ;)
And they did this before:

If you pronounce Nordr a little different you will get Mordor

or Mines of Nordia = Mines of Moria ;)

I like what way you guys choose, keep it up!

Limsi
07-06-2013, 05:23 AM
As a fan of StarWars, this is bogus!

Alright, time to be serious.. I'd have to say these are good find. I'd be doubting if these were purely coincidental as they really do closely resemble each other.

matanofx
07-06-2013, 05:33 AM
Minas morgul indeed

The realm of shadows does look pretty much like minas morgul is described in the book, nice find!

And nice artwork too =] cant wait to see what the enemies/bosses look like in the new expansion.

Alhuntrazeck
07-06-2013, 06:28 AM
Yes lol, I noticed the Nordr thing a while back but this is new good find!
Gameloft's Zenonia 4 did a similar thing; they ripped off LOTR by naming a boss 'Frodo' (series protagonist).

Sent using scattered leaves on a windy day.

DocDoBig
07-06-2013, 09:14 AM
Minas morgul indeed

The realm of shadows does look pretty much like minas morgul is described in the book, nice find!

And nice artwork too =] cant wait to see what the enemies/bosses look like in the new expansion.

Prolly Nazguls, Orcs and Sauron. ;)

Yes lol, I noticed the Nordr thing a while back but this is new good find!
Gameloft's Zenonia 4 did a similar thing; they ripped off LOTR by naming a boss 'Frodo' (series protagonist).

Lol!

Well, I googled a bit and found out that you can call your baby Frodo. ;)

iluvataris
07-06-2013, 09:51 AM
Yes! I noticed this aswell!
I am also a big lotr fan.
my name actually...
iluvatar father and God of all middle earth.
I added the "is" at the end because iluvatar was taken. Pffffft.

Thadalger
07-06-2013, 09:56 AM
Its looks kinda the same sky wise.

Aplyed
07-06-2013, 10:13 AM
my name actually...

His name iluvataris
Father of the great Nintendo! Grandfather to the super nintendo !

=) Hello ataris \(^_^)

wowdah
07-06-2013, 10:21 AM
I noticed this too, however first I thought it was coincidental. Good find keep it up.

iluvataris
07-06-2013, 10:39 AM
His name iluvataris
Father of the great Nintendo! Grandfather to the super nintendo !

=) Hello ataris \(^_^)
Lol aplyed...
lol

Linkincena
07-06-2013, 10:44 AM
hehehe... it seemed to me same as Lord of The Rings at first too :)
Lets expect the Matrix pop out of something now..
Or Scary movie or American Pie LMAO

matanofx
07-06-2013, 10:58 AM
Mortal Kombat theme update would be most appreciated!

I think this can lead to a new thread.. Alhuntrazeck make it happen

iluvataris
07-06-2013, 11:02 AM
Lmao

Alhuntrazeck
07-06-2013, 11:05 AM
my name actually...

Ohhhh I thought it was I love Ataris...idk much abt lotr, is iluvatar rly a character?

drgrimmy
07-06-2013, 12:28 PM
Nice pick up! There are a lot of funny references in the game once you start looking for them. Take for example Baldur in Kraag. I think a reference to an old RPG from the 90's, Baldur's Gate :)

iluvataris
07-06-2013, 01:38 PM
Oooooooo I LOVED baulders gate! Baulders gate II shadow of amn ftw! Drgrimmy idk you but I think we would get along well : )

:alhuntrazeck. Lol everyone thinks its that. And yes iluvatar is the deity of middle earth. The God of gods.

DocDoBig
07-06-2013, 02:02 PM
Oooooooo I LOVED baulders gate! Baulders gate II shadow of amn ftw! Drgrimmy idk you but I think we would get along well : )

:alhuntrazeck. Lol everyone thinks its that. And yes iluvatar is the deity of middle earth. The God of gods.

I see someone read Silmarilion. ;)
Yes Iluvatar is the father of the Gods called Valar.

iluvataris
07-06-2013, 03:28 PM
: )

IronMonkey
07-06-2013, 06:37 PM
Very keen eyes Doc. :encouragement:

Since this expansion completes the story of the heroes of legends, I wish that we can get a short cinematic of these heroes, what they look like and their gears.

Alhuntrazeck
07-07-2013, 09:01 AM

Iluvatar seems modern for an oldfashioned story like LOTR is :)
I luv atar?
Offtopic...you guys read the books or watched the movies? I'm starting the first LOTR book after completing the Hobbit and its boring me to hell lol

matanofx
07-07-2013, 09:13 AM
I liked the Hobbit book more than the lotr trilogy

i do have to read the rest of books about the mythology, including the books tolkien's son finished for him

iluvataris
07-07-2013, 10:12 AM
Ya the fellowship starts off kinda slow but great books. Middle earth is much deeper then just LOTR.

DocDoBig
07-07-2013, 11:47 AM
Iluvatar seems modern for an oldfashioned story like LOTR is :)
I luv atar?
Offtopic...you guys read the books or watched the movies? I'm starting the first LOTR book after completing the Hobbit and its boring me to hell lol

Yes I read all and have all books from Lotr over TH to Silmarilion. Also I've seen the movies for at least 5 times each. ;)

Well to understand some thing in the film you have to read the book, also there are A LOT of things missing in the film - I just say Tom Bombadil. ;)

I must admit the first 200 pages about Hobbingen and such are boring. But when you get deeper into the story you will love it! You will want to know whats happening next in the story.

But, as Eru (Iluvatar) said the Lotr universe isn't just the LOTR Trilogy and Hobbit, there are lot's more like Silmarilion (something like the Elvish Bible lol), the Dwarves, lost stories etc. etc. - just Wikipedia Tolkien and you find a list of his works. ;)

iluvataris
07-07-2013, 12:06 PM
Doc ever seen the middle earth encyclopedia?
That things insane..
Still amazed by j.r.r. Tolkien.
How the **** did he come up with that stuff.
An so many games movies uldn't be what they are now if it wasn't for him.

DocDoBig
07-07-2013, 02:25 PM
Doc ever seen the middle earth encyclopedia?
That things insane..
Still amazed by j.r.r. Tolkien.
How the **** did he come up with that stuff.
An so many games movies uldn't be what they are now if it wasn't for him.
You must remind it was 1930-ish when he wrote it.
Yeah I've seen the ency but I don't own it :(.
Do you have the ME atlas with all maps - it's pretty cool.

iluvataris
07-07-2013, 02:36 PM
O ya I saw that once at my library same with encyclopedia. Haha, I was way into it as a child.

Yes and I remember my 84 year old grandmother saying she read them in high-school lol.

Traonacik
07-07-2013, 07:59 PM
Nice pick up! There are a lot of funny references in the game once you start looking for them. Take for example Baldur in Kraag. I think a reference to an old RPG from the 90's, Baldur's Gate :)

Probably much older than that, Doc. Baldur is a god in the old Norse mythology. Loki too.

drgrimmy
07-07-2013, 11:09 PM
Probably much older than that, Doc. Baldur is a god in the old Norse mythology. Loki too.

Nice :) There are probably a lot of names from various mythologies that have been recycled in many video games including this one. Thanks for the info :)

DocDoBig
07-08-2013, 09:31 AM
Nice :) There are probably a lot of names from various mythologies that have been recycled in many video games including this one. Thanks for the info :)

Heck there are even players called after Greek gods! ;)

Swede
07-08-2013, 11:21 AM
I tend to rework and modify a lot of Norse mythology because I know that so well.

But so did Tolkien, so I'm in good company. :)

Nordr and Mordor has no relation though, besides the similar pronunciation. Which I didn't think of until someone said it on the forums at which point I promptly made Hox in Kraag say "One does not simply walk into Nordr."

keikali
07-08-2013, 11:26 AM
I think Devs using other fictional concepts from novels/movies in the same genre that we read/watch is a great idea. Its great to see things resembling things we remember.

DocDoBig
07-08-2013, 03:36 PM
I tend to rework and modify a lot of Norse mythology because I know that so well.

But so did Tolkien, so I'm in good company. :)

Nordr and Mordor has no relation though, besides the similar pronunciation. Which I didn't think of until someone said it on the forums at which point I promptly made Hox in Kraag say "One does not simply walk into Nordr."

Wow i believe that was me!

Nordr sounds like Mordor

and "One does not simply walk into Mordor" from LOTR has become a meme ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r21CMDyPuGo&feature=youtube_gdata_player
http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?93712-Can-we-simply-walk-into-Nordr&p=1052101#post1052101

Please add more of such "Easter Eggs". ;)

Temarichan
07-09-2013, 11:41 AM
Im sorry but I love LOTR :D lol one of my favorite movies.

Awesome now I get to go on AL thinking its LOTR (okay not really, lol)

Hey! Legolas=Rogue Gimli=Mage (cause they're small) Aragorn=warrior

Kinda

Temarichan
07-09-2013, 11:50 AM

Particularly Nordr is almost near close to Norse Mythology, such as the Hall of Valheim. Walls of the Valhalla! But they battle a wolf named Fenrir. UlFang :)

"500 Doors and 40 there are
I ween, in Valhalla's walls;
800 fighters through each door fare,
When to war with the Wolf they go"

Arikaoeba
07-09-2013, 12:47 PM
You know, There is a MMO Game LOTR But I couldn't play it even 5 days because of the stupid virus -_-

Still, I think that the game is a bit hard.... It's not like in AL, you have a city whit daily rewards and other, But in LOTR you have a place where you can hunt, earn SOME money Buy SOME new weapons and continue doing quests. I much more like AL than LOTR, But the film is EXTRA! Still, the game, HARD!

Arikaoeba
07-09-2013, 12:49 PM
You know, There is a MMO Game LOTR But I couldn't play it even 5 days because of the stupid virus -_-

Still, I think that the game is a bit hard.... It's not like in AL, you have a city whit daily rewards and other, But in LOTR you have a place where you can hunt, earn SOME money Buy SOME new weapons and continue doing quests. I much more like AL than LOTR, But the film is EXTRA! Still, the game, HARD!

And yes, I'm preety sure I missed the topic, Haha :D

DocDoBig
07-09-2013, 03:12 PM

Oh Viruses?
I planned to start LOTRo this year.

Bless
07-09-2013, 04:20 PM
Sorry, even though I'm 14, Im deprived of childhood (Indian parents FTW! Education :D) whats Lord Of the Rings? A movie or a tv show? Series?

Hehe i so pro at knowing stuff.

Temarichan
07-09-2013, 09:23 PM
Sorry, even though I'm 14, Im deprived of childhood (Indian parents FTW! Education :D) whats Lord Of the Rings? A movie or a tv show? Series?

It is a movie and a book :D it's mostly about a Ring of Power, whom a Dark Lord Sauron weilded long ago.

Aaaugh! Lol I'm sorry, I can't explain all 3 movies/books. Look up:

Lord of the Rings: the Fellowship of the Ring
Lord of the Rings: the Two Towers
Lord of the Rings: The Return of the Kings

BUY THE BOOKS AND MOVIES AND READ <3

DocDoBig
07-10-2013, 01:12 AM

You prolly heard of The Hobbit, no? ;)
Well, Lotr is in the time after Th.
'nuff said