PDA

View Full Version : Turn any Helm/Armor into Vanity

Energizeric
07-07-2013, 11:12 PM
Sam said a while back there was some discussion of creating a way to turn any armor or helm into a vanity item. I think this is a great idea, and came up with a solution that will help STS raise some revenue and will make the players happy.....

1) Locked Crates will have a chance to give a rare item called a "vanity coin". These coins can be traded and sold in the auction. They appear in your inventory in the section where it shows your chests & eggs.

2) In Kraag, there will be an NPC called the "Vanity Blacksmith". He will charge 3 vanity coins and will convert any armor or helm to a vanity item.

3) The new vanity item can also be traded and sold in the auction.

One issue that comes up here is what should the name of the vanity items be? There are so many different helms and armors, it would get very confusing. Also, you have cases where the same item in different levels has different looks. For example, a sorcerer demonlord "of will" level 20 armor is a different color than the same item in level 21. Vanities are all level 1, so obviously the only way you would know which item you are getting is to "try it on" in the auction preview window. This presents a problem if you want to buy a vanity item from a different class as you could not be sure which color it is. That may present an issue for merchants. Also, if you were to buy from another player in the trade window, you could not see it there either.

So here is my suggestions for these issues:

1) We need a preview window in the trade box. Pocket Legends has this, so I know this can be added to AL.

2) To make this all a bit more simple, abbreviate the names of the various vanities. For example, all Demonlord vanity helms could simply be called "Demonlord Helm" and all Bloodhammer Armors would be called "Bloodhammer Armor". It doesn't matter if it is "of security", of "will" or what. If you want to buy one, you have to see what it looks like. I know STS has a system that can handle items with the same name having different colors. In PL we have Hooch Hats vanity which all have the same name, but some are brown, some are red, and some are blue. So I propose the same system be used in PL. For all of the founders gear, when converted to vanity just call them "Founders Helm" and "Founders Armor". STS would have to plan this a bit in advance so the naming conventions don't create too much confusion. But yes, it would be difficult to merch these items if they are not in your own class. But so what? That's not the main purpose of these items.

3) I also don't think it would be terrible if not all items could be changed to vanity. Maybe take a poll here on the forum of the various sets that players would like to be possible to convert to vanity. I'm guessing Founders, Heraldic, Forerunner, Demonlord, Bloodhammer, and Champion are some of them. I'm guessing there are not more than a dozen that would be needed. I think most players agree on which armors/helms are the nicer looking ones. We just need some options to create our own vanities, and I think this would be a good way to do it.

I see many players in town wearing older sets from previous campaigns because they like the way they look. But of course once they want to do pvp or pve, they must equip their end game gear. This would be a way to be able to keep wearing that older gear but also have your end game gear equipped as well.

Energizeric
07-07-2013, 11:14 PM
Just realized this should probably be in the suggestions forum. Please move!

Ebezaanec
07-08-2013, 12:21 AM
Players with Heraldic sets will be very happy to hear this..

I like the idea personally and I bet it will add some diversity into the game. Another benefit is that more players will decide to purchase more equipment to convert into vanities which will slowly add gold into the depressed economy (assuming the sellers aren't overpriced).

Though if the vanity is too rare, it probably will cause the vanity coin to be expensive and more commonly used by the wealthy class of AL. Hopefully this won't be the case.

Question, though. Will it take 3 vanity coins for each separate piece of equipment? Such as 3 coins for one helm? Or is it a bundle deal?

vholt
07-08-2013, 12:46 AM
Awesome idea! Just want to add that vanity coins can go where story tokens and hauntlet coins go. :o

Bless
07-08-2013, 12:47 AM
Shouldnt there be a way to tell vanities from real items apart? Agreed

Energizeric
07-08-2013, 01:04 AM

Yes, they will be of blue color and will be in the vanities section of the auction and in your inventory.

Energizeric
07-08-2013, 01:04 AM
Awesome idea! Just want to add that vanity coins can go where story tokens and hauntlet coins go. :o

Only problem with that is no way to sell them in the auction. I think a better idea is for them to be an actual inventory item like a chest or egg. They can go in that section of your inventory.

Energizeric
07-08-2013, 01:10 AM
Question, though. Will it take 3 vanity coins for each separate piece of equipment? Such as 3 coins for one helm? Or is it a bundle deal?

I suppose it can be any way they like. It can be 1 vanity coin per conversion, or multiple. If it only requires one, then they should be more rare. These should be somewhat rare, but not so rare that they cost millions of gold each. But maybe rare enough so that the cost of converting a whole set (helm & armor) is 100k+.

And more people will open crates hoping to get these coins, so STS will make up any revenue they lose in selling vanities by more people opening crates. And yes, I think it will add much more diversity to the game.

Also, they can start by allowing conversion of a few select sets, and then add more as time goes on. Maybe start with some of the older collector sets like Founders, Forerunner, Heraldic, and Demonlord. Then a couple more every expansion.

It will create much more interest in the "collectors items" as you will now be able to use them as vanities and they won't just be crap sitting in your inventory or stash. And this should help the economy somewhat.

Soundlesskill
07-08-2013, 05:03 AM
Oh that'd be cool :D
I wonder if you mean also bows such as Arctic bows & such?
Would be kinda cool.. Prices would go up a whole lot then..

Bless
07-08-2013, 11:54 AM

Yes, they will be of blue color and will be in the vanities section of the auction and in your inventory. Apart from that you cant. You cant tell if someone is a legit rich guy or a founder. You cant tell if its a real item so you ask about 50 people you see and they all say its a vanity. Its very tedious and removes the point of fashion gear such as demonlord because you have the exact same item in a vanity form.

Energizeric
07-08-2013, 02:23 PM
Apart from that you cant. You cant tell if someone is a legit rich guy or a founder. You cant tell if its a real item so you ask about 50 people you see and they all say its a vanity. Its very tedious and removes the point of fashion gear such as demonlord because you have the exact same item in a vanity form.

I see your point, but why does it matter?

Since it takes the original item in order to make the vanity, I don't see your point.

Right now if someone has a founders set, they could have started playing yesterday and just bought it. Adding a system that allows them to convert it to vanity does not make it any different, only that it allows them to wear it over their regular gear.

Yes, many of the older items would be converted to vanity as they are more useful in that way.

Venom
07-10-2013, 04:39 AM
With this system, the Arcane Tabard, Crier, Heraldic sets will be converted into Vanities and traded around..

Bless
07-10-2013, 04:00 PM
With this system, the Arcane Tabard, Crier, Heraldic sets will be converted into Vanities and traded around.. which also means the actual real sets will sell for 5k...

Rare
07-10-2013, 04:13 PM
which also means the actual real sets will sell for 5k...

Why would they sell for any less? There supply isn't increasing. At best, if the stats are good, they would sell for more.

At worst, if only for looks, they would sell for the same that they are currently selling for. Maybe more because people can actually wear them during normal game play.

Bless
07-10-2013, 04:25 PM
which also means the actual real sets will sell for 5k...

Why would they sell for any less? There supply isn't increasing. At best, if the stats are good, they would sell for more.

At worst, if only for looks, they would sell for the same that they are currently selling for. Maybe more because people can actually wear them during normal game play. yah I used hyperbole but its going to be about 300k a set tops. Why? People buy for looks or collection, and most collectors still collect good looking items. "Why take an item when you can take a vanity" thats why prices would decline.

Energizeric
07-11-2013, 04:36 AM
Prices would not decline. I think prices would actually go up. People would buy those items just for the exact purpose of then converting them to vanities. So they would still have their value. Please remember that you would still need the original heraldic or crier items in order to convert them to vanity. The vanity coin would only be payment to the NPC for the conversion. It would not create the vanity out of thin air.

Energizeric
07-11-2013, 04:38 AM
"Why take an item when you can take a vanity"

Take a vanity from where? You need the original item in order to make the vanity.

I said "turn any helm/armor into vanity". I did NOT say "create any vanity from nothing". So the only way you are getting a heraldic vanity is to have the original heraldic items and then get the vanity coins and convert them. So I don't see why they would drop in value. I think people would be buying them up just to convert them to vanity.

IronMonkey
07-11-2013, 07:34 PM
+1 Love the idea, I do have some gears worth converting into vanities.

But i see a problem, wouldn't this create a deeper scarcity of prime gears? Supposing, a demonlord plate/helm of will or bloodhammer armors are rare atm, if these will be turned into vanities, the new players looking for a prime gear wouldn't be able to find one or forced to buy gear at outrageous price or settle for a less effective gear.

The prime gears at low level are scarce atm, if some would turn them into vanities because of its rarity, their benefit as a prime gear will be lost.

I would say, limit the items that can be turned into vanities.

If there will be vanity coins, let it be purchaseable with plat (STS would love this idea more:banana::banana::banana:)

1 vanity coin = 10 platinum
1 vanity coin = turn 1 ordinary item to vanity.

Alfred Emmanuel Tanopo
08-12-2013, 08:31 PM
the lvl 16 shiny armors (dunno what its called) and the winter wonderland prices would sky rocket. lol!

Chaim Nail
08-12-2013, 10:56 PM
I like the idea.

I used to walk around towns like this:

http://www.haku.co.uk/pics/ArcaneLegendsNoble.jpg

But I bought the Devourer set (and Orion to match) because it looked cool, even a lvl22 wanted to trade me for it because they thought it was a vanity set:

http://www.haku.co.uk/pics/ArcaneLegendsDevourer.jpg

Cero
08-13-2013, 01:08 AM
smelly plate ftw!

Linkincena
08-13-2013, 01:11 AM
Yes.. Good Idea... Lets raise funds for STG :wink:

Alrisaia
08-13-2013, 09:22 AM
Thanks Ener - I see how old this post is too!

Taejo
08-16-2013, 02:38 PM
I never had the chance to comment on this thread while it was on page 1.

I think this is a well thought out idea. I like the fact that it's simply a 1-for-1 swap with the actual armor, and not creating one out of thin air or a duplicate. This keeps it's rarity and uniqueness to a maximum.

Zanpakuto
08-16-2013, 03:04 PM
Love this idea!

Slardz
08-16-2013, 04:03 PM
Sam said a while back there was some discussion of creating a way to turn any armor or helm into a vanity item. I think this is a great idea, and came up with a solution that will help STS raise some revenue and will make the players happy.....

1) Locked Crates will have a chance to give a rare item called a "vanity coin". These coins can be traded and sold in the auction. They appear in your inventory in the section where it shows your chests & eggs.

2) In Kraag, there will be an NPC called the "Vanity Blacksmith". He will charge 3 vanity coins and will convert any armor or helm to a vanity item.

3) The new vanity item can also be traded and sold in the auction.

One issue that comes up here is what should the name of the vanity items be? There are so many different helms and armors, it would get very confusing. Also, you have cases where the same item in different levels has different looks. For example, a sorcerer demonlord "of will" level 20 armor is a different color than the same item in level 21. Vanities are all level 1, so obviously the only way you would know which item you are getting is to "try it on" in the auction preview window. This presents a problem if you want to buy a vanity item from a different class as you could not be sure which color it is. That may present an issue for merchants. Also, if you were to buy from another player in the trade window, you could not see it there either.

So here is my suggestions for these issues:

1) We need a preview window in the trade box. Pocket Legends has this, so I know this can be added to AL.

2) To make this all a bit more simple, abbreviate the names of the various vanities. For example, all Demonlord vanity helms could simply be called "Demonlord Helm" and all Bloodhammer Armors would be called "Bloodhammer Armor". It doesn't matter if it is "of security", of "will" or what. If you want to buy one, you have to see what it looks like. I know STS has a system that can handle items with the same name having different colors. In PL we have Hooch Hats vanity which all have the same name, but some are brown, some are red, and some are blue. So I propose the same system be used in PL. For all of the founders gear, when converted to vanity just call them "Founders Helm" and "Founders Armor". STS would have to plan this a bit in advance so the naming conventions don't create too much confusion. But yes, it would be difficult to merch these items if they are not in your own class. But so what? That's not the main purpose of these items.

3) I also don't think it would be terrible if not all items could be changed to vanity. Maybe take a poll here on the forum of the various sets that players would like to be possible to convert to vanity. I'm guessing Founders, Heraldic, Forerunner, Demonlord, Bloodhammer, and Champion are some of them. I'm guessing there are not more than a dozen that would be needed. I think most players agree on which armors/helms are the nicer looking ones. We just need some options to create our own vanities, and I think this would be a good way to do it.

I see many players in town wearing older sets from previous campaigns because they like the way they look. But of course once they want to do pvp or pve, they must equip their end game gear. This would be a way to be able to keep wearing that older gear but also have your end game gear equipped as well.

This will be good ^_^ Great idea.

waric1123
08-18-2013, 05:13 PM
To admin or gamemaster'
Just wanted to know if those vanity set are giving additional stats ? If not then make some I mean I love to buy vanity sets and I want to buy platinun coin but buying those set are useless without an aditional, stats like +15 crit + 10% damage...I don't want to use my money just to make my carahcter good look.. sell an mythic set in your store that has no required level,and what would I do in your mythic leprechaun bundle its a piece of trash...

Taejo
08-18-2013, 05:50 PM
To admin or gamemaster'
Just wanted to know if those vanity set are giving additional stats ? If not then make some I mean I love to buy vanity sets and I want to buy platinun coin but buying those set are useless without an aditional, stats like +15 crit + 10% damage...I don't want to use my money just to make my carahcter good look.. sell an mythic set in your store that has no required level,and what would I do in your mythic leprechaun bundle its a piece of trash...

1. Use pets to get additional stats. Vanity will most likely never have stats added to them - but I could be wrong. Even if they did, it wouldn't be +15% crit or +10% dmg like you're suggesting.
2. You don't have to use money to make your character look good - vanity can be purchased via the CS with gold.
3. Leprechaun Pendant is probably the best item in my inventory. Because of it, I've been able to proficiently farm and save enough gold to purchase mythic gear for 2 toons. You need to look at the big picture and try things out before you judge them.

Andrisber
08-22-2013, 11:04 AM
That would be cool! i got red founder set and a heraldic set, they need to realise this idea!

Taejo
09-05-2013, 02:26 PM
Perhaps another way to do this for the non-crate-popping players is to add these tokens to elite chests or collect 50 story tokens to exchange them for 1 vanity token.

Energizeric
09-05-2013, 03:15 PM
Perhaps another way to do this for the non-crate-popping players is to add these tokens to elite chests or collect 50 story tokens to exchange them for 1 vanity token.

I'm sure plenty of players who loot a token would choose to sell it in the auction, so non-plat players could buy it there the same as they can buy vanity items that way.

Taejo
09-05-2013, 04:22 PM
I'm sure plenty of players who loot a token would choose to sell it in the auction, so non-plat players could buy it there the same as they can buy vanity items that way.

Ah ok. Wasn't sure if you had intended for them to be no-drop or not, like Hauntlet/Story tokens are. I would imagine that's the way STG would implement them into the system.

Akaee
09-05-2013, 04:37 PM
I like THE mythic set to be a vanity next season so it still has some value.

moonway03
09-05-2013, 04:49 PM
I love this :)

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2

Energizeric
09-06-2013, 03:59 AM
Ah ok. Wasn't sure if you had intended for them to be no-drop or not, like Hauntlet/Story tokens are. I would imagine that's the way STG would implement them into the system.

They would be rare enough that no player is going to have tons of them. They can be an inventory item like an egg.

Osabevie
09-07-2013, 05:09 AM
Just gonna point out non plat users will be angry. Maybe put in a daily quest where you have to kill so many mobs or something maybe in a new elite map to make it harder like elite shuyal. This would stop the coins becoming common. Then there is a chance to get a coin when you hand the quest in... Its a great idea though so many sets I would want to change :)

Druidicus
09-07-2013, 01:53 PM
this would be just.... so awesome, i could turn my viking and nordr guardian into vanity... that would rock!!!!
it just must be here

Energizeric
09-07-2013, 11:41 PM
Just gonna point out non plat users will be angry. Maybe put in a daily quest where you have to kill so many mobs or something maybe in a new elite map to make it harder like elite shuyal. This would stop the coins becoming common. Then there is a chance to get a coin when you hand the quest in... Its a great idea though so many sets I would want to change :)

You heard me say they are tradable, right?

You don't need plat, you can buy them from another player or in the auction from someone else who is selling one. Just the same way vanity sets cost plat, but you can buy one in the auction too.