PDA

View Full Version : Leeching

Stratospaly
10-21-2010, 09:15 PM
I joined dozens of groups tonight (Ao2 for easy exp until I hit 48), almost every one had at least one leecher. I simply ask if they are keeping the leech, if they don't answer or say yes I leave. If I am host I am nice, but boot the leeches as they join.

If its someones brother or friend, I can understand.. but just allowing a lvl 20 in a lvl 45 zone only puts a burden on the rest of the group.

Then I came across this guy.

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/2552/xmanh.png

Classy guy.

Tvis
10-21-2010, 09:21 PM
Would it be worth it for the game to change like this?:

You can't play the campaigns higher than your level, however, you can play the campaigns after your higher than the advised level.
For instance, as a lvl 15 you can play Forest Haven and Dark Forest. When you get to lvl 20, you can move onto the next campaign.
This would create less of a leeching problem and the highest lvls can play all the campaigns still.

regie831
10-21-2010, 09:22 PM
it doesn't matter who they ****ing are, boot, if it's not your game just leave. It's what I do actually

Stratospaly
10-21-2010, 09:31 PM
I understand the devs wanting to keep a zone open for everyone who pays for it, but I think there should be a -10 level cap for each zone. If the enemies are level 45, anyone under 35 is doing little to no damage and should not be able to enter the zone.

Hodnett
10-21-2010, 09:37 PM
I agree when your a high level you can hate leechers...but wait till you make another character and then you will become one

shadywack
10-21-2010, 10:05 PM
I agree when your a high level you can hate leechers...but wait till you make another character and then you will become one

This is one game I like playing w/the wife. We can create a new char, and we'll just leech off each other in closed games generating tons of gold while powerlevelling.

TheLaw
10-21-2010, 10:13 PM

agreed

it doesn't matter who they ****ing are, boot, if it's not your game just leave. It's what I do actually

these are the kind of people that most guys hate, try looking at it in the other point of view, what you do is not what we have to follow. I only boot reckless and annoying ones.

CanonicalKoi
10-21-2010, 10:41 PM

Ummmm...I've got seven, maybe (I'd have to count-lol). I haven't leeched with any of them. Gyoza was actually my first and he just got to 47 in AO2 tonight. It's slow, but what's the rush?

Tailless
10-21-2010, 11:05 PM
This is one game I like playing w/the wife. We can create a new char, and we'll just leech off each other in closed games generating tons of gold while powerlevelling.

That's fine, you and your wife are playing on a map that is Locked and both agree to leech off of each other. The problem is when random people join a map that is way above thier level. They are too low to be of any use and instead rely on the other players to do all the work. They contribute nothing and yet reap the benifits of the others work. If they heal or debuff then they might have a chance to stay but if they just run behind everyone and do nothing beneficial then what good are they?

Gaabob
10-21-2010, 11:18 PM
Lol strato. Crazeya and I were playing keeper farm, and got uber bored. He asked me to powerlevel his character. I being bored said ok. Made the map, killed stuff. Technically he wasn't leeching either. Leeching is sitting behind the lines while everyone else does the work. He killed stuff too-therefore not a leech. After that I made another map and it was all archers ranging from 30-41 and me(45). No one leeched or I would have boot.

Stratospaly
10-22-2010, 08:10 AM
Lol strato. Crazeya and I were playing keeper farm, and got uber bored. He asked me to powerlevel his character. I being bored said ok. Made the map, killed stuff. Technically he wasn't leeching either. Leeching is sitting behind the lines while everyone else does the work. He killed stuff too-therefore not a leech. After that I made another map and it was all archers ranging from 30-41 and me(45). No one leeched or I would have boot.

Im not sure how much damage a lvl 29 can do to lvl 45 mobs, but whatever, he didn't have to be a jerk about it. I define leeching as anyone more than 10 levels below the enemy. I was in Ao2 at lvl 32, because I was the only tank in the group. I held aggro, did almost no damage, and got my @#$%^ handed to me quite often. If not for chugging health pots constantly It would not have been possible. This is one of the only situations I can see a severely under leveled player in a high level zone, the other would be for a mage to run in and rez, then run back out.

Taking up a spot that could be filled by a 40-50 level player that can actually do good damage, tank well without dieing, and debuff properly, with a low level that runs behind the group so he doesn't die is just lame. And yes, your friend was far behind the group and had an enemy on him... he was running for his life trying to kill it when I ported out.

And to the guy who said when I create a new toon I would be the leecher. I have a 25 mage, and my wife has a 30 mage. Neither has ever leeched.

Snakespeare
10-22-2010, 08:37 AM
There are a LOT of people who come to these boards asking why they can't seem to find a game in Swamps or Skeller. It is because of people power levelling in Alien Oasis. But the thing is, you can power level anywhere that the threat bubbles are red. A level 29 has red threat bubbles in Swamps and Skeller. So, to power level a friend who is level 29, help him in Swamps or Skeller. That's what my friends did for me when I was that level.

For instance, Furrawn did Swamps with me when I was level 29. When I was level 39, bmc95uk did Alien Oasis 1 maps with me. I got great xp because I took levelling potions, and I learned a lot because these higher level players knew the tricks. They didn't kill the things for me, they never ran ahead. It was a really fun experience in both cases.

But this thread isn't really about leeching, is it?

It is a misunderstanding. One player wanted to give others a chance to speak up for a lowbie and, before anyone could, the lowbie threatened. That's called escalating the conflict. But if the lowbie could bite his tongue and let his mentor vouch for him, it would not have happened. That always happens if you let anger rule you. It happens to me all the time! You complete take away any chance you had of winning an argument, if there is one, by changing the topic into whether your behavior is nice or not.

Live and learn and move on. Don't just say the first thing that enters your head. Be more strategic. It will help you after you get married, too. So best learn it now.

Snakes, aka Grandad

shadywack
10-22-2010, 11:15 AM
There are a LOT of people who come to these boards asking why they can't seem to find a game in Swamps or Skeller. It is because of people power levelling in Alien Oasis. But the thing is, you can power level anywhere that the threat bubbles are red. A level 29 has red threat bubbles in Swamps and Skeller. So, to power level a friend who is level 29, help him in Swamps or Skeller. That's what my friends did for me when I was that level.

For instance, Furrawn did Swamps with me when I was level 29. When I was level 39, bmc95uk did Alien Oasis 1 maps with me. I got great xp because I took levelling potions, and I learned a lot because these higher level players knew the tricks. They didn't kill the things for me, they never ran ahead. It was a really fun experience in both cases.

But this thread isn't really about leeching, is it?

It is a misunderstanding. One player wanted to give others a chance to speak up for a lowbie and, before anyone could, the lowbie threatened. That's called escalating the conflict. But if the lowbie could bite his tongue and let his mentor vouch for him, it would not have happened. That always happens if you let anger rule you. It happens to me all the time! You complete take away any chance you had of winning an argument, if there is one, by changing the topic into whether your behavior is nice or not.

Live and learn and move on. Don't just say the first thing that enters your head. Be more strategic. It will help you after you get married, too. So best learn it now.

Snakes, aka Grandad

I am surprised by how many people don't know this. I had explained to a guy who showed up in Crush the Keeper with a lvl 18, he was flabbergasted that I told him the Crypt would give him the same XP as AO3. Red threat bubble=same XP whether you're in Dark Forest or AO3. They don't get anything for going into such a high lvl area.

Snakespeare
10-22-2010, 11:20 AM
SO TRUE!

At 18 through 22 he will stay red in the passage under the sarcophagus and level all day without starting a new game. Too bad people only use that for farming. It seems like a perfect place to level if you ask me. Not to mention the mega-maze...