PDA

View Full Version : how to merchant?

Slush
10-22-2010, 02:11 AM
can someone explain to me how to merchant, and how to know the prices for items. i want a detailed guide. im starting to merch, since ive farmed 800+ runs of victory lap in the past couple of weeks, and got absolutely nothing (ask trueplayer).
thanks

jonboy
10-22-2010, 02:24 AM
How it's been put plainly to me is that the unscrupulous trader sells items at an over inflated price to what looks like buyers, but is actually a little cabal that buys at the inflated price purely to increase the price, the cabal swap items/gold back and a few days later some sucker gets ripped buying an item at the manipulated price.

Every noticed in towne someone will be selling at a certain price, then strangely later some one will be buying for higher, then they swap, hoping that someone will get greedy and try to make a profit on what they see as a sell price and a higher price of offer to buy. When they buy it in the hope if profiting by trade that buyer looking purchase at the higher rate can't be found.

Slush
10-22-2010, 02:32 AM
is this how hades got banned?

jonboy
10-22-2010, 02:43 AM
No idea ask him, but that's how he stated it.

Also the good traders are happy as they are getting good profit at they going price,, but if they start buying and selling then they had best be careful or be aware of the true price of the item.

TheJpawn
10-22-2010, 03:32 AM
yeah. I can't figure out the trading either.

TheJpawn
10-22-2010, 03:35 AM
[QUOTE=jonboy;105128]No idea ask him, but that's how he explained it, the good traders are happy as they are getting good profit, but if they start buying and selling then they had best be careful or be aware of the true price of the item.[/QUOTE

How do you know the "true price of the item."?

Ellyidol
10-22-2010, 03:38 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by "Merchant" but if it means making money, I'd just buy low and sell high. Not necessarily using unethical methods, I started a thread before named SCAM Awareness, but being able to work out deals and such.

As for the true or market price I'd really just notice how much people are selling for, try to set it in between the highest and the lowest price. Just a gut feeling too really.

Riccits
10-22-2010, 03:58 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by "Merchant" but if it means making money, I'd just buy low and sell high.

thats really hard at moment... evryone wants to buy cheap... and when someone is selling something cheap, its like a fire that all are knowing that and from that moment noone wants to spend more than those deal... when u buy something to resell, better u got it really cheap...

Ellyidol
10-22-2010, 04:00 AM
thats really hard at moment... evryone wants to buy cheap... and when someone is selling something cheap, its like a fire that all are knowing that and from that moment noone wants to spend more than those deal... when u buy something to resell, better u got it really cheap...

Agree. It's pretty hard at the moment since the gap for "cheap" and "profitable" is really low. It was easier when thing sold for higher. What I can think of now is being able to farm these items for as low a cost as you can. (Lesser pots, elixirs and time). Other than that, there really is no space for huge profits in buying and selling unless you have loads of time to catch cheap items and sell them a bit higher.

jonboy
10-22-2010, 04:02 AM
Tbh, there are alot of decent merchants out there elly's group is one of them, playing the market by buying low and selling high is normal and happens in RL manipulating the market to artificially inflate prices is not cool, that happens in RL as well though if caught they go to jail sadly they still collect $200 most times. :)

Ellyidol
10-22-2010, 04:04 AM
Tbh, there are alot of decent merchants out there elly's group is one of them, playing the market by buying low and selling high is normal and happens in RL manipulating the market to artificially inflate prices is not cool, that happens in RL as well though if caught they go to jail sadly they still collect $200 most times. :)

Thanks! :) Yeah, IRL buying low and selling high exists because there are real things that can happen that change prices. Like if a company goes bankrupt or into new ownership, natural disasters, etc. In PL, there's really nothing happening that can change prices. They can only go lower. =/

jonboy
10-22-2010, 04:23 AM
Consignment shop and the potential influx of android and PC players should rapidly increase the demand base, which should smooth out the curve between the high price gotten from the first adopters when gear is really rare on the market and the subsequent crash in price when the available buyers run out, even though there are many more buyers out that are willing to pay at that price point, but they are totally unable to accrue that much capital.

Edit: I forgot to mention the best way to get a handle on some aspects of prices, lurk the traders forums like a dirty stalker and pay attention to who's selling, who's buying and the why if both. What are buds doing? Again who is bidding and why? The prices and the players is what is about.

That's what I do it's fun to sort through the BS and find price points, but then I'm weird.

Ellyidol
10-22-2010, 04:24 AM
Consignment shop and the potential influx of android and PC players should rapidly increase the demand base, which should smooth out the curve between they high price gotten from the first adopters when gear is really rare on the market and the subsequent crash in price when the available buyers run out, even though there are many more buyers out that are willing to pay at that price point, but they are totally unable to accrue that much capital.

Very true. At the rate things are going, if you think about it in the extremes, what if Ao3 prices drop to 1-5k. Imagine they'd be as expensive as a set of 25 pots. Lol. I know its impossible, just thinking of the extreme. lol

jonboy
10-22-2010, 04:41 AM
That would be below the cost to accrue ie pots elixirs

MissFlux
11-05-2010, 08:34 PM
very interesting discussion ... thanks :) I am having alot of trouble selling my pinks .. as i do not know how much they are worth half the time. Most people are buying GREENS and purps of me!!? Which is gret for my invent but not for my purse! ;) But this discussion as i said has helped so thanks! :)