PDA

View Full Version : How STG has shaped me.

iiirootzz
07-22-2013, 11:36 AM
I'm currently attending MIT for computer programming, and game development and implications. My dream is to work for STG, and as soon as I'm out of college, I'm going to apply... And move to TX. Fingers crossed!

Oldcoot
07-22-2013, 11:39 AM
It's good you have a goal, but aim a little higher.

Hook
07-22-2013, 11:47 AM
I agree with coot, if you are going to try to work for STG, and you have those adequate programming skills, then you should just make your own brand and games, because the programming skills wouldnt be as advanced as a company like Capcom/Namco.
Or you could always apply to those, big names :p

Reunegade
07-22-2013, 12:01 PM
Awesome! ;)

Promagin
07-22-2013, 12:09 PM
Good luck!

iiirootzz
07-22-2013, 12:56 PM
Thanks guys, but stg is a necessary starting point.

NotYoCookiez
07-22-2013, 01:51 PM
Pls when you work there update PL :)

Spectre
07-22-2013, 03:12 PM
Good luck man! :)

Kixxler
07-22-2013, 04:13 PM
I'm going to befriend you know so when you actually work for Spacetime, you can get me some stuff. GL tho

Fusionstrike
07-22-2013, 06:48 PM
Producing commercial games is typically pretty demanding. Nothing stops a deadline, so you're often in for some long hours. So, make sure you really do love it. Those long hours can only be withstood if you're doing something you really like.

iiirootzz
07-22-2013, 07:13 PM
Producing commercial games is typically pretty demanding. Nothing stops a deadline, so you're often in for some long hours. So, make sure you really do love it. Those long hours can only be withstood if you're doing something you really like.

Ofc :)

Bilaxman
07-22-2013, 07:17 PM
Best of luck to you! :)

iiirootzz
07-22-2013, 10:42 PM
Thank you :))

Extreme
07-23-2013, 03:34 AM
GL!

joshtheboss
07-23-2013, 08:16 AM
Thanks guys, but stg is a necessary starting point.

A place to start may be STG but it may also (more than likely) be elsewhere just remember you won't do yourself any good limiting your horizons.

Justg
07-23-2013, 08:58 AM
Not sure why you guys are telling him that applying with us is limiting his horizons.

We've been voted one of the top 50 development studios in the world by Pocket Gamer in 2011, 2012, and 2013.

If he wants to give it a shot with us, by all means don't discourage the guy!

Blastyou
07-23-2013, 09:03 AM
Good luck Bella!

(everyone thinks you're a guy ;))

Oldcoot
07-23-2013, 11:58 AM
Not sure why you guys are telling him that applying with us is limiting his horizons.

We've been voted one of the top 50 development studios in the world by Pocket Gamer in 2011, 2012, and 2013.

The current state of PL is why . I could go into great detail on the subject but it seams redundant at this time. A lot of us are losing faith that sts/stg will even be around when this guy/girl graduates. Please justg throw the dog a bone.

lilgangster
07-23-2013, 12:18 PM
Haha seems like you're determined :) wish You the best, and like the others mentioned don't be afraid to shoot higher too :)

KingFu
07-23-2013, 12:26 PM
STS has shaped me a lot too, mostly physically. They've helped me lose a lot of weight since I first started PL. My wallet is much easier to carry now. Thanks STS!

joshtheboss
07-23-2013, 12:42 PM

Not saying that applying with stg would limit him I'm just saying that wanting to apply to just one company and saying it's necessary to begin there I'd limiting yourself. I'm aware if stg's many achievements but its anyways good to be more open. I personally think a player of stg games one day working there would be pretty cool but it's not as he said necessary to begin at stg.

iiirootzz
07-23-2013, 12:57 PM

Gahhhhhhhh. :DD

Words can't describe how much I want a staff position.

And I'll forgive you for calling me a dude. ;)

iiirootzz
07-23-2013, 12:59 PM
Good luck Bella!

(everyone thinks you're a guy ;))

Lulz right. ;)

Hook
07-23-2013, 02:43 PM

The current state of PL is why . I could go into great detail on the subject but it seams redundant at this time. A lot of us are losing faith that sts/stg will even be around when this guy/girl graduates. Please justg throw the dog a bone.

Let a dog roam, and he'll find his way home.

In another note, i love texas :)

Justg
07-23-2013, 02:57 PM
A lot of us are losing faith that sts/stg will even be around when this guy/girl graduates. Please justg throw the dog a bone.

I understand your desire for more content in PL. Everyone wants more for their favorite games, but I assure you that if we did not evolve our business model and expand in to new game types, we would not be around when this girl graduates.

We're looking for bones. In the meantime, all of our games can be played for free for literally hundreds of hours, and we'll continue to run all four of our MMOs for as long as there is a healthy community of players enjoying them.

Oldcoot
07-23-2013, 03:00 PM
A lot of us are losing faith that sts/stg will even be around when this guy/girl graduates. Please justg throw the dog a bone.

I understand your desire for more content in PL. Everyone wants more for their favorite games, but I assure you that if we did not evolve our business model and expand in to new game types, we would not be around when this girl graduates.

We're looking for bones. In the meantime, all of our games can be played for free for literally hundreds of hours, and we'll continue to run all four of our MMOs for as long as there is a healthy community of players enjoying them.
Thank you, all we need is encouragement that we haven't been forgotten , an I think we just got that. Thanks again

lakersrockftw
07-23-2013, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the reply Gary we wanted you guys to say something like that so we didn't think we got ignored.As long you guys aren't ignoring us it's better than not getting a cap and getting ignored.Still I think you guys can give us a cap because AL still gets a lot of caps so maybe make one for us too and don't give them a cap for a month. Anyways I'm glad you replied :D.

Justg
07-23-2013, 03:19 PM
Forgotten?!? We LOVE you guys!! We may be prioritizing other things right now, but Pocket Legends will ALWAYS hold a very special and dear place in our hearts.

lakersrockftw
07-23-2013, 03:24 PM
But can you guys spend 1 month or so just for pl that's why we think we are forgotten not getting a cap. If you make us a cap we all are satisfied :D.

KingFu
07-23-2013, 03:25 PM
Forgotten?!? We LOVE you guys!! We may be prioritizing other things right now, but Pocket Legends will ALWAYS hold a very special and dear place in our hearts.

I think I speak for a lot of people when I say I appreciate and am relieved to hear that, but actions do speak louder than words. I'm not doubting you on it, but from speculation PL seems pretty far down the line of priorities after a 10 (or 11?) month period. From an outside perspective, it's hard to understand exactly what is going on. If players were given more direct insight directly from you guys, I think they'd feel much more informed and comfort with the company.

Just my thoughts.

lakersrockftw
07-23-2013, 03:31 PM
Arcane right now was PL in the old days. We know that the game won't get it's old glory but replying like now makes us happy :D. Sorry for posting a lot :( . Lazy to edit and add to my earlier post. :P

Cascade
07-23-2013, 03:38 PM
If you make us a cap we all are satisfied :D.

There is no such thing as "all satisfied". Devs could give out free platinum and people would still find something to complain about.

Sryyoulose
07-23-2013, 03:55 PM
When you said computer programming I assume you mean computer sciences? Anyways I want to major in mechanical engineering and minor in computer sciences Iowa state seems to have a great program for what I want so I'm thinking about applying for a scholarship there.

Sts didnt really impact my dream but it kinda made me think about computer programming as I am more used to programming physical objects specifically to do a task. On my robotics team I'm the programmer which I was blessed to have a professional programmer who could teach me about it.

However, sports may lead me in a different direction... Who knows :)

lakersrockftw
07-23-2013, 04:00 PM
I meant satisfied in some sort.

lakersrockftw
07-23-2013, 07:48 PM
Also gl to you iiirootzz and I hope you achieve your goal :D

XghostzX
07-23-2013, 08:33 PM
Good to finally see some comfort from the Justg, thank you it's appreciated.

However, as Myst said, actions do speak louder than words. (In fact, Myst took the words right out of my mind.) To piggy back on it, if a year goes by without any relatively significant changes, this is what our expectations come of.

And with the community part, I don't think you need to worry about that as long as this game can be updated now and then. This is by far the best community for gaming that I've ever been apart of.

iiirootzz
07-23-2013, 09:04 PM
I GOT A HEARTWARMING REPLY FROM GARBEAR. :33 i feel so accomplished. Thanks Just. <33

Roberto077
07-23-2013, 09:43 PM
I agree with coot, if you are going to try to work for STG, and you have those adequate programming skills, then you should just make your own brand and games, because the programming skills wouldnt be as advanced as a company like Capcom/Namco.
Or you could always apply to those, big names :p

STS has great programming skills, but there aren't too many people who work for STS so they can't produce as fast as larger companies. I say go for your dream or go to Blizzard (since they make the same type of games).