PDA

View Full Version : use of frostbolt

ShadowGunX
07-23-2013, 10:20 AM
i made a mage nd is lvl15 currently. i hav fire time nd lifegiver atm.
now i want to know how mch good is frostbolt on bosses (specially kraken nd nodr)?
if frost not good then is fire time shield nd life is good skillset for pve (elites, tombs nd hauntlets)?

keikali
07-23-2013, 10:34 AM
For single targets Frostbolt and Lightning are the BEST damage dealers. Fire is mainly used for crowd control with the stun upgrade.

I use to use Frostbolt, but I switched to Lightning for heavy CRIT damage.

ShadowGunX
07-23-2013, 11:03 AM
i think i will use frostbolt

Alhuntrazeck
07-23-2013, 09:25 PM
Frost is vast AoE on charging and is dammmmmmn good becuz it freezes enemies. Paired with ribbit and clock its devastating.
Do it so.
Drop a charged clock. Charge ice and fire. Use ribbit's arcane ability.
Now watch as the screen fills with CRITICALs as ribbit's ability turns DoT into mass damage.
Take note this is for mobs, frost for bosses is useless.

vholt
07-23-2013, 10:38 PM
Frost is vast AoE on charging and is dammmmmmn good becuz it freezes enemies. Paired with ribbit and clock its devastating.
Do it so.
Now watch as the screen fills with CRITICALs as ribbit's ability turns DoT into mass damage.

Mmm sounds familiar :o

Kraze
07-23-2013, 10:49 PM
For single targets Frostbolt and Lightning are the BEST damage dealers. Fire is mainly used for crowd control with the stun upgrade.

I use to use Frostbolt, but I switched to Lightning for heavy CRIT damage.
Clock and lightning are THE highest damage dealing skills factor in dot and time is the hardest hitting skill. Just need to get close enough to use it

IronMonkey
07-24-2013, 12:59 AM
When you run elite, it aides the party when a mage freezes mob, the kills come easier.

ShadowGunX
07-24-2013, 08:34 AM
so i use frostbolt.
nd in my experience, frostbolt+timeshift deals massive dmg to those that r froze compared to fireball+timeshift.
bt frostbolt AOE is very less compared to fire time n gale. bt ok it atleast freezes those mobs that cannot b root,stun or knockdown.
ex: that green rogue in arcanum ground.

ShadowGunX
07-24-2013, 08:39 AM
Do it so.

yup i use this combo.
bt i use fireball first n then drop timeshift. nd then i use frostbolt. those enemy that r neither stun nor rooted get freeze nd they enjoy d pain inside my clock :tongue:

ya frost is smewhat useless against boss. nd i get one shoted every time. thinking to drop ice to shield.
fireball+time already makes enemy to low hp or kill lol nd i dnt need ice.

ShadowGunX
07-24-2013, 08:56 AM
frost is good in tombs nd hauntlets bt i m dieing alot atm due to the classes not doing their own things.
ex: war not using HoR , mage using gale or dnt hav good upgrades in fire nd time
nd rogue using only auto attack nd sss skill.

my most frustration is war. some war dnt even hav HoR skill. when i ask they say they hav pots for it. rofl.

so as my lvl increasing, survivality problem will increase so i will drop frost nd use shield.

i will use fire+time+shield+life when i get lvl21
passive str, int nd dex

Valsacar
07-28-2013, 06:30 PM
Do it so.

Really? The second highest (assuming you have lightnings 15% upgrade) single target damage skill that also has 4x stacking DoT is useless on single targets with large hp?

Drearivev
07-28-2013, 06:40 PM
If you want survivability and damage, I'd say use this:
Fire, Frost, Time, and Lifegiver for mobs. If you're worried about being one-shotted by a boss, switch Time to Shield. Time isn't really effective on bosses anyway. I see it in better use when you use it for crowd controlling in tombs and stuff. Frost is really useful in Elites. Normally, if I'm using Fire, Frost, Time, and Lifegiver, I'd use Fire to stun followed by charged Time and Frost. Good chance at freezing enemies as well good crowd controlling with Fire and Time.

drgrimmy
07-28-2013, 11:43 PM
Really? The second highest (assuming you have lightnings 15% upgrade) single target damage skill that also has 4x stacking DoT is useless on single targets with large hp?

Yes, actually when taking into account the stacking dot, frost is actually one of the strongest single target damage skills, even more than light with the 15% damage upgrade unless light crits and you have the 250% upgrade. This has been calculated out a long time ago by some number crunching forumers.

The added beauty of frost is the aoe effects when used as a charged skill. It will do its initial damage to the main target and freeze that target doing dot, but in addition it will slow or freeze several enemies adjacent to the main target also doing dot to these enemies too. This is why I always get it with the second and third upgrades only, which activate the dot and extend the time of the slow/freeze effects and the dot.

fumolamota
07-31-2013, 02:18 PM
Seriously thinking about dropping heal & going with: fire, frost, time, shield + passives int/dmg/str.

I currently have fire, light, heal, shield + int/crit/dmg. I don't know if it's my weak gear, or the fact that ribbit doesn't want to drop for me, but the crits I do get don't justify the skill allocations. I'm thinking crowd control may be a better route for elite farming

ryantat
08-27-2013, 10:05 PM
Seriously thinking about dropping heal & going with: fire, frost, time, shield + passives int/dmg/str.

I currently have fire, light, heal, shield + int/crit/dmg. I don't know if it's my weak gear, or the fact that ribbit doesn't want to drop for me, but the crits I do get don't justify the skill allocations. I'm thinking crowd control may be a better route for elite farming

I don't think you kill mobs quickly with 2 skills Fire + light.

I suggest replace heal with Frost or Time is better. Shield is better than Heal on PvE.

fumolamota
08-28-2013, 09:33 AM
I currently don't use shield or heal. Fire, ice, Time, Light. Mobs drop quickly & still have viable skills for boss battles. The only downfall is going through pots quickly. We'll see how the expansion changes skill usage & mapping

Valsacar
08-29-2013, 09:12 AM
I currently don't use shield or heal. Fire, ice, Time, Light. Mobs drop quickly & still have viable skills for boss battles. The only downfall is going through pots quickly. We'll see how the expansion changes skill usage & mapping

This is me, all out damage. I die sometimes, and use lots of pots (which doesn't bother me) but I do great damage. Time is good on bosses if your team knows to keep him in the circle.