PDA

View Full Version : Scammers

Drewl90
10-24-2010, 10:52 AM
I just want to make people aware of a certain situation which i have found myself in recently.

A one man scam is possible using 2 characters.
I recently saw an advertisement by (someone i shall not name), in which he advertised "Trading Void wing shield or power rift armor for 2 jacob helmets of cosmos"

Knowing this was a good trade as i needed a void wing, and the value of 2 jacob helmets wasn't exactly the same value of the void wing itself, i rushed around to buy jacob helmets from friends and people i could find.

After buying one, I contacted (someone i shall not name), asking him for a trade with one jacob helmet + 150k-200k for the void wing. He turned down the offer and told me that he will be online for another hour or so if I found another jacobs helmet for him.

After 2 minutes, I found someone selling a jacobs helmet for 180k, and i quickly agreed to buying it, obviously thinking that i could still a good deal.

I only found that (someone i shall not name) was not online anymore. That was only 2 minutes, and he told me he'd be online for the next hour or so. I've been waiting for the past few hours, and i believe i've been scammed. Both parties, the person i bought the jacobs helmet from and (someone i shall not name) were the same guy... Some of my friends have confirmed it. =/

I've had a few people tell me that there have been scammers like this(unfortunately pretty smart). I just want to let all of you know not to follow what greed brought me to do. :(

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k516/drewagassi/7acb1777.jpg
I saw him advertising and demanded that he dealed with me

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k516/drewagassi/c90e13ab.jpg
I told him to trade a void wing with me.
*ignore matyap. he's a friend I was chatting with

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k516/drewagassi/13f128c8.jpg
Moonchu says: "OK" and then I suddenly cant find him.

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k516/drewagassi/68eeed2e.jpg
A few seconds later I see rykiellau selling Jacobs helm of cosmos.

IM TELLING AS I SEE IT. I don't mind not getting my item back, but I demand justice to be brought to this potential threat to other people. If i really get FULL EVIDENCE that both characters are controlled by the same person....... *sigh* i'll be at a loss of words

Wyvern
10-24-2010, 11:36 AM
I feel sorry for you :( if I get the wing shield (I'm farming alot at the moment) I will trade for them. Add xwyvernx

CanonicalKoi
10-24-2010, 11:40 AM
Either an honest seller is currently offering the same deal in Forest Haven, or the unnamed party is trying it again.

Drewl90
10-24-2010, 12:26 PM
i just caught him. will be posting a picture of it soon.
the evidence is not really clear, but i think he is definitely the person because of 2 things

1. He logged out as soon as he saw i had 2 jacob cosmo helms
2. 10 seconds later he logged in with the same guy i saw just now.

I'M SO ANGRY I WANNA SKEWER HIM! GAH!

Drewl90
10-24-2010, 12:40 PM
I feel sorry for you :( if I get the wing shield (I'm farming alot at the moment) I will trade for them. Add xwyvernx

Wow really?? *hugs you*
lol.

But hey no need to worry about it man. :). There isn't full evidence that this is another scammer on the move. This is only speculating that he is a scammer... (Although other people say that he is the same person).

Until i find out whether he is the same person or not, i will not take your void wing from you. :) but thanks so much man!

CanonicalKoi
10-24-2010, 01:03 PM
Yeah, same two names I saw and same deal--person offering the trade left, immediately followed by the guy selling the helm appearing and it happened three times that I saw this morning.

Quack
10-24-2010, 03:00 PM
Oh please. It's your fault if you get scammed. Most scammers are idiots, how do you fall for them?

setec
10-24-2010, 03:04 PM
Most scammers are idiots, yes. But there are scammers that do have some talent in scamming.

If there is a lame scam, sure, blame the victim I guess.

But if this one posted in OP is true, then this is a more complicated scam and a good one. Could take in anyone. I wouldn't blame the victim here.

Drewl90
10-24-2010, 03:07 PM
Oh please. It's your fault if you get scammed. Most scammers are idiots, how do you fall for them?

well up until now i've been relatively sharp on looking at figures when trading and making sure everything is perfect before checking the trade box.
I just wasn't aware people actually did that.

and anyways it doesn't sound like you've read my post. This is just a warning to others, not me looking for self pity.

regarding "most scammers are idiots", well apparently this one isn't.

setec
10-24-2010, 03:09 PM
regarding "most scammers are idiots", well apparently this one isn't.

Lol, you did read my entire post right not just the first line? I am defending you here. :)

Drewl90
10-24-2010, 03:13 PM
haha err. you might want to have a look who read the entire post and who didnt. :P
I was quoting quack. :)

jonboy
10-24-2010, 04:35 PM
I wrote about this scam and hows it's done in the "how to merchant?" thread, about two days ago, knowledge is power.

Sorry for your loss.

smoae
10-24-2010, 06:13 PM
How is that a scam? You got two overlord helms cheap that you can now sell for a good price.

Royce
10-24-2010, 06:17 PM
How is that a scam? You got two overlord helms cheap that you can now sell for a good price.

They are actually Jacob's Helms of the Cosmos, which seem to sell frequently for about 75-100k these days...

smoae
10-24-2010, 06:20 PM
They are actually Jacob's Helms of the Cosmos, which seem to sell frequently for about 75-100k these days...

well why would you (drewl) buy one for 180k if you knew they actually werent worth that much...

Wbto-Angeluscustos
10-24-2010, 06:27 PM
? yeah same question and im sorry about the incedent ;)(

setec
10-24-2010, 07:37 PM
haha err. you might want to have a look who read the entire post and who didnt. :P
I was quoting quack. :)

lol. we both used the same exact phrase it seems.

TwinkTastical
10-24-2010, 07:52 PM
This almost doesnt seem like a scam,but a case of coincidental timing, I mean srsly? there is no solid proof that either of these players was scamming.

smoae
10-24-2010, 08:40 PM
i still dont get how this is a scam.

1. you want a laser talon
2. someones trading a laser talon for 2 cosmo helms.
3. you go and buy two overpriced cosmo helms.
4. person selling talon has gone offline

maybe he had to go unexpectantly???
seems like the fault is yours for buying two overpriced helmets...

Jespo
10-24-2010, 08:55 PM
wow i saw some guy doing this in toown and i thought of doing it but i didnt and im glad i decided not to

Royce
10-24-2010, 09:49 PM

What qualifies it as a scam is the OP's assertion that the person offering the wing for two helms was the same person who sold him the overpriced helm, then disappeared. If it is, or even if it was a collaborator, it would certainly qualify as a scam in my book, a scam that can be avoided by just being sensible, but still...

Drewl90
10-24-2010, 10:41 PM
well why would you (drewl) buy one for 180k if you knew they actually werent worth that much...

Okay just to clear things up, TBH I thought Jacobs helmet sold at 120k nowadays, but thats not the point. Void wings are still pretty rare in this game, and I was desperate to get one to complete my archer set.

I bought the first Jacobs helm for 110k, and bought the second one at 180k.

Considering that void wings don't sell any less than 300 or sometimes 350 for that matter, and considering that they are still relatively rare in the game, I believe I still had a good deal going on.

If any of u find void wings and are selling them for 250k - 300k I'll buy them ;)

Drewl90
10-24-2010, 10:43 PM

I'm talking about void WINGS.

Drewl90
10-24-2010, 10:46 PM
What qualifies it as a scam is the OP's assertion that the person offering the wing for two helms was the same person who sold him the overpriced helm, then disappeared. If it is, or even if it was a collaborator, it would certainly qualify as a scam in my book, a scam that can be avoided by just being sensible, but still...

I'm still a bit stumped because I've never seen anything done like this, but I'm happy that I got to experience it because now that I know, I won't be scammed again.

giayuan
10-25-2010, 10:29 PM
whew.. thanks for info
im lookin for the wing too, thanks drewl agen
dont wanna be scammed -_-

smoae
10-25-2010, 10:47 PM

Well that still doesn't really qualify it as a scam... Lots of people sell void wings and Jacobs helms, so you can be positive its the same person. Even if it was, I guess it's kind of a scam, but part of the fault gos to you for buying the over priced helms, even if you weren't aware they were overpriced. You should never buy over priced things even if it might get you a good deal in a trade, because you never know what can happen.

Drewl90
10-25-2010, 11:04 PM
Well that still doesn't really qualify it as a scam... Lots of people sell void wings and Jacobs helms, so you can be positive its the same person. Even if it was, I guess it's kind of a scam, but part of the fault gos to you for buying the over priced helms, even if you weren't aware they were overpriced. You should never buy over priced things even if it might get you a good deal in a trade, because you never know what can happen.

Ah wells I guess you could put it that way,
But I've never encountered this type of scam before, and I'm sure you'd blame all those people who have never read the forums before. I'm sure we'd all love to see them get scammed :)

This is just a post warning others about the dangers of this scam. I'm not looking for sympathy.

TruePlayer
10-27-2010, 02:44 AM
Oh the scammer you talking about is a lvl 45 mage with the toad helm name (MoonChu) beware this person lol he almost got me. I felt dumb too trading two jacob cosmo for a void wing, thinking about it. Its the worst selling rare out there y would anybody want two lol. Oh and the other scam moonchu use was trading halloween set for void wing and power armor lol. Next thing you know there a guy selling halloween
Pinks lol. People do anything for money even sink that low

Inching
10-27-2010, 02:51 AM
buying 2 jacobs for an average px of 150 is not that bad.. u can still sell them back out now for around that price in town.... 150 is the high end but doable so sell them back out now before they drop even more in price.

Drewl90
10-27-2010, 03:09 AM
Oh the scammer you talking about is a lvl 45 mage with the toad helm name (MoonChu) beware this person lol he almost got me. I felt dumb too trading two jacob cosmo for a void wing, thinking about it. Its the worst selling rare out there y would anybody want two lol. Oh and the other scam moonchu use was trading halloween set for void wing and power armor lol. Next thing you know there a guy selling halloween

sigh. yeah so much greed involved. tsk tsk. One of the main fun things about the game is the difficulty of earning money. With all the money in PL, what fun would there be? You can buy anything you want and there wouldn't be much to do anymore except to look for more items and just PvP.(although pvp is awesomely fun when bored.) :D

@Inching: hm i think jacobs cosmos dont really sell for that price now. it's been a bit difficult selling them for 100k already. I sold one a few days ago for 150k, but now i'm having trouble selling this one. =/

xera
10-27-2010, 06:39 AM

ah yeah i saw that. i tried to offer him my halloween set but he wouldn't trade me

chau
10-27-2010, 08:29 AM
This moonchu did the same trick right at the beginning of oa3, that time power armor rift priced at more than a mil and he spam in town saying that will trade power armor rift for something was much cheaper i dont remmeber, rift shield or cosmos wand or something, right when i show the item on trade display, he disappeared and another person come and sellin that item