PDA

View Full Version : pure mages underpowered

XghostzX
10-24-2010, 12:52 PM
So i'm a level 50 pure mage and wanted peoples opinions. Pure mages are simply underpowered and im sure most of you see that. It's also frustrating because its hard to sell your equipment since most players are dex and str based...and that means you basically have to keep your equipment and loot for hours.

CanonicalKoi
10-24-2010, 01:05 PM
I don't know that we're under-powered, but under-armored--that I'd definitely agree with. Nothing says loving like drinking a tank pot and getting one-shotted 3 seconds later....

Drewl90
10-24-2010, 01:11 PM
I don't know that we're under-powered, but under-armored--that I'd definitely agree with. Nothing says loving like drinking a tank pot and getting one-shotted 3 seconds later....

well said. i can definitely agree with that. make a suggestion to the devs? it's worth looking at.

Arterra
10-24-2010, 02:18 PM
i will keep Arterra as a dexmage (maybe switch back to pally...) and will make another mage in the hopes that by the time i actually get around to leveling her (name: Vaerion) things will be better lol

XghostzX
10-24-2010, 03:23 PM
yah under armored, that's right. I was talking to residentevl about this situation and he told me that the devs would make a update soon so its balanced. In the mean time i think i'm going to be a str mage or dex mage because i hate getting killed so easily in PvE and PvP.

aldoric
10-24-2010, 03:25 PM
Yes i agree mages a kinda under armoured they can get 1 shooted by most bosses

XghostzX
10-24-2010, 03:38 PM
yeah mages always get one shot by most bosses. Its frustrating because when you try to loot from the overlord, you die right away and leave your group hanging. Even armor pots dont even work but sometimes the trash potion can...

icantgetkills
10-24-2010, 04:49 PM
ill tell u under POWERED PALLYS!! RIFT IS SO BAD pallys are so trash they have 15 h/s and 2m/s.... its trash....
i cant respec my pally because i cant buy void

jonboy
10-24-2010, 05:17 PM
Mages are meant to be squashy.

Arterra
10-24-2010, 05:17 PM

but they should be able to help out at all. walk in to rez, SNIPE!

jonboy
10-24-2010, 05:19 PM
That is true, my generic comment for the fail :)

shadywack
10-24-2010, 06:50 PM
I don't think they're underpowered. I can do huge amounts of damage. My int mage is pretty powerful at just level 48. The problem is that I get killed way too easily. In AO3.4 if there's no tank, I can't get past the first parts of the map. I also have to be way careful of what I aggro. It sucks because the huge dps between the spells and the staff doing splash damage usually aggros everything even after the tank aggro'd it first. It just sucks, I can't use the primary benefit because doing so just gets me killed almost immediately by 15 enemies.

Crazy great group damage abilities though. Underpowered isn't the case just under-defended. Insta-death in about %75 of AO3.

dirtball
10-24-2010, 07:03 PM
One big issue is the mana shield. Activate it and lose all your mana, then die because you have no spells to repulse or heal or revive. Don't activate it and die before being any help whatsoever. It's tough to play a fighting type game where you sit back and watch or just quickly die.

Inching
10-24-2010, 07:12 PM
Int Mages are hard to play indeed... for me I put 200 into base INT and the rest into Dex and this helps out "a bit" but what I find is crutial is to max all 3 debuffs Nightmear, Weakness and Healt Steal.... this helps out a whole lot in survivability when solo'ing.

What I find also keeps me alive is the full cosmo set... gives me 36mana regen and 16 Health regen which with mana shield up Im pretty unstable for that little time span and then I find myself running for dear life...

I thought they were going to fix the skill based damage... because if they did already I sure dont see the difference~!!!!

Raxie
10-24-2010, 07:50 PM
add some dex. also, int mages aren't that bad in pvp. if you know what you are doing, you can beat some players.

dirtball
10-24-2010, 08:53 PM
Full cosmos set is hard to come by if you don't have tons of gold. I have very good regen on both but I still get one shotted by almost every boss. I just hit level 49 and can't even think about soloing an entire level in AO3, even the first Orthozz brother is a pain, let's not talk about the second. I may not know all the inside secrets to mages, but either do 90% of casual plyers. That's where the future money is for STS so make them feel like it's impossible and bye bye.

TheLaw
10-24-2010, 09:01 PM
aw come on, Orthozz brothers are easy, get your team to pot up and kill him (glue him to the wall for easier kill) double pot FTW!

TwinkTastical
10-24-2010, 10:43 PM
Yeah,they do need more hp

Fyrce
10-25-2010, 04:58 AM
I didn't think my level 48 int mage was having that hard a time, but she has dex as a secondary stat and I am debating adding to dex or str for next levels. She definitely could not tank though.

Inching
10-25-2010, 05:02 AM
Full cosmos set is hard to come by if you don't have tons of gold. I have very good regen on both but I still get one shotted by almost every boss. I just hit level 49 and can't even think about soloing an entire level in AO3, even the first Orthozz brother is a pain, let's not talk about the second. I may not know all the inside secrets to mages, but either do 90% of casual plyers. That's where the future money is for STS so make them feel like it's impossible and bye bye.

with the full set u also have hier armor + stats bonus yes? meaning ur crit, dodge, etc is also higher.

expensive... yes i agree but u need to look out for deals in town also.

Spiritualist
10-25-2010, 05:46 AM
Certainly I struggle alot in various areas. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I just don't think it's right that one hit from a boss should kill me stone dead and even those pesky yellow aliens kill me with just two hits. Giving us more powerful defense spells would be one way to assist, that way my 36 mana regen could get some use! (Perhaps we can could have an invisibility spell too - that would be nice. ;))

Arterra
10-25-2010, 06:46 AM
I LIKE the idea of a "anti-aggro" spell... Long cooldown, and will either make invisible to monsters for a few secs or will put all your current aggro back to 0... Niiiice

Spiritualist
10-25-2010, 09:38 AM
I LIKE the idea of a "anti-aggro" spell... Long cooldown, and will either make invisible to monsters for a few secs or will put all your current aggro back to 0... NiiiiceI do have my moments. :/

Superzarop
10-25-2010, 11:48 AM
Bosses one shot mages that a meant to be squishy and 2 shots a warrior that are meant to survive. I dont see the underpower there. Sure warrs got the tanking buffs but you got your mana shield, heal and posibility of kiting melee stuff.

Lets look at it another way, a team without mage fails everything at AO3 without pot. The same team, but this time with 1 less warrior or archer and have a mage instead can win everything! They can even defeat Overlord with a wall tank and a mage spam ressing!

And how about I say warriors are underpowered? We cant solo yellows without using potions and we cant solo King or Gurg at all. (Maybe Gurg but will take years)

And stop QQing about gear being expensive! Why the **** would a mage need very good gear when they shoulodnt be attacked at all? It maybe just saves you a few mana pots.

Royce
10-25-2010, 11:57 AM
Bosses one shot mages that a meant to be squishy and 2 shots a warrior that are meant to survive. I dont see the underpower there. Sure warrs got the tanking buffs but you got your mana shield, heal and posibility of kiting melee stuff.

Lets look at it another way, a team without mage fails everything at AO3 without pot. The same team, but this time with 1 less warrior or archer and have a mage instead can win everything! They can even defeat Overlord with a wall tank and a mage spam ressing!

And how about I say warriors are underpowered? We cant solo yellows without using potions and we cant solo King or Gurg at all. (Maybe Gurg but will take years)

And stop QQing about gear being expensive! Why the **** would a mage need very good gear when they shoulodnt be attacked at all? It maybe just saves you a few mana pots.

Int mages are underpowered mostly due to the attribute imbalance (overpowered Dex) and relative weakness of stat driven skills. And I don't think people are saying so much that they are underpowered compared to other classes, but actually their own hybrids. Sure you need a mage on your team to rez, but a paladin can do that just as well as an Int mage and is more likely to survive nukes and still be standing to rez. Not sure where you're coming from with the warrior stuff, but warriors are far from underpowered (though not as OP as birds). A warrior can solo anything in AO3 as long as you are willing to spam health pots, and take the time to do the damage needed. Warrior buffs are the greatest skill advantage in the game. Rage, Ironblood, and Evasion is a crazy combo of buffs, plus then the added dodge buff of Taunt, and warriors are ridiculously well protected.

Superzarop
10-25-2010, 12:21 PM
Royce youre so pro, crushes almost all my arguments in one post just as long as mine :_(

Still who needs uber pwn gear when they are mainly meant to only heal and rev and NOT pull aggro from the mobs.

Halfstar
10-25-2010, 01:18 PM
ya under powered
to easy 2 kill im lvl42 i could kick a lvl50 mages ****

Chickdigcookies
10-25-2010, 01:22 PM
(¯`v´¯)
`*.¸.*´
¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`• mages ftw

BeardedBear
10-25-2010, 01:52 PM
(¯`v´¯)
`*.¸.*´
¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`• mages ftw

20 year old dude writing butterflies on forums FTL

SgtOVERKILL
10-25-2010, 02:00 PM
Just switched from str Mage to pure because I wa pure before and hated being under armored which is why the deva should make a cloth that is stronger and not so hard to get

Arterra
10-25-2010, 02:22 PM
Royce youre so pro, crushes almost all my arguments in one post just as long as mine :_(

Still who needs uber pwn gear when they are mainly meant to only heal and rev and NOT pull aggro from the mobs.

then tell me WHY there is this gear? that is one of the worst arguments I have heard. revving and healing, not to mention debuffing in general make up A LOT of aggro for us.. when in a rush (sorry lol) i will NOT stop to rez a comrade, not even heal a failing warrior... I will get SWAMPED.

Superzarop
10-25-2010, 03:49 PM
K your argument is you always have to pull aggro so you need more armor? K i understand. But careful, Royce might come eat you up for saying rush.

pooop
10-25-2010, 04:05 PM
better yet, before you make a comment about being a mage, play and level one up first. i used to love my mage during ao2. the aoe spells were a blast and i could run around fairly uninhibited as long as i was quick on the heal pot button.
since ao3 I have barely touched my mage. it is incredibly frustrating to die every time i turn a corner with her. and the only way to even start to be successful with a mage of any type is to be lvl 50 and owning respective cosmo/rift/void gear.

CanonicalKoi
10-25-2010, 05:25 PM

Squishy, I can deal with. Road-kill-three-days-in-moist-heat-squashy's a bit harder. ;) There's a boss or two that'll ignore a mage not throwing offensive spells, only heal or res. The others, though, I'd swear they blast a mage before you do *anything*. And don't get me started on the nasty little, pink-gloved aliens...... It's a little hard to feel like you're playing the game when you're spending a fair portion of it hiding out in hallways. A longer effective time period on Mana Shield or even a shorter cool-down would be a very, very large help.

Arterra
10-25-2010, 05:28 PM
yep ao2 was a blast lol... full thoth could do anything.

you can do ao3 currently, but not with any satisfaction.

Fyrce
10-25-2010, 08:27 PM
I had a lot of fun w/ my mage in Ao3 in groups with good tanks. They made Ao3 look almost easy. The emphasis is on good. The bears should be able to block most snipers without too much trouble. If that's not the case, then they're wanna-be-tanks and all mages should so note, so as not to mistake them for the mage shields that good tanks are.

dirtball
10-25-2010, 10:00 PM
Anyone who answers "pot up and stop whining" is an idiot. I potted for the keeper with a lvl 48 mage and still got one shotted. That was worth the 6000 gold. I don't bother anymore. Would rather save up for the better stuff but pot costs are killing me.. if the bad guys don't get me first!

Lesrider
10-28-2010, 10:10 PM
I agree. Used to love my Mage and ignored my bear until ao3 came out. Now the only boss I enjoy fighting with my Mage is Gurgox. The others just double my death count.

Still love my Mage for ao2 cash runs -- a team of mages clears the place soooo fast. But I would like to be able to take advantage of my mage's awesome power in ao3 without dying so easily. Granted, I don't have good armor yet, so I'll have to see if my opinion changes with proper armor.

Orei
10-29-2010, 01:46 AM
Base on my experience, IMO,

If your hp is around 200 ~ 250 and your armor is below 120 points, you are easily one-hit from some of the AO3 bosses, even if you potted up def, buffed up, spamming pots etc.

Safe region for armor points is 140 ~ 160, with 280 or above hp. At least this gives you a chance to survive with spamming hp pots.