PDA

View Full Version : Please remove the backwards dash of gale

drgrimmy
07-28-2013, 02:10 AM
I wanted to reserve my judgment on the changes to gale until I had some time to try them out. I believe that I am one of the few mages that routinely used gale before the change, so i wanted to give some feedback. I greatly appreciate the buff that increased the number of enemies hit by the skill, but I absolutely dislike the backwards dash :(

1) Timed runs: many mages need gale to be able to compete in pure timed runs. The backwards dash is entirely counterproductive in this regard. We all know how often charged skills fail, for whatever reasons, be it lag or otherwise. When this charged skill fails in a timed run, it costs you 5sec or so which is an eternity as far as timed runs go. Not only do you go backwards instead of gaining a 25% speed boost, but you also appear to be momentarily stunned after you dash backwards making this charged skill failure even more painful to endure. To me it seems as though the recoil for firing the cannons at kraag was just recycled for this skill, and it continues to cause a momentary stun after you dash backwards. Not cool :(

2) For fighting mobs in PvE I also find this addition to the skill annoying. It was always nice to have the 25% skill boost to keep up with rogues and warriors and to be able to run through enemy mobs quickly. Unfortunately, this upgrade now requires you to charge this skill every time you want to use it if you don't want to be blown backwards. This just wastes time and we all know how often charged skills fail (as mentioned above). So why wouldn't you want the blowback? Sure I like keeping my distance from mobs, but I don't like to get so far away that I can no longer attack and lose my control of the mob. Also I cannot tell you how annoying it is to be blown backwards into an ice patch or into a mob you did not want to gain the aggro of. Oh yeah, did I also mention the annoying stun like effect of this blowback too?

3) For pvp... Why do warriors and rogues have a skill that helps them to run flags faster but mages get nothing? All classes have a heal type skill. All classes have a shield type skill. Why can't all classes have a FORWARD dash skill to help with running flags. The fact that the 25% speed boost of gale does not work with flag is incredibly lame if you are not going to give us a FORWARD dash.

Please consider removing the backward dash of gale. I am fine if we get no forward dash. Although perhaps fun for kicks, I find no situation for which this feature is useful, and only have found many situations in which this skill is a hindrance.

JaytB
07-28-2013, 02:22 AM
I agree, for PvE I haven't found much use for the backwards dash.

It would be cool if STS would just remove it again.

Valsacar
07-28-2013, 05:55 AM
That's what I thought when they released it. There's a number of things that they gave sorcs that just make no sense at all. For example, besides gale, the proc on the mythic gun. 95% of it is GREAT, but the scatter effect SUCKS.

Haligali
07-28-2013, 11:43 AM
Agree with this +1
Also dodge was more useful, gale is a tomb skill, no need to armor buff but dodge can help against shark stuns in kraken mines 1.

Obi
07-28-2013, 07:01 PM
They should change that upgrade to instant teleport forward and then the gale will be superb..

falmear
07-28-2013, 07:10 PM
I brought up some of these points in the original thread when the changes were proposed and they were dismissed. And you can thank all those people who said dash backwards was a great idea against bosses and pvp. But every single time I have played with anyone that uses gale they always charge it. Or don't have this upgrade. And dash backwards was purely done to be different from rogue's dash. I don't play PvP often but when I do, I've never seen anyone using dash backwards. I hope they remove dash backwards as this is an awful upgrade to gale.

SkullCrusher
07-28-2013, 07:32 PM
+1! But rogues don't have shields lol.

drgrimmy
07-28-2013, 10:37 PM
+1! But rogues don't have shields lol.

Haha, thanks. I was referring to RAZOR SHIELD. I guess it has fallen out of favor and many not consider a true shield, although it appears that STS intended it to be the rogue's version of a shield given its name. Nevertheless, thanks for the support! :)

Energizeric
07-29-2013, 12:11 AM
That's what I thought when they released it. There's a number of things that they gave sorcs that just make no sense at all. For example, besides gale, the proc on the mythic gun. 95% of it is GREAT, but the scatter effect SUCKS.

Yes, for mobs the scatter effect isn't good. But for PvP scatter is great. It pushes everyone back away from you and then makes it easier for you to target the player you want. I hate when a rogue is hiding behind a warrior. When the runic proc hits, it scatters the warrior back and I can then target the rogue while they are both stunned.

katish
07-31-2013, 05:39 PM
+1 on this

Please remove the dash backwards effect.. It serves no purpose at all, it's impossible to control.. I'd much rather dash forward to get in range of spells or I can face the opposite direction and dash out of danger..

Enviado de meu GT-I9300 usando o Tapatalk 2

falmear
07-31-2013, 05:52 PM
They should just eliminate dash backwards and put the speed upgrade to non charged. That's different enough from any other classes skill. And its only useful in pve so I doubt anyone is going to get upset. But I feel like this will never happen.

Swede
07-31-2013, 06:06 PM
If I change it to dash forward, can you promise in one week there's not a thread in here with 20 people asking me to change it back?

Y O L O
07-31-2013, 08:25 PM
Thx swede for shutting them up :)

drgrimmy
08-01-2013, 12:52 AM
If I change it to dash forward, can you promise in one week there's not a thread in here with 20 people asking me to change it back?

Lol, of course not! Is there anything on this forum that people don't complain about? You knew the answer to that question before you even asked it :) I am sure every sorcerer appreciates all of the changes you have tried to make for gale. Nevertheless, I think there probably is a pretty strong consensus to get rid of the backwards dash. I don't think that adding a forward dash is necessary, and as you stated may even be disliked by some if added.

Thx swede for shutting them up :)

No reason to be rude. We are all just trying to be constructive here.

Venom
08-01-2013, 12:56 AM
Agreed, its kinda annoying when you accidentally tap it instead of charging, or when it fails, you miss out 5 secs.. every millisecond counts when it comes to timed runs!! Please take away that option of backwards dash.. just makes it difficult for mages.

Haligali
08-01-2013, 02:00 AM

The changes with the curse and shield skills fared well, but gale is another thing. This skill was always famous in hauntlet and tomb runs, not in elite or pvp.
The only change what i wanna maybe see in this skill is the extra speed bonus when flag carrying in pvp.

JaytB
08-01-2013, 02:26 AM

Nobody complained about gale when it didn't have any dash added to it. It was also never a suggestion made by players as far as I can remember.

Now that players had the time to play around with it, they see it doesn't have much (any?) use at all. I'm sure you are right, if you'd change it to dash forward, other complaints would arise. That's not what we're asking for though, our request was to completely remove it, not turn it into another dash skill.

Maybe buff the walk speed a couple % and remove the dash completely? The current problem is that if you'd choose to increase walk speed, you can't use an uncharged gale anymore without getting flung backwards. Before the update I'd not always charge gale, while after the update I'm almost obligated to do so if I don't want to fly backwards.

Personally, for PvE, the backwards dash only gave me annoyances without any apparent benefit, and most people I talked to in game seem to agree. If something that was working great gets changed into something that doesn't seem to work at all, isn't it the duty of the community to inform you guys about it?

moot
08-01-2013, 06:15 AM
For reall? I love you to deathhhh...

I think it's better to make it 50% speed boost if charge and 25% speed boost (or nothing happens) if uncharge.

IronMonkey
08-01-2013, 07:51 AM

Flag bearers will celebrate.

Obi
08-01-2013, 08:06 AM

Can we just all vote if we want that or not, please?

moonway03
08-01-2013, 08:57 AM

I vote for dash forward lol,seems cool to me.

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2

falmear
08-01-2013, 05:49 PM

You cant stop people from complaining but less people will complain if you change it or remove dash backwards. Or to put it another way more people will be happy. Personally I would just like to see it removed because doing timed runs is very difficult now. Because I have to charge this skill 100% of the time. And I need to take an extra 2 or 3 seconds to be sure its charged otherwise it can ruin the entire run. Which becomes rather annoying.

Linkincena
08-01-2013, 10:07 PM
I have an idea....
Put backwards dash as an upgrade in gale..
Speed as a normal buff....

katish
08-06-2013, 09:28 PM
I have never been a gale fan for pve.. Except on timed runs...

That being said, I'd appreciate a dash skill that would be useful in pvp since we're the only class without one. Specially considering the speed bonus doesn't work when flagging..

Can we come up with a solution where we keep the dash?

Enviado de meu GT-I9300 usando o Tapatalk 2

Swede
09-10-2013, 11:42 AM
My current plan is to change the Dash to move you forwards instead of backwards. I'm also planning to move it to the Charged version of Gale Force instead.

Haligali
09-10-2013, 11:58 AM
My current plan is to change the Dash to move you forwards instead of backwards. I'm also planning to move it to the Charged version of Gale Force instead.

So, it will increase movement speed and a forward dash if charged, or will they be in separated upgrade?

Swede
09-10-2013, 12:01 PM
So, it will increase movement speed and a forward dash if charged, or will they be in separated upgrade?

The movement speed increase is part of the same upgrade but will now apply both when you charge and not charge it.

Haligali
09-10-2013, 12:27 PM
The movement speed increase is part of the same upgrade but will now apply both when you charge and not charge it.

Sounds good for me. :)

FluffNStuff
09-10-2013, 12:46 PM
All I will add is I was building a sorc but stopped playing playing it because I lost one of the few non charge AOE damage skills. Seemed cool at first, but uncontrolled movement = death.

FluffNStuff
09-10-2013, 12:47 PM
Question, unrelated to Gale but a Sorc thing, ANY chance of getting lightning to proc on hit instead of death?

katish
09-10-2013, 06:34 PM
@swede TY so much for this info, with this change I might actually take gale in my skill rotation :)

I am just wndering how the aoe upgrade would work with the dash upgrade.. i'm gonna talk with my fellow sorcs about this and try to organize my ideas....

ty!

Haowesie
09-10-2013, 06:53 PM

Hi Swede, will it work while carrying flag in CTF? Otherwise, I vote to remove it and add something that matches jump skill from warrior and rogues.

drgrimmy
09-10-2013, 09:39 PM

Thank you so much! I think it is good to make the dash forward and to make it part of the charged version of the skill to decrease the risk of accidentally dashing when not desired. As with meecah I am curious how it will work with the other charged upgrades of the skill. I would prefer having the armor boost without having to dash forward if I have both of these upgrades, although I guess it makes sense to increase your armor when you are dashing into or out of danger, lolz. Once again, thank you so much for taking our feedback into consideration, and I look forward to testing out the changes :)

JaytB
09-10-2013, 11:59 PM

Sounds sweet to me!

Psykopathic28
09-11-2013, 09:38 AM

Dash forward on charged instead of backwards on non?
Speed boost charged or uncharged?
Everything else the same?

Instead of my usual long rants I'm gonna sum this up in 2 words for you Swede- Thank You :)

willieyams
09-11-2013, 08:37 PM
I have a 35 sors I use fireball gale force time shift and heal.the dashing forward thing is a great idea.I also have an all mages only guild Nordr elite mages any mage welcome character name CAOTALAF add me if u would like to party up with a healer/offensive player.

Haligali
09-12-2013, 04:23 AM
Another suggestion: if i do a backward dash with gale now, at the end, my sorc stops for a half second. Can you pls remove this little stop when you change the direction?

Alhuntrazeck
09-19-2013, 10:14 AM
Yknow what I feel most guilty about? This:

JaytB
09-19-2013, 10:39 AM
Yknow what I feel most guilty about? This:

If that was the only thing they changed, I would too.