PDA

View Full Version : If my Dragon Hall is only level 4, then why was I attacked by a level 8?

csb
07-28-2013, 10:12 PM
Someone with a level 8 Dragon Hall wiped my little town, which has a level 4 Dragon Hall.

I looked at his map, and he has every upgrade and level 6 walls. He must have put a lot of money into the game. Why would the game give him a PvP match with someone at my low level?

That seems to be a flaw in the PvP design.

Rare
07-29-2013, 08:09 AM
That's just the way it is. The PVP match making for sure has left a lot to be desired.

I spend a lot of gold skipping more noobier opponents.

Samhayne
07-29-2013, 08:18 AM
It is based on your trophy count, not the town hall level.

The development team is considering putting loot penalties in, so that differences in Dragon Hall level will equate to penalties or bonuses to help address such disparities.

Itoopeo
07-29-2013, 09:00 AM
Its not fair that DH9 pearl players keeps stealing 40-100k both resources from me "non pearl player".

glengon
07-29-2013, 10:21 AM
The loot penalty is a must :3

Rare
07-29-2013, 10:30 AM
Interesting that trophies are used since they have no bearing on the difficulty of the fortress or the level of the player.

I could have a level 4 DH with 10k trophies. Conversely, I could have a level 9 DH with 100 trophies.

csb
07-29-2013, 11:29 AM

Interesting that trophies are used since they have no bearing on the difficulty of the fortress or the level of the player.

I could have a level 4 DH with 10k trophies. Conversely, I could have a level 9 DH with 100 trophies.

Ah... Then, this is the key to playing the game correctly. The game should be played the way it is designed. Therefore, the right way to play is to reach level 9 with under 100 trophies. And then go farm the low level towns.

Dizzy
07-29-2013, 01:43 PM
Trophies are not a good measure. I have a level 9 farming me and getting only one star, when he could totally destroy me if he wanted to (my hall is level 5). I'm sure he's doing this to keep his trophy count low. This system encourages players to wait until they're a high level before battling or purposely lose trophies to have few enough to match with lesser players.

Hall level is a much better way to match opponents. Because I doubt the devs designed the game to favor players with high level halls/low trophy numbers. This is a flaw; really doubtful it's part of the game design. And it makes the leaderboard essentially pointless.

csb
07-29-2013, 02:20 PM
Trophies are not a good measure. I have a level 9 farming me and getting only one star, when he could totally destroy me if he wanted to (my hall is level 5). I'm sure he's doing this to keep his trophy count low. This system encourages people to hunt noobs or purposely lose trophies to have few enough to match with lesser players.

Hall level is a much better way to match opponents.

Yes. I was playing the game wrong. I was trying to come up with the best possible defense, while leveling up. I think I was attacked/wiped by a level 8 because I have level 7 gold hoards, and level 7 sheep corrals. He was farming for a net gain, but since I had just spent all sheep and gold, he had a net loss.

Now that I realize high level players with few trophies can whip me out, so my strategy has to be different. So, I am thinking that my new strategy will be:

#1 - Never keep sheep and gold unless I have a guardian. And, spend it all before the Guardian drops.

#2 - Have a really bad defense, so that i get wiped out. Then I will get a Guardian, and can save for something that is expensive to build.

#3 - Lose all my trophies so that I can farm resources from the lower levels.

#4 - Work on offense upgrades instead of defense, since defense is useless.

#5 - Use pearls for when the Guardian is about to drop, and I will be a little short on a high cost upgrade. Since, I need to spend all resources before the Guardian drops.

This is probably not the original intent of the game, but seems to be the best approach.

Dizzy
07-29-2013, 02:29 PM
Yeah, I'm doing most of those things too. The most important thing is never keep anything in stores, or at the very least, keep your stores well protected so they're not tempting.

Still, this is a new game, and a new type of game for STS. I think there need to be some tweaks, and this is one of them. I'm sure STS is paying attention and will adjust anything that isn't working. Meanwhile, the best strategy is the one you outlined above. But even doing the things you suggested, the game still favors people who are exploiting loopholes to bully those who can't build fast enough to protect themselves from players with endgame stats.

Cahaun
07-30-2013, 09:24 AM
Trophies are not a good measure. I have a level 9 farming me and getting only one star, when he could totally destroy me if he wanted to (my hall is level 5). I'm sure he's doing this to keep his trophy count low. This system encourages people to hunt noobs or purposely lose trophies to have few enough to match with lesser players.

Hall level is a much better way to match opponents.

Yes. I was playing the game wrong. I was trying to come up with the best possible defense, while leveling up. I think I was attacked/wiped by a level 8 because I have level 7 gold hoards, and level 7 sheep corrals. He was farming for a net gain, but since I had just spent all sheep and gold, he had a net loss.

Now that I realize high level players with few trophies can whip me out, so my strategy has to be different. So, I am thinking that my new strategy will be:

#1 - Never keep sheep and gold unless I have a guardian. And, spend it all before the Guardian drops.

#2 - Have a really bad defense, so that i get wiped out. Then I will get a Guardian, and can save for something that is expensive to build.

#3 - Lose all my trophies so that I can farm resources from the lower levels.

#4 - Work on offense upgrades instead of defense, since defense is useless.

#5 - Use pearls for when the Guardian is about to drop, and I will be a little short on a high cost upgrade. Since, I need to spend all resources before the Guardian drops.

This is probably not the original intent of the game, but seems to be the best approach.
Unfortunately, that's what it all seems to be at the moment. I can never seem to save up enough gold or sheep for high-cost upgrades so I'm forced to spend it all before my guardian goes just so the raiders don't keep stealing over 3 hours worth of gradual gain that I'll have to make up for before I start making more resources only to be raided again and take a few steps back again.
Now I just spend all my gold on defenses no matter how useless the walls are against the zerg of Crushers and Smashers that just overwhelm just about every defense line. At least we have the sheep-in-the-dojo method of saving a good chunk of our sheep so we don't lose a major loss of our sheep resources.

Kaytar
07-30-2013, 09:45 AM
Cahaun, Thren wanted me to mention that this is why she proposed those ideas on the "Hiding Sheep" thread. That aparently lead to a conversation between the two of you thu kik. :)

Cahaun
07-30-2013, 01:30 PM
Cahaun, Thren wanted me to mention that this is why she proposed those ideas on the "Hiding Sheep" thread. That aparently lead to a conversation between the two of you thu kik. :)
Yea. Me and Thren talked more about converting resources and such on Kik today.

rockmayhem
07-31-2013, 07:19 PM
I think it kinda works the way it is. As you gain trophies you also gain sheep and coin allowing you to build more. Yeah the heavy pearl users do have an advantage but they always will. This is part the way sts is able to get ppl to spend irl $s and allow them to pay their bills. For me I don't go looking for specific battles I just take the first pvp that pops up as win or loss it can be a learning experience for both parties. Going by dragon hall level really doesn't work as when someone advances there dragon hall they might not have capped other areas. I've been attacked several times now by ppl with higher lvl halls and held them off because I build my defences to the max of what it allows. Likewise I have lost battles attacking ppl with lower lvl halls and won against higher lvl. Its all how you build off of the resources you get. So imo its a working system.

Dizzy
07-31-2013, 07:45 PM
Try fending off devastators with a level 4 hall. Even if you max out your defenses, you're not going to stand against a couple of devastators. You have people capping everything with pearls and preying on low-level players over and over, not because they haven't built defenses but because someone with a low level hall has no way to defend against someone with level 9 toys.

Or I should say "had". They've changed it in the last update. IMO it was a major exploit that was creating a lot of frustration for people who couldn't save enough resources to build those defenses you suggest because they kept getting raided by players who were much, much stronger. So I'm glad it's fixed now. It should be fairer.

Rare
08-01-2013, 11:12 AM
Try fending off devastators with a level 4 hall.

Devastators? If you have a level 4 hall and you get attacked by a level 6 that has upgraded, there isn't much you can do.

Dizzy
08-01-2013, 11:25 AM
Devastators? If you have a level 4 hall and you get attacked by a level 6 that has upgraded, there isn't much you can do.

My point exactly. Which is why they've now changed it to factor hall level in with the matching.

Darko
08-05-2013, 10:56 AM
I have level 7 hall and get blasted by devistators lol

rkp71
08-19-2013, 08:03 AM
Yes, it's frustrating at times. I had 500+ trophies and got wiped out by someone with 5000+ trophies and one level higher dragon hall. Then I was on guardian and close to being able to upgrade a big upgrade, so i decided when I got the "guardian is about to end" notification I would log in and stay online till I had the resources. Well, the next notification I got was "you been attacked" skipped my guardian notice all together.

Multibird
08-19-2013, 03:18 PM
Have I farmed anyone in this thread? Cause I'm near 100 trophies farming

Sylvene
08-27-2013, 04:50 PM

The development team is considering putting loot penalties in, so that differences in Dragon Hall level will equate to penalties or bonuses to help address such disparities.

Yes, that is how most of these games work. Matchmaking is based on trophy count, not the town hall level. It seems to be the easier way to balance a game like this. Clash of Clans does this despite a note before launch that it was used only for pre-launch beta. Goblin Legion, Battle Beach, Pocket Fort all use this method of Matchmaking. Backyard Monsters - before I left playing the game had matchmaking based on level. If you notice, there isn't a leveling system here. Just the trophy level.

Clash of Clans has put in a loot penalty so players with high Hall levels can't farm the heck out of the lower levels. Much easier than implementing an ELO system, I am sure. So, players leave their halls outside for a cheap shield (or guardian in Battle Dragons), lose battles on purpose to lower their trophy counts and farm the heck out of the lower levels - is the way to go until loot penalties are put in.

glengon
08-28-2013, 10:48 AM
Yes, that is how most of these games work. Matchmaking is based on trophy count, not the town hall level. It seems to be the easier way to balance a game like this. Clash of Clans does this despite a note before launch that it was used only for pre-launch beta. Goblin Legion, Battle Beach, Pocket Fort all use this method of Matchmaking. Backyard Monsters - before I left playing the game had matchmaking based on level. If you notice, there isn't a leveling system here. Just the trophy level.

Clash of Clans has put in a loot penalty so players with high Hall levels can't farm the heck out of the lower levels. Much easier than implementing an ELO system, I am sure. So, players leave their halls outside for a cheap shield (or guardian in Battle Dragons), lose battles on purpose to lower their trophy counts and farm the heck out of the lower levels - is the way to go until loot penalties are put in.

Lol that post was like one month ago...
I think now its based on both trophy count and DH level(is it not?)
Loot penalties are already implemented...

Sylvene
08-28-2013, 02:17 PM
I just started playing when the game became available on iOS and on the first day I was off Guardian at DH3, I got wiped out by a DH 6 that took almost everything. So perhaps not.

Samhayne
08-28-2013, 02:26 PM
This is an old thread, so I'm going to close it up. A DH 8 can't attack a DH 3 anymore, as there are now DH limits for higher levels to attack down.

If you are a DH3, if you get a ton of trophies you maybe matched up with higher and higher opponents (as befits your trophy count).