PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts of a Bow PvE rogue. Need advice.

Enozz
07-29-2013, 12:40 PM
Ok first is first, I've seen a lot of discussion in the forums about NoX vs. Blade storm. Personally I've opted for Nox(with aoe) simply because most pugs are horrible and I'm tanking/main dps.

Also. I plan on farming elites with a guild that knows what they are doing. Currently I'm lvl 17 with;
Nox 5/5
Aimed shot 5/5
Trap 5/5
Dex passive 2/5

I put 2 points into str and 4 into dex from lvl 1-10 then from 11-17 I put 1 point into str with 5 into dex.

Now with the dps and parties I have seen, plus scanning the Auction House for end game legendary I have thought this would be the best build for elite farming bow rogues.

Nox 5/5
AS 5/5
Smoke screen 4/5 (the aoe dmg on the trap is non existant I think this is the same with smokebomb.
Dex passive 5/5
crit passive 5/5
then w.e you like most.
Since the high mana useage of spammable bow skills use helm and chest of savvy (dexand int) and since we at least need some hp (because pure dps makes no sense if you make 1 mistake and dont have the hp to survive, there are no battle res in this game) with a ring and amulet of dex and str. Sorry for bad format. StS has bad mobile device posting support.

Zuzeq
07-29-2013, 01:37 PM
I personally think that Crit isnt worth the skill points due to the fact the stat is based of of "chance". If you plan on running elite, I'd suggest placing points into Might/Knowlegde. I also think that the "add 10% poison damage" upgrade isnt worth the skill point.

Alrisaia
07-29-2013, 01:47 PM
I'm with Zu on Crit - DMG would even be a better place to put those passive points... especially since those points would grow with you because it's a % based increase.

BTW - Zu's guild (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?97745-lt-lt-lt-GOVERNMENT-of-ANARCHY-gt-gt-gt-focusing-on-PVE-and-Elite-Farming)and Elite Runners (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?94005-lt-Elite-Runners-gt-Recruiting-Members) are both full of Pro players who can help you spec and teach you end game strategy. GoA is larger but we follow essentially the same format: Help new players achieve their goals.

Enozz
07-29-2013, 03:04 PM
I personally think that Crit isnt worth the skill points due to the fact the stat is based of of "chance". If you plan on running elite, I'd suggest placing points into Might/Knowlegde. I also think that the "add 10% poison damage" upgrade isnt worth the skill point.

ok I can see the point in replacing crit with might or int. But I thought the whole point of nox was to debuff not raw dmg. It says they take 10% extra dmg for every sec thry are poisoned, I assumed this effect stacked for a total of 60% extra dmg taken (with the duration skill point) you mean to tell me its just 10% base? That really changes my opinion to this entire bow build as that would take a LOT of noxs punch away.

Enozz
07-29-2013, 03:06 PM
Also, thank you Alrisaia, will check out those guides and guild as well...i def dont want to be running with turbo tard int warriors or all str rogues /fail

FluffNStuff
07-29-2013, 03:08 PM
ok I can see the point in replacing crit with might or int. But I thought the whole point of nox was to debuff not raw dmg. It says they take 10% extra dmg for every sec thry are poisoned, I assumed this effect stacked for a total of 60% extra dmg taken (with the duration skill point) you mean to tell me its just 10% base? That really changes my opinion to this entire bow build as that would take a LOT of noxs punch away.

This is a common mistake. The 10% is 10% of the poison damage, which is only like 60, so that is 6 extra damage. It does not mean while poisoned they take 10% extra damage from all attacks.

Enozz
07-29-2013, 03:17 PM
This is a common mistake. The 10% is 10% of the poison damage, which is only like 60, so that is 6 extra damage. It does not mean while poisoned they take 10% extra damage from all attacks.

Wooww..so its even WORSE than a flat 10%base. Talk about misleading tool tips. Ok so knowing this ill stack more might passive, drop nox completly grab blade storm and just wade right in, drop charged smokescreen, charged bladestorm and spam AS. The bleed would seem more effective than the nox debuff then. Even with nox maxed. Also I really dnt see a point to nox at all anymore as it is a mana burn for such low return.

Zuzeq
07-29-2013, 03:20 PM
Wooww..so its even WORSE than a flat 10%base. Talk about misleading tool tips. Ok so knowing this ill stack more might passive, drop nox completly grab blade storm and just wade right in, drop charged smokescreen, charged bladestorm and spam AS. The bleed would seem more effective than the nox debuff then. Even with nox maxed. Also I really dnt see a point to nox at all anymore as it is a mana burn for such low return.

Hey hey now, don't sleep on Nox Bolt's AoE damage abilities now. See my thread "New Nox Bolt"

Azepeiete
07-29-2013, 03:29 PM
Aimed 5
Nox 4 no radius
Pierce 1
Shadow veil 4 no explode
5 dex
5 int
5 damage or str, personal choice.

Alrisaia
07-29-2013, 04:22 PM

If you went this route you should consider traps... You essentially described my tactics and build right there with the exception of the fact that I don't wade in I dive head first... Of course I also spec NOx bolt and recognize it's a powerful skill.

Enozz
07-29-2013, 09:31 PM
Lol woah. I didn't mean to make this an arguement about nox bolts effectiveness. I have used traps, actually its still on my bar. They just seem ineffective for cc (as they only hold enemies briefly) and they are only good 20% of the time on net proc for grouping. sooo that being said maybe its just poor tanking or grouping but I'm not doubting Noxs aoe dmg..it just seems like a low return in dmg for the burn of mana pots but hey gold comes easy I guess so I cant complain.

abihakim
07-29-2013, 09:38 PM
is recommend

Nox 3/5
15% dmg upgrade.
and duration

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Alrisaia
07-30-2013, 06:27 AM
nobody arguing :-)

you'll have to get with Zu to learn Nox's true power. i have yet to unlock it ;-)

GoodSyntax
07-30-2013, 09:54 AM
Nox is a skill you have to work with before you can be most effective with it.

I use Nox all the time (all upgrades) and find it most useful as the "fire-and-forget" skill. In elite maps, I use Nox when I have nearly killed a mob and instead of firing off another Aimed, I fire a Nox and let the poison do the killing so I can shift my focus to the next mob.

This tactic works wonderfully on normal maps where you can fire off a charged Nox and bypass an entire group and engage the next wave.

For pure elite build, I would recommend the following:

Attribute Points:
All DEX

Skill Points:
5/5 Dex Passive
5/5 Int Passive
4/5 Str Passive

5/5 Aimed Shot
5/5 Noxious Bolt
4/5 Shadow Veil (No explode upgrade)
2/5 Shadow Piercer (Add Shadow Absorption upgrade)

For gear, I use lv31 Bonechill Bow of Potency and lv31 Mountain Teeth of Tactics for weaponry. Noble Mask of Will (DEX), Noble Doublet of Will (DEX).

Rings, I generally use a lv30 Cobalt Band of Warfare (DEX, 3.1 DMG version) or lv31 Swirling Band of Will (for those OHKO bosses)

Amulet, I generally use a lv31 Swirling Amulet of Potency or Gleipnir (again, for those OHKO bosses).

Pets, I use the following rotation: Malison, Kettle, Wrathjaw, Loki (don't sleep on this guys +15% DMG bonus and +20 DEX arcane), Ribbit (good for season 1 & 2 bosses when you want the crit).

Generally, I use my bow and a Max DMG setup for elite runs to clear out mobs quickly. In my case, because I PvP a lot, I opted for Medic instead of Shadow veil, but I go with an Aimed Shot + Noxious Bolt + Shadow Piercer combo to deal massive damage. In your case, just drop a charged smoke prior to the first wave of attacks. Typically, I only charge Aimed prior to mob contact, otherwise, all skills are uncharged. This combo allows you to stack Crit impressively, to the point where most attacks will crit after the first or second skill rotation. With this build, and the selected gear, you should have 285-ish DMG, so critted aimed should hit for significant damage.

With the build I have (minus the Shadow Veil, because I use medic) I consistently solo elite forest at and just under 4 minutes. With smoke, you should be able to knock off 15-30 seconds, so you should be able to solo elite forest in 3:30 (give or take).

Word of warning - this build consumes A LOT of mana! Be prepared to buy mana pots in bulk!

At higher level elite maps, soloing is out of the question - you will need effective tanks to accompany you. This build will allow you to solo all season one maps (Brackenridge) and some of the season two maps (elite tower in particular is one of my favorites), but I would recommend an effective party for all elites other than elite forest and elite brackenridge (my two favorite solo spots).

If you want to accompany me on an elite dive, send me a shout out - IGN: Kalizzaa

Happy hunting :-)

Alrisaia
07-30-2013, 11:53 AM
If you want to accompany me on an elite dive, send me a shout out - IGN: Kalizzaa

I wouldn't mind running with you a bit Kalizza :) pm me IG anytime.

Enozz
07-30-2013, 06:49 PM
Ahh Syntax very nice. As I only know bosses up until the demon lord of tower I'm just ruining through the maps, learning bosses, mobs etc. after I get maxed I would love to run with you. The setup you explained makes a LOT of sense. I'm glad you explained it from your elite farming point of view. Will respec at 30 in order to accommodate running with you look for a pm. In game today or tomorrow xD

GoodSyntax
07-30-2013, 07:56 PM
Send me a friend invite - I will accept and do what I can to impart my limited knowledge.

After all, I stand on the shoulders of giants who taught this noob Rogue everything he knows.

IGN: Kalizzaa