PDA

View Full Version : Why say gay...

vvishy
07-30-2013, 11:35 PM
Hello fellow forumers today I would like to talk about the word gay and how it is being mispronounced in pl.

Let's get started

I see a lot of people in the game saying gay in the place of the word stupid/dumb/weird.

For example: let's say 2 birds are fighting and the whole fight one bird dodges everything and the other dodges nothing well then that persons says gay or how gay when they should see how weird or how stupid.

I wanted to talk about this because its hot only 12-22 year olds who play this game 5-11 year olds also play this game and they might not know what it is and go ask someone what it means then that person would ask where he/she heard it from and if they say Pocket Legends then that person might say don't play this anymore and give Pocket Legends a bad name.

Also there actually are gay pl players out there and I don't think they appreciate hearing that word .

Well it's just a thought on how to make our community nicer and maturer.

Dis is Vvishy saying see you in da game :D

TEOKILLO
07-30-2013, 11:36 PM
So many "gay" threads have popped up recently...

Roberto077
07-30-2013, 11:39 PM
I've only seen two.

Oldcoot
07-30-2013, 11:40 PM
http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q781/oldcootxx/null_zps8f36574c.png nuff said

Kixxler
07-30-2013, 11:43 PM
http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q781/oldcootxx/null_zps8f36574c.png nuff said

I cried :,)

KingFu
07-30-2013, 11:52 PM
Words take on new meanings. That word used to mean joyous and mirthful. The people that get offended are the ones that make the words themselves offensive.

Ebezaanec
07-31-2013, 12:05 AM
It is like the the word "noob." It used to mean someone who doesn't know much and is unwilling to learn.

Nowadays it is used as more of a rage insult in pvp.

Cavoc
07-31-2013, 12:12 AM
Lol. Trust me it didn't come from pocket legends.
I was saying it way before then.

Trenton
07-31-2013, 12:37 AM
I don't believe people should say it, but it has formed different meanings now >.> It went from happy/joyful to another word for homosexual, then to a word to describe something stupid, next you know it'll be a food. Tbh I could care less whether people say gay or not, because I'm doubting that they're making fun of homosexuals while pvping/saying that the dodge has feelings for the same sex. It does get old, yes- but I actually doubt half the people at low level are old enough to know what it means. ;)

vvishy
07-31-2013, 01:21 AM
Ik ik but just trying to better the community :D

ThePvpTwink
07-31-2013, 02:09 AM
Those pvpers these days can't stand to lose....they're more focused on winning than having fun with rivalry:/

NECROREAPER
07-31-2013, 02:18 AM
Good thread, shame it'll just be closed though :/

vvishy
07-31-2013, 02:41 AM
Good thread, shame it'll just be closed though :/

Thanks for the support :)

The Happiness
07-31-2013, 02:52 AM
Ok....you've rattled my cage.

Firstly children under 13 should not be playing this game without having permission/supervision. If a responsible adult is "allowing" a child to play, then they are basically saying they are happy with the content that that child is viewing. That includes, since it is an online environment, a million and one things that they have no control over.

Secondly, I personally do not see why children need to be shielded from the word gay. If it is being used as a derogatory term, or as harassment then it should be reported like any other word. But, gay as a word is just that. A word. How people choose to live their lives and with whom, is their own personal choice. There are millions of gay people the world over. Fact. By "shielding" children from this you are perpetuating intolerances.

So, rather than singling out the word gay, I would say, that everyone should just treat others respectfully at all times. No one should be harassed by name calling. Why say anything mean or unpleasant? As for children, it is ultimately the parent/adults responsibility to decide what they are comfortable with their child coming into contact with, not the PL community.

vvishy
07-31-2013, 03:13 AM
Ok....you've rattled my cage.

Firstly children under 13 should not be playing this game without having permission/supervision. If a responsible adult is "allowing" a child to play, then they are basically saying they are happy with the content that that child is viewing. That includes, since it is an online environment, a million and one things that they have no control over.

Secondly, I personally do not see why children need to be shielded from the word gay. If it is being used as a derogatory term, or as harassment then it should be reported like any other word. But, gay as a word is just that. A word. How people choose to live their lives and with whom, is their own personal choice. There are millions of gay people the world over. Fact. By "shielding" children from this you are perpetuating intolerances.

So, rather than singling out the word gay, I would say, that everyone should just treat others respectfully at all times. No one should be harassed by name calling. Why say anything mean or unpleasant? As for children, it is ultimately the parent/adults responsibility to decide what they are comfortable with their child coming into contact with, not the PL community.

Well firstly this game is 9 and up so childeren under 13 can play this game and secondly so people don't want there childeren exposed to those types of people.

Oldcoot
07-31-2013, 03:16 AM
Well said happy

Suntv
07-31-2013, 03:42 AM
...the word actually means "extravagant"...

Urqui
07-31-2013, 03:58 AM
I wanted to talk about this because its hot only 12-22 year olds who play this game

Stopped reading after this. I giggled and left.

The Happiness
07-31-2013, 04:06 AM
Well firstly this game is 9 and up so childeren under 13 can play this game and secondly so people don't want there childeren exposed to those types of people.

DO NOT GO THERE MY FRIEND!

What "types" of people are you talking about?

No child should be left unsupervised on any device /game that has direct uncensored access to the internet. End of.

dudetus
07-31-2013, 06:10 AM
Before I am even going to reply about the subject, I just wanted to say that this type pf discussion isn't proper to handle on game forums. Maybe IG with buds, but not here as the subject itself is viewed so many different ways based on people's believes and customs.

Imho, Happiness is right. There's no point shielding children by that word if it is meant in proper way. It doesn't matter if it is Adam and Eve or Adam and Steve, we should all be treated equally. People are different in many ways, even identical twins aren't the same and no one should be judged by something as ridicilous as sexual orientation.

Suentous PO
07-31-2013, 09:30 AM
I don't have to say a thing,
<3 Coot, Myst, Trenton, Happy, Ninja

Caiahar
07-31-2013, 09:36 AM
I don't have a thing to say....
When my little brother plays PL (which he thankfully doesn't play often), I'm always supervising, and making sure filter chat is on.

Cavoc
07-31-2013, 09:43 AM
It's straight dawgs don't sweat it.

Schnitzel
07-31-2013, 09:43 AM
Why can't people not take offense of words?

That word (and some Actual Vulgar words) are just words.
They have no power unless given power by someone using that word, or that someone is offended by that word.

Why can't we not look at those words and not take offense

bramer
07-31-2013, 10:57 AM

They have no power unless given power by someone using that word, or that someone is offended by that word.

Because we're human, and its natural for us to do stupid things like that :/

This is bramer - signing out

razerfingers
07-31-2013, 11:11 AM
Why was this thread even made? Its pointless..

Sent using blood on a bathroom wall

vvishy
07-31-2013, 11:12 AM
I just wanted to help the community anyway I close it

razerfingers
07-31-2013, 11:13 AM

Double post but go read the ToS the iTunes store or Google play store is their rating so if you're 9 they can close your account basically.

Sent using blood on a bathroom wall

Schnitzel
07-31-2013, 11:37 AM

Because we're human, and its natural for us to do stupid things like that :/

This is bramer - signing out
So if I don't take offense then I'm not human?

Entertaining
07-31-2013, 11:55 AM
how gay.

DocDoBig
07-31-2013, 12:12 PM
Stopped reading after this. I giggled and left.

Lmao! ;)

razerfingers
07-31-2013, 12:23 PM
Lul this thread still hawt

Sent using blood on a bathroom wall.

tHelonestud
07-31-2013, 04:37 PM
You agree to this everytime you play the game: you represent to SPACETIME that: (i) you are over thirteen (13) years of age
To answer your question: why say gay? I honestly believe a homosexual could tell the meaning from the context. If you can't tell what it means from the context you probably are not the 13 year old you claimed to be. Sure, there are other words to use. I happen to be lazy though and will use a shorter word when I can.

dudetus
07-31-2013, 05:03 PM
You agree to this everytime you play the game: you represent to SPACETIME that: (i) you are over thirteen (13) years of age
To answer your question: why say gay? I honestly believe a homosexual could tell the meaning from the context. If you can't tell what it means from the context you probably are not the 13 year old you claimed to be. Sure, there are other words to use. I happen to be lazy though and will use a shorter word when I can.

Indeed tls, shrtn s fn!

angeldawn
07-31-2013, 06:53 PM
I hate how ppl speak with such certainty and authority.

As many players have pointed out, the game itself is 13+ because of the rules in place for the games with online chat.

Parents should actually pay attention to what their kids are doing. If they don't want them exposed to certain things, home school them then please lock them in their bedroom with no TV, Books or electronics. Anywhere kids can have interactions with others you leave them open to be exposed to things. Its the parents job to teach them about worldly things and the proper way to deal with it.

Suentous PO
07-31-2013, 07:29 PM
Ahhh, sory one other thought:
Making anything taboo empowers it, it does not defuse it. Commonality makes anything less important.
In the 30s in America a woman's knees were even considered naughty because it "wasn't decient", how crazy that idea is now.

Oldcoot
07-31-2013, 08:34 PM
Ooooo- knees!

angeldawn
07-31-2013, 09:19 PM
Ooooo- knees!

I thought u had a foot thing? I have more shoe pics to post ;p

razerfingers
07-31-2013, 09:56 PM

I like shoes please do ;D

Sent using blood on a bathroom wall.

NotYoCookiez
07-31-2013, 09:59 PM
Music speaks louder then words.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQngzapK5dM

Oldcoot
07-31-2013, 10:08 PM
Ooooo- knees!

I'm attracted to all female parts

NotYoCookiez
07-31-2013, 10:16 PM

O.o

Part of a female is male so you like male xD

Gigiwren
07-31-2013, 10:16 PM
When someone calls others "gay" to mean stupid, it reveals to me more about the character of the person using the word, than about the actions of the other players being called that. Glad there is a mute button.

Noi`ya
07-31-2013, 10:18 PM
super
cali
swagilistic
sexy
hella
dopeness

Oldcoot
07-31-2013, 10:18 PM

O.o

Part of a female is male so you like male xD
NO!! No no no infinity no

vvishy
07-31-2013, 10:21 PM
Lol this conversation has spiraled

Neffy
07-31-2013, 10:39 PM
I've noticed and I was only on for 30 minutes earlier. It's a bit annoying. I said it too when I was 15 and young but now I realize its ignorant.

Waug
08-01-2013, 06:18 AM
why, cuz you made him angry in anyway, for example rushing, booting. so actually it doesn't mean what u get in dictionary. so by defination in pl dictionary ur gay= I'm raging

ty

vvishy
08-01-2013, 11:28 AM
Ik but they should be mature enough and not say gay.

Promagin
08-01-2013, 05:40 PM
That's gay= I r so mad bro

Cheenivie
08-01-2013, 08:07 PM
why, cuz you made him angry in anyway, for example rushing, booting. so actually it doesn't mean what u get in dictionary. so by defination in pl dictionary ur gay= I'm raging

ty

Yes, PL has kind of a different language:), and people need to realize that they do not use it in the way it means in real life