Gamelova
10-26-2010, 01:01 AM
Read Title.
Please do not do pics.
Show the numbers instead.
Skills and stats please.
Thanks.

Gamelova

Reason: A lot of people keep wanting nightmare and weakness.
I know its important but they say it more often than usual..

Inching
10-26-2010, 01:15 AM
200 into INT rest into DEX

Max out everything except freeze and zero into frostbite spell

With Full Cosmo (wand + eye and not staff)

My survivability is good.... not great but enough to support group with only one mage when farming all bosses.

Gamelova
10-26-2010, 01:22 AM
Lets do a lvl 45 one

Gamelova
10-26-2010, 01:23 AM
For a pure mage

Royce
10-26-2010, 01:50 AM
Either 142 Int, then Dex or full Int, depending on what you're going for. Skills:
5, 0, 5, 1
5, 2, 5, 5,
5, 1, 5, 5

Ellyidol
10-26-2010, 02:43 AM
Either 142 Int, then Dex or full Int, depending on what you're going for. Skills:
5, 0, 5, 1
5, 2, 5, 5,
5, 1, 5, 5

Hey Royce!

Since I'm new to being a mage quick questions on these skills:

1. Why the 2nd point on the AoE freeze skill? Any difference from 1? All I see is a +15 max damage increase, unless theres a hidden thing.

2. Does Drain Life really work well? I've heard a lot of things about it, one it doesnt even work, 2 doesn't do that high damage, 3 its better to pot? Is it a channeling skill or more like a DoT?

Thanks!

jonboy
10-26-2010, 03:00 AM
I've never seen drain life add to my health bar, has nice visual effects, I still believe there is a combo with drain life but I'm yet to discover it.
It's a single target spell and it seems to take a few secs to proc, like target, cast drain life, then count to 2 the it hits.

Unless Royce has changed his build the current skill breakdown is:

The Royce mentions last is the lvl 45 skill breakdown.

Inching
10-26-2010, 03:50 AM
Hey Royce!

1. Why the 2nd point on the AoE freeze skill? Any difference from 1? All I see is a +15 max damage increase, unless theres a hidden thing.

2. Does Drain Life really work well? I've heard a lot of things about it, one it doesnt even work, 2 doesn't do that high damage, 3 its better to pot? Is it a channeling skill or more like a DoT?

Thanks!

1) Freeze is used in the combo and it doesnt make a diff if its 1 or 5.. as long as u have it and use it first, then u execute the combo and damage is the same. Reason you dont put 1 in the other two skills (fire and lightening) is because you will use these skills as a stand alone outside of the combo.

2a) Yes drain life works and the way to use it is in 2 ways which is a) execute drain life when fighting a hard to kill bad guy when your other procs wear off like mana shield... ie mana shield up and ur fighting... mana shield goes down and u execute health drain and i) continue fighting ii) gives you time to run if you cannot take him. If you dont have this skill, as an example you are fighting keeper and agro is on you... then mana shield drops and I guarentee you that u cannot run and you will die. If you use my method, you will be able to escape.

2b) You are fighting a mini boss and not the main boss... because this wont work for main boss. The combo is health drain, weakness and then nightmear ... while having auto attack on. I guarentee you will most likely kill the mini boss depending on which one it is. This works on snipers in AO3.

Ellyidol
10-26-2010, 06:05 AM
1) Freeze is used in the combo and it doesnt make a diff if its 1 or 5.. as long as u have it and use it first, then u execute the combo and damage is the same. Reason you dont put 1 in the other two skills (fire and lightening) is because you will use these skills as a stand alone outside of the combo.

2a) Yes drain life works and the way to use it is in 2 ways which is a) execute drain life when fighting a hard to kill bad guy when your other procs wear off like mana shield... ie mana shield up and ur fighting... mana shield goes down and u execute health drain and i) continue fighting ii) gives you time to run if you cannot take him. If you dont have this skill, as an example you are fighting keeper and agro is on you... then mana shield drops and I guarentee you that u cannot run and you will die. If you use my method, you will be able to escape.

2b) You are fighting a mini boss and not the main boss... because this wont work for main boss. The combo is health drain, weakness and then nightmear ... while having auto attack on. I guarentee you will most likely kill the mini boss depending on which one it is. This works on snipers in AO3.

1. I know about the combo. I'm asking why the 2nd point into the skill.

2. So Drain Life is a DoT skill with a leeching effect then. How do I use it on keeper if I can't use it on main bosses? 0.0

KingFu
10-26-2010, 06:16 AM
Hey Royce!

Thanks!

1. I believe Ice Storm at level 1 has 0-30 damage, and level 2 is 0-40, the only other difference may be the cool down time.

2. Yes, Life drain is great! I am not too familiar with mages, since I never use mine, but Life drain is always great to have as a damage bringing, and as a saver. Inchings point of view is probably a lot more valued than mine, but I would always recommend having it.

EDIT:

Yes, Drain life is a leach life skill, it was bugged a while back so it didn't heal the user, and since I rarely use my mage I didn't realize it was fixed lol.

Royce
10-26-2010, 11:28 AM
Hey Royce!

Thanks!

1) The extra point in Icestorm is mainly for the slightly longer freeze time. It makes finishing the combo easier and is handy for a few other reasons as well.

2) Drain is decent if you mainly think of it as a single target damage skill. It is not an effective auxiliary heal. It's great in PvP and against bosses, not so important for PvE, but hey where else you gonna spend those points? Mana shield and Rez are not worth investing more than 1 SP in, and Drain is better than Frostbite.

Gamelova
10-26-2010, 11:46 AM
Yes! Finally made a useful thread lol.
Second of all Drain life does work, I just tested it.
Yeah Im not sure about the single freeze or the Ice-storm freeze they both seem ineffective in my opinion.
Only a little effective if needing to finish off real quick or to freeze em in place.

SlipperyJim
10-26-2010, 12:50 PM
Mana shield and Rez are not worth investing more than 1 SP in, and Drain is better than Frostbite.
If you put extra points into Mana Shield, don't you get some extra armour while it is active? That sounds like a reasonably good deal to me....

Royce
10-26-2010, 01:00 PM
If you put extra points into Mana Shield, don't you get some extra armour while it is active? That sounds like a reasonably good deal to me....

The problem is it's only 2 points of armor buff per SP, which is hardly anything really. I contemplated finally spending on it as I leveled 45 to 50 but ultimately decided in favor of Frostbite instead. I mean really 2 armor is so close to nothing. I think it's fine at level 50 to put some extra SP in MS if you want, but I still don't think it's worth it, and I certainly wouldn't spend there at 45.

shinhwakid
10-27-2010, 05:45 AM
The problem is it's only 2 points of armor buff per SP, which is hardly anything really. I contemplated finally spending on it as I leveled 45 to 50 but ultimately decided in favor of Frostbite instead. I mean really 2 armor is so close to nothing. I think it's fine at level 50 to put some extra SP in MS if you want, but I still don't think it's worth it, and I certainly wouldn't spend there at 45.

Mmm even though mana shield just add a bit of extra armor, but when it's activated, all damage on you take away your mana instead of your health. So I think MS is very useful when you are rushing straight to boss. So more SP into the skill means will take away lesser mana.

Royce
10-27-2010, 11:27 AM
Mmm even though mana shield just add a bit of extra armor, but when it's activated, all damage on you take away your mana instead of your health. So I think MS is very useful when you are rushing straight to boss. So more SP into the skill means will take away lesser mana.

You get 2 less points of damage per hit for each skill point. The armor buff goes from 4 at rank 1 to just 12 at rank 5, and mana shield lasts for 12 seconds out of a 1 min cooldown. IMO, you are far better off spending those 4 SP elsewhere.
The only way I would consider maxing it is for a pure support mage at level 50 when the only other option is ice skills. I would never spend more than 1 in MS before level 45.