View Full Version : iPad Issues.

Ellyidol
10-26-2010, 09:15 PM
Hey guys.

I just got my iPad today and was really excited to use it for PL. I was disappointed in how it can't carry dungeon fights. It lags so much that it makes it almost impossible to be able to play well.

Is this an iPad problem or a PL problem? Was also looking at the iPad/iPhone differences and is it because the iPhone has a retina display?

I've been playing on an iPhone so its a big difference. I have to play it on double pixel on the iPad now.

Hope to hear what you guys do! Thanks!

EDIT:

This is me on my iPad. VERY SORRY for the sideward video, I didn't realize it'd come out that way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhDmGKuqU_8

Notice how its smooth when we're just walking and such. Until all the spells come out my screen freezes and speeds up, this is the graphical lag I mean.

My settings were HQ off, double pixel off.

Chole
10-26-2010, 09:30 PM
Not an Ipad issue, it appears to be a server issue at moment, considering the other posts. I too have a brand new IPad, it was playing well all weekend and as of today, unplayable. See other threads in forum.

Justg
10-26-2010, 09:40 PM
I just logged in on an iPad and could not find any slowdowns. Where are you guys playing? What kind of internet connection do you have?

Inching
10-26-2010, 09:54 PM
I play on both ipad and iphone and the ipad performance is very lacking... I suspect its due to the ipad itself and not a PL problem...

ie in ipad when all hell breaks loose, everyone casting, mobs in the twenties.... my ipad studders on the graphics and lags but on the exact same connection my iphone is very smooth ... ????

Therefore I suspect its the ipad and not PL... could be the phone has more memory decidated to the retna display??? I really dont know but because of this I play on the iphone now....

PS and it DOES NOT HELP that the chat box is on the bottom of the screen in the ipad which SUCKS...

deathdealer
10-26-2010, 09:55 PM
I play on a iPad as well and haven't experienced any problems.

Orei
10-26-2010, 10:22 PM
Elly bro,

Try turning on double pixel on the ipad. It will smooth things out, of course at the expense of lower quality. But its still playable.
It turns out that the ipad hardware is not capable of framing the HQ effects of PL, like u said, when everyone start using their spells and skills.

Akashin
10-26-2010, 10:24 PM
I play on my iPad and for the most part I do not have issues. There are lag spikes but those are the exceptions.

Also, I don't like the fact that the virtual joystick is near the left top of the screen it would be more usable to be nearer the bottom.

Inching
10-26-2010, 10:26 PM
I play on my iPad and for the most part I do not have issues. There are lag spikes but those are the exceptions.

Also, I don't like the fact that the virtual joystick is near the left top of the screen it would be more usable to be nearer the bottom.

agreed .... and move the dame chat box up top so we dont miss messages.... (did I mention this before :))

Ellyidol
10-26-2010, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the prompt responses.

I play in Australia, get about 300-500 average ping. I don't really lag per se, but its more like a graphical issue too. Yeah its when everyone uses spells and abilities. In town and such is mostly fine. It sucks especially for me since I play a mage at times and I need to time combos/debuffs.

I don't get this at all in my iPhone. The most I get is a bit of a slower frame rate but thats just for when like 3+ mages do combos in a group, other than that it runs well.

Its just my iPad thats the problem. =/

Would it be possible to suggest to remove "Skill" effects for the iPad? I don't mind playing with no skill effects, the double pixel just makes it look bad, like im playing a 2D tetris game =/

Ellyidol
10-26-2010, 10:45 PM
Add: I played through a level of Plasma Pyramid with double pixel. It's not THAT bad, it just makes the game less attractive with having to run it in a double pixel. =/ Really enjoyed it on my phone since it looked so awesome and crisp. I don't know if its my internet connection since I use the same one for my phone and its fine. I really think its hardware/software?

Vyvin
10-26-2010, 11:00 PM
Stupid ipads was going to get one but I have hockey gear to buy...
Nyway turn of bluetooth and 3G (if possible)
/Vyvin

Ellyidol
10-27-2010, 01:00 AM
Stupid ipads was going to get one but I have hockey gear to buy...
Nyway turn of bluetooth and 3G (if possible)
/Vyvin

I don't think its a bluetooth/3g issue.

Any tips for those who play on an iPad? I find it more difficult to stay alive and such as the HP/mana bar is really small vs the iPad size (as compared to the iphone health/mana scale vs its screen size).

I suggest giving some stuff bigger icons in the iPad. Like the "Bag","World","Exit Arrow" section is really small in the iPad. As well as the Loadout buttons. Would have just assumed to be nice and big since its on a way bigger platform.

Cheah
10-27-2010, 01:36 AM
agreed .... and move the dame chat box up top so we dont miss messages.... (did I mention this before :))

Agreed with two hands and two legs up:)
Move the stupid chat box to the centre top and move the joystick back to left bottom!

Ellyidol
10-27-2010, 01:40 AM
Agreed with two hands and two legs up:)
Move the stupid chat box to the centre top and move the joystick back to left bottom!

That too. I can scroll messages better on my iPhone than on the iPad. Also please please, increase the size of the upper left portion of the screen. Your Health and mana bars are so small compared to the size of the screen. The iPhone ones are huge enough to know when your getting hit. :P

icantgetkills
10-27-2010, 01:43 AM
Ipad as well it's amazing woulnt go back 2 pod no lag either myn is 64g 3G wifi so idk

Ellyidol
10-27-2010, 01:47 AM
Ipad as well it's amazing woulnt go back 2 pod no lag either myn is 64g 3G wifi so idk

Even at no double pixel mode? =/ Idk why ours are graphically lagging then. Its not internet lag, its the sort of lag you get when your computer/device can't handle the graphics. (Like too much spells in one time).

Cheah
10-27-2010, 01:48 AM
Hey ell, I knew how u feel:)
I had exactly same encountered when I 1st get my iPad:)
After unboxed....1st thing to do is download PL immediately.
Same disappointed after test it few round.
And now I only play with my ip4:)

Ellyidol
10-27-2010, 01:51 AM

:(, one of the minor reasons why I got the iPad was to play PL with more fun and all. its still more fun in a way, but just not fully to my expectations.

Would be awesome devs if you can have a fix or such at all :)

setec
10-27-2010, 02:17 AM
I play on both an iPhone 4a and an iPad. I do not need to use the double pixel option on the iPad. The iPad plays it just fine. Yes, maybe once a month I get a short lag during a map or two but it runs just as smooth as on the iPhone 4.

Inching
10-27-2010, 02:23 AM

same same... so sad.... only use ipad to play when my phone is out of Bat and I dont have charger handy.. otherwise.. its only an email checker for my parents... so so sad

Ellyidol
10-27-2010, 02:37 AM
I play on both an iPhone 4a and an iPad. I do not need to use the double pixel option on the iPad. The iPad plays it just fine. Yes, maybe once a month I get a short lag during a map or two but it runs just as smooth as on the iPhone 4.

How is this possible? lol

I especially feel it when I do the mage combo, nightmare lightning ice fire. Its nowhere as smooth as the iphone 4 :(

This is what I'm trying to find out now too. Why some iPads run fine while some don't.

setec
10-27-2010, 02:38 AM
The iPhone 4 and the current iPad use the same A4 processor. The iPhone 4 has 512MB ram and the iPad has 256MB ram. But, at least for me, they run PL the same. PL looks gorgeous on the iPad and runs great.

Occasionally, I will have lag issues on the iPad but this also happens on the iPhone 4 as well.

Ellyidol
10-27-2010, 02:42 AM
The iPhone 4 and the current iPad use the same A4 processor. The iPhone 4 has 512MB ram and the iPad has 256MB ram. But, at least for me, they run PL the same. PL looks gorgeous on the iPad and runs great.

Occasionally, I will have lag issues on the iPad but this also happens on the iPhone 4 as well.

Yeah thats what I thought too. Which is why I was surprised why when I run it on the iPad it graphically lags. Internet lag is not an issue, same results. Its the graphical lag for some reason. I can spam my combo's no problem in the phone, in the iPad i get graphical lag spikes which lead to me not being able to pot, move, heal or such in time.

jonboy
10-27-2010, 02:46 AM
Sounds like what your describing is your frame rates per sec are dropping on graphically intensive periods of the game, or is it dropping frames, with one you see it all just slow or if skipping it will stutter.

Orei
10-27-2010, 02:55 AM
I am encountering the same problems as Elly as a enchantress user. On the ipad, i had failed many times in trying to pull off the "Hot flash" combo after a bear's beckon. My Ipad gets a graphic frame lag after my icestorm spell, causing a delay in triggering the firestorm. In the end, the bear who beckons does a stomp before my firestorm kicks in, giving the 'shatter' combo instead of 'hot flash'.

This doesnt happen when im using my iphone. Considering that on an ipad with a larger screen, there is more graphics to handle per second compared to an iphone 3 or 4. One will not encounter any such issue if u are just walking in town or playing solo. Its always with a big group and many enemies around.

Fyi my Ipad is a 32Gb 3G model. Not sure if a 64Gb model is affected.

Ellyidol
10-27-2010, 03:08 AM
Yes, it seems that my frame rate per second is really bad when those skills happen and such. Does the 16,32, and 64gb matter in speed? Isn't it only memory?

If someone can just confirm or explain the differences would be awesome. I tried to look for other settings outside PL to tweak but I can't find any.

icantgetkills
10-27-2010, 03:12 AM
Even at no double pixel mode? =/ Idk why ours are graphically lagging then. Its not internet lag, its the sort of lag you get when your computer/device can't handle the graphics. (Like too much spells in one time).

Whats wrong with everyones ipad lol myns perfect I'm from Australia so not a server issue and I play on high detail so it can't be :/. I'm not sure elly but I would of quit pl IMO if I wasn't playing on ipad I feel like its more enjoyable call me crazy of you want :) haha .

icantgetkills
10-27-2010, 03:13 AM
Is my iPad just legit then xD

Ellyidol
10-27-2010, 03:20 AM
I know right! I just got mine in Sydney today too, from australia as well. Connection is not a problem at all, no lag. I'll post a video soon on what I mean by my game play. I'll do a quick run in Plasma Pyramid and show you what I mean by lag.

Ellyidol
10-27-2010, 03:39 AM
Just posted video to first post. SORRY for the sideward video, didn't realise. Hope its clear enough.

jonboy
10-27-2010, 04:12 AM
Elly, just watched video, I see that happen often with my iPhone 3GS, so know what you mean, funny thing I was thinking of videoing the lag slowdowns I get as well

Ellyidol
10-27-2010, 04:15 AM
Elly, just watched video, I see that happen often with my iPhone 3GS, so know what you mean, funny thing I was thinking of videoing the lag slowdowns I get as well

Yeah I've tried PL on a 3GS too, graphics isn't really as good as a 4 I think mostly from the model difference. But here, it runs smoothly on my iphone 4 just not on the ipad. I'm pretty sure the "lag" I'm getting in the vid isn't normal right? I mean I get the small screen freeze when mages cast spells, but not to a point that it alters my gameplay.

jonboy
10-27-2010, 04:19 AM
No not normal, I suspect it's a combo of the lag from aus and the graphic intensive, like all the calls to the server hit the idevice at once causing an overload on the idevice gpu, pretty sure the gpu on the iPad isn't as good as the iPhone 4 and the same as the 3gs

Ellyidol
10-27-2010, 04:27 AM
No not normal, I suspect it's a combo of the lag from aus and the graphic intensive, like all the calls to the server hit the idevice at once causing an overload on the idevice gpu, pretty sure the gpu on the iPad isn't as good as the iPhone 4 and the same as the 3gs

Possible. The iPad just seems to say its more powerful all over it. lol someone did post though that it has the same processor, just the RAM differs.

jonboy
10-27-2010, 04:38 AM
Well the iPhone 4 has some serious gpu grunt for a mobile device to run that retina display so makes sense, maybe the gen2 of the iPad might have the grunt to deal with graphics and data.

Also that direction pad at the top is just freaky disturbing it's going to give me nightmares.

Ellyidol
10-27-2010, 04:44 AM
Well the iPhone 4 has some serious gpu grunt for a mobile device to run that retina display so makes sense, maybe the gen2 of the iPad might have the grunt to deal with graphics and data.

Also that direction pad at the top is just freaky disturbing it's going to give me nightmares.

True for the iPhone 4 bit. It'd suck so much if the iPad 2nd gen came out soon as I just got my brand new one -.-

jonboy
10-27-2010, 04:47 AM
Rumor has it feb/march 2011 for gen2 iPad though slightly possible Xmas release if you see a iPad killer device takeoff in sales.

Ellyidol
10-27-2010, 04:54 AM
Rumor has it feb/march 2011 for gen2 iPad though slightly possible Xmas release if you see a iPad killer device takeoff in sales.

Dang, not too far away. Meh should be fine. I'll wait for iPad 3 maybe.

Melange
10-27-2010, 06:48 AM
There is certainly framerate stuttering, revive green flare graphics cause it worst for me.
But I like the big screen better, I'm used to dealing with 2fps in big skill spam battles. Add 350ms Australian pings and it's no suprise most of my AO3 boss fights end with me and 3 others instantly dropping dead without seeing the boss even fire in our direction.

It's the spell "bling" which causes it.
If there was an option to change the animated skill "explosions" to just a basic flat image on the ground I would use it.

Ellyidol
10-27-2010, 06:53 AM
There is certainly framerate stuttering, revive green flare graphics cause it worst for me.
But I like the big screen better, I'm used to dealing with 2fps in big skill spam battles. Add 350ms Australian pings and it's no suprise most of my AO3 boss fights end with me and 3 others instantly dropping dead without seeing the boss even fire in our direction.

It's the spell "bling" which causes it.
If there was an option to change the animated skill "explosions" to just a basic flat image on the ground I would use it.

Agree. Though I think the 350ms is the lesser part, since on the phone its really fine. I do agree on the spell bling though, along with switching HQ off, spell effects should be too. Or at least the major effects should stay only, like for lightning just a simple bolt, fire just a simple fire blast, ice just a simple ice wave. Revive should just be simple too.

icantgetkills
10-27-2010, 07:01 AM
I saw a bit of lag I get that sometimes but IMO I just don't mind better then any iPod touch and iPhone IMO :)

Hope you sort out your problem

Ellyidol
10-27-2010, 07:04 AM
I saw a bit of lag I get that sometimes but IMO I just don't mind better then any iPod touch and iPhone IMO :)

Hope you sort out your problem

Thanks.

I'm planning to either get used to the double pixel set up, or try and get used to the lagging aspect :P

I love the ipad playing though. Big screen and such, especially the typing! Just kinda disappointed on how small some icons are for the iPad. lol

Health/mana bars, potions, the dropdown menu from upper right.

Skills are awesome though.

Melange
10-27-2010, 07:10 AM
Agree. Though I think the 350ms is the lesser part, since on the phone its really fine.

Perhaps, but why are some saying they don't get the slow frame rate like your movie and devs saying they don't get that (based close to servers?). perhaps higher pings cause more processor load as it tries to compensate by guessing positions or something, combines to cause worse frame rate? Don't know, but devs should believe that your movie is exactly how it is for many people.
I've never known any different, always been exactly like your movie for me on iPad, never spent more than 30 seconds looking at the game in iPhone. Actually only ever been in town on phone, decided it was too small and went back to iPad.

Forrest maps were fine, since no one had skill spamming ability at low levels. By frozen it was really bad, since everyone had skills to burn.

Ellyidol
10-27-2010, 07:13 AM
Perhaps, but why are some saying they don't get the slow frame rate like your movie and devs saying they don't get that (based close to servers?). perhaps higher pings cause more processor load as it tries to compensate by guessing positions or something, combines to cause worse frame rate? Don't know, but devs should believe that your movie is exactly how it is for many people.
I've never known any different, always been exactly like your movie for me on iPad, never spent more than 30 seconds looking at the game in iPhone. Actually only ever been in town on phone, decided it was too small and went back to iPad.

Forrest maps were fine, since no one had skill spamming ability at low levels. By frozen it was really bad, since everyone had skills to burn.

True true. I wouldn't really know as I'm not familiar with how ms works, just have a basic understanding.

Hopefully it is ms, and devs can see how players outside or far from their servers experience the lag, maybe they'd develop a lower detail skill patch? Hopefully.

I know what you mean, from moving back to an iPhone after using an iPad its just wow, its too small now. lol

Akashin
10-27-2010, 08:29 AM
I am starting to see lag regularly when I play AO3.

The lag wasn't as evident in AO2 or below but with the increased usage of combos and gathering of many mobs the lag is getting out of hand.

As someone else suggested, I would recommend an option be provided by the developers to turn off or reduce of the graphics of the AOE effects.

setec
10-27-2010, 08:32 AM
Also, on the iPad, you could try rebooting it before playing.

I am runnig the beta iOS on it and I always close all other apps before running it.

KingFu
10-27-2010, 08:33 AM

I am runnig the beta iOS on it and I always close all other apps before running it.

Didn't you quit because <place stupid reason here>?

Ellyidol
10-27-2010, 08:18 PM

Funny thing is, atm PL is my only app at the moment since it's free. Lol

Gamelova
10-27-2010, 09:04 PM
Wow. Im ashamed you accused The Apple iPad for your faults. Lol, let me start with this... ITS NOT THE IPAD THATS MAKES YOU LAGGY AND FIGHT HORRIBLY ON PL!
Its your internet connection. Mine is really good ;D. I only lag cause of other peoples lags which makes me lag.
* Other Peoples Connection does effect ur connection on the ping, in my case at least.. which makes u lag and bad gameplay

jonboy
10-27-2010, 09:10 PM
I can see it now, booted, you lag.

Orei
10-27-2010, 09:12 PM
I certainly hope the Devs are following this thread closely and consider our suggestions for an option to tune down spell/skill graphics while maintaining HQ. Double Pixel just isnt the way to go.. My brother just saw me playing PL on Ipad (with double pixel) and said "Man the graphics sux...". Then i showed him on iphone (without double pixel) and he said "Screen too small, cannot see clearly". A summary of the configuration as follows :

Iphone - With High Quality / No double pixel - Smooth Play
Ipad - With High Quality / No double pixel - Graphics Lag/Delay
Ipad - No High Quality / No double pixel - Graphics Lag/Delay
Ipad - With High Quality / With double pixel - Smooth Play

Ellyidol
10-27-2010, 09:29 PM
Wow. Im ashamed you accused The Apple iPad for your faults. Lol, let me start with this... ITS NOT THE IPAD THATS MAKES YOU LAGGY AND FIGHT HORRIBLY ON PL!
Its your internet connection. Mine is really good ;D. I only lag cause of other peoples lags which makes me lag.
* Other Peoples Connection does effect ur connection on the ping, in my case at least.. which makes u lag and bad gameplay

Lol man. Im not blaming iPad or PL at all. If you'd read properly and get over yourself I'm stating the problems I'm experiencing on my ipad. Other players get it too so its an issue worth looking at or such. And no, i don't think other players pings affect your own. That's what servers are for, and how do you even know its due to another persons ping?

If its our internet connection then fine, understandable, which is why i posted this thread to show what we (Asian or Oceania) players are experiencing. And maybe ask for more options to reduce effect details.

setec
10-27-2010, 11:35 PM
Funny thing is, atm PL is my only app at the moment since it's free. Lol

Well actually, on iOS 3.x, there is multitasking. The Apple apps such as iPod, Mail, Safari are running in the background. You can close all the Safari windows, stop iPod if playing, reboot. Mail will load because of the auto mail check but everything shouldn't load unless you tap the icons.

Ellyidol
10-28-2010, 12:32 AM
Well actually, on iOS 3.x, there is multitasking. The Apple apps such as iPod, Mail, Safari are running in the background. You can close all the Safari windows, stop iPod if playing, reboot. Mail will load because of the auto mail check but everything shouldn't load unless you tap the icons.

Idk if I read it right, but isn't the multitasking option still in OS 1.4+? Not sure either. Yeah i usually close any internet requiring apps.

Ellyidol
12-02-2010, 10:03 AM
Bump.

Read chat box saying we should keep reporting problems like these. So these problems still exist for me.

Gotten used to double pixel now, so game play is pretty much okay, but would be awesome if I could get at least no double pixel back.

relayer
12-02-2010, 01:52 PM
This is graphics lag, not network lag!! I see the same graphics lag when in a full group and everyone spamming skills. After playing on the iphone for some time and switching to the ipad I was pretty disappointed when seeing the graphics lag. It even lags during the animations like when dieing. IMO PL needs to optimize their graphics engine or allow us to tone down the gfx effects. Obviously it will be nice with apple puts a faster graphics processor in the newer ipads..but it is possible to do nice 3d graphics on the 1st gen. Check out Rage HD sometime..

Also, it would be great if we could customize the UI...move the joystick, chatbox, resizing, etc.