PDA

View Full Version : How does a Paladin Tank?

Ceren
08-05-2013, 03:30 PM
First post, and though I usually eschew discussions like this, and will never be a prolific poster, I found myself with some questions comparing the two tank classes and after using the search tool and spending about 30 minutes I didn't know where else to look to find the answers.

Mainly I'd love it if someone could sort of outline a Rhino's role and play-style at levels approaching endgame, and compare if possible to a Bear. I'm pretty sure I'm doing it wrong as a Rhino. When I started playing this about 10 days ago, I immediately gravitated to the Rhino. As I got into my 30's with the character, I have the gear recommended in Whisperwalk's guide, specced and statted 95% the same, and sure enough... I'm pretty much like beating on a brick. But as far as I can tell, its all for naught, as Summon is pretty much a worthless skill. I run into a room and hit taunt to gather mobs, and about 1 sec later an DPS class runs in, AoE's everything and the whole pack runs right by me... I feel pretty worthless.
When I play with a bear in the group, he uses Beckon+Stomp and it locks trash down long enough that he's actually contributing to the success of the party.

For bosses...I have limited success with spamming Summon while targeting the actual boss and immediately spamcasting DPS/tempest/Charge+Redemption/Summon to hold aggro, but still lose aggro quickly to a well geared Bird.

So I created a Bear and he's 15 now but I find myself preferring the buffs of the Rhino (Charge+Redemption is almost cheating!). I want to sort it all out so I don't get to 70+ and find out I'm at best a mediocre stand-in tank when a bear can't be found, and a low-DPS but durable healer/rezzer when a 'real tank' is present.

For the TL;DR crowd-
Are Bears the much preferred tank, or can a Rhino do it well too?
How do I get aggro and hold it better?
How do I help my party with trash mobs as a Rhino?
Are Bear and Rhino taunts the same? They both seem to suck right now. (Rhino@L35/Bear@L15)
Does Beckon pull bosses or 'mini bosses'?

Griffinfan
08-06-2013, 09:11 PM
Well I don't know as if a Rhino can tank as well as a Bear

For one Bear's Beckon is a much needed tool to tanking, and as a rhino I have found it extremely hard to tank without it in a party of a bunch of trigger happy birds/mages

I think Rhinos are more of a support class (similar to mage) then tank. If you are a STR rhino then you are right in between the support and tanking.

Rhinos take it a step further with the revive, I think that is super crucial when you can get it to be a 14m range (insane for ctf)

IMO I think STS needs to do some switch up with the rhino as it is way too underpowered atm

I would stick with a bear for now.

zappaxe
08-06-2013, 09:15 PM
I actually think rhino has a skill with taunt...

Griffinfan
08-07-2013, 09:26 PM
I actually think rhino has a skill with taunt...

Oops Meant Beckon

Gordon David Paille
01-24-2014, 05:34 AM
In my view the rhino has a taunt which makes him get aggro, bear on the other hand doesn't. If u think fer a bit, use taunt to get aggro while using revive to bring a teammate bak to life.

Vvild
01-24-2014, 07:59 AM
the rhino can tank much better than a bear imo. of course, crowd control is a different story.

while buffed, the rhino can outlast a series of attacks while dodging and barely any damage is done. if damaged, the rhino can just regain health with heal.

bears are great at tanking also, i agree. but i notice bears being damaged easier than rhinos, possibly because of the difference in tanking buffs and the +45 (or around that) level 9 heal the rhino has. the bear will always remain the superior crowd controller though, unless he's a scatter bear

Peanutbritle
01-25-2014, 08:43 PM
Paladin in the surperior tank because its heal is op and it has 2 armor buffs. at lv 9, i believe that stone skin gives 48 armor and the bird buff(very descriptive :D) gives 40 armor and 10 dodge

Argyros
01-25-2014, 08:54 PM
I'd say, its just how you use them. Summon can open chests, taunt can't. Summon is 12m range, taunt is what, 6-8? Its ideal to summon a large group of mobs, then target a mob across the map, charge, summon those mobs, run to middle. Summon is practically a suicide skill, lol it really hurts if your unelixired.

Hercules1990
02-02-2014, 12:33 PM
My rotation: Charge in, Taunt (6 skill points to increase the damage of your DoT), Gather, Rhino Might (6 for 70% chance stun), Tempest(6), Maybe a heal at middle or end, as heal generates aggro as well.

Nekza
02-02-2014, 05:32 PM
Go on the first line and pray

Sheugokin
02-02-2014, 06:26 PM
Dat Necro doe.

Sborighe
02-03-2014, 09:30 AM
My skill rotation for PvE:
Might , holy tempest, charge, redemption (damage heal me and with combo)
Vital, stone and brute on when ready and also guardian when boss attack.
Build:
i'm dex-str with high dps (lv 63 over 450 dps with dex weapons) but for strong boss i switch to 2hand (high damage) if in party with a healer.
Mana regen ALWAYS over +18 and i never need mana pots!
Negative side: low crit, no set
I don't like PvP ...

Janezap
02-09-2014, 12:30 PM
1.Charge
2.Cast Holy Tempest
3.Flee away to recover until Holy Tempest ready
4.Repeat

This is good maybe?

Argyros
02-09-2014, 12:40 PM
1.Charge
2.Cast Holy Tempest
3.Flee away to recover until Holy Tempest ready
4.Repeat

This is good maybe?

No. Charge, the might, then temptest, then summon, then redemption then heal n repeat.

Caiahar
02-10-2014, 09:26 PM
Summon, huddle mobs together when they're aggroed
Charge into the middle
Rhino might to stun
Holy tempest, To debuff (not great debuff though..) And for some dmg, and a chance of stun (yes it has a secret stun..)

yuxilor
02-18-2014, 03:27 AM
I hav a capped rhino and sav helps a lot, rhinos are always better tanks than bears because:
1 we have a heal that gives us way more health and regen then the bear
2 we have charge/redemption which fully heals us at every level in pve as long as we have the best gear
3 we do not hold aggro long so we do not die
4 we can revive the unlucky people who got the aggro and our revive can be spammed unlike mages'
5 we can have 3 defence buffs vs 1 on the bear, we have more armor
6 we buff our teammates unlike mages

Caiahar
02-18-2014, 09:31 AM
I hav a capped rhino and sav helps a lot, rhinos are always better tanks than bears because:
1 we have a heal that gives us way more health and regen then the bear
2 we have charge/redemption which fully heals us at every level in pve as long as we have the best gear
3 we do not hold aggro long so we do not die
4 we can revive the unlucky people who got the aggro and our revive can be spammed unlike mages'
5 we can have 3 defence buffs vs 1 on the bear, we have more armor
6 we buff our teammates unlike mages

Yes, they may be good at tanking, but very bad at crowd control, which bears are better at. Since rhino has the worst debuffs ever, it can't do it properly, however, the bear can beckon, he'll scream, and stomp against a wall, so team can attack easily.
And it's also good to keep on using summon SO YOU HOLD THE AGGRO. If you let the aggro go on a bird or int Mage, they'll most likely die, so keep summon on.

All for one, and one for all.

Nekza
02-18-2014, 10:47 AM
Summon is insanely efective.

Before i capped i used to use it in Lost Valley to pull mobs and people just couln't stop clappin (that last part was irony, but you know what i mean..) :cool:

exfirebear
02-19-2014, 04:24 AM
Can anyone give me a good L72 rhino skill build?

aw205
03-01-2014, 06:05 PM
How to tank for a rhino: Get aggro

Revive teamates

Spam health potions.

Sheugokin
03-01-2014, 09:40 PM
U tank with much care.