PDA

View Full Version : Tank Bear Help!

Stevenmc
08-07-2013, 03:19 PM
So I've started a new bear to hopefully be a tank in pve! http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/08/emaqa4uq.jpg
I have my stats set as pure str for now! http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/08/5evygyqe.jpg
And I have my skills set like this! http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/08/umyse6yg.jpg
So, for a purely tank bear, who can pull enemies am I doing it right? And what combo should I use when I enter a room full of mobs? I want to be able to pull them into a corner, then let my team destroy them! Also does beckon and how well it pulls get better as you upgrade it? Thanks all :) any tips welcome!

Oldcoot
08-07-2013, 03:24 PM
Calling crim he's the tank master

Blastyou
08-07-2013, 03:32 PM
You're gonna need some dex in there. I know str makes you tankier, but without higher hit % you aren't going to be effective at crowd control. As far as skills go, I would take some out of cb and the slashes (all single-target attacks) and increase beckon (to 5), scream, taunt, and stomp when you have the points available.

Stevenmc
08-07-2013, 03:34 PM
You're gonna need some dex in there. I know str makes you tankier, but without higher hit % you aren't going to be effective at crowd control. As far as skills go, I would take some out of cb and the slashes (all single-target attacks) and increase beckon (to 5), scream, taunt, and stomp when you have the points available.

May I ask what cb is? And how much dex you think? A ratio perhaps? Thankyou though :)

Reunegade
08-07-2013, 03:36 PM
May I ask what cb is? And how much dex you think? A ratio perhaps? Thankyou though :)
crushing blow. And enough strength to use strength gear and then dump the rest into dexterity.

Noodleleg
08-07-2013, 05:14 PM
Spam heal me and when you die, complain and ask for rev.

nun
08-07-2013, 05:45 PM
max INT an u will b pro :)

Fusionstrike
08-07-2013, 11:34 PM
Here's what I would do to maximize tank ability. I agree with the earlier suggestion of enough str for gear and rest in dex. You'll be able to use Dex sets too as a result, although for tanking purposes you'll be in str gear most of the time.

As for skills, here's what I've found useful. Beckon to at least 6 to max the range because you want to be able to pull from the other side of the world if need be. You also want to invest heavily in iron blood, evade, and taunt, all of which will help you stay alive and tanking. Hellscream is a must-boost due to the nice stun. I'd dump the points in regen completely and place them elsewhere. I'd also skip out on the slashes until these other skills are under control. Once they are, I'd boost stomp, then crushing blow, then lastly work on slashes in whatever pattern makes you happy.

As for technique entering a room, here's what I use. First get far enough into room so that taunt can reach most of them and hit it. Then run for the wall, beckon, step back and stomp to pin per usual bear strategy. Then unload whatever damage you want for a second or two. If they're still alive then they're probably coming off stun, so hellscream them to stun again. By now you should be able to move on to next group. If not, you're either with a weak/lame party or in way over your head level wise.

This will make you a good tank bear and by later levels you'll have access to much better gear and more points in damage skills such that you'll even start hitting respectably as well.

Stevenmc
08-07-2013, 11:36 PM
Here's what I would do to maximize tank ability. I agree with the earlier suggestion of enough str for gear and rest in dex. You'll be able to use Dex sets too as a result, although for tanking purposes you'll be in str gear most of the time.

As for skills, here's what I've found useful. Beckon to at least 6 to max the range because you want to be able to pull from the other side of the world if need be. You also want to invest heavily in iron blood, evade, and taunt, all of which will help you stay alive and tanking. Hellscream is a must-boost due to the nice stun. I'd dump the points in regen completely and place them elsewhere. I'd also skip out on the slashes until these other skills are under control. Once they are, I'd boost stomp, then crushing blow, then lastly work on slashes in whatever pattern makes you happy.

As for technique entering a room, here's what I use. First get far enough into room so that taunt can reach most of them and hit it. Then run for the wall, beckon, step back and stomp to pin per usual bear strategy. Then unload whatever damage you want for a second or two. If they're still alive then they're probably coming off stun, so hellscream them to stun again. By now you should be able to move on to next group. If not, you're either with a weak/lame party or in way over your head level wise.

This will make you a good tank bear and by later levels you'll have access to much better gear and more points in damage skills such that you'll even start hitting respectably as well.

I didn't realize hellscream stunned! So I never used it! I will now! Thanks!

Anonymouse
08-08-2013, 09:50 AM
So I've started a new bear to hopefully be a tank in pve! http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/08/emaqa4uq.jpg
I have my stats set as pure str for now! http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/08/5evygyqe.jpg
And I have my skills set like this! http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/08/umyse6yg.jpg
So, for a purely tank bear, who can pull enemies am I doing it right? And what combo should I use when I enter a room full of mobs? I want to be able to pull them into a corner, then let my team destroy them! Also does beckon and how well it pulls get better as you upgrade it? Thanks all :) any tips welcome!

I recommend the lvl 20 bear plat pack. Gives at least 60armor by itself and you get a decent sword that has decent damage range.

NECROREAPER
08-09-2013, 02:33 AM

Basically what Fusion said, however I have a few techniques that I've developed to fit my playing style.

Tanking effectively can vary a lot per person, build, gear, map, mob, party mechanics, etc. Most often, if there's a wall you'll wanna pull towards it, but if not pull the mobs as close together as you can. Also, instead of this:

First get far enough into room so that taunt can reach most of them and hit it. Then run for the wall, beckon, step back and stomp to pin per usual bear strategy.

I run into the room to taunt as Fusion said, however instead of running to the wall then beckoning when I hit it then stepping back, what I typically do is beckon as I'm running into the wall and then stomping as the enemy is right about to hit the wall. By doing this it save seconds which add up when running on elixirs.

Another tip is instead of this:

First get far enough into room so that taunt can reach most of them and hit it.

Sometimes, completely depending on the map and the enemy, I'll Hell Scream upon entering the room to stun then I'll taunt. The purpose of Hell Screaming first is to make sure that I don't get stalled up in the room trying to taunt and beckon towards walls. Often in maps in Nuri's and Fang the enemy will stun/freeze you as you enter the room, or as many of you know when you get hit while running you pause for a fraction of a second, by Hell Screaming you stun the enemy, allowing you to freely enter the room to tank and spank.

One last thing to mention is to remember to keep moving, the second worst thing you can do as a tank is fall behind, the first is not knowing how to beckon/stomp. Always stay ahead of the party, never get caught up killing individual enemies (that's what Birds and Mages are for), and make sure your team stays alive.

Hope this helps some.

Oldcoot
08-09-2013, 02:56 AM
I'm disappointed crim didn't chime in, but still impressed by the other pros that did.

Stevenmc
08-09-2013, 08:48 AM
Basically what Fusion said, however I have a few techniques that I've developed to fit my playing style.

Tanking effectively can vary a lot per person, build, gear, map, mob, party mechanics, etc. Most often, if there's a wall you'll wanna pull towards it, but if not pull the mobs as close together as you can. Also, instead of this:

I run into the room to taunt as Fusion said, however instead of running to the wall then beckoning when I hit it then stepping back, what I typically do is beckon as I'm running into the wall and then stomping as the enemy is right about to hit the wall. By doing this it save seconds which add up when running on elixirs.

Another tip is instead of this:

Sometimes, completely depending on the map and the enemy, I'll Hell Scream upon entering the room to stun then I'll taunt. The purpose of Hell Screaming first is to make sure that I don't get stalled up in the room trying to taunt and beckon towards walls. Often in maps in Nuri's and Fang the enemy will stun/freeze you as you enter the room, or as many of you know when you get hit while running you pause for a fraction of a second, by Hell Screaming you stun the enemy, allowing you to freely enter the room to tank and spank.

One last thing to mention is to remember to keep moving, the second worst thing you can do as a tank is fall behind, the first is not knowing how to beckon/stomp. Always stay ahead of the party, never get caught up killing individual enemies (that's what Birds and Mages are for), and make sure your team stays alive.

Hope this helps some.

Wow! Thanks!

NECROREAPER
08-11-2013, 12:29 AM
Wow! Thanks!

No worries, lemme know if theres anything else you have questions on!

KingFu
08-11-2013, 12:31 AM
Dat' Founder helm...doesn't fit

NECROREAPER
08-11-2013, 01:04 AM
Dat' Founder helm...doesn't fit

Everyone has one nowadays -__-

KingFu
08-11-2013, 01:07 AM
Everyone has one nowadays -__-

He allegedly didn't buy it though...

NECROREAPER
08-11-2013, 05:02 AM

I donʻt have one, if thats any measure of who should have one, haha. I made my account on 6.26.2010, missed founders by two weeks, iʻm happy with my pumpkin though.

Revealing
08-11-2013, 11:28 AM
Spam heal me and when you die, complain and ask for rev.

So pro

Stevenmc
08-11-2013, 04:11 PM

No I didn't buy it -_-. Just because I have one doesnt mean I bought it. My birthday is April 12th, and I got my first iPod touch on that day in 2010. My brother was playing this game under the name Mokill as a mage. He got me started on the game. Any other questions or rude false accusations?

KingFu
08-11-2013, 04:40 PM
No I didn't buy it -_-. Just because I have one doesnt mean I bought it. My birthday is April 12th, and I got my first iPod touch on that day in 2010. My brother was playing this game under the name Mokill as a mage. He got me started on the game. Any other questions or rude false accusations?

Never accused you buddy, I said you allegedly didn't buy it, which was working in your defense.

L2read

Actona679
08-11-2013, 05:08 PM
Sorry. I deleted my post. I'll repost somewhere more relevant later. Didn't mean to hijack thread. Good luck with your bear!

CrimsonTider
08-11-2013, 05:50 PM
@Coot - Sorry to disappoint. Had a death in the family and haven't been active lately.

@Steven - Follow what Necro said. He is one of the few tanks left who does it the correct way: With a 2h sword. I don't have much to add until you get into higher levels. I would, however, be pure dex until you have around 120-130 dex points, then begin placing points into strength. The reason for this is low end dex gear is far superior to traditional strength gear (with exception to Copperhead).

I will be more than happy to put my two cents worth in as you have more questions. Also, hasn't been mentioned, but based on your needs, the two best (IMO) faces are Mecha and Koala. Mecha will give you 2 hit% and Koala boosts dodge.

I will tag this thread so I can keep up with it as you get further along.

Oldcoot
08-11-2013, 06:43 PM
@crim, sorry for your loss an I knew there had to be a good reason. I bow to your bear mastery

Stevenmc
08-11-2013, 10:14 PM
@Steven - Follow what Necro said. He is one of the few tanks left who does it the correct way: With a 2h sword. I don't have much to add until you get into higher levels. I would, however, be pure dex until you have around 120-130 dex points, then begin placing points into strength. The reason for this is low end dex gear is far superior to traditional strength gear (with exception to Copperhead).

I will be more than happy to put my two cents worth in as you have more questions. Also, hasn't been mentioned, but based on your needs, the two best (IMO) faces are Mecha and Koala. Mecha will give you 2 hit% and Koala boosts dodge. I have reached level 51, and are pure dex ATM. I have begun dying alot more now though. Didnt have 10 deaths at level 40, and now I am up to 40+. Should I hit the str gear?

Extreme
08-11-2013, 11:48 PM
I have reached level 51, and are pure dex ATM. I have begun dying alot more now though. Didnt have 10 deaths at level 40, and now I am up to 40+. Should I hit the str gear?

Yes, In sewers just use dropped Gears... Start putting ur points on Str. Watch out for barrels, Happy lvling.

NECROREAPER
08-12-2013, 01:09 AM
@Coot - Sorry to disappoint. Had a death in the family and haven't been active lately.

I will be more than happy to put my two cents worth in as you have more questions. Also, hasn't been mentioned, but based on your needs, the two best (IMO) faces are Mecha and Koala. Mecha will give you 2 hit% and Koala boosts dodge.

I will tag this thread so I can keep up with it as you get further along.

Thanks Crim, means a lot

CrimsonTider
08-12-2013, 07:06 AM
I have reached level 51, and are pure dex ATM. I have begun dying alot more now though. Didnt have 10 deaths at level 40, and now I am up to 40+. Should I hit the str gear?

At 51, you need to have just enough strength points to allow for strength gear to be equipped and the rest goes into dex. If you are equipping Thrasher's and dailies, having complete "sets" are not of necessity. As Extreme said, just use the drops you get until you reach the level you are going after. Also, make sure your tanking procedures are up to par: Mobs pulled into the wall, stomp into the same wall, use of taunt and hellscream, and so on. For those who are creating bears for the first time, especially when they are power leveled, do not get the grasp of how it is done. It is one thing to read tips and hints on forums, another to perform when 10-15 mob are slamming you with attacks and debuffs.

Thanks Crim, means a lot

Anytime, bro. Much respect thrown your way.

Stevenmc
08-14-2013, 12:18 PM
@crim So I got a 3X blessing yesterday, and grinded from 51-68, and now I can go to lost valley! :) when I was leveling my mage to 76 one of the hardest parts about lost was waiting for somebody to be able to tank, and I even went str mage just so I could pull. I respect my stats, http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/15/4y4arymy.jpg I plan on using the 66 str angel gear, so what should I put my stats at? I will be using this gear from 68-76 as I did with my mage!

CrimsonTider
08-14-2013, 12:28 PM
Since you are 68, I would look into how many strength points it takes to equip 71 Beastly, use that many strength points and put the rest into dex. Then, you won't have to worry about placing points into strength til you get closer to 75.

Also, what is your skill point allocation? Will you be playing bear strictly for PvE or use it for PvP as well?

Stevenmc
08-14-2013, 12:32 PM
Since you are 68, I would look into how many strength points it takes to equip 71 Beastly, use that many strength points and put the rest into dex. Then, you won't have to worry about placing points into strength til you get closer to 75.

Also, what is your skill point allocation? Will you be playing bear strictly for PvE or use it for PvP as well?

I kinda have been adding skills randomly... http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/15/evyhu4e7.jpg
And this will be a pve tank bear, I plan on keeping it that way until I grind 5+ mil, then maybe pvp.

Blastyou
08-14-2013, 02:32 PM
I kinda have been adding skills randomly... http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/15/evyhu4e7.jpg
And this will be a pve tank bear, I plan on keeping it that way until I grind 5+ mil, then maybe pvp.

You're gonna want max rage, taunt, evade, and iron blood (by the time you hit 76), with priority on taunt and rage.

I would decrease the points in slashes and maybe bring beckon down to 6. I also only use 1 heal, but that's a personal choice and I know some people like having it higher.

Reunegade
08-14-2013, 03:00 PM
If you are planning to ONLY doing lost valley grinding and using the 'go around the map and pull enemies' method, I suggest lower stomp and lower slashes (except super mega slash), you should max out your buffs and maybe hell scream.

CrimsonTider
08-14-2013, 05:01 PM

I usually don't tell people to respec, but you need to. ;)

As a PvE bear, you will have mages (hopefully) and pots to heal you. Do not worry about wasting a point on heal. You need to max Beckon, Stomp, and all of your buffs/debuffs. Only place 1 point into your slashes. Since they are only single target attacks, and bosses can no longer be controlled, 1 point each is all you need.

Obviously, at 68, you cannot max them all right now, but maxing buffs, debuffs, and beckon is a necessity. And when using elixirs, Angel set will more than suffice until you hit 75.

Mage till the end
08-14-2013, 07:36 PM
How long it take to go from 22-68? I'm making one right now. Care to share the way you lvl?

Stevenmc
08-14-2013, 08:48 PM
How long it take to go from 22-68? I'm making one right now. Care to share the way you lvl?

It took me about a 3 days playing with only 1.5X to hit 50, then got a 3X daily and I grinded it from 50-70.

Mage till the end
08-14-2013, 09:25 PM
It took me about a 3 days playing with only 1.5X to hit 50, then got a 3X daily and I grinded it from 50-70.

I don't mean to pester you to much but what maps did you play/avoid.

Many thanks.