PDA

View Full Version : Improvement Request: Aspen

Taejo
08-08-2013, 03:49 PM
In the grand scheme of things, it's difficult for me to rationalize the Devs taking the time to look into a pet as old as Aspen. However, this is a highly overlooked pet that measures up quite well when compared to the other non-legendary, mythic and arcane pets. This guy is extremely useful in all three categories for a sorcerer: stats, passive, and arcane ability. He is the only epic-quality pet that has +10% crit. The other pets with +10% are: Horton (Rogue stats pet), McCraw (crates only), Glacian and Samael. Right under these are Meep-Moop (Rogue stats pet) with +8%, Clyde with +7% (plat exclusive) and Ribbit with +7% crit.

Getting to the point: As it's written, Aspen's arcane ability is very powerful. No matter what the level cap is in the game, +15% dmg for the entire party is extremely useful. The problem, however, lies with the range and buff duration. I use this pet all the time with my sorcerer, but as we all know the majority of sorcerer skills require charging. Because of this, 4 seconds is not long enough to completely charge, fire, and charge again (assuming I want to shoot off 2 skills within the 4 seconds). Also, the range is terrible for a party buff. It doesn't the master while running forward with Aspen behind you (typical pet-following range scenario).

My suggestion is to increase the duration of the buff to 5 seconds, and increase the range to that of Koko's (the last pet you fixed the range of prior to Misty). I know there won't be a crowd of people supporting this, but I hope you can find time to investigate and maybe consider this suggestion/feedback. Thanks for reading.

EDIT 1: The theme of my request is using Aspen as a sorcerer pet.
EDIT 2: Corrected information on Horton.
EDIT 3: Added in-game screen shot of Aspen's range issue.

FluffNStuff
08-08-2013, 03:55 PM
In the grand scheme of things, it's difficult for me to rationalize the Devs taking the time to look into a pet as old as Aspen. However, this a highly overlooked pet that measures up quite well when compared to the other non-legendary, mythic and arcane pets. This guy is extremely useful in all three categories: stats, passive, and arcane ability. He is one of only 2 epic-quality pets that have +10% crit (the other is Horton with primarily Rogue stats). The other pets with +10% are: McCraw (crates only), Glacian and Samael. Right under these are Meep-Moop with +8%, Clyde with +7% (plat exclusive) and Ribbit with +7% crit.

Getting to the point: As it's written, Aspen's arcane ability is very powerful. No matter what the level cap is in the game, +15% dmg for the entire party is extremely useful. The problem, however, lies with the range and buff duration. I use this pet all the time with my sorcerer, but as we all know the majority of sorcerer skills require charging. Because of this, 4 seconds is not long enough to completely charge, fire, and charge again (assuming I want to shoot off 2 skills within the 4 seconds). Also, the range is terrible for a party buff. It doesn't the master while running forward with Aspen behind you (typical pet-following range scenario).

My suggestion is to increase the duration of the buff to 5 seconds, and increase the range to that of Koko's (the last pet you fixed the range of prior to Misty). I know there won't be a crowd of people supporting this, but I hope you can find time to investigate and maybe consider this suggestion/feedback. Thanks for reading.

Are you aware of what I call the ribbit effect? It is extremely important in determining damage because the ribbit effect proves that damage is calculated at the time of the hit and not at the time of the attack. It is easily seen with ribbit because you can hold down charge, release it, THEN tap his arcane and still get the +40 crit effect. Try it with Aspen, should be able to charge, release, use arcane, then charge again.

Taejo
08-08-2013, 04:02 PM
Are you aware of what I call the ribbit effect? It is extremely important in determining damage because the ribbit effect proves that damage is calculated at the time of the hit and not at the time of the attack. It is easily seen with ribbit because you can hold down charge, release it, THEN tap his arcane and still get the +40 crit effect. Try it with Aspen, should be able to charge, release, use arcane, then charge again.

Hi Fluff. Yes, I also use this tactic. But when other people are using Aspen in a group, and the buff goes off, I can never get 2 charged spells off. Same thing for my group members when I punch the ability to buff them. I think a 5-6 second increase would help with this but also not make this buff overpowered.

Thanks for the feedback!

Venom
08-08-2013, 05:51 PM
He is one of only 2 epic-quality pets that have +10% crit (the other is Horton with primarily Rogue stats).

Horton is Legendary. Aspen is great for mage.

And yes, Deers, Goats, Owls and Turtles need increased range..

Taejo
08-08-2013, 06:12 PM
Horton is Legendary. Aspen is great for mage.

And yes, Deers, Goats, Owls and Turtles need increased range..

Ah, yes you're right. Horton is legendary. I thought he was epic because you get him from Klaas. Thanks for the correction and feedback!

IronMonkey
08-09-2013, 10:08 AM
I support you, I use Aspen on my twink mage.

Taejo
08-10-2013, 02:21 PM

Added a screenshot. Unlike Ribbit who's range is huge, Aspen's arcane ability doesn't reach me when trying to use the "Ribbit effect" on the move. Even more difficult when Aspen is in a group of mobs attacking and I'm out of range because of using a safe distance.