PDA

View Full Version : Plat Cost Discussion

Gavry
10-27-2010, 11:09 PM
As version 1.5 is about to come out, and Justg has revealed that Auction slots are going to cost 10 plat each, I though it may be worth talking about how much stuff really costs.

I'm using Australian prices, as that's where I live.

Lets get down to the numbers.

To purchase 75 plat costs $12.99.
That equates to $0.17 per plat.

The recently launched Alien Oasis 3 map cost us 20 plat each, so that's $3.46.

Lets assume there are currently 2,000 active players in the game, I think this is actually a little high. If everyone were to purchase that map set, it would result in $6,920 of revenue.

Now, as its an iTunes purchase Apple get their 30% off the top, $2,076, leaving $4,844 for Spacetime.

Here in Australia we pay an IT developer about $100,000 per annum. That equates to around $48 per hour. If just one developer were to work on Alien Oasis 3 at that rate he would have to complete the job in under 101 hours (2.5 standard working weeks) to cover just his wages. Obviously this wouldn't include office space, electricity, etc.

I hope this helps people to understand the actual revenue this game is currently producing and consequently, stop the posts about how we are all being ripped off each time a new update is released, and how much money Spacetime is rolling in.

On the flip side, I don't want this to act as an influence on Spacetime to increase prices either. The obvious solution for Spacetime to increase revenue, is to increase its user base. Move from 2,000 to 200,000 active users and the revenue from a new map pack that sells for 20 plat goes from $4,844 to $484,400. Now that's a good profit.

It is a real fine line between keeping the current user base and trying to maximise profits. If we all try and understand both sides I'm sure everyone will be as happy as possible.

TwinkTastical
10-27-2010, 11:10 PM
Where the hell did u get 10 plat each... it was like 10 for 5 or somthing..

Gavry
10-27-2010, 11:11 PM
Where the hell did u get 10 plat each... it was like 10 for 5 or somthing..

From the discussion under Development:

Hey folks, a quick head's up on pricing and slots. After a lot of internal discussion, we are going to give everyone one slot. Additional slots can be purchased for 10 plat a piece.

And we are buffing out the fort there to contain a stash as well.

Royce
10-27-2010, 11:13 PM
I've always just calculated based on the cost of my platinum, which is like 10 to 12 cents per plat. Some things are bargains, like AO3 for 30 plat (3 bucks), while some things, like renames for 50 plat (5 bucks) or upcoming consignment slots for 10 plat (a buck) each are a bit overpriced IMO. In general, I find most plat purchases to be fair or cheap, with the overpriced ones the exceptions, but I don't really care. They set the prices, I pay them if I want to ;)

Ellyidol
10-27-2010, 11:13 PM
"obvious solution for Spacetime to increase revenue, is to increase its user base."

I'd love that heaps. :)

Demonicdevyn
10-27-2010, 11:15 PM
ikr.......................lol

setec
10-27-2010, 11:15 PM
Just a minor correction, Apple does not get 20 percent, they get 30 percent.

Gavry
10-27-2010, 11:21 PM
Thanks, updated my numbers with 30% for the Apple cut.

jonboy
10-27-2010, 11:31 PM
Yes, but they also get to showcase PL as an example of the STS engine, to companies that would want to license the engine,(that's why they received that venture capital investment recently) if we get a discount off plat for buying auction slots in blocks of 5 then that is helpful.

Gavry
10-28-2010, 12:00 AM
Yes, but they also get to showcase PL as an example of the STS engine, to companies that would want to license the engine,(that's why they received that venture capital investment recently) if we get a discount off plat for buying auction slots in blocks of 5 then that is helpful.

I fully agree. The game is worth much more than what they get from us players in Plat purchases. I think Spacetime should take that into account when setting prices. Just for the record, I think 10 plat per auction slot is too much as well. 3-5 plat each is about right in my opinion.