PDA

View Full Version : Am i the only one that thinks the stat points are messed up in PL?

nick115
11-01-2010, 06:53 AM
Well, I'm confused why dex is the only stat point the will increase dps...
Shouldn't Int raise a mage's damage not just their spell damage?
Shouldn't Str raise a warrior's damage not just their skill damage?

I mean each class should have their own stat that raises their damage not just dex for all... dex should add acc, dodge, and crit for all but it shouldnt be the only stat that makes us hit harder.

your thoughts?

Ellyidol
11-01-2010, 07:02 AM
I think they do increase damage, but not as fast as dex which makes it seem like dex is the only way to go. What I've learnt from Royce saying countless times is the fact that all the m/s, h/s, armor, and other stats we get, are from gear. So most people would rather just get the gear than invest in the stat points. Unless I'm mistaken.

j46g629h
11-01-2010, 08:16 AM
str does increase base damage but int

my opinion attribute point is biggest bug that dev have been overlooking

that's why getting a top end gear is more important than how you distribute attribute point

so farm game starts

Royce
11-01-2010, 09:50 AM
Yup, this is my second biggest issue with the game. I started a thread about it here: http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?5515-Fixing-the-Attribute-Imbalance-How-to-make-Int-and-Str-worthwhile-investments-D
Stat-driven skills has improved the imbalance slightly, but it will not be balanced until they increase the rate at which Str and Int provide regen at least, and probably make some other tweaks as well.

Protank
11-01-2010, 10:37 AM
Well i guess i need to look again but i remember seeing my dmg & dps go up while adding the 16int u need on bear for 1m/s. Im almost sure of it. Idr seeing it go up after 16 tho on my twink intbear but only lvl 19 and my int only goes up so far cuz low lvl. Anyone else see whhat i see or am i seeing things???

TwinkTastical
11-01-2010, 10:48 AM
Yes you are....

Protank
11-01-2010, 11:01 AM
Im seeing things? Dang i really thought i saw them change and go up a notch. Owell im lossing it then..

TwinkTastical
11-01-2010, 11:02 AM
thx for reminding me, i gotta use my 19 more... so i can do some STR8 CTF!?!!?!!?!?!!?@#$^#$%&@^!&!^

FluffNStuff
11-01-2010, 11:06 AM
Im seeing things? Dang i really thought i saw them change and go up a notch. Owell im lossing it then..

Not seeing things.
Your damage will raise 1 point for each of the following:
10 Dex (First one is at 5)
18.75 Int (first one is at 12, which is what you saw)
75 Str (First one is at 20)

Protank
11-01-2010, 11:22 AM
Hah! Well thats good to know im really not seeing things. Its been a while so was really unsure. O off topic my 20 bear otw and will be beast!

Azrael
11-01-2010, 08:52 PM
Well, I'm confused why dex is the only stat point the will increase dps...
Shouldn't Int raise a mage's damage not just their spell damage?
Shouldn't Str raise a warrior's damage not just their skill damage?

I mean each class should have their own stat that raises their damage not just dex for all... dex should add acc, dodge, and crit for all but it shouldnt be the only stat that makes us hit harder.

your thoughts?

We do think the stat system isn't as good as it should be, but you sir are incorrect in your beliefs of what stats actually do, and your ideas for a better class system are ridiculous.

Rextab
11-02-2010, 07:31 AM
i dont think it is simply that DEX increases actual damage, but increases the chance of damage and how hard the attack hits.
since PL only has three stats they seemed to assign different attributes to each stat...some which given other RPGs dont make alot of since. from what i can tell STR increases base physical damage, INT increases base magical damage, and DEX controls the percentages.

DEX controls your hit and crit %. the hit cap is incredibly important for damage. missed skills/attacks = no damage. this is a huge loss in DPS. simply having enough dex to get to 100% hit would be a sizeable damage boost in it's own right...even without an actual "increase" in damage.
i am guessing in actuality, given mob abilities are the same as player abilities, the actual hit cap to prevent ANY misses is something like 125%, but they still have a chance to dodge (not sure what mob base dodge chance is...probably varies from mob to mob).

crit % also equals more damage since your attacks have a better chance to hit harder. while consistent damage can win out in the long run over crit as far as pure numbers, high burst damage is incredibly important to getting mobs down quickly and surviving, especially for squishies.

nick115
11-02-2010, 09:08 AM
We do think the stat system isn't as good as it should be, but you sir are incorrect in your beliefs of what stats actually do, and your ideas for a better class system are ridiculous.

i love how people always have to put you down if they dont agree with you. real mature.

FluffNStuff
11-02-2010, 09:30 AM
i dont think it is simply that DEX increases actual damage, but increases the chance of damage and how hard the attack hits.
since PL only has three stats they seemed to assign different attributes to each stat...some which given other RPGs dont make alot of since. from what i can tell STR increases base physical damage, INT increases base magical damage, and DEX controls the percentages.

DEX controls your hit and crit %. the hit cap is incredibly important for damage. missed skills/attacks = no damage. this is a huge loss in DPS. simply having enough dex to get to 100% hit would be a sizeable damage boost in it's own right...even without an actual "increase" in damage.
i am guessing in actuality, given mob abilities are the same as player abilities, the actual hit cap to prevent ANY misses is something like 125%, but they still have a chance to dodge (not sure what mob base dodge chance is...probably varies from mob to mob).

crit % also equals more damage since your attacks have a better chance to hit harder. while consistent damage can win out in the long run over crit as far as pure numbers, high burst damage is incredibly important to getting mobs down quickly and surviving, especially for squishies.
Might have missed this:
Your damage will raise 1 point for each of the following:
10 Dex (First one is at 5)
18.75 Int (first one is at 12, which is what you saw)
75 Str (First one is at 20)

This is ACTUAL damage. Unequip your weapons and any items. The damage shown is your base character damage. Now equip your weapon, and you now see your full weapon damage, which is weapon + character damage. Now check out your skills. They have a damage listed. The TRUE SKILL DAMAGE is base damage + weapon damage + skill damage.
So as you see, your base character damage affects all damage and is raised by the previous stat allotments.

Now you might be thinking of just the 'listed skill damage'. That is upped for bears by using str, elves by using int, and birds by using dex. But the TRUE SKILL DAMAGE also includes character damage, so dex actually increases the bear damage faster then str. For elves, it is close. This does not even take into account crits. In case you are wondering, here is the effect of stats on crits:
1 Critical point =
6.6 Dex
20 Int
~ Strength (Strength has no effect on crit, which makes it SUPER USELESS)

Rextab
11-02-2010, 09:55 AM
sorry to post inaccurate info on the way the stats work. i am still trying to learn how they work, but that was from what i had read, observed, and tried to make logical sense of based on other RPGs and MMOs i have played. thanks for the clarification.

dex adding base damage doesn't make much sense. i thought that with a bird for example that stacking dex just made them a "crit based" class. their damage would scale based off high crit chance (crit every hit) and their damage would scale based off base stats, level, and gear. i thought it would be a supporting stat to modify hit/crit for a bear, and i even asked this question in the enchantress forums about dex effecting spells, which they do effect hit/crit and evidently flat damage.

this just seems to be an issue with an overly simplified stat system. in a way it is easy to understand, but in relation to other games it doesn't make as much sense (i am more agile so my spells hit more often and harder! wtf)

don't think i have that much of an issue with it now that i understand how it works, but it probably should be balanced a bit more.