PDA

View Full Version : PC Pocket Legends.

MurdocX
11-01-2010, 04:38 PM
I have a few questions.

1. When the PC version is released, will there be an Anti-Cheat system in place?

As the game grows larger I am noticing the increase of annoying players. More beggars, scammers, whiners, jerks, etc. These people are usually the ones responsible for "______ HACKS" being at the top of a Google search suggestion. I'm not aware of the current profit pool the Dev's can use on PL, so I'm not asking for a huge company like Punkbuster or Hack Shield, but will there be anything? Something with minimal coding that has the ability to at least negate Cheat Engine because I've only come across a scarce amount of members with the ability to code a language. So if Cheat Engine is blocked I am sure there will be no problems in this area.

2. When it is released, will it be for PC, Mac, or both?

I personally have a PC and I'm pretty sure the release will be for PC initially, but I would like to know if it will be available on Mac's as well. I'm positive some players have Mac's and would be interested to know if they could play as well.

3. Botting - Similar to my first question.

Botting is always an issue in any MMO. There isn't any full proof method that I've seen in my years of gaming to prevent this other than Moderators and helpful members who report.

4. In Game Moderators!

With a PC MMO's there is almost always moderators that are hired or voluntarily chosen to become moderators in the game. They are usually the Guinea pigs for the Developers, Event holders, and semi-average players with the ability to blow your account to kingdom-come. I would like to know if any in game moderators will be in the game. I would like to see more events because they usually turn up positive results and make the game way fun. Especially since there is a PvP system in place, I see this as one method to fixing the lack of PvP games in PL as well.

Feel free to ask your own questions in this thread about the PC release if any one else has some questions I didn't mention.

MoarPewPew
11-01-2010, 04:53 PM
Well, my guess is that the game will have a improved auto ban system. The game can detect large gaps of gold gain or items received. But that might cause a problem because you can buy gold with plat... So yeah, I wonder if the system they
Use can tell the difference.

Then since this game was made for the iPod first, I bet a Mac version will be in the works.

In looking forward of making movies and recording gameplay when PL is release on PC.

But yeah, on the PC I hope the skills are keybinded and I wonder how the walking function work.
I would would want it to be on the arrow keys and the s a d w keys also. Moving the camera should be done my the mouse. Or we can click to walk.

Varking
11-01-2010, 04:56 PM
To help deter bots and hacks that come with it, as well as promote the "pocket" in Pocket Legends... make it so that in order to play the PC version you have to purchase it with platinum. Make the PC be an extension of the mobile devices, not become the new main way to access the client.

Azrael
11-01-2010, 07:08 PM
I see why they want to make the game multi platform. Its a way of pushing the envelope. However if you just released pocket legends for pc initially and not on mobile... i doubt anyone would play it, and that makes the direction PL is taking a gamble. Where this will go is anyones guess. Maybe it will bring huge attention to the game, or maybe it will go no where.

Either way there is no way around the fact that once the game hits the PC, the mobile version will in many ways become marginalized. Pocket legends runs the danger of no longer being "Hot new mmorpg for a phone!" but instead becoming "that mmorpg (sorta) that you can play on your phone when you aren't at home or not doing something difficult in game.... but compared to other pc mmorpg's has no where near the same graphics, capabilities or content, and its not free." Moving it to android was just plain smart. Releasing the PC client is a big wild card.

In theory the iphone and android PL market shouldn't be affected, and no one is going to look for a PC mmorpg and want to play PL, so it can be assumed that phone users will seek out the game. I personally think it will bring attention to the game but also turn off many players who don't want to play on their PC (most probably cause they have better games on their PC already), or have macs, or simply realize that they can't perform as well as the players using actual computers on their phones. If you think the Booting players out of games is outrageous now, just wait until players start booting you cause you are on a phone; why would anyone want to play with someone who can't easily communicate or function well compared to you?

overall, the PC client will probably be good for the company, but either a side note or bad for the mobile application. Time will tell. Of course while all this development is going on, the actual game itself is not being developed at the same pace as it was, the class/skill/equipment system is suffering and there is very little endgame content.

But hey, for game companies, some times you got to go all in and roll the dice. Hopefully, with time, a better game will come as a result.

setec
11-01-2010, 11:21 PM
As far as in game moderators, I have the same opinion as with forum player moderators. I would only trust employees of STS to do this job not players no matter how popular on the forums or in game.

Drewl90
11-01-2010, 11:43 PM
I see why they want to make the game multi platform. Its a way of pushing the envelope. However if you just released pocket legends for pc initially and not on mobile... i doubt anyone would play it, and that makes the direction PL is taking a gamble. Where this will go is anyones guess. Maybe it will bring huge attention to the game, or maybe it will go no where.

Either way there is no way around the fact that once the game hits the PC, the mobile version will in many ways become marginalized. Pocket legends runs the danger of no longer being "Hot new mmorpg for a phone!" but instead becoming "that mmorpg (sorta) that you can play on your phone when you aren't at home or not doing something difficult in game.... but compared to other pc mmorpg's has no where near the same graphics, capabilities or content, and its not free." Moving it to android was just plain smart. Releasing the PC client is a big wild card.

In theory the iphone and android PL market shouldn't be affected, and no one is going to look for a PC mmorpg and want to play PL, so it can be assumed that phone users will seek out the game. I personally think it will bring attention to the game but also turn off many players who don't want to play on their PC (most probably cause they have better games on their PC already), or have macs, or simply realize that they can't perform as well as the players using actual computers on their phones. If you think the Booting players out of games is outrageous now, just wait until players start booting you cause you are on a phone; why would anyone want to play with someone who can't easily communicate or function well compared to you?

overall, the PC client will probably be good for the company, but either a side note or bad for the mobile application. Time will tell. Of course while all this development is going on, the actual game itself is not being developed at the same pace as it was, the class/skill/equipment system is suffering and there is very little endgame content.

But hey, for game companies, some times you got to go all in and roll the dice. Hopefully, with time, a better game will come as a result.

I thoroughly agree with this. It's very risky for PL indeed, and i would actually prefer if they kept the game to smartphones alone. Despite probably having more income, the consequence is they have to deal with more problems like hacking and botting.

I just hope that this doesn't turn out for the worst

Royce
11-02-2010, 12:13 AM
From the article linked here: http://www.spacetimestudios.com/content.php?179-Pocket-Legends-Four-Platforms-One-Server

“The PC client is more of an effort to support the mobile users,” explained Gary
So I'm wondering if it will be a no plat situation on PC, so you can only play past level 18 if you have a supported mobile device...

Edit: In fact, looking at that again, it mentions using the device as a control for the PC client. Wouldn't it be interesting if it were a display only client...

TwinkTastical
11-02-2010, 12:27 AM
Well, my guess is that the game will have a improved auto ban system. The game can detect large gaps of gold gain or items received. But that might cause a problem because you can buy gold with plat... So yeah, I wonder if the system they
Use can tell the difference.

Then since this game was made for the iPod first, I bet a Mac version will be in the works.

In looking forward of making movies and recording gameplay when PL is release on PC.

But yeah, on the PC I hope the skills are keybinded and I wonder how the walking function work.
I would would want it to be on the arrow keys and the s a d w keys also. Moving the camera should be done my the mouse. Or we can click to walk.

The WASD keys have worn off on my Alienware... Maybe i play too much counterstrike?

Barbamitsos
11-02-2010, 12:36 AM
PL= Pocket Legends. its name is for iproducts. why would u make it for pc? -.- u want to make it biger so that more new gener players will get here?

KingFu
11-02-2010, 12:38 AM
PL= Pocket Legends. its name is for iproducts. why would u make it for pc? -.- u want to make it biger so that more new gener players will get here?

*cough*radicalee*cough*;)

Rextab
11-02-2010, 07:57 AM
another vote for a mac version...

Happytodd
11-02-2010, 08:25 AM
I absolutely love the idea of moderators, with special colour name tags and emotions. Having active in game moderators is what draws me to certain games. With the anti hack thing I'm sure something would be in place to prevent hackers. The programming staff are not dumb. What you have to ask yourself is where would you see pocket legends in six or twelve months time.

reddragon72
11-02-2010, 09:33 AM
I think that the Dev's are thinking that the PC version will bring in more people to the mobile version. Just think people would start on the PC and then purchase a mobile device to play the game on. So it sounds pretty solid as I don't think that people will migrate from mobile to PC, not the other way around. I know for a fact that I wont be playing the pc version to much unless my phone is charging or I'm at work ;)

MurdocX
11-02-2010, 10:13 AM
To help deter bots and hacks that come with it, as well as promote the "pocket" in Pocket Legends... make it so that in order to play the PC version you have to purchase it with platinum. Make the PC be an extension of the mobile devices, not become the new main way to access the client.

I actually really like that idea. In other words, it insures that the only users playing the PC client will be average, plat buying, dedicated players. Then, if caught cheating, you can be cut from it on a fingers notice because access is given through that plat purchase. All they would have to do is revoke the purchase. Then you would have to pay again just to have access again, assuming an IP or Hardware ban wasn't issued.

I agree with pretty much everything you've said.

I do think a PC version will help advance PL further though. Simply because patching, testing, and updating PC games is much less of a task than doing so on a mobile device. Reason being that they have to work on the patch, convert it to what ever language the apple device reads, then test it on the device to see if it works or not. However, if they have a PC version available they can spend less time converting and worrying over compatibility issues and just perfect the patch until it runs smoothly on PC then convert to the devices.

It could back fire though, two platforms (excluding android devices) means increased likeliness of compatibility issues with every new expansion or patch.

As far as in game moderators, I have the same opinion as with forum player moderators. I would only trust employees of STS to do this job not players no matter how popular on the forums or in game.

I said usually hired, in other words STS staff. However I have seen gaming companies hold applications for eligible players to become possible moderators by going through a trial period (temp mod). Actually, I was a temp mod a long time ago for a game called 2 Moons. And payment doesn't always have to be done, you can simply be a moderator under a legal contract, so if you mis-use your role say hello the the court system.

I doubt the graphics will me OMGZORSIKASDMKAWD on the PC. If I was a random kid looking for a new MMO and I came acrossed PC PL and a game like LoL, i'd pick the more appealing of the two. The PC is simply an extension for those crazy sons a bishes who play for hours on end in a little corner with their outlet powered charger on their device.

I absolutely love the idea of moderators, with special colour name tags and emotions. Having active in game moderators is what draws me to certain games. With the anti hack thing I'm sure something would be in place to prevent hackers. The programming staff are not dumb. What you have to ask yourself is where would you see pocket legends in six or twelve months time.

SEE! Someone understands my point! In-game moderators are a HUGE attraction (assuming their not assholes) for a lot of games! Every time a moderator logs on a billion people hoard them with screen shots and boasting like, "Yeah... me and him... we're cool. We're like brothers" lol. Sometimes they have rare items (not unfair rare, like cool or altered looking rare) items they give at random to members. They host PvP events or hide-and-go-find-me events, etc. Overall it's just a great idea for any game, never fails to make players happy.

I think that the Dev's are thinking that the PC version will bring in more people to the mobile version. Just think people would start on the PC and then purchase a mobile device to play the game on. So it sounds pretty solid as I don't think that people will migrate from mobile to PC, not the other way around. I know for a fact that I wont be playing the pc version to much unless my phone is charging or I'm at work ;)

I agree pretty much with everything, plus they could have a solid advertising statement like,
"PC at home? Got an Android or Apple device? Feel sorry for those pathetic suckers who can't play their favorite MMO on their FREAKING MOBILE DEVICE. OH YEAH! You want mob ownage while eating a donut in your car in the middle of NO WHERE? YOU GOT IT! PLAY PL TODAY!"

Too much coffee.. my bad. Need it to get me through my day lol...

Rextab
11-02-2010, 10:18 AM
i just hope for a mac version since my only real gripe about PL as a game is it drains my iPhone 4 (my preferred way to play) like nobody's business. iPad I can play a lot longer, but I prefer the easier to hold form factor of the iPhone if I can.
Mac version would let me play on my MBP at home without killing my iPhone battery. i suppose i could boot into my Windows installation, but i prefer to stay in the MacOS environment unless I am having to go into Windows for some work related things.

Barbamitsos
11-02-2010, 10:34 AM
*cough*radicalee*cough*;)

*cough* exactly *cough* ;)

Vyvin
11-02-2010, 11:25 AM
If devs use HEX There will be hackz
/Vyvin

MurdocX
11-03-2010, 12:41 AM
If devs use HEX There will be hackz
/Vyvin

That was one of my worries, depending on how they handle things. However I doubt it will be hex but if so I'm positive it will be a varied form of hex aside from the standard 0 - 1F encryption.

Guess we'll have to wait and see xD

Archyx
11-03-2010, 06:59 AM
I have played wow since release and managed to be one of the top players in EU..
If this game attempts to breach onto the PC MMORPG gaming seen it will crash and burn

The main neice in the market this game has is the fact its protable! No one in there right mind is going to play this over games like WOW/WHO/Guildwars etc etc etc...

The main thing that props wow up is the compatative game play in terms of arena or guild raiding this game has a very long way to come before it can compete with such games.

Archyx

Rextab
11-03-2010, 07:36 AM
I don't think the WoW and other MMO crowd is the target audience for this. I am pretty sure they mean for the PC version to be an additional way to play PL. As I stated before I look forward to it so I don't have to constantly drain down my iPhone battery.
You are 100% correct that PL can't stand against WoW, but I don't think they are trying to. That being said I am sure alot of WoW and ex-WoW players play PL as it gives them a sort of condensed version of what MMOs are. Basically you have towns and instances...that's about it.

Archyx
11-03-2010, 07:41 AM
Yeah i agree with you 100%, i personally play this game to get away from the crazed ego maniacs that wow and other games like it attract!

Chilled gaming FTW :)

Rextab
11-03-2010, 07:57 AM
yup. PL is definitely a more pick up and play casual MMO experience. WoW gets to the point where it feels like a second job. PL doesn't generate that pressure. no dailies. No scheduled raid events. It is easier to pick up and advance than say in something like WoW where you really have to spend more free time than you generally have to succeed. If you don't everyone else just waves it in your face that you don't have item X or done event Y.
It is one of the things I liked in PL was that casual feel, but as more and more people are discovering it, the inevitable has happened. The idiots that think spamming trade chat (WoW players no exactly what i am talking about) with insults, vulgarities, and just overall useless crap are starting to play PL. The ratio of good mature players as opposed to childish idiots is starting to grow FAST.

but when PL is firing on all cylinders...meaning i am in a group of good players the game is a blast. Love it.

ZKRiNG
11-03-2010, 02:21 PM
Any know date of beta for pc version, i love this game, but just have iphone 2g, and is so hot before 20 minuts playing and don't want burn my phone.

Varking
11-03-2010, 02:30 PM
Any know date of beta for pc version, i love this game, but just have iphone 2g, and is so hot before 20 minuts playing and don't want burn my phone.

There is no known date yet. The most recent update stated to look for the Android version first, which will be here before the end of the year.

Azrael
11-03-2010, 04:32 PM
I agree with pretty much everything you've said.

I do think a PC version will help advance PL further though. Simply because patching, testing, and updating PC games is much less of a task than doing so on a mobile device. Reason being that they have to work on the patch, convert it to what ever language the apple device reads, then test it on the device to see if it works or not. However, if they have a PC version available they can spend less time converting and worrying over compatibility issues and just perfect the patch until it runs smoothly on PC then convert to the devices.

It could back fire though, two platforms (excluding android devices) means increased likeliness of compatibility issues with every new expansion or patch.

Actually, they have always developed pocket legends on the PC since the game first started, and then migrated it to the iphone. The very first movies we saw were on a PC client version. Adding the PC client for gamers seems to be more about ensuring the pc client can run on the existing servers without messing things up or allowing cheating.

Archyx
11-04-2010, 08:35 AM
yup. PL is definitely a more pick up and play casual MMO experience. WoW gets to the point where it feels like a second job. PL doesn't generate that pressure. no dailies. No scheduled raid events. It is easier to pick up and advance than say in something like WoW where you really have to spend more free time than you generally have to succeed. If you don't everyone else just waves it in your face that you don't have item X or done event Y.
It is one of the things I liked in PL was that casual feel, but as more and more people are discovering it, the inevitable has happened. The idiots that think spamming trade chat (WoW players no exactly what i am talking about) with insults, vulgarities, and just overall useless crap are starting to play PL. The ratio of good mature players as opposed to childish idiots is starting to grow FAST.

but when PL is firing on all cylinders...meaning i am in a group of good players the game is a blast. Love it.

Yeah completly agree with you mate.. the competative attitude towards wow does cause peoples ego's to sky rocket! At the hight of my wow playing time i had up to 50 /w a day most asking me questions on tactics in arena the rest were people insulting me and telling me how rubbish i was :( considering i was at the top of the ladder with a 98% win ratio i just put it down to people being jealous! still rather uncalled for in my honest opinion! Each to there own i guess.

<3 casual gaming!

MoarPewPew
11-05-2010, 07:29 AM
Well, I do believe we will get a Mac version. They already have an in will apple so.... Apple will most likely give them there OS source code so they can make a client.

I won't hold my breath though. ( well I might hold it a little.)

MurdocX
11-05-2010, 04:19 PM
I have played wow since release and managed to be one of the top players in EU..
If this game attempts to breach onto the PC MMORPG gaming seen it will crash and burn

The main neice in the market this game has is the fact its protable! No one in there right mind is going to play this over games like WOW/WHO/Guildwars etc etc etc...

The main thing that props wow up is the compatative game play in terms of arena or guild raiding this game has a very long way to come before it can compete with such games.

Archyx

You REALLY should read previous posts mr.tl;dr.

What relevance does you making a top chart for WoW have to do with the subject? We already came to the conclusion that the PC is merely an extension to players already in love with the game. And to be quite honest, the fact that it's mobile is actually a PLUS to a PC MMO game, get a lot of attraction through that, especially if the gameplay is good it wouldn't matter much. Gameplay is everything, why else would CS 1.6 still be one of the leading FPS games for PC when there's games like MW2 out?

addiekai
11-05-2010, 06:05 PM
I think the idea of a PC version of PL would be great. And activation of it to use it with the PC using plat is an awesome idea as well. You don't have to pay to download the app on the PC, but you need to pay to link your account on the device to be able to play on the PC.

make it happen devs! :p

TwinkTastical
11-05-2010, 06:49 PM
PC Pocket legends has one flaw..

If its on PC its bottable.

It took me a day to write an undetectable runecrafting bot on runescape, with all versions of nat crafting, I got 99 rc in 3 weeks. Just saying, people WILL bot on pc pocket legends, but i wont, this is my one game i wont bot ^.^

MurdocX
11-06-2010, 01:38 AM
PC Pocket legends has one flaw..

If its on PC its bottable.

It took me a day to write an undetectable runecrafting bot on runescape, with all versions of nat crafting, I got 99 rc in 3 weeks. Just saying, people WILL bot on pc pocket legends, but i wont, this is my one game i wont bot ^.^

I was thinking the same thing. Aside from the fact that only a handful of user's can write scripts, I still think it won't be a big issue. If you look at PL in general, it really doesn't have a lot of open terrain for people to farm in privacy. And most of the dungeons are pretty straight forward and the only way to bot without people would be to set a password on the room. Plus the rooms show the level of the room creator, so if a level 50 sits in a password protected room for 5+ hours alone, it'll be generally obvious enough for people to post time lines of the room or a moderator could easily check the room out.

I think a system should be put in place, like a report button in the game that gives you a form to fill out and allows you to attach a few screen shots with time stamps. Then they can verify the validity and quickly ban the person. Plus if you think about it, having all your accounts banned, or having an IP ban would be more than enough pressure to prevent most from doing so. Considering most of the people I know who play, adore the game to death, I doubt they want anything happening to their accounts. And I know more that 80% of the players are unaware of how to spoof their Mac Address.

All in all I think the factors stack against the idea of botting. Especially since the PC is only an extension, it's quite easy to revoke access (assuming it's a sum of plat to play PC).

Promethion
11-06-2010, 07:24 PM
i would love to see Pocket Legends for the PC. 8 hours or more staring at an ipod touch screen can really get annoying and uncomfortable! Playing on a laptop would be a nice change:)

kingnubcake
11-06-2010, 07:39 PM
pc doesnt really seem like something that would help the game go farther. well i mean in the state it is now. i think that finishing the android to see where that leads would be great. but all this pc talk isnt helping anything. keeping this game completely moble is the point. infact, trying to get it on other moble devices after android would be amazing.

just food for thought

but if it was on the pc. it would be the next game i get addicted to. lol :)
(i lose interest in a game on the pc after like 6 month of playing for 7-8 hours a day, hasnt happened with pocket legends on my ipod yet :D)

Xxkrazyredxx
11-06-2010, 08:39 PM
Will the players on pc be playing with the players on iPod/iPad/iPhone, or they are gonna be completely different

Varking
11-06-2010, 09:08 PM
Will the players on pc be playing with the players on iPod/iPad/iPhone, or they are gonna be completely different

Android, iOS, and PC will all be playing on the same servers.

XmageZz
12-07-2010, 08:03 PM
Varking is right. all will play on one server. cant wait for it. anyone no when it will arrive?

Tree Dude
01-10-2011, 03:25 PM
I think the PC client should be portable. So it should be 1 file that you can slap on a thumb drive and take with you. No install, just launch the file and start playing. Maybe have an ini to save your options, but that is it. This way it is at least somewhat mobile still.

I also think that the PC client should be just like the mobile client. The only enhancements should be WASD and mouse support, no hotkeys. If we put the PC players at too much of an advantage than no one will want to play with someone on a phone.

superglut2
01-10-2011, 04:33 PM
The thing is with the pc version ad mac version we will wait even longer for new content.

[Lt] Shiny
01-10-2011, 04:46 PM
Like the link from Royce: they said that PL will be on ONE server. That's a problem. If the system is easy to break, then hackers will be injecting items, gold, potion, elixirs and other stuff into the server for their characters. Before I was actually looking forward to PL going to PC and Mac. But from the comments now... Not so sure anymore.

PorkinISdead
05-15-2011, 02:14 PM
I'm NOT excited for PC version, unless they are both played on different servers. Because when Mobile device users lag in PvP Pc users will DEMOLISH us... they also will be able to hack in some sort of way. Anyone hear about how that 19 year old kid got sued for a 10th lobby in COD, so he somehow shut down the whole PSN network for weeks. That's SCARY, a freaking 19 year old! Imagine someone who's actually been to college :/

Swimmingstar
05-15-2011, 03:30 PM
PL can also be PCL for PC Legends I wanna destroy every single enemy with the wasd keys it be an advantage in pvp :banana:

AnRK
06-21-2011, 01:44 AM
Actually, they have always developed pocket legends on the PC since the game first started, and then migrated it to the iphone. The very first movies we saw were on a PC client version.

The fact that PL on iphone is over 2x larger in file size compared to android (due to Apple's overinflated coding language needed for ios) speaks alot about what system the original code is being created on/with - aka PC. I'm guessing that porting over to a PC version will be a much smoother transition that over to the mac and frankly I hope they do. That way when my HTC overheats and I have to log off I'll be able to just boot up the old lappie and continue where I left off. WOW will continue to dominant the MMO market no different than the iPhone(y)s do - all because of who can afford to advertise the most. If SS had the same monitary resources as Blizzard than things might get interesting but they don't so I'm guessing the game itself will still hold true to the original smartphone rendition regardless whether it makes it to the PC or not. Now years from now... who knows.

Ebalere
06-21-2011, 03:49 AM
Wouldn't it be interesting if it were a display only client...

That would be wierd cuz you would need to look where ur hitting on ur screen

Bugbugbug
11-04-2011, 10:40 AM
sounds kinda funny... POCKET legends on pc

NECROREAPER
11-04-2011, 12:38 PM
Posting on a thread that's five months old also sounds kinda funny. Check the date before you post and read the rules.....

I'm gonna start counting how many of these we have a week, we must be up to about 15 by now

reddragon72
11-04-2011, 12:39 PM
sounds kinda funny... POCKET legends on pc

My kid play Polly Pocket on the PC ;-) LOL

But all kidding aside, I don't care for "space" set games so Star Legends is not my cup of tea so I wont be playing that. But Pocket Legends on the PC would be really nice as I can't play on my phone at work, but I can play on a PC for testing ;-)

So any news from the devs on PL on PC?

NECROREAPER
11-04-2011, 12:56 PM
It's coming soon, especially since SL already was released on PC.

reddragon72
11-04-2011, 01:20 PM
I remember it seemed to take forever for PL to come out on Android, and this wait is just as bad LOL