PDA

View Full Version : Something is rotten in the....

Eviiedwin
11-01-2010, 08:42 PM
Let me start by saying I have never posted here much, but feel I must. ::climbs up on a soapbox::

I have been around a while, I started PL the day Lost Expedition came out. I had two 45s and another close to it at the end of AO2. As of late I have not been able to play much (getting married later this month, new job blah blah blah).

In my limited playing time recently, I've been yelled at for being too low (lvl 47 in AO3), booted multiple times for no reason (one reason given: HAHAB), and had scams attempted on me 4 times in town via trade.

Anyway, the last 5-6 times I've logged on since AO3 came out I have noticed nothing but severe rudeness and immaturity by a large portion of the players. I don't think it's a new thing, it seems like it's gotten worse and worse for a while now. I've heard some people blame it on "Myna's Generation" etc, but it seems to have hit an all time low. I'd hate to blame it on the age of the players, some of the nicest people I've met have been young, but to me half of the players strike me as being kids who get picked on in school and have to come home to act like "internet tough guys" to prop up their waning self-esteems.

In my opinion something needs to be done. I used to know most of the 45s, I don't recognize these new people - it seems like all the people I used to know/play with are gone. I really love this game, but if this keeps up there's no way I can keep playing. So if you agree, post or at least send me a friend request so I can have some decent people to group with. =P

Azrael
11-01-2010, 08:49 PM
The consignment shop is going to do a lot for this, but its also very important that some of the high level towns have consignment shops as well. The way the town system is structured atm, it would be best if players did all have to be in one of 15 different traders havens. The fact that there are multiple traders havens is also makes things worse, and certainly annoying.

As for being booted, the root cause of this is rushing, (and as always skill/class/equipment system that has outgrown its ability to function properly)

Kurlz
11-01-2010, 09:22 PM
you can add me, ign is Kurlz. im sick of gettin booted and hassled too...
im tempted to quit, but ive spent over $15 on PL, so im not goin anywhere for a while

vulgarstrike
11-01-2010, 10:07 PM
you are sooooooooo right. when i was first into PL, 1.2.0 days, i just began to know people, and I met all the Legends guys, like dizko, king richie, bodhii, and smokescreen. afterwards i bonded with all the forums members during the struggles of ao1, and became one of the most known players among regulars. during ao2, i actively opposed powerleveling and immaturity, and acted against it with my own efforts. by this time, i had established a pretty renown persona, and had my ego stroked dearly. i have no doubt spent multiple hundreds of dollars on this game, not because i needed to, but because i wished to support spacetime studios for their efforts. sure, me and the devs have had our share of disagreements and e-peen matches, but dignity remained in a state of ordinance. mynas generation people have infuriated me, but now, the fighting is a lost battle. I recently joined a game only to be kicked because ao3 was not the place to level a 46 appearantly. i thankfully joined a match with a few well known buds that remembered me. i thank you guys, who remain unnamed by me, and the fact that you told me my reputation could keep me here was heartfelt.

i love you pocket legends, but step up and run this town like the mofos we are. i stepped into a couple of pub games only to find 50s i have never heard of in my life. even in ao2 i would not have a single match where i didnt know at least one person. during my hiatus, the game looks great, but the community looks bleak.

i send everyone my love, and i wish you could add me. my names in my sigs

Azrael
11-01-2010, 10:09 PM
you are sooooooooo right. when i was first into PL, 1.2.0 days, i just began to know people, and I met all the Legends guys, like dizko, king richie, bodhii, and smokescreen.

i get no love ><

Raxie
11-01-2010, 10:11 PM
it also happens in the lower levels. lots and lots of kids swear and curse as they pretend they are tough in lots of games, especially pvp. the attitude and behavior has changed rapidly as i first started in june and everyone was friendly. now i can blatantly tell the difference... kind of sad really.

Prest87
11-01-2010, 10:22 PM
you are sooooooooo right. when i was first into PL, 1.2.0 days, i just began to know people, and I met all the Legends guys, like dizko, king richie, bodhii, and smokescreen. afterwards i bonded with all the forums members during the struggles of ao1, and became one of the most known players among regulars. during ao2, i actively opposed powerleveling and immaturity, and acted against it with my own efforts. by this time, i had established a pretty renown persona, and had my ego stroked dearly. i have no doubt spent multiple hundreds of dollars on this game, not because i needed to, but because i wished to support spacetime studios for their efforts. sure, me and the devs have had our share of disagreements and e-peen matches, but dignity remained in a state of ordinance. mynas generation people have infuriated me, but now, the fighting is a lost battle. I recently joined a game only to be kicked because ao3 was not the place to level a 46 appearantly. i thankfully joined a match with a few well known buds that remembered me. i thank you guys, who remain unnamed by me, and the fact that you told me my reputation could keep me here was heartfelt.

i love you pocket legends, but step up and run this town like the mofos we are. i stepped into a couple of pub games only to find 50s i have never heard of in my life. even in ao2 i would not have a single match where i didnt know at least one person. during my hiatus, the game looks great, but the community looks bleak.

i send everyone my love, and i wish you could add me. my names in my sigs

I'm pretty sure Reaper was a founder of the legends guild.

Iambirdman
11-01-2010, 10:22 PM
I totally agree there are to much noobieness going around I am on the verge of quitting cause these noobs are pissing me off

Prest87
11-01-2010, 10:23 PM
Let me start by saying I have never posted here much, but feel I must. ::climbs up on a soapbox::

I have been around a while, I started PL the day Lost Expedition came out. I had two 45s and another close to it at the end of AO2. As of late I have not been able to play much (getting married later this month, new job blah blah blah).

In my limited playing time recently, I've been yelled at for being too low (lvl 47 in AO3), booted multiple times for no reason (one reason given: HAHAB), and had scams attempted on me 4 times in town via trade.

Anyway, the last 5-6 times I've logged on since AO3 came out I have noticed nothing but severe rudeness and immaturity by a large portion of the players. I don't think it's a new thing, it seems like it's gotten worse and worse for a while now. I've heard some people blame it on "Myna's Generation" etc, but it seems to have hit an all time low. I'd hate to blame it on the age of the players, some of the nicest people I've met have been young, but to me half of the players strike me as being kids who get picked on in school and have to come home to act like "internet tough guys" to prop up their waning self-esteems.

In my opinion something needs to be done. I used to know most of the 45s, I don't recognize these new people - it seems like all the people I used to know/play with are gone. I really love this game, but if this keeps up there's no way I can keep playing. So if you agree, post or at least send me a friend request so I can have some decent people to group with. =P

Lol I came the day before L.E.

Gaabob
11-01-2010, 10:25 PM
Lol solution- make hardcore server that noobs get booted from, only people that play hardcore (and well- rather than button mashing hardcore) can play in it. Of course it's not going to happen... but one can wish ;).

SoShaan
11-01-2010, 10:27 PM
I blame the super potions being added into the game system. Its no longer long hours, hard work,or team game play that gets you XP up to the top.

Now all it takes is the purchase of a potion. IMO they all should be removed. Or its use be limited to Boss rooms only.

Inching
11-01-2010, 11:13 PM
what i do is have a certain list of players you know are good friends to play with ..... then when i enter game first thing is i try to join their games. if they are full I strt my own game. I rarely join other games when I get invited to inless i know the person.

We really cannot control other people's playing styles.... I also play in AO2 and lower maps... because the lower levels players depend on me to help them clear the maps.... I get more satisfaction in clearing a low level map and move on to the next then to run and runh to farm....

I do still farm but usually only with people I know. When this game gets released on Android later this yr, I can see it getting much worse as the population grows.

A good point to start here on the forums and add guys like us who are here talking almost daily (u will know who we r) and add us as friends. Atleast you know we are the solid bunch....

Inching
11-01-2010, 11:14 PM
i blame the super potions being added into the game system. Its no longer long hours, hard work,or team game play that gets you xp up to the top.

Now all it takes is the purchase of a potion. Imo they all should be removed. Or its use be limited to boss rooms only.

kill the exp pot~!!!!!

CanonicalKoi
11-02-2010, 09:31 AM
I only started in August, but there's been a definite change between then and now. There seems to be a lot more rude people, people who don't know how to play cooperatively and those who demand that you give them things. I'll send you a friends invite from the Yosi and Gyoza accounts and one from PickledGinger (lvl 28 bird) and Tankarama (lvl 21 tank--heading for lvl 30 PvP at some point).

Rextab
11-02-2010, 10:06 AM
ive weighed in a few times on my experiences as of late, so i wont go into all that again.
i am hoping the guild system might help curb this a bit.
for example in WoW i would ONLY run with my guild. period. i knew them. i trusted them. i knew they weren't aholes.
i hope when proper guilds get added into the game i can be in one where i can have that same level of trust and know i am with skilled players (that will not beg from and insult people)

i think the tone of this forum thread has hit it on the head. most of these actions are from people who are young with no idea of how to really socially interact (being an ahole is NOT cool), or have incredibly bad self esteem and think just because they get emotionally or physically bullied in real life they can/should apply that to a virtual world. sorry, you lose twice over with that attitude.

Protank
11-02-2010, 10:44 AM
I blame the super potions being added into the game system. Its no longer long hours, hard work,or team game play that gets you XP up to the top.

Now all it takes is the purchase of a potion. IMO they all should be removed. Or its use be limited to Boss rooms only.
Dude u nailed it on the head. I been pm'n devs to take xp pots off the list. At least the xp pots. they dont respond on the matter. Im asuming the rl $ people spend on em has all to do with it. Just suks cuz it looks like it could be a mynas gen for every gen if u have the usda or euro to spend on it. Owell just anouther way of keeping the $$$ rolling in i guess. I see no end to it. U?

CanonicalKoi
11-02-2010, 10:57 AM
Yeah, I admit to using a couple XP pots to get Yosinabe over the 49 to 50 hump, but it wouldn't break my heart to see them go. If you've got the bucks (real or "gold") to spend, you don't have to learn to cooperate with people. It doesn't matter if you behave like a jerk and won't be welcomed back into teams. There's enough people that you can afford burn bridges as long as you're getting double or better XP every outing. By the time you've burned through all the other players, congratulations! You're now level 50. A level 50 Jerk, mind you, but they don't seem to care about that.

reddragon72
11-02-2010, 10:58 AM
Maybe they are waiting to see what the Android demographics can bring to the game. It is shown that most Android users are more technical and the average age is higher than Apple's base. I think that more and more kids yell and scream at mommy to buy them and Iphone like their friends have so your seeing more kids(16 and under). Also with newer generation Iphones coming out, some people pass down their older device to there kids, so yea, you are seeing more and more kids with Iphones. That happens in the "trend setter" world where Icarly and Hanna Montana set the mind of what kids want. And no I am not betting on Idevices, I am simply stating facts that have/are happening.

Snakespeare
11-02-2010, 12:01 PM
I have to jump in! There's a Hamlet ref... :-)

Boot abuse is one problem. It has a cause and can be solved. People are using boot powers to cull for their ideal team. There are a few harder ways to create teams, like start a thread or ask in town, but those ways are practically impossible. So people use the boot. They start a game and prune out the people who show up that they don't want.

Solution: Give people a better way to create teams. There have been many suggestions. My own favorite is to tag the game in the Join Game menu with something that indicates what sort of game they are playing and what sort of players they want. Wouldn't it be great to look for a game and see that you are needed?

Power Levelling is not a problem. The game has places where people can advance their levels. In AO3 there is the room of shadows which has continually respawning shadows. Sometimes the King of the Dead is in there, and sometimes he doesn't spawn for quite a while. An XP pot that last 5 minutes and costs 1500 gp will change the xp yellow threat level shadows to 3 pts each. In 5 minutes you can take out maybe 50. That is barely a tenth of what it takes to advance a level when you are over 47. So, you can do it ten times and spend 15,000 gp, or do it 20 times. I have one at 50 and I used the XP pot in that room about 5 times. I had to run it like 50 times. You only get 1 or 2 xp for the keeper. But if you persist, sometimes people want to get the keeper, and then maybe you'll get a useable item.

Power levelling outside your own level IS a problem. It is LEECHING. A level 30 character can NOT damage hallways minions in AO3. A person who brings a level 30 to an AO3 map is solely interested in leeching XP. They are only taking up space that could be used by someone 45 or higher. It is a kind of stealing and should not be permitted.

Why do people do it? Simply because they want xp. But logic tells us that the best xp possible is gotten from the lowest level opponent who has a red threat level. Until level 33, Swamps and Skeller provide the easiest prey for the highest XP yield. At level 33, switch to AO1. The side benefit is useable items.

Yet people do not do it. Why not?

Because there are no people playing in Skeller or Swamps.

Solution: quests and towns and magic portals for Swamp Towne; quests for Skeller and a path from Fathom; quests for AO1, 2, and 3; and Oasis Towne.

The good news is, the devs intend to implement all those townes and quests soon.
The bad news is, there has been no word on what they will do to end boot abuse.

As for quitting, I recommend taking breaks. There really are so many more important things in this world than one game on my iPad, but it makes no sense to burn bridges.

As for community, the only way it can be good is if we are good. Some are bad. We must lead by being good anyway. They delight in making us drift into their trolldom. Blithely ignore them. And if they upset you, never let it show. Just smile and walk on. They like chaos, so remain orderly. It's the one thing that really gets to them the most!

Rextab
11-02-2010, 12:06 PM
possibly. from the people i know with androids and iPhones, one group is not more tech savvy than the other. I know a lot of tech savvy users with both, and i know a lot of non tech savvy people with both.
age doesn't seem to matter much either especially with verizon almost giving away android phones now (buy one get one free offer here recently).
i just think jerks will be jerks. communities like this one tend to be self regulating. like canonicalKoi said...they may burn all their bridges and get to 50. yay. then what? you going to solo everything? nobody will want to group with you when you get the reputation of being a very bad or nasty player.

edit:
i agree with adding quests for swamps/skeller to get people in there. swamps i can usually find some groups, mainly because they are farming/hoping for rare pinks. skeller i hardly EVER find anyone running that, which is a shame because the XP is good for the level, much easier mobs than the swamps (i hate poison), and very good chances of decent purple and pink drops.

araziza
11-02-2010, 12:33 PM
Eviiedwin, feel free to add me as a friend. I downloaded the game when it first came out, though i started really playing closer to balefort castle, and I also find that the community has gone downhill for the most part. Booting is a major problem, which I believe is really generated by the root causes of impatient younger players and an in game economy that encourages greed and elitism. It would be nice to have some good company during games and farming runs.

Typhee
11-02-2010, 12:39 PM
(one reason given: HAHAB)

Wow you are lucky, I got this reason from Jianjiangxcn : .
And Chaudex keep booting my bear from her group for no reason but sometime accept my dex mage. I said her i was the same person, but she said she is tired and too much new person... I asked her to explain what I did wrong to her, she just booted my bear out of her friend list because she died while I was talking to her... Finally she said I can hate her, she doesn't care... I don't hate her I just don't understand why she is rude with me.

Because they are "top players" they have right to treat the others like piece of .... ? What is the pleasure to be pro and being a jerk with people that don't have 150k kills ? Why these people play mmo if they don't like the others ? To show them on leaderboards ?

And what about those that ask to pot or boot ya if u can't afford ???

Too much unfriendly and if this game is going worse with Android i may leave too.

@Eviiedwin Feel free to add me to your friend too^^

King Richie
11-02-2010, 12:41 PM
This is a simple fix .. Crush the rush and break the pots and the problems are solved !

Typhee
11-02-2010, 12:47 PM
Yeah eliminate these unfriendly pots, it's ruining the game :(

Rextab
11-02-2010, 01:17 PM
yeah the pots seemed like a poor attempt to copy elixirs from WoW, which I already thought were sort of a crutch anyway. Elixirs were meant there to be something to get you over the hump, to let you sort of squeak by bosses and progress a bit further while your skill and gear get better. they were never meant to be and never should be required. some of the stuff i have seen in AO3 it is almost a given you have to use a few pots to survive the encounters. to me this would extremely hard for a tank because i had to buy normal pots like crazy until level 45. i am just now starting to get some cash. my bird on the other hand is bill gates by comparison. i rarely have to buy pots of any kind and just sell trash and get tons of cash.
i can totally understand when people say they cant afford the super expensive pots.
the jump in difficulty between AO2 and AO3 is just ridiculous. i am all for a challenge, but that leap was a bit too large in almost every respect.
also this is a way of closing off the casual players and not the ones that are the loot pests. i hardly ever try to sell anything actively, but if anyone wants to buy something and i don't need it i'll gladly sell it. heck, i usually just give stuff to people if i see they need it, like just the other day a leveling tank saw i got a green fork and wanted to know if he could buy/have it. i had a purple i had won earlier. i just gave him the purple i had and said "here this one is better :) "

TwinkTastical
11-02-2010, 02:08 PM
The myna gen boots now, i just solo overlords, my 47 bear takes it fine, i was able to stay in a game of 50s, cause game maker left, they didnt think it was possible to solo overlord...or rush mynas, i did it both SOLO while they tried to clear, Level is a number, myna is a lifestyle.

Azrael
11-02-2010, 05:15 PM
The myna gen boots now, i just solo overlords, my 47 bear takes it fine, i was able to stay in a game of 50s, cause game maker left, they didnt think it was possible to solo overlord...or rush mynas, i did it both SOLO while they tried to clear, Level is a number, myna is a lifestyle.

i find overlord to be easier than myna. Problem with myna is it can take longer than 5 minutes. Killing the shadows clears this up though.

TwinkTastical
11-02-2010, 05:18 PM
i find overlord to be easier than myna. Problem with myna is it can take longer than 5 minutes. Killing the shadows clears this up though.

O.o myna is easier imo, just BC i kill him in 1 minute, pinning is easy, overlord is just annoying :)

Azrael
11-02-2010, 05:20 PM
O.o myna is easier imo, just BC i kill him in 1 minute, pinning is easy, overlord is just annoying :)

i havent played in about a month, maybe things have changed. I still have a shock lance.

Kingofhurtz
11-02-2010, 05:29 PM
I have to jump in! There's a Hamlet ref... :-)

As for community, the only way it can be good is if we are good. Some are bad. We must lead by being good anyway. They delight in making us drift into their trolldom. Blithely ignore them. And if they upset you, never let it show. Just smile and walk on. They like chaos, so remain orderly. It's the one thing that really gets to them the most!

How would you know? ^^^^. ;)

vulgarstrike
11-02-2010, 05:36 PM
i get no love ><

sorry!

I'm pretty sure Reaper was a founder of the legends guild.

i didnt really see him in game. ever.

icantgetkills
11-02-2010, 06:19 PM
make the fnord server bring it back then all the awesome players can join there make are own community like it was fnord swamps was EPIC i new every level 35 :D well most of them and could join a game without getting booted...

Fyrce
11-02-2010, 07:16 PM
Just to jump in here...

I try to figure out how to have a better gaming experience, because I think the game is quite fun. Of course, it doesn't hurt to get off the xp/farm rollercoaster most of the time to sit AFK in town...

Yesterday, I was reminded not to take things too seriously when a mage I did not know cursed me out because she/he/it could not rez the group: Pally, no pots, no gold, no mana, level 50. But then later, that same mage told me nicely to not respawn and wait for rez because he/she/it would rez me. I figure it's just another kid who does not know how cursing comes across in chat or maybe they talk like that all the time: from "Hi how are you" to "!@$#%#% you" etc. and think nothing of it. I was hanging out with a friend and he was staying, or I probably would have left when I got cursed out, but now I'm more likely to stay and at least see how the play goes and if the cursing is a recurring event, which in this case it was not.

As for guilds, I enjoy joining games with people I do not know. How else do I meet new people if I'm not playing with them? I FRIENDED maybe 20 people yesterday from pick-up games and had some funny conversations. I would never had had those if I had played only with people I already knew. There are some very nice people out there and considering I met only one rude person, and someone else who made a couple snide comments in Captive Audience and then left us "noobs" and did not stay to see us clear a little bit later, I would say the score was quite good for the good guys. There were probably many more people who were fine, but sometimes I don't get to play long enough to FRIEND them. Oh, and no booting at all.

I am not sure when everyone is playing but I would say there are more good people than bad, so try to relax and give people a chance. Actually, in the good Captive Audience group, we lost maybe 5 people before the group gelled and we started moving. And no, it did not take long for people to leave; they just had to see someone else die. Hell, a couple of them stood around and I suppose when they realized they had to work, they left. Had I left earlier, I never would have found my good group. At one point, we were down to just two mages and that could have been it... LOL, had I been a little bit "smarter" and a little bit less stubborn, I would have left also. I am happy there are other stubborn people like me and we get to play together. :-) Pretty soon, we were up two bears and a little birdie and off we went.

kkaustin
11-02-2010, 07:32 PM
Eviiedwin, i totally agree with your observation, ive been playing since the 3rd week PL was released. Unfortunately ive had to watch this evolution of rude and obnoxcious bullying since its beginning. I have sent numerous emails to spacetime studios over the past few months whenever i catch a screenshot of these bullies, but have not recieved any responses. Obviously its not the dev's fault but it would be nice if they could do something.

anyways my gaming name is Promethion, Level 49 Archer and i would be glad to join up to play. See you soon;)

Dip
11-03-2010, 12:36 AM
well my observation.. Ao3 separated players into 3 groups.. those that are casual players, hardcore players and ultimate noobs stuck at certain levels coz they are so noob that ppl dont want them in their team.. and doesnt have the intelligence to create their own game ...

Fyrce
11-03-2010, 01:04 AM
Good way of putting it, Dip. I've been in groups with multiple bears and they could not, no matter how hard they tried, keep one Sniper pinned. I was torn between laughing and crying. Well, ok, laughing as they cursed at how hard AO3 was and how you need pots and better EQ and a better team, blah blah. And how they were stuck and needed level 50s to help. I've been in multiple groups of these and they might still be easy to find in Ao3:2. Not sure. I've mostly given up on them. I think I helped a few people through Captive Audience and Intergalactic Combat yesterday, or at least they were very happy to clear... Thank goodness they were not the horrible ones.

Man, some of these Keeper teams are worse than horrible. And I don't even know why some groups are just so bad while most of the time the Keeper is almost easy. Some of groups I remember made the right motions: aggro keeper, stay behind him, blah blah, but could not damage him at all or stay alive. It was really werid. Then there's other times, when, for example, I find myself alone in front of the Overlord while everyone else is... who knows where... We WERE together when we went in...