PDA

View Full Version : Bow Skills Using Dagger = Pro?

CouchNinja
09-11-2013, 03:17 AM
So I have a question again as I can't really understand the mechanics of the game and I am new.

I just noticed you can use bow skills using dagger or vice versa, and you can use it without having or equip a bow in your bag.

So does the damage of the Bow Skill uses the STATS of the dagger when you cast it and you're equipped with a dagger?

Come on, don't tell me pro players don't know this, share your knowledge. =P

Yakiniku
09-11-2013, 10:10 AM
Bow and dagger animations have always been something of a "makes no sense to me" type of thing. When you're level 1 in the tutorial with daggers equipped, begin to charge Aimed Shot and suddenly your toon whips out some phantom bow to shoot it from... where the heck does that come from? :p

Short answer to your question is, your skill choices don't rely on what type of weapon you have equipped. The damage you do is affected by your stats. More in depth, the damage your skills do is directly affected by your "damage" stat. The damage your regular attacks do is directly affected by your "DPS" stat. With a bow, you get a ranged regular attack that hits one mob and is slower. With a dagger, you get a faster attack but it's melee and can hit more than one enemy if they're very close together.

Alrisaia
09-11-2013, 10:24 AM
So I have a question again as I can't really understand the mechanics of the game and I am new.
I just noticed you can use bow skills using dagger or vice versa, and you can use it without having or equip a bow in your bag.

Fact: Bow skills work regardless of the equipment in your inventory – as far as I know even if you have no weapon equipped.

So does the damage of the Bow Skill uses the STATS of the dagger when you cast it and you're equipped with a dagger?

Correct. Your DMG stat is what’s used when calculating damage for any skill – be it a bow, dagger, or even the traps skill.

Come on, don't tell me pro players don't know this, share your knowledge. =P

I don’t know if you’d call me pro or not… I do however use daggers in almost every instance of the game.
The exceptions are as follows:
At hard hitting bosses, I use a bow and my skill map changes slightly to accommodate higher damage output and less support / crowd control skills.
For instances when I run without a tank and my role changes from crowd blending damage dealer to single target assassin – I switch to bow.

For me, and my play style, Daggers have always been my preference, but bows have their place:

Blades
Daggers hit three targets at one time – even with normal autoattack when MOBs are crowded up closely (use your environment and choke points)
Daggers allow me to get in close and enable my Razor Shield to turn into an offensive AND defensive skill (see my blender guide on using RS offensively)
The new Dagger proc is SICK +50% crit? WOW (you should see how much yellow is flying when I’m ‘blending’)
A charged ‘normal’ Dagger attack stuns targets (up to three of them), useful in a run-thru scenario as well as to grab the attention of a hard hitter to peel it off of a mage

Bows
Bows hit one target at a time – normal or charged, but they hit harder
Bows allow you to keep your distance from the melee MOBs and allow you to kite effectively – I know rogues who can solo very difficult elite maps by kiting with a bow and the right skillset
Bows help you hit bosses hard, helping your team to dispatch bosses quickly and efficiently
Additionally Bows can help you kite difficult bosses and beat them while using fewer pots.

Also...

The damage your regular attacks do is directly affected by your "DPS" stat.

My understanding of the DPS stat is simply the following formula and has nothing to do with 'actual damage output'...

DMG * Speed (# of attacks per second) = DPS

So... if a bow has a DMG of 100 and it attacks 1.5x per second your toon’s DPS would read: 150.

DPS can be deceptive since it never accounts for things such as:
a) How many targets you’re hitting when you swing
b) If you have a high crit %
c) How fast you’re pressing the buttons

CouchNinja
09-12-2013, 04:09 AM
Fact: Bow skills work regardless of the equipment in your inventory – as far as I know even if you have no weapon equipped.

Correct. Your DMG stat is what’s used when calculating damage for any skill – be it a bow, dagger, or even the traps skill.

I don’t know if you’d call me pro or not… I do however use daggers in almost every instance of the game.
The exceptions are as follows:
At hard hitting bosses, I use a bow and my skill map changes slightly to accommodate higher damage output and less support / crowd control skills.
For instances when I run without a tank and my role changes from crowd blending damage dealer to single target assassin – I switch to bow.

For me, and my play style, Daggers have always been my preference, but bows have their place:

Blades
Daggers hit three targets at one time – even with normal autoattack when MOBs are crowded up closely (use your environment and choke points)
Daggers allow me to get in close and enable my Razor Shield to turn into an offensive AND defensive skill (see my blender guide on using RS offensively)
The new Dagger proc is SICK +50% crit? WOW (you should see how much yellow is flying when I’m ‘blending’)
A charged ‘normal’ Dagger attack stuns targets (up to three of them), useful in a run-thru scenario as well as to grab the attention of a hard hitter to peel it off of a mage

Bows
Bows hit one target at a time – normal or charged, but they hit harder
Bows allow you to keep your distance from the melee MOBs and allow you to kite effectively – I know rogues who can solo very difficult elite maps by kiting with a bow and the right skillset
Bows help you hit bosses hard, helping your team to dispatch bosses quickly and efficiently
Additionally Bows can help you kite difficult bosses and beat them while using fewer pots.

Also...

My understanding of the DPS stat is simply the following formula and has nothing to do with 'actual damage output'...

DMG * Speed (# of attacks per second) = DPS

So... if a bow has a DMG of 100 and it attacks 1.5x per second your toon’s DPS would read: 150.

DPS can be deceptive since it never accounts for things such as:
a) How many targets you’re hitting when you swing
b) If you have a high crit %
c) How fast you’re pressing the buttons

Thanks. And 1 more, Charged AS and normal AS has no difference or what? Because I can't see a subskill tree of this skill that affects charge.

Alrisaia
09-12-2013, 05:49 AM
Thanks. And 1 more, Charged AS and normal AS has no difference or what? Because I can't see a subskill tree of this skill that affects charge.

charged does more damage

baddiva
09-12-2013, 07:30 AM
simply saying, the fact that every rogue take Aimed Shot, makes bow to be popular weapon among them.
DPS from normal attack is an insignificant stats... ignore them, except there are dagger that have very very fast attack speed that could give damage almost equal to stacked AS.

Sent from my LG-P970 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Alrisaia
09-12-2013, 10:26 AM
simply saying, the fact that every rogue take Aimed Shot, makes bow to be popular weapon among them.
DPS from normal attack is an insignificant stats... ignore them, except there are dagger that have very very fast attack speed that could give damage almost equal to stacked AS.

You don't need a bow to take the AS skill, it works just as well.

If you can find daggers with DMG stat equal to or near a Bow... there's no reason to use the bow.

baddiva
09-12-2013, 01:23 PM
You don't need a bow to take the AS skill, it works just as well.

If you can find daggers with DMG stat equal to or near a Bow... there's no reason to use the bow.

yeah... agreed.. i know that too.. but is it the true dagger build? I think dagger build should be based on dps and dodge and maybe health, using short ranged skills (SP, RS, SV, Trap) but yeahh... you know... it's not as good as I imagine...