PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Obsolete for Pve Bears

powerlevelz
09-13-2013, 02:02 AM
Im not sure if its because of the new updates but it seems there is no use for bears. Players ether want birds for dps or mages to heal for elite bosses and are just booting bears. Multiple mages are just healing and using mana shield through damage while birds dps. Im not saying bears are underpowered, but tanking is basically obsolete now. Theres no real benefit to having one on team.

Waug
09-13-2013, 02:19 AM
ah, sorry to say you're mostly wrong and slidely true in the sense that as str gear is op, other classes also tank with it. in slayer pallies r most wanted cause they can tank and heal the whole team where potions are not available.

tanking does not mean just dodging everything though look at the crazy dodge of a bear full set with stacking dodge.

that huge aoe hit debuff, that great stuns actually make a bear tanker where others can kill mobs easily.

in higher level no doubt bears and str set both are op, and str set should be nerfed, so that other classes can't tank as much as they are doing now.

powerlevelz
09-13-2013, 02:31 AM
ah, sorry to say you're mostly wrong and slidely true in the sense that as str gear is op, other classes also tank with it. in slayer pallies r most wanted cause they can tank and heal the whole team where potions are not available.

tanking does not mean just dodging everything though look at the crazy dodge of a bear full set with stacking dodge.

that huge aoe hit debuff, that great stuns actually make a bear tanker where others can kill mobs easily.

in higher level no doubt bears and str set both are op, and str set should be nerfed, so that other classes can't tank as much as they are doing now.

Only ever played bear class so I know it pretty well. Players are booting bear class constantly, theres no benefit to having one. The damage being done by birds out preforms the stuns, and mages can just heal through everything. Taunt should give a group aoe of armor instead of more self dodge.

tHelonestud
09-13-2013, 02:40 AM
Definitely not true, the bear's aoe skills are very valuable to the team especially if not everyone has elixirs.
You say birds perform stuns although bears have more stun skills.
Bear has the largest max auto damage as well as largest max health.

Suntv
09-13-2013, 03:04 AM
Im not sure if its because of the new updates but it seems there is no use for bears. Players ether want birds for dps or mages to heal for elite bosses and are just booting bears. Multiple mages are just healing and using mana shield through damage while birds dps. Im not saying bears are underpowered, but tanking is basically obsolete now. Theres no real benefit to having one on team.

I really like bears in dungeon runs, except most just scatter and don't even know how to wall-pull, let alone really pull a crowd. As a bird I pull crowds with Goddess, so I don't think you really need Savage for pulling except if you don't know how to play. I get your point, but it's a problem over all ranks. Players don't need any tactics or combo's, it's the daily combo's that make everyone too strong and mobs just die.

NECROREAPER
09-13-2013, 03:27 AM
Thereʻs two major issues with the current way bears in the game are implemented; Most maps (predominately endgame) arenʻt conducive to tanking, and most bears donʻt know how to tank effectively.

A good bear can make do with a map thats not conducive to tanking, so long as his team cooperates with him, however if the bear is no good in the first place then no amount of help will make him any better. Another major issue is that people who donʻt tank as their main donʻt see the value in the bear/tanking class, and as such they donʻt work as a team with the tank or just boot them all together.

Suntv
09-13-2013, 07:51 AM
Another major issue is that people who donʻt tank as their main donʻt see the value in the bear/tanking class, and as such they donʻt work as a team with the tank or just boot them all together.

This is not always the case. I know of a few players, including myself, who don't have a bear as their main, but get frustrated by bad bears and make one themselves. They see the good things a bear can do and become instantly better bears then most of the "main" bears because they know what birds and mages want :) What a good run requires.

Multibird
09-13-2013, 08:15 AM
Sorry to say but rhinos best tankers at elite Bosses.

Roberto077
09-13-2013, 08:19 AM
Sorry to say but rhinos best tankers at elite Bosses.

Dat 63 bonus armor and 44 extra health regen.

Waug
09-13-2013, 08:37 AM
Only ever played bear class so I know it pretty well. Players are booting bear class constantly, theres no benefit to having one. The damage being done by birds out preforms the stuns, and mages can just heal through everything. Taunt should give a group aoe of armor instead of more self dodge.

birds wont survive to outperform by killing mobs and mages wont to heal bro, that's where role playing came to existance obviously if we are not talking elix gr.

also lately classes were doing more things that they are meant to do that's why nerfing was neccesary, so actually we returned from op-ness not fully done yet tho.

Roberto077
09-13-2013, 08:50 AM
birds wont survive to outperform by killing mobs and mages wont to heal bro, that's where role playing came to existance obviously if we are not talking elix gr.

also lately classes were doing more things that they are meant to do that's why nerfing was neccesary, so actually we returned from op-ness not fully done yet tho.

I didn't really understand the second part (pronouns everywhere!) but agreed to the first part.

Oldcoot
09-13-2013, 12:28 PM
I enjoy playing bsm with my bear but you must get way out in front to do some effective crowd control. If you can't your skills will be nullified and you turn into a scatter bear.

Roberto077
09-13-2013, 01:31 PM
Also, I think I know the answer to your problems with getting booted:

Fun Fact: Randoms are really dead gophers lying on a keyboard

Cavoc
09-13-2013, 01:36 PM
This is blasphemy

Itoopeo
09-14-2013, 04:44 AM
Did you know that L25 int mages got more buffed armor than L30 iceberg bears? Mages armor buff is op thats why bears are becoming useless.

Luca Alessandro Bamba
09-14-2013, 06:09 AM

What you say is absolutely true but it has to do with the combo elixir parties. I have all toons, and honestly, a bear is absolutely useless in a bird/mage party running on elixir. This is because, honestly, red dragon slayer is all but not an elite map. It is WAY too easy. If the dragon was capable to hit like koal, than a bear would be an important part of the group, but right now he isnt. A bear still plays well in a party with just one mage or 2 weak ones, but honestly, when i want to do 1 minute runs in slayer, i setup with 3 birds and 2 pallys on combo. Fight lasts less than a minute.

Solution? Hopefully the new level cap will have serious bosses that hit like crazy and need a bear that knows how to tank. Truth is elite map now is way too easy, while it should be something hard that not all players are able to farm.

Inviato dal mio ASUS Transformer Pad TF300TL con Tapatalk 4

CrimsonTider
09-14-2013, 07:11 AM
What you say is absolutely true but it has to do with the combo elixir parties. I have all toons, and honestly, a bear is absolutely useless in a bird/mage party running on elixir. This is because, honestly, red dragon slayer is all but not an elite map. It is WAY too easy. If the dragon was capable to hit like koal, than a bear would be an important part of the group, but right now he isnt. A bear still plays well in a party with just one mage or 2 weak ones, but honestly, when i want to do 1 minute runs in slayer, i setup with 3 birds and 2 pallys on combo. Fight lasts less than a minute.

Solution? Hopefully the new level cap will have serious bosses that hit like crazy and need a bear that knows how to tank. Truth is elite map now is way too easy, while it should be something hard that not all players are able to farm.

Inviato dal mio ASUS Transformer Pad TF300TL con Tapatalk 4

If you take your scenario and remove "elixirs" from the equation, you have elite bosses. People seem to think they have "good" teams when they are juiced up, however, not everyone chugs Thrasher's nor are they granted 3x dailies each day. In your scenario, I have been in groups which kill Elite Red Dragon in the same amount of time, and I play bear. To be honest, I think pallies are obsolete in these maps because their heal is way less than a pure mage. I would much rather have a wand mage over a pally any day.

And a good bear knows they may not be able to control the boss in elite maps, but they CAN control the wave of mobs which spawn in these maps. By taunting and positioning, I can still group the mobs away from the Red Dragon and allow my team to more effectively kill them with combo skills.

Honestly, it is all in perspective and experience.

angeldawn
09-14-2013, 08:25 AM
There are many reasons you may be being booted. It might not be just cuz u are a bear.

Bears aren't useless and can be a benefit to the team in any map. If you think bears are useless, you may need to learn your toon more and could be the reason you are being booted.

JFelt8
09-14-2013, 05:06 PM
As an older player the new maps make u ho hack to ur roots. Its more about taunt, round up, and debuff than using becon. U just gotta remember ur not there for the kill ur the shield for mages and birds so stock up on pots and have a quick finger to survive. In same sentence though mahes and birds need to stay back when they attack and not rush n and steal the agro from us cause ur higher dps makes it harder for us to hold

Caiahar
09-14-2013, 06:52 PM
I adore good bears in pve.
Today in my random runs with pugs, I came across about..5 good bears who knew how to effectively play their class.
If a group works together properly, then the bear is a hero.
in the dungeon with the normal red dragon, there was a good bear who took all the mobs who spawn near the dragon. Oh yes, I had no elixir, others were same or had armor or XP blessings (if they had combos, they would've killed faster than I saw).
Bear beckons the mobs and Hellscreams till their ears explode.
Bird uses thorn wall and a cruel blast (thorns hit mobs AND dragon, and cruel blast hits both too.)
Mage uses lightning and her debuffs (debuffs boss too, light is AOE)
Bear hellscreams again.
Thats how I usually saw in the dragon runs.
The bear kept spamming taunt and beckon to ensure aggro is on him and all mobs come to him, while the others kill the mobs and dragon.

killinclaw
09-24-2013, 10:42 PM
Im really going have to disagree with on this one. My main is a bear and just like Suntv stated in the above post, I also consider my primary goal to be crowd control. Taunt, beckon to walls, stomp. This keeps the the enemies on me so the mages and birds can do their damage. With a decent group, u can cut the time of running through a level in half. Its better for 76ers who doesn't need the xp and just want to farm, and better (quicker) for those who do need it. The assumption that bears or tanking is obsolete is kind of silly, im sorry.

Now the problem I believe, is in that most bears dont understand crowd control. They dont know their role in the group and try to compete with the mages and birds for kills. Then its a scatter party, added to the mages firestorm combo. And when there's 2 or more bears in the party, good luck, 3 or more bears, its a nightmare. Thats the general assumption. Also could be a reason u get booted.
Most bears dont like playing with other bears but I dont have a problem. Even like it when its a good bear, we can work together. Ahh, like the old mt fang days, lol. Some bear buddies and I would do what we call, "ping pong". We'd stay on opposite sides of the hall n beckon/stomp the mobs back and forth. Fun times, fun times.
Now as for dragon slayer? Id need my own posting for that lol, coming soon tho.

Just my two cents, is all :)

Tyranno-
09-25-2013, 09:47 PM
killinclaw is exactly, precisely correct:
"Now the problem I believe, is in that most bears dont understand crowd control. They dont know their role in the group and try to compete with the mages and birds for kills. "

As a bear, you are there to bunch mobs up so mages and birds can come come over and zap them while they're stunned.

I dislike partying with other bears, mainly because most display little common sense. One bear has to be dominant - and that would be the lvl 76 on a thrasher. I can't count how many times a little 67 bear with no lixir will race me for pulls in feast, scattering all over and barely doing any damage - when if they'd let me pull first, the whole group (that survived) would be up against a wall with slivers of life remaining. It's that kind of stupidity that gets bears booted.

I have played with bears who know what they're doing - and "leapfrogging" pulls one after the other is deadly and crazy fun as mobs go flying everywhere, dead.

The problem is most random bears don't know how to play with another bear - in fact, far too many have no clue about crowd control as killinclaw stated, and nothing slows a party down more than a scatterbear.

BlueSkied
09-26-2013, 03:11 AM
I love playing with Ty; he rustles mobs like he owns the map.

-Incessantly

Roberto077
09-26-2013, 05:38 AM
The ONLY time a scatter bear is useful is when there are to many enemies and you need to limit that amount to let your team heal and buff up.

WhoIsThis
09-27-2013, 11:05 PM
Thereʻs two major issues with the current way bears in the game are implemented; Most maps (predominately endgame) arenʻt conducive to tanking, and most bears donʻt know how to tank effectively.

A good bear can make do with a map thats not conducive to tanking, so long as his team cooperates with him, however if the bear is no good in the first place then no amount of help will make him any better. Another major issue is that people who donʻt tank as their main donʻt see the value in the bear/tanking class, and as such they donʻt work as a team with the tank or just boot them all together.

The issue is that good bears are desperately in short supply. Most maps are not conductive to tanking, but I think that most good bears could work with it. The biggest issue is that that first, most players today to not know what makes a good bear, having never seen a good bear. This is a chicken and egg type of problem. The other is that without good bears existing, there is no opportunity for new bears to learn.

Another issue is that a bear is perhaps the only class that can seriously hurt a team. By stomping things all over the place, they can prevent classes with good AOE from ever reaching their potential. It's not at all like good bears that know that their job is to gather and stomp into a wall, leaving the targets vulnerable to AOE.