PDA

View Full Version : Get rid of the op wind buff

Crowsfoot
09-13-2013, 07:44 PM
I personally believe mages need a slight armor buff. But besides that they are perfectly fine. However, it seems they whine waaaaay to much about their spells getting nerfed. Shield was the latest of their complaints; now, to recieve all the benefits, they must charge shield -.- wow what a nerf. You are not supose to get full benefits without charging a skill anyway! And my heal was reduced to around 60% its original strength in PvP. What did I do? I speced juggernaut and moved on. Maybe instead of wanting the skills with most potential upgraded you should try new combos. I recognize not all mages do this, but it is more common. Warriors have crap damage in PvP they now increased it, great. The heal reduction was a little too much for the small damage buff, but overall PvP kills have increased for me so its fine by me ;) My biggest pet peeve is when I hear you ask for buffs in skills that are rediculous and actually get them.

-Now to my main argument. Wind now pushes mages foward instead of backwards. When I heard this I thought "why would this help at all?" The answer is flagging; which is fine now every class has a dash skill. Here's the difference (why wind is OP). Wind dashes the caster TWICE as far as my skyward strike, and applys a movement speed buff. I was trying to use axe throw and skyward strike while using ethyl to slow the smurfs down, but had zero chance. This is why:

1)they dash TWICE as far as skyward strike (I cannot stress that enough).

2)unlike skyward strike (and the rouge dash skill which I have failed to remeber the name of) the mage dash isn't aimed at the nearest mobs. They can have five warriors straight at them and simply brush past them (not to mention it stuns us temporarilly giving the mages an even bigger lead). If I use skyward strike on a wall of five warriors I hit the nearest target and am in immidiate range of any mele attack, I can say with 100% confidence I would die a lot less if I could jump over any enemies I didn't want to fight. Call it "skyward jump over everyone" and it would be the mage equivalent.

3)mages are ALL stun. These slippery devils were hard enough to catch before you gave them the best dash/run-away skill in the game. Clock, fire, and ice can any (by its self) help mages run away as long as they have shield and wind. So there are three builds that make them uncatchable.

-Here are my suggestions (anyof the listed will fix there OP ability to be untouchable):

A) reduce dash for mages so that it isnt so long a distance that other classes have zero chance of catching up.

B) convert wind to a ramming skill where they dash at (not through) mobs as a mini tornaedo, this way it becomes an offensive instead of run-away skill (forces mages w/ wind to fight some what).

C) make wind a longer cool down. As it is currently everytime I'm even close to mele range their wind skill is recharged at they are gone again. If they used less often maybe I would have a chance to land more than two blows of super low damage courtesy of shield.

D) if you remove the push back effect in wind it can become a multiple hit attack. Just as they have the knife storm skill for rouges and the windmill skill for warriors; wind could become "cyclone" where the following happens:
Cyclone: a tornaedo surounds the caster dealing damage every second for 3seconds. All enemies in range are stunned fir 2seconds upon cast
Upgrade 1: duration of cyclone increases to 5seconds.
Upgrade 2: extend radius of cyclone (I will leave exact radius figures up to sts).
pgrade 3: cyclone now increases movement speed and armor for four seconds. Any speed impediments are also removed for four sconds (aka windmill prevents stopping flatters, and flag won't reduce the casters movement speed. This will also be great for escaping the purple goo in shuyal maps).
Upgrade 4: Cyclone deals 15% more damage a hit.

E) give all classes a skill buffed this much. Perhaps change the 5% armor in rally cry to 25% and the movement speed to 40%. And I'm sure rouges would love noxious bolt to leave an acid patch that deals heavy damage similar to Krunch's.

(Obviously option E was ridiculing the wind upgrade, please don't buff noxious bolt or rally cry in these ways)

Taejo
09-13-2013, 08:01 PM
a) reduce dash for mages so that it isnt so long a distance that other classes have zero chance of catching up.

I could live with this. The primary issue I think most sorcerers are having with this new forward dash ability is the total loss of directional control for 3 seconds. Reducing the distance would also reduce the duration of control loss.

B) convert wind to a ramming skill where they dash at (not through) mobs as a mini tornaedo, this way it becomes an offensive instead of run-away skill (forces mages w/ wind to fight some what)

Interesting idea - this is similar to the ability that Shuyal's shadowmancers have. The only concerning issue I foresee being brought up with this idea, however, is that not many sorcerers want an ability which places them in arms reach of mobs/players.

C) make wind a longer cool down. As it is currently everytime I'm even close to mele range their wind skill is recharged at they are gone again. If they used less often maybe I would have a chance to land more than two blows of super low damage courtesy of shield.

I would have to disagree with this suggestion. The cool down is already fair (5.5 seconds). The basis for my reasoning is when looking at Gale's applications in PvE. My biased opinion is that Gale is more of a PvE skill than a PvP one, and I think the Devs were trying to give it more of a PvP appeal when adding this new dash ability. As far as I'm concerned, Gale is pretty much ruined for PvE as it is, and a longer cool down would only detriment it further.

D) give all classes a skill buffed this much. Perhaps change the 5% armor in rally cry to 25% and the movement speed to 40%. And I'm sure rouges would love noxious bolt to leave an acid patch that deals heavy damage similar to Krunch's.

Haha. I think we can fix Gale without resorting to this option :)

-----

I appreciate your PvP-oriented perspective on the new Gale changes. It's quite obvious this new change has created quite a stir - for both PvE and PvP - and requires new ideas with a prompt resolution.

moot
09-13-2013, 08:20 PM
@Taejo I personally like the dash to go to specific target (like SP and skyward smash). The ability to dash without any purpose is silly IMO. We can do like gale (to dash to a group of elite mobs) then cast ice and clock then back off again.

Crowsfoot
09-13-2013, 09:02 PM
@Taejo I personally like the dash to go to specific target (like SP and skyward smash). The ability to dash without any purpose is silly IMO. We can do like gale (to dash to a group of elite mobs) then cast ice and clock then back off again.

Interesting mage perspective. And thank you taejo for your judgment of each sugestion (I did note plan D was a joke though ;) ). I do think that plan B is the most fair after hearing how a mage would use it. This would make it an almost aimed vixen type skill that takes full advantage of the aided survival push back offers. It also solves the major PvP issue. I'm not sure Gael force will ever become a pro party skill (for elite) but the dash type skill is always desired. Lets be honest, if skyward strike didn't have dash it would bot be as pupular. So you never know.

klayble
09-13-2013, 11:57 PM
Slippery devils? We Don't like being called like that :3
And as to your complaint,In my opinion I think the devs made the dash skill to dodge/run away.Because the smurfs(like me) has little health,so I think the devs helped us with that skill.You don't need to stress big time when catching smurfs because once catched,its an automatic kill for us.

Alhuntrazeck
09-14-2013, 02:59 AM
Well, gale rocks in PvP flagging now. So I wouldn't like to see a nerf. However, making its dash shorter to equal rogue's piercer would be good. I'd opt for making the speed boost on uncharged and AoE with charged. Best of both worlds ;)

Drearivev
09-14-2013, 06:48 AM
Lol it's also annoying in PvE.
>I'm on Warrior
>They use Gale with that upgrade
>I use heal to save their butts
>They're gone like the wind (pun intented)
Then we all know what happens next....the poor mage dies a painful death :(

Crowsfoot
09-14-2013, 08:36 AM
Slippery devils? We Don't like being called like that :3
And as to your complaint,In my opinion I think the devs made the dash skill to dodge/run away.Because the smurfs(like me) has little health,so I think the devs helped us with that skill.You don't need to stress big time when catching smurfs because once catched,its an automatic kill for us.

Plenty of mages can fight in PvP and not instantly die. Myunji, Hallun, Haligali, Beatrix, joncheese, emmacheese, etc. In fact the players list have a very high chance of killing me. My argument against wind is now you can NEVER die. As a mage you think this is great. I don't kno, maybe because you NEVER die. I was in PvP 5warriors against 1mage. The mage scored with flag 5 times (we were not flagging at all and got zero points) andthe mage was unable for use to catch, even when we all stood at the base and waited for him to come get the flag. He used fireball (stunning use), grabbed flag and used slag (stunning use), and then dashed away like santa clause. I tried using skyward smash (not even close) then axe thro (couldn't reach), and so did everybody else.

My point of writing this is because this spell is rediculous. This dash is twice the distance of mine, stuns more often, bypasses mobs and players, and applies a speed buff. My dash goes half your distance, and has a 25% to stun (doesn't help if I can't reach you).

Drearivev
09-14-2013, 09:42 AM
Plenty of mages can fight in PvP and not instantly die. Myunji, Hallun, Haligali, Beatrix, joncheese, emmacheese, etc. In fact the players list have a very high chance of killing me. My argument against wind is now you can NEVER die. As a mage you think this is great. I don't kno, maybe because you NEVER die. I was in PvP 5warriors against 1mage. The mage scored with flag 5 times (we were not flagging at all and got zero points) andthe mage was unable for use to catch, even when we all stood at the base and waited for him to come get the flag. He used fireball (stunning use), grabbed flag and used slag (stunning use), and then dashed away like santa clause. I tried using skyward smash (not even close) then axe thro (couldn't reach), and so did everybody else.

I lol'd at this. 5 Warriors couldn't get a Sorcerer, lol.

CallMeOops
09-14-2013, 09:49 AM

My point of writing this is because this spell is rediculous. This dash is twice the distance of mine, stuns more often, bypasses mobs and players, and applies a speed buff. My dash goes half your distance, and has a 25% to stun (doesn't help if I can't reach you).

Agreed the dash should be the same distance as ours, ridiculous if you can not catch the mage but eh I like challenges all the same

drgrimmy
09-14-2013, 11:25 AM
Yep, been great for flagging, but this upgrade not really good for too much else. Yes I changed my spec to a full flagging build, and it is now very easy to flag and much easier to avoid death, but my killing ability is pretty much nothing. Shield, life, and gale only leaves you with one really good offensive skill of your choice. And I must say that a warrior almost may never kill me with this build, but I will also never kill a warrior with this build, and if I come out of the dash right in front of a rogue without my shield ready I will have a very high chance of dying. Yes, great for flagging and makes a smurf hard to kill, but then again a warrior speced for flagging is also almost impossible to stop, even with more than one enemy attacking them the whole way across the map. The one clear problem I see with this skill is that it more easily allows a mage to be off on there own running flags and not staying with the group for survival and helping the group. It kind of kills the group dynamic of pvp and makes it even more of a solo 1v1 type endeavor. Then again warriors are notorious for running off on there own and flagging, and rogues are notorious for running off on there own for quick kills.

@ crowsfoot I think I remember seeing you in a few matches last night. Yes maybe a little OP. There were a few a matches that were not clearly flagging matches and I was able to pretty easily get 5 flags without getting killed in some of those, but then again a lot of people never even attack me. Furthermore, my build was pretty non offensive with gale as my only offensive skill, so I could pretty much not kill anything unless someone was stupid enough to attack me when they were cursed and I was fully shielded. Yes, hugely changes the dynamic of pvp for smurfs, but lets give it time and see before we fully designate it as OP.

Crowsfoot
09-14-2013, 12:44 PM
@drgrimmy, giving it time was my original assumption as well. I ended up respecing several time just to be able to catch up. Here's a build I tried (even used ethyl and frost in different attempts)

5/5 axe throw
3/5 skyward strike(damage and stun)
5/5 windmill
4/5 heal (no taunt)

5/5 movement speed (was that desperate)
5/5 armor
5/5 str
3/5 damage

This is the best chasing build I can think of and it was still useless, even w/ a rouge to land kills after I caught a specific mage that insisted on anoying me. If I can't even Cath you over a period of 9 seperate builds and 11 seperate games (I counted) - and only landed a kill wen the flagger was ignorant enough to attack us straight on and not run awsy - the skill is OP.

Also @drgrimmy if you read my original thread post I did concieve mages need more armor. As it stands these are the averages of armor for each class wen using upgraded myth.

Mages= 1000
Rouges= 1400
Warriors= 1800-2000 (dictated by weapon)

Not to mention mages already have one of the lowest hp stats. But I hardly see why giving mages higher crit and a guarunteed escape skill solves this issue. I am all for raising mage defense (slightly, rouges deserve better defense since they don't have stun to help them draw out fights).

drgrimmy
09-14-2013, 01:25 PM
I hear you. To be honest I think it is just for more of a niche flagging build and not for a general use PvP build. I think you are seeing a lot of mages using it due to the free respec weekend, but I doubt many people will have it as part of their go to PvP build after the free respect weekend is over. I for one will probably drop it for my pvp build once I get 50 more flags because I just don't think I am a really effective killer with it. I guess time will tell, but I for one am not dead set on keeping the skill as it is....

Drearivev
09-14-2013, 01:27 PM
Thing is, Shadow Piercer and Skyward Smash aren't really skills to run away. They are attacks, same way Gale is. But if your Gale has no upgrades (meaning 1/5), then you won't dash away. However, since SP and SS have dashes and leaps even with no upgrades, this means they are meant for attacking, not running. Gale's dash doesn't take you into an enemy if there is one in range. It takes you to whichever direction you want to go in. If it was an attack like SS or SP, then you'd have to be on a deserted island to not attack unwanted attention (which is to say, it dashes very far).

Derezzzed
09-14-2013, 02:12 PM
I think gale should be made just like the shadowmancers redzone attack (shuyal) where they dash at you

~Just my 2 cents

Taejo
09-14-2013, 02:16 PM
Unfortunately, there are far too many perks within the Gale skill tree now which makes it difficult for STG to decide how to shift them around. We can't have them all! I think there's a few good ideas posted here already, and I'd like to add my suggestions:

Gale Force (primary skill) - leave as is.
Outward Squall - leave as is.
Protective Current - change this to a new, individual skill, Blitzing Gust: Charging up Gale Force will also make you dash forward. [Maybe it also does damage? Consider the ideas above about making this similar to Shadow Pierce or Skyward Smash. At the very least, decrease the distance of the dash]
Speed of Wind - change this to a new, but similar skill, Wind Tunnel: [this verbiage captures both the devastation of strong/fast winds and the non-visible barrier they create] Gale Force will increase your run speed by 25% for 5 seconds. Charging up Gale Force will grant you an armor bonus of +50% for 4 seconds.
Weighted Wind - leave as is.

With the Gale Force tree set up in this manner, I now have the option to opt out of the dash skill completely while still maintaining my AE capabilities (which also grants me +50% armor). However, if I do choose to have the dash ability, it is complimented by Outward Squall and the +50% armor bonus. The side-theme of this set up is to have the +run speed a constant buff for those who spec it, and to make Outward Squall the ultimate AE/CC ability - you could also see it as a life-saver since it pushes mobs back and grants you +50% armor to regain your bearings. Lastly, I can still utilize the frontal cone effect of Gale Force (and gain run speed) which a useful CC-type aspect of Gale Force that we can't leave out.

For example, if I enjoy PvE and don't want the dash, I can spec:

Gale Force, Outward Squall, Wind Tunnel, Weighted Wind. This gives me AE/CC capabilities, run speed, and +50% armor.

If I want to flag better, or I like using the dash ability in PvE, I can spec:

Gale Force, Outward Squall, Blitzing Gust, Wind Tunnel, Weighted Wind. This gives me AE/CC capabilities and run speed when not charging my skills, plus the dash and +50% armor when charging it. Outward Squall and Weighted Wind become somewhat optional, depending on your desired capabilities.

Alrisaia
09-14-2013, 03:14 PM
promise I will reply soon. :)

Energizeric
09-14-2013, 04:25 PM
Yeah, it's pretty useless for anything other than flagging. As for your issue of not being able to catch mages carrying the flag, maybe mages will catch up on the flag leaderboards now. It would be nice if a mage had a chance of being #1 on the "top player" leaderboard. Up until now warriors have ruled that leaderboard (I'm pretty sure the #1 player in every season so far has been a warrior). The reason is that most players have gotten all of the non-flagging achievements, so all that is left is flags, and warriors rule that category.

Drearivev
09-14-2013, 04:47 PM
Unfortunately, there are far too many perks within the Gale skill tree now which makes it difficult for STG to decide how to shift them around. We can't have them all! I think there's a few good ideas posted here already, and I'd like to add my suggestions:

Protective Current - change this to a new, individual skill, Blitzing Gust: Charging up Gale Force will also make you dash forward. [Maybe it also does damage? Consider the ideas above about making this similar to Shadow Pierce or Skyward Smash. At the very least, decrease the distance of the dash]
Speed of Wind - change this to a new, but similar skill, Wind Tunnel: [this verbiage captures both the devastation of strong/fast winds and the non-visible barrier they create] Gale Force will increase your run speed by 25% for 5 seconds. Charging up Gale Force will grant you an armor bonus of +50% for 4 seconds.

With the Gale Force tree set up in this manner, I now have the option to opt out of the dash skill completely while still maintaining my AE capabilities (which also grants me +50% armor). However, if I do choose to have the dash ability, it is complimented by Outward Squall and the +50% armor bonus. The side-theme of this set up is to have the +run speed a constant buff for those who spec it, and to make Outward Squall the ultimate AE/CC ability - you could also see it as a life-saver since it pushes mobs back and grants you +50% armor to regain your bearings. Lastly, I can still utilize the frontal cone effect of Gale Force (and gain run speed) which a useful CC-type aspect of Gale Force that we can't leave out.

Gale Force, Outward Squall, Wind Tunnel, Weighted Wind. This gives me AE/CC capabilities, run speed, and +50% armor.

Gale Force, Outward Squall, Blitzing Gust, Wind Tunnel, Weighted Wind. This gives me AE/CC capabilities and run speed when not charging my skills, plus the dash and +50% armor when charging it. Outward Squall and Weighted Wind become somewhat optional, depending on your desired capabilities.
I would most likely take Gale if this were to happen. +1

Zanpakuto
09-14-2013, 04:52 PM
I actually really enjoy playing mage now. Before I was slow, couldn't run, attacks were weak and I switched to rogue. Now we actually stand a chance!

Nature
09-14-2013, 04:59 PM
The distance on dash needs to be cut in half.

Zanpakuto
09-14-2013, 08:08 PM

I like it the way it is now

katish
09-14-2013, 08:21 PM

Just no.

Psykopathic28
09-15-2013, 02:01 AM
Just to inform you a few of your statements are incorrect. We do not going twice as far. 1.4x at best. Also we are stopped for a second / slowed towards the end of our slide. On top of this rogues have a much lower cool down time which allows them to still be far faster even when I use slag and 5% move speed.

Also we cannot control our direction every time. If we are close enough it will still pull us towards and past our enemies in the wrong direction which 75% of the time results in our death. See my post in sorc discussion for further wind details.

chitgoks
09-15-2013, 03:55 AM
sts should not have modified the wind skill in the first place. and it's all because of pvp

what about pve then? this has rendered this skill totally useless. i cant control where i want to be. this forward dash should only be made available when a player is in pvp.

when a player is playing pve, remove this attribute. it is annoying and useless

i like the charging wind gale because it lets me push mobs away from me when im in a pinch and it can also stun them. also right now, my mana gets depleted too fast because i cannot use charged gales or else that forward dash will be the death of me

and those suggesting cutting the dash distance in half. no. let it be available in pvp. but scrap it when player plays in pve

Crowsfoot
09-15-2013, 07:52 AM
Yeah, it's pretty useless for anything other than flagging. As for your issue of not being able to catch mages carrying the flag, maybe mages will catch up on the flag leaderboards now. It would be nice if a mage had a chance of being #1 on the "top player" leaderboard. Up until now warriors have ruled that leaderboard (I'm pretty sure the #1 player in every season so far has been a warrior). The reason is that most players have gotten all of the non-flagging achievements, so all that is left is flags, and warriors rule that category.

Warriors have no chance at PvP kills being we are always ksd. We also have no chance at timed runs unless we get a maul and samuel (but we can still only have a chance at some elite dungeons. So forget the crypts). All classes have there ninche, for warriors it is by far flagging (please give us something -.-). Your comment on catching up to the lb is irrelevant as is because each class gets ther own leader board (except timed runs of course). Mages shouldn't be the best at everything.

Crowsfoot
09-15-2013, 07:56 AM
Just to inform you a few of your statements are incorrect. We do not going twice as far. 1.4x at best. Also we are stopped for a second / slowed towards the end of our slide. On top of this rogues have a much lower cool down time which allows them to still be far faster even when I use slag and 5% move speed.

Also we cannot control our direction every time. If we are close enough it will still pull us towards and past our enemies in the wrong direction which 75% of the time results in our death. See my post in sorc discussion for further wind details.

1) its twice as far. I made a mage and tested it in the guild hall. From where the center isle in the "forest stone" guild hall begins I can go about 60% down the row w/ skyward strike. My mage went all the way to my stash -.-

2) you aim it by pointing your character in which direction you want to go -.- I figured that out pretty fast in PvP. Otherwise I probably would have caught a mage or two.

PS: you were the first mage I saw using this skill to flag psykopathic. Kill and I had zero chance of catching you and you know it. And distorting the properties of gale force is easilly double checked w/ a mage and a warrior (even friends) since it is respec weekend.

anibiag
09-15-2013, 09:00 AM
they must charge shield -.- wow what a nerf.
You think it a little nerf? Lol, it a terrible nerf for mages. Mages did't deserve to be nerfed, but they still got, and you are still dissatisfied? Omg.
Mages never had dash skill and couldn't flag normally, and now, when they have at least stupid skill, actually useful only for moving, you start crying, bravo.
It's 2x as your skills? Lol. Dont you care that it not 2x distance even though it takies more time to dash that you skill? Don't you care that its very hard to control direction and using it in fight mages just fly away from enemies? Don't you care that your skill is good everywhere and helps to attack?

Psykopathic28
09-15-2013, 10:23 AM
1) its twice as far. I made a mage and tested it in the guild hall. From where the center isle in the "forest stone" guild hall begins I can go about 60% down the row w/ skyward strike. My mage went all the way to my stash -.-

2) you aim it by pointing your character in which direction you want to go -.- I figured that out pretty fast in PvP. Otherwise I probably would have caught a mage or two.

PS: you were the first mage I saw using this skill to flag psykopathic. Kill and I had zero chance of catching you and you know it. And distorting the properties of gale force is easilly double checked w/ a mage and a warrior (even friends) since it is respec weekend.

Ok just close this thread now we figured out the problem, he's basing his opinions off fight me instead of a normal Mage hehe. I have done my tests also btw. Raced a few diff rogues down long hallway stretches. Rogue wins race 100% of time. I do not always get to choose where I go I just have to be alot closer to you to get drawn towards my target. As I said in my sorc discussion thread, the mechanical differences in mages dash compared to the other classes is completely logic based and wouldn't make alot of sense to make them all the exact same IMO.

Crowsfoot
09-15-2013, 12:37 PM
Ok just close this thread now we figured out the problem, he's basing his opinions off fight me instead of a normal Mage hehe. I have done my tests also btw. Raced a few diff rogues down long hallway stretches. Rogue wins race 100% of time. I do not always get to choose where I go I just have to be alot closer to you to get drawn towards my target. As I said in my sorc discussion thread, the mechanical differences in mages dash compared to the other classes is completely logic based and wouldn't make alot of sense to make them all the exact same IMO.

Read my whole thread. And you would know I agreed you need a dash -.- also making you have to charge shield wasn't a nerf. It was a glitch that you recieved full benefits without charging -.- obviously rouges have the farthest dash but they hit the nearest target limmiting distance dramatically. This leads to my personal opinion that wind should be a bash type skill like the dash of the other two classes.

It apears to me your purpose on posting here is to deny any real problems with this skill. Because you know you can get unlimmited flags with it and it benefits you 100%

Crowsfoot
09-15-2013, 12:40 PM
Again read my thread in its entirety I offered constructive ideas to help this skill become better (as has taejo and I truley value his opinions). I am not happy with this skill due to it being a 100% get away chance. Also its only real purpose is flagging. Whena push back, armor increasing, dash, and stun skill has real potential in pve. Also I hav added a new adaptation to this skill in my original bulk writing.

Psykopathic28
09-15-2013, 02:23 PM
I have also added ideas to change the skill constructively in other threads. I'm just trying to get you to realize that I CANNOT always go the direction I want. Add me in game and I show you some time.

Joncheese
09-16-2013, 03:11 AM
I personally believe mages need a slight armor buff. But besides that they are perfectly fine. However, it seems they whine waaaaay to much about their spells getting nerfed. Shield was the latest of their complaints; now, to recieve all the benefits, they must charge shield -.- wow what a nerf. You are not supose to get full benefits without charging a skill anyway! And my heal was reduced to around 60% its original strength in PvP. What did I do? I speced juggernaut and moved on. Maybe instead of wanting the skills with most potential upgraded you should try new combos. I recognize not all mages do this, but it is more common. Warriors have crap damage in PvP they now increased it, great. The heal reduction was a little too much for the small damage buff, but overall PvP kills have increased for me so its fine by me ;) My biggest pet peeve is when I hear you ask for buffs in skills that are rediculous and actually get them.

-Now to my main argument. Wind now pushes mages foward instead of backwards. When I heard this I thought "why would this help at all?" The answer is flagging; which is fine now every class has a dash skill. Here's the difference (why wind is OP). Wind dashes the caster TWICE as far as my skyward strike, and applys a movement speed buff. I was trying to use axe throw and skyward strike while using ethyl to slow the smurfs down, but had zero chance. This is why:

1)they dash TWICE as far as skyward strike (I cannot stress that enough).

2)unlike skyward strike (and the rouge dash skill which I have failed to remeber the name of) the mage dash isn't aimed at the nearest mobs. They can have five warriors straight at them and simply brush past them (not to mention it stuns us temporarilly giving the mages an even bigger lead). If I use skyward strike on a wall of five warriors I hit the nearest target and am in immidiate range of any mele attack, I can say with 100% confidence I would die a lot less if I could jump over any enemies I didn't want to fight. Call it "skyward jump over everyone" and it would be the mage equivalent.

3)mages are ALL stun. These slippery devils were hard enough to catch before you gave them the best dash/run-away skill in the game. Clock, fire, and ice can any (by its self) help mages run away as long as they have shield and wind. So there are three builds that make them uncatchable.

-Here are my suggestions (anyof the listed will fix there OP ability to be untouchable):

A) reduce dash for mages so that it isnt so long a distance that other classes have zero chance of catching up.

B) convert wind to a ramming skill where they dash at (not through) mobs as a mini tornaedo, this way it becomes an offensive instead of run-away skill (forces mages w/ wind to fight some what).

D) if you remove the push back effect in wind it can become a multiple hit attack. Just as they have the knife storm skill for rouges and the windmill skill for warriors; wind could become "cyclone" where the following happens:
Cyclone: a tornaedo surounds the caster dealing damage every second for 3seconds. All enemies in range are stunned fir 2seconds upon cast
Upgrade 1: duration of cyclone increases to 5seconds.
Upgrade 2: extend radius of cyclone (I will leave exact radius figures up to sts).
pgrade 3: cyclone now increases movement speed and armor for four seconds. Any speed impediments are also removed for four sconds (aka windmill prevents stopping flatters, and flag won't reduce the casters movement speed. This will also be great for escaping the purple goo in shuyal maps).
Upgrade 4: Cyclone deals 15% more damage a hit.

E) give all classes a skill buffed this much. Perhaps change the 5% armor in rally cry to 25% and the movement speed to 40%. And I'm sure rouges would love noxious bolt to leave an acid patch that deals heavy damage similar to Krunch's.

(Obviously option E was ridiculing the wind upgrade, please don't buff noxious bolt or rally cry in these ways)

IMO the skill does have to be nerfed. That being said we also need a dash so maybe just a reduction in the distance of the dash is required. Suggestions A+B i would be completely fine with, especially opt B. I love the thought of a Tornado ramming into people. With the end 'ram' inflicting dmg and stun on 3+ mobs (giving option to add more mobs as a skill improvement) to make it still a kind of AOE.

Also the nerf would mean that PVP would be more of a level playing field. There should be little complaint from us Smurfs tbh as if you can play well enough you dont need a dash anyway (im not for one moment suggesting i am btw). Our stun skills when used correctly can easily disable any opponent giving us enough time to casually swagger away wiggling our shiny blue arses .

What everyone has to remember is that our class is ultimately a CC class and if you want a class where you need stealthy speed you should pick a rogue, they are just as squishy as us, and if you speak to any rogue they will tell you they die alot more than the other classes, making their dash a necessity . Like Crow said earlier in the post each class specialises in its own area of expertise and theoretically as a mage you should never be put in the position where you need to be able to dash away. We are not assassins, we are not tanks (though apparently i think i am), we should be the ones inflicting dmg from outside the carnage rather than in the middle (and i know Crow and Kill will be glad im actually acknowledging this at last :D ).

This is just my opinion (though i am mainly a PVE player and a fairly new PVPer), and i would welcome a nerf/alteration to the Wind skill using your idea in opt B. Sorry if you other smurfs disagree, but i dont believe that we should keep this skill as it is, just for the benefit of flagging. :)

Emmacheese
09-16-2013, 05:04 AM
Jon pretty summed it up I agree with what he said :encouragement: I tried it in pvp yesterday and I'm not going to lie I had a blast but I can see how annoying it is for other classes!

This needs to Happen!

Rare
09-16-2013, 07:25 AM
This post is so ironic

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Alrisaia
09-16-2013, 09:26 AM
So,

I promised I would chime in on this thread with my thoughts and, well here goes:

Currently I believe the wind skill is on the right track. There’s a few things that need some tweaking, but I believe STS made the right decision to modify the skill and provide mages with a dash ability, additionally I think that they applied that dash skill to the right skill, it just doesn't make much sense on any others.

That being said, here are some thoughts with regards to the skill and how it has and or will affect both PVP and PVE scenarios.

Also – I was in a few matches with Psyko who was flagging the whole match and I was able to catch him a few times, and while he’s a tough bugger to kill, I was able to do so. Most notably I caught him on a few instances where he ran into the wall or I was able to stun him with Slag as he ran past me. I was able to catch him with SP also if he was ahead of me and used Daggers (charged normal attack) to stun him if my pet hadn’t ‘caught up’ to us yet.

Problem(s):
The dash is directional and does not ‘go to the nearest target’
Mages are ‘out of commission’ too long after the dash
Outward Squall is no longer a viable PVE skill since a mage cannot control where they end up
The dash sends a mage further than Skysmash or Shadow Piercer

Impact(s)
The impact of the Dash being Directional enables mages to control their direction and makes this a flight skill instead of a fight skill. It’s obvious that this skill is now a viable option for mages to use as a way to ‘retreat’ from battle or flag in PVP as opposed to using this skill to ‘control’ groups of mobs and push them into the environment walls or corners.
There’s such a long global cool down on this skill that it puts a mage in danger after its use.
I’ve only met a few mages who knew how to use this skill really well in PVE, but essentially by adding this dash to the charged version, they have negated the effectiveness of Gale Force’s Outward Squall skill in effective crowd control.
This means less mana consumption to move the same distance. SS and SP are both relative mana hogs for toons who have relatively speaking, low mana anyway…

Solution(s)
So, I’m not by any means saying that I have an end all be all solution. But I’m happy to throw some thoughts up on the white-board :)
I believe that giving mages a dash skill is a nice addition to the class and sort of necessary, but the problems with the current setup is cause for concern. I believe that in order to make Gale Force a skill that’s a feasible PVE skill and not just something mages would use for flagging, the following changes could be made to the skill and give it some viability in both PVE and PVP (for flagging, which I’m assuming is all its used for anyway…).

The dash should
a) not require charging
b) not be added onto a subskill since neither SP nor SS require sub skills in order to take advantage of the dashing feature
Also: The uncharged version should have a ‘chance’ to stun (not sure if that’s how it currently is or not, but based on what I propose below I think it would make it ‘fair’)

Some additional thoughts:
I don’t ever see a mage ‘wanting’ to get into a melee fight with any toon or MOB, thus I don’t believe it should send a mage at a target. I believe it should remain a ‘flight’ skill rather than a ‘fight’ skill.
Lastly:
I think the devs had it right with the backwards dash – with one exception. It was reversed… The Dash should shoot the toon forward and the wind should fire backwards. This does a few things:
1 – it enables a mage to continue to use outward squall subskill as a quality strategic PVE skill
2 – mages can still ‘dash’ to speed up their movement, and wouldn’t need to charge the skill to do so
3 – while dashing they still get the benefit of damaging both MOBs or other PVP toons that are hot on their tail

To wrap it this all up in a nice bow for people who don't want to read a wall of text:
Keep Dash
Put Outward Squall back to the way it was
Change Gale Force to not require a charged attack to dash
Shoot wind out of the toon’s rearend and dash them forward (essentially the reverse of what the skill was prior to last week)
Shorten the ‘global cooldown’ related to the dash at the end of it to reduce the mage's vulnerable time

Crowsfoot
09-16-2013, 09:36 AM
IMO the skill does have to be nerfed. That being said we also need a dash so maybe just a reduction in the distance of the dash is required. Suggestions A+B i would be completely fine with, especially opt B. I love the thought of a Tornado ramming into people. With the end 'ram' inflicting dmg and stun on 3+ mobs (giving option to add more mobs as a skill improvement) to make it still a kind of AOE.

Also the nerf would mean that PVP would be more of a level playing field. There should be little complaint from us Smurfs tbh as if you can play well enough you dont need a dash anyway (im not for one moment suggesting i am btw). Our stun skills when used correctly can easily disable any opponent giving us enough time to casually swagger away wiggling our shiny blue arses .

What everyone has to remember is that our class is ultimately a CC class and if you want a class where you need stealthy speed you should pick a rogue, they are just as squishy as us, and if you speak to any rogue they will tell you they die alot more than the other classes, making their dash a necessity . Like Crow said earlier in the post each class specialises in its own area of expertise and theoretically as a mage you should never be put in the position where you need to be able to dash away. We are not assassins, we are not tanks (though apparently i think i am), we should be the ones inflicting dmg from outside the carnage rather than in the middle (and i know Crow and Kill will be glad im actually acknowledging this at last :D ).

My option B seems the most popular. Lets be honest, besides the purple goo (essentially clock) the ram attack of the shuyal mages is most powerful. They stun you and change position (changing position gives up the aggro fire and ice pull) and stun is the best weapon for a mage. Perhaps keep gale force exactly as is and just concertgoers ram. If the mage can burst into the middle of some mobs (briefly seperating them) and then drop their click (you are in the middle so you hit everyone) you will still have time to return to the outside of the pack (on account of stun). All around a combo like that gives me time to regain aggro with windmill, and of course, heal the party. Additionally this boost in winds PvE power makes it less OP for running away in PvP. This way the positives over way the negatives (across the board, I know this is the best flagging skill. However its not fair for other classes right now).

Erdnase
09-16-2013, 11:11 AM

I agree with taejo's layout here. For the dash, reduce the distance (we can do without that final slide), get rid of the small stun that comes after the slide, and cause to ram targets in front or to the sides. This means we couldnt just run through a group, we would ram into targets, but only if they are in front or to the side, we would not ram behind us (similar to how fire ball is without 1st upgrade). This would help in attacking for both pve and pvp, so we dont run past our targets, but we would still have the option to run from whats behind us. Yet, with the small distance decrease, we wouldnt be uncatchable.

Crowsfoot
09-16-2013, 11:29 AM
I agree with taejo's layout here. For the dash, reduce the distance (we can do without that final slide), get rid of the small stun that comes after the slide, and cause to ram targets in front or to the sides. This means we couldnt just run through a group, we would ram into targets, but only if they are in front or to the side, we would not ram behind us (similar to how fire ball is without 1st upgrade). This would help in attacking for both pve and pvp, so we dont run past our targets, but we would still have the option to run from whats behind us. Yet, with the small distance decrease, we wouldnt be uncatchable.

Sounds great :) and ty taejo

Taejo
09-16-2013, 12:15 PM
Ok it appears we have two very insightful threads going on at once about this. Based on the majority of suggestions/desires posted in this thread (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?115962-Feedback-on-New-Gale-Force-Devs-please-read-)&p=1267982#post1267982), I have tailored my idea so that dash is not a charged ability. You can check it out there. (sorry Crow, not trying to take away from your thread, but I don't want to spam the forums either)

Crowsfoot
09-16-2013, 02:42 PM
Ok it appears we have two very insightful threads going on at once about this. Based on the majority of suggestions/desires posted in this thread (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?115962-Feedback-on-New-Gale-Force-Devs-please-read-)&p=1267982#post1267982), I have tailored my idea so that dash is not a charged ability. You can check it out there. (sorry Crow, not trying to take away from your thread, but I don't want to spam the forums either)

Lol, if I knew there had been another thread I would have never posted this one. I was unable to find one though when I started this one.

-no
09-17-2013, 12:22 AM
This made me laugh. 5 ganging wars couldn't catch a Mage, lol.

Merching
09-17-2013, 02:12 AM
I think there is a thought behind this, thats why sts made it this way.
I guess it has to be something with the lb. They'll probably buff it later when they noticed that it dont need that "extra buff" anymore.