PDA

View Full Version : Multiple tribes with the same name

Dizzy
09-17-2013, 09:00 AM
I've brought this up before, but this is a horrible idea. With non-unique user names and non-unique tribe names, you can have dozens of Dragon Masters from dozens of Shadow Dragons. The tribe I was in before had 3 other tribes with the same name, and the one I'm in now has at least 4. When people are in chat they're ID'd by their tribe, and they can dupe noobs into thinking they're recruiting for a top tribe when they're just a clone. Or when someone attacks you, you might think they're from a big name tribe when actually they've just stolen the name. I'm sure there are other misuses and abuses this could lead to. Mostly though, it muddies the waters and makes things unnecessarily confusing. I know there's nothing we can do about the lack of unique player names, but can you put the kibosh on duplicate tribe names before it gets worse? Please?

Applejaqs
09-17-2013, 10:45 AM
Agreed

csb
09-17-2013, 04:07 PM
I once played in an online MMORG that accidentally allowed duplicate names after an update. And, they merged two servers, so there were even more duplicate names. What they did was go through all the duplicates and keep the original name, but put X's at the end of duplicate names. Then, people had the option of renaming their character if they didn't like the X's at the end of the name. It cleaned up all the duplicates.

After I created my account, I did see one other person with my name. So, I guess I would have to rename my account. But, this is what I have been expecting all along. I just thought STS would have said, "oops" and fixed it sooner before it became more difficult. The longer they wait to fix it, the more people they will upset.

Dizzy
09-17-2013, 04:22 PM
That's a good solution CSB.

With the current system, what's to stop another ffa from starting up another Sons of Anarchy?

Cremated
09-18-2013, 10:28 AM
What if players like me started a new account with same name. And can't delete other account thus have to change my name (Swag)

Dizzy
09-18-2013, 10:49 AM
That's not really different than in most games. In most games you CAN'T create an account with a name that's already in use. And if STS ever decided to go to unique user names, I'd have to change my name too, because there are probably 1000 people with my ign, heh.

But I'm far less concerned with duplicate player names than I am with duplicate tribe names. That's a real problem, and one that can be fixed before it gets too out of hand. And one that can be complicated because duplicate player names are also allowed.

Itoopeo
09-28-2013, 01:11 AM
Lol even Finlandia has 3 "fan" tribes. :)