PDA

View Full Version : Scammers, a Detriment to the gaming society.

Solid
09-19-2013, 05:20 PM
This is not a rant, this is a suggestion that would be beneficial for the arcane legends environment.

scam
[skam] noun, verb, scammed, scam·ming.

noun

A fraudulent scheme, especially for making a quick profit; swindle.

So far, STS have let scammers roam free in AL.

-Dev Impersonation
-Deception
Scams come in many forms, why do people scam?

Scamming provides a source of quick gold for people without morals.

Scams happen everyday and STS does not take ACTION.

Sts should BAN scammers, they ban for language but not scamming?

IRL- Is verbal assault or fraud going to get you a biggger sentence?

FRAUD.

So sts, pls ban scammers- it will only benefit the game.

Azepeiete
09-19-2013, 05:21 PM
Plz ban scammers and gimme all their gold. K thanks

Lisa Huber
09-19-2013, 05:26 PM
i will support that!
*thumbs up*

also the trading function is not perfect (only trading 4 items)...so i got scammed in a trade which should goes over more than 10 trading rounds (40 lockeds + money + myth item)
so i got the money part but never saw one of these 40 locked crates (greetings to "Tankerpaul" hoped u had fun with these).

Please STS, take this thread serious and try anything against these scammers...

Justg
09-19-2013, 06:15 PM
We do ban scammers when we catch them. We don't let scammers "run free" in the game.

It takes a huge CS load to verify each case, so we prefer to give you the tools that you need to not get scammed.

We understand that some additional functionality would help. The commas in numbers is a great idea.

What else would help you guys?

Shadow217
09-19-2013, 06:24 PM
Fix the trading window it doesnt work well this probably doesn't cause much trouble but rather not have the problem in the first place. Right

Talking about when you have to spam the confirm button because it takes a few tries sometimes.

Wutzgood
09-19-2013, 06:30 PM
Think of the confirm button on the trade window signing your signature to a contract. If you hit confirm you are responsible for the results. If they banned everyone that said someone paid less in a trade there would be no players left. At least 3 people a day threaten to report me for not going along with their scams.

Psykopathic28
09-19-2013, 06:39 PM
Well you already have to press ok twice Maybe the really foolish people need even another warning in the form of a message that says "please check over your trade one last time" after pressing ok on the confirmation screen. Lmao

And of course the commas would be great.

Shadow217
09-19-2013, 08:06 PM
Its just annoying when it doesn't work

mapenjay
09-19-2013, 08:15 PM
the price of change name is cheap, make it 500 or 1k plats, scammers can roam freely when they change name

Chaim Nail
09-19-2013, 09:11 PM
One of the ways eBay tries to defeat scammers who change their name is that when you view a users profile you can click-through to see their past username(s) if they've changed it, and if you do change name then you get a little icon next to your username for a month indicating a recent change.

Perhaps similar additions could be made to AL? Being able to see that someone changed their username within the past 4 weeks would be handy as a deterrant for someone to pull scams then simply 'disappear' by changing their name.

Prahasit Prahi
09-19-2013, 11:05 PM
We do ban scammers when we catch them. We don't let scammers "run free" in the game.

It takes a huge CS load to verify each case, so we prefer to give you the tools that you need to not get scammed.

We understand that some additional functionality would help. The commas in numbers is a great idea.

What else would help you guys?

So u guys ban scammers oh ic
Let me check I'll say an IGN let me know weather that account is banned or he himself deleted this

Ign: dirtydoesnt
Let me know so that atleast we may feel happy with that

Maunyabastian
09-20-2013, 12:45 AM
Stupid people always get scammed. Be smart. Thank's.

saiyen
09-20-2013, 01:50 AM
So u guys ban scammers oh ic
Let me check I'll say an IGN let me know weather that account is banned or he himself deleted this

Ign: dirtydoesnt
Let me know so that atleast we may feel happy with that

I think they have better things to work on.

Faze
09-20-2013, 02:37 AM
Justg question dont you think if you could send a screen shot in a report it would help get rid of scammers i know a guy that brags he scammed enough to get full mythic armour and weapon plus have 3.5m left

Energizeric
09-20-2013, 02:39 AM
Justg, see my post in the other thread about the issues with the confirm button not always working. If that was fixed and if commas were added, I think we would be a lot closer to eliminating most of the scams.

Faze
09-20-2013, 02:47 AM
Stupid people always get scammed. Be smart. Thank's.

Thats not 100% right you dont have to be stupid to get scammed the double click does not work right all the time you have to press it more then one at times and sometime you end up hitting accept on 2nd trade window so being smart you can also get scammed by a error in trade like this

matanofx
09-20-2013, 03:12 AM
Yes, dumb people who try to buy "plat code" or listen to people telling them "i can double your mythics" do get scammed

But thats not most cases, people usually lose gold due to the 0 dissapearing scam+trade button lag, you cant blame people for those.

Once those two are fixed i feel we could move on to deal with the other types of scammers.

Faze
09-20-2013, 03:18 AM
Yes, dumb people who try to buy "plat code" or listen to people telling them "i can double your mythics" do get scammed

But thats not most cases, people usually lose gold due to the 0 dissapearing scam+trade button lag, you cant blame people for those.

Once those two are fixed i feel we could move on to deal with the other types of scammers.

I agree it does need to be fixed like i said on another post adding a red ! to items or money that has been changed would help new players out that dont know about scams

CallMeOops
09-20-2013, 03:56 AM
Scammers are just a way of life :) at some point most of us have been scammed, whether in STS or in another game. Just a way of life I see it where you basically have to move on & be wiser next time.

Faze
09-20-2013, 04:07 AM
Scammers are just a way of life :) at some point most of us have been scammed, whether in STS or in another game. Just a way of life I see it where you basically have to move on & be wiser next time.

This is true you can fuss all you want but it will never get your stuff back but also fixing the trade problem will help out alot

Maunyabastian
09-20-2013, 04:14 AM
Thats not 100% right you dont have to be stupid to get scammed the double click does not work right all the time you have to press it more then one at times and sometime you end up hitting accept on 2nd trade window so being smart you can also get scammed by a error in trade like this

Hmm so be more careful.

KingMartin
09-20-2013, 04:30 AM
There should be definitely more slots in the trade window.

Once I sold weapon for gold, Mali and 10 crates.

I was lucky this time that I meat an honest guy, but not many were as lucky as me. After trading Mali and gold, he entered trade again and gave me the promised crates. I had to rely on my sixth sense only.

Faze
09-20-2013, 04:31 AM

Hmm so be more careful.

Cant be careful all the time with this error when you press accept the 1st time and it does nothing and keeps on doing it then when it does go to 2nd trade it auto hits accept

Alrisaia
09-20-2013, 06:35 AM
there will always be people who try to scam. sts has already added a number of deterrents to help us identify scams and now adding commas seems like it's on their radar.

you have to be cautious, chances are if someone is offering you too much for your item approach the trade with extreme scrutiny.
every time a bank comes out with a security measure to protect you, a scammer thinks of a way to circumvent it, there's no difference here.

the comma trick really only works because people are still just not careful enough.
personally i would much rather see a simple solution to prevent scamming and have the dev team work on game content... don't like counting zeros?
sell your items for a little less... instead of 10000000 why not sell for 9987000 you lose 13k gold... consider it insurance

Wutzgood
09-20-2013, 08:17 AM
This topic gave me a good laugh this morning. Thank you all.

I can understand getting caught by the confirm button lagging the first time but if you know its gonna happen then don't spam it. Press it then wait to see if it works. If you rushed through it or didn't count 0s I don't see it as a scam. You just screwed up.

Zeus
09-20-2013, 08:24 AM

I can understand getting caught by the confirm button lagging the first time but if you know its gonna happen then don't spam it. Press it then wait to see if it works. If you rushed through it or didn't count 0s I don't see it as a scam. You just screwed up.

So because the "bank" has a loophole where people didn't avoid the glitch like they should have, the "bank" isn't the problem but the people who use the "bank" are?

Sorry, but that makes no sense & definitely does not fly in the real world.

Right now, STS states that the trade window is a SECURE trade, but as long as this bug exists...it'll never be. I only know about it because it is present in all their games.

Rare
09-20-2013, 08:26 AM
now adding commas seems like it's on their radar.

the comma trick really only works because people are still just not careful enough.

don't like counting zeros? sell your items for a little less... instead of 10000000 why not sell for 9987000 you lose 13k gold... consider it insurance

This is kind of the problem. "On the radar". This has been suggested for months if not years across all their games. If it affected platinum sales somehow, it would be done. Careful or not, things happen sometimes. This IS a game we are playing. We shouldn't have to be intently focused at every second. The developers should put in easy protections (like commas) rather than multiple trade windows that don't click properly.

I get what you say about the zeros. But that's not a solution. The solution is to fix the problem in my opinion. Not to shift the burden to someone else.

You're absolutely right. Just because someone was tricked visually and maybe distracted by things in real life, we shouldn't find ways to prevent scammers (because that's what they are) from being able to continue ruining games for people. Makes perfect sense.

Wutzgood
09-20-2013, 08:29 AM
So because the "bank" has a loophole where people didn't avoid the glitch like they should have, the "bank" isn't the problem but the people who use the "bank" are?

Sorry, but that makes no sense & definitely does not fly in the real world.

Right now, STS states that the trade window is a SECURE trade, but as long as this bug exists...it'll never be. I only know about it because it is present in all their games.

Actually this is how it goes in real life also. If you agree to something and sign a contract with a bank you are stuck with it. Someone actually reversed this on the bank recently and sent them back a contract that he edited. They didn't read it an sent him his credit card and now he has no limit and no fees for life. And the bank has to follow it since they signed his contract. It all comes down to reading and being careful.

Rare
09-20-2013, 08:33 AM
Actually this is how it goes in real life also. If you agree to something and sign a contract with a bank you are stuck with it. Someone actually reversed this on the bank recently and sent them back a contract that he edited. They didn't read it an sent him his credit card and now he has no limit and no fees for life. And the bank has to follow it since they signed his contract. It all comes down to reading and being careful.

Yeah, we'll see in the end who wins that one :)

FYI... this is a game. Something the we all play to enjoy.

Wutzgood
09-20-2013, 08:39 AM
Lol it was on the news. The judge said that the bank should have read the contract and he gets to keep the card with no limit or fees for life. Its their fault for not reading the contract. The ONLY time you have to be careful in this game is while making trades. If you are not there is no one else to blame.

Hinataa
09-20-2013, 08:43 AM
I agree with this thread.

basketholic209
09-21-2013, 08:00 AM
Justg, see my post in the other thread about the issues with the confirm button not always working. If that was fixed and if commas were added, I think we would be a lot closer to eliminating most of the scams.

Totally agree, we have to confirm like 3 or 4 times, and the next confirm button is at the same spot, move it elsewhere :)
if these were done, as Energizeric said, scammers will have a hard time to scam people :)

zappaxe
09-21-2013, 08:14 AM
the price of change name is cheap, make it 500 or 1k plats, scammers can roam freely when they change name

Something tells me this wouldn't be very popular with the rest of the players...

And I don't understand why there are people who are trying to justify scamming. (If you hit confirm then it's your fault!) when it's obvious they are taking advantage of a glitch or someone's laggy device. I mean honestly I've seen stuff like this and you would be singing a different tune if you were subject to this.

Ever heard the expression "don't feed the trolls"? Well then perhaps you will also not feed the scammers. Tyvm.

Edit: first line is response to mapenjay. The rest has nothing to do with that quote.

Zeus
09-21-2013, 10:13 AM

Irrelevant example, as it does not apply to the glitch I said.

For example, say if there was a loophole to withdraw too much money in an ATM due to the interface lagging, like it does in AL. Now, who's fault is that?

You're telling me that people are supposed to "know" which ATMs have this bug & be careful around them? Ok, let's say that to be true.

Now, apply this to AL. When the trade button sticks, especially during a lag, it's dangerous because sometimes the interaction is lost in the lag. NoW, you're saying that a user should be able to recognize a bugged system & the possibility of it not working?

I'm sorry, but a bank would be held accountable for losing people's money for loopholes like this. Your example of reading a contract is totally irrelevant when applying it to the glitch existing in game.

P.S: Apologie for any errors or extra spaces, iOS 7 is a pain in the bum to use and it often has programming errors like putting in extra spaces when I never specified for it to.