PDA

View Full Version : The friend request system really needs an overhaul..

eeknoh
09-22-2013, 06:58 PM
So.. I know I'm not the only one who can literally get 30-50 friend requests a day. This is one of the most annoying things about this game for me. I zoned into paradise pier today, and zoned back out within 10 seconds. In those 10 seconds I got 4 friend requests. It was really annoying, and it really made me think there's got to be some way to at least alleviate some of this aggravation..

I have a couple of suggestions, and would LOVE if others left feedback on those suggestions, and are certainly free to chime in with their own.

1. Add some sort of level scale option for even acknowledging a friend request. Most of the ones I get are from lower level people. Maybe make it possible to input a minimum level of acknowledgment. Ex; I only want level 35-36 people to be able to send me requests. So I put in 35 as minimum required level to send requests.. and if this is a bit to complex..

2. Add an option to only acknowledge requests sent from folks of equal or greater level. Of course if you dont like this, turn it off.. make it an option. And if you do want to add a friend of lower level all you'd have to do is do the adding yourself.

3. Eliminate the option to add a friend on the avatar screen.

I don't know the solution for sure, but I know its a problem.. not only is it annoying in all the aforementioned ways, but it complicates things when I DO want to actually add a friend.

Any other ideas?

JaytB
09-22-2013, 07:50 PM
Any other ideas?

Wear the most crappy gear imaginable and see those random requests disappear.

eeknoh
09-22-2013, 08:19 PM
Well that's one solution.. so I suppose every time someone's in town they should just dress down? Can't say I think that's fair. This is a game, games tend to operate off of goals, one of which in this particular game is obtaining new, better items.

Why should someone have to hide what they've obtained every time they're in town just to avoid multiple people adding them to their friends list for no other reason? That makes no sense to me, and goes against one of the main goals in the game. However, if that's the only work around, so be it ill leave it at that.

JaytB
09-22-2013, 08:24 PM
Well that's one solution.. so I suppose every time someone's in town they should just dress down? Can't say I think that's fair. This is a game, games tend to operate off of goals, one of which in this particular game is obtaining new, better items.

Why should someone have to hide what they've obtained every time they're in town just to avoid multiple people adding them to their friends list for no other reason? That makes no sense to me, and goes against one of the main goals in the game. However, if that's the only work around, so be it ill leave it at that.

Second solution would be to just ignore those requests. I don't see how that's so hard.

eeknoh
09-22-2013, 09:13 PM
Ok, well here's an example.. say I don't 'cleanup' all the friend requests I get over the course of say a month. And I have hundreds sitting there. Then someone adds me that I actually want to add me. Its more than a little annoying to sort through that mess. Unless I do so immediately.

Say I do constantly cleanup all the unwanted requests...that in itself, is annoying.

Since I posted this I've had a few in-game conversations and apparently I'm fighting an old, losing battle. The complaint is old, and STG has never done a thing about it.

I also stood in paradise pier wearing no weapon, ring, amulet, or pet and a vanity to hide armor. I got 3 requests in 10 minutes. I know that's a bit of a limited test, and yes, I'd get more if I was 'flashy'. Point is its not entirely gear related. I still say its sad to be forced to 'dress down' to avoid something that in my opinion can be alleviated, even If its optional.. its not hard, but it is annoying.

Soundlesskill
09-23-2013, 12:22 AM
Turn off friend request alerts

Taejo
09-23-2013, 12:15 PM
Ok, well here's an example.. say I don't 'cleanup' all the friend requests I get over the course of say a month. And I have hundreds sitting there. Then someone adds me that I actually want to add me. Its more than a little annoying to sort through that mess. Unless I do so immediately.

Everyone should be keeping their friend request list clean on a routine basis anyway. I can't find the thread right now, but a Dev had stated that all these lists (friends, guild, requests) have to update, and when they do they create lag for the player - i.e. bigger guilds = more lag. I'm sorry but I've never understood how some players just let the requests pile up to 100+. It is not a huge task to click "reject all" once a day. If you missed a friend request, I'm sure they'll end up messaging you about it.

Just my opinions, though. I prefer playing as lag-free as possible.

nickaizoku
09-23-2013, 12:36 PM
Lol its look like u juz wanna be friend with high level people.. and I dont see any problem too about it. U can always click "reject all" anytime u wan.

Samhayne
09-23-2013, 12:48 PM
Hi Eeknoh,

I hear ya. I know how annoying all those "fluff" requests can be. Unfortunately, such feature development as adding new filters for friends competes with everything else we want to do with the game. Maybe with the same Tech and UI designer time we could implement a cool new feature or fix an outstanding bug (like the one with some passive abilities and pet passives that don't effect stats displayed in the inventory screen). It's not that we don't want to improve the friend system, it is more that there are other things that are probably higher priority to get to. At the end of the day, Nickaizoku has it right with:

... U can always click "reject all" anytime u want.

Thanks in advance for your understanding.

GoodSyntax
09-23-2013, 01:15 PM
Everyone should be keeping their friend request list clean on a routine basis anyway. I can't find the thread right now, but a Dev had stated that all these lists (friends, guild, requests) have to update, and when they do they create lag for the player - i.e. bigger guilds = more lag. I'm sorry but I've never understood how some players just let the requests pile up to 100+. It is not a huge task to click "reject all" once a day. If you missed a friend request, I'm sure they'll end up messaging you about it.

Just my opinions, though. I prefer playing as lag-free as possible.

Every time I die in a map with you, I'm blaming my 200+ Friend Requests for lagging me out :-)

Pandamoni
09-23-2013, 01:22 PM
If you stay on top of the friend requests it's not a big issue.

Any time I get one I just reject right away.

By doing this, when I log in and have a random friend request I know it's from someone I know from forums or from pocket legends who added me when I wasn't logged in. I've found a number of friends from PL who added me randomly this way.

bhutkeyur
09-23-2013, 05:10 PM
solution for problem: you cant send friend request if player isnt in ur guild and havent played with u for atleast 15 min contineously.

yeah its easy to say reject all but its not solution of problem. i agree with op.

Taejo
09-23-2013, 05:14 PM
you cant send friend request if player isnt in ur guild and havent played with u for atleast 15 min contineously.

I don't understand what you mean by this. You can send a friend request to any one, any time, any place - especially if you know their name or they're standing right in front of you. Since when do you have to play with someone for 15 minutes in order to send a friend request?

bhutkeyur
09-23-2013, 06:10 PM
I don't understand what you mean by this. You can send a friend request to any one, any time, any place - especially if you know their name or they're standing right in front of you. Since when do you have to play with someone for 15 minutes in order to send a friend request?
sorry i forget to write "solution" now fixed :)

Alrisaia
09-23-2013, 06:58 PM
i have over 500 friends in my list - exactly how much lag does it cause? in terms of actual bandwidth overhead?

Kazillo
09-23-2013, 08:16 PM
A simple "check box" feature would do the trick. Make managing friend requests easier without simply just rejecting them all.

Taejo
09-23-2013, 08:54 PM
i have over 500 friends in my list - exactly how much lag does it cause? in terms of actual bandwidth overhead?

I found the thread. I think maybe I'm wrong here and the guild/friend lists would have to be very large to create any lag. I'll stop quoting things I don't know 100% :)

You can check out the thread for yourself: http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?114670-Guild-Size-adds-to-lag&highlight=bigger+guilds