PDA

View Full Version : App Developers Conference survey - Download and view the survey here!

Skeletonlord
09-24-2013, 03:08 PM
Hello guys,

Skeletonlord here,

Due to college, I can not post as much nowadays, but I was just reading up on Gamezebo about the App Developers Conference survey that was conducted. The survey was asked to over 250 small game developers (Not sure if Spacetime was one?), but that does not matter at the moment, I am talking about development in general.

Anyway, if you want to take a look at the survey and its results, you can read the Gamezebo article here:

http://www.gamezebo.com/news/2013/09/23/new-survey-shows-piracy-and-discoverability-are-still-pressing-issues-game-developers-today

At the bottom of that page, there is a link to this website:

http://reg.techweb.com/forms/ADCWhitepaper2

Simply pop your name and email there and the download will become unlocked for you.

I will summarize, but check the survey out for more detail.

1. 81% of the developers use iOS as a development platform.
2. 68% of developers asked target Android.
3. 11% develop on Linux.
4. 33% of those asked were individual developers working on full time app development.
5. 18% of developers are now to the scene, with less than one year of development.
6. 11% of all surveyed developers made a profit of $1-$999 on their latest app.
7. download fees and in-app purchases were tied for most successful (28% each)

Of course, there are more graphs and charts for the techy people here.

Schnitzel
09-24-2013, 06:45 PM
Hello guys,

Skeletonlord here,

Due to college, I can not post as much nowadays, but I was just reading up on Gamezebo about the App Developers Conference survey that was conducted. The survey was asked to over 250 small game developers (Not sure if Spacetime was one?), but that does not matter at the moment, I am talking about development in general.

Anyway, if you want to take a look at the survey and its results, you can read the Gamezebo article here:

http://www.gamezebo.com/news/2013/09/23/new-survey-shows-piracy-and-discoverability-are-still-pressing-issues-game-developers-today

At the bottom of that page, there is a link to this website:

http://reg.techweb.com/forms/ADCWhitepaper2

Simply pop your name and email there and the download will become unlocked for you.

I will summarize, but check the survey out for more detail.

1. 81% of the developers use iOS as a development platform.
2. 68% of developers asked target Android.
3. 11% develop on Linux.
4. 33% of those asked were individual developers working on full time app development.
5. 18% of developers are now to the scene, with less than one year of development.
6. 11% of all surveyed developers made a profit of $1-$999 on their latest app.
7. download fees and in-app purchases were tied for most successful (28% each)

Of course, there are more graphs and charts for the techy people here.
81% on iOS..and we all know why!
^.^

Cascade
09-24-2013, 09:00 PM
^.^

I don't, please elaborate.

Skeletonlord
09-25-2013, 10:17 AM
iOS I think by far is the most expansive games development operating system you can buy. The App Store is filled with games compared to Android. No wonder people develop for iOS.

Schnitzel
09-25-2013, 06:40 PM
^.^

I don't, please elaborate.
Tim Cook(CEO of apple) said that more people use iOS than any other smartphone/tablet Operating system.
So it would be obvious more people would use iOS. Therefore making it obvious developers should create games for iOS. As it is a very commonly used software. Therefore they make more money.

Another reason:
(Excluding iOS7, more people on iDevices use the latest iOS software so it makes it easier for developers to create apps compatable to a wider range of people.

Android (and no offense to android lovers)
Has fewer people running the latest android software which makes it more difficult for devs. To make apps because they must consider the limited features of earlier OSs.

Gragorak
09-28-2013, 03:06 PM
Tim Cook(CEO of apple) said that more people use iOS than any other smartphone/tablet Operating system.
So it would be obvious more people would use iOS. Therefore making it obvious developers should create games for iOS. As it is a very commonly used software. Therefore they make more money.
http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS24257413

As you can see, Android's market share is 79.3%, while iOS has market share of 13.2%. Your argument is invalid.

Another reason:
(Excluding iOS7, more people on iDevices use the latest iOS software so it makes it easier for developers to create apps compatable to a wider range of people.

Has fewer people running the latest android software which makes it more difficult for devs. To make apps because they must consider the limited features of earlier OSs.
There are way more devices with newest android versions (4.0 and newer) than there are with any iOS version. Who forces app developers to support old Android versions? Most new quality games are only for versions 4.0 and newer. Even pocket legends doesn't support old Android versions (2.3 and newer are supported).

The reason why casual game developers prefer iOS over Android is that iOS users are ready to pay for their apps, while Android owners expect everything (especially casual games) to be free. That's why iOS apps are generally more profitable for developers.

Trenton
09-28-2013, 03:35 PM
You're argument is invalid. Your*

luv u Grag

Schnitzel
09-28-2013, 03:45 PM
http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS24257413

As you can see, Android's market share is 79.3%, while iOS has market share of 13.2%. Your argument is invalid.

Another reason:

There are way more devices with newest android versions (4.0 and newer) than there are with any iOS version. Who forces app developers to support old Android versions? Most new quality games are only for versions 4.0 and newer. Even pocket legends doesn't support old Android versions (2.3 and newer are supported).

The reason why casual game developers prefer iOS over Android is that iOS users are ready to pay for their apps, while Android owners expect everything (especially casual games) to be free. That's why iOS apps are generally more profitable for developers.
I watched the apple keynote and wwdc video.
That might just be the apple side of stuff. I don't bother looking in statistics

Roberto077
09-29-2013, 09:22 PM
iOS is basically the the League of Legends of mobile gaming.