PDA

View Full Version : Im tired of waiting for 1.5..

Gamelova
11-05-2010, 04:10 PM
Anyone got any guesses? I suspected it to this Wednesday but nope.

shadywack
11-05-2010, 04:12 PM
Apple's update approval process sucks. A stable app shouldn't have to be approved for its updates. If an update breaks an app, let the users one star it to death. The developer then has motivation to fix it. I hate this stuff.

On my Android apps all updates are automatic. No approval process needed. In spite of this I have perfectly stable apps that work wonderfully. The world didn't end.

Slush
11-05-2010, 04:14 PM
apple approval ftl

MoarPewPew
11-05-2010, 04:18 PM
Apple's update approval process sucks. A stable app shouldn't have to be approved for its updates. If an update breaks an app, let the users one star it to death. The developer then has motivation to fix it. I hate this stuff.

On my Android apps all updates are automatic. No approval process needed. In spite of this I have perfectly stable apps that work wonderfully. The world didn't end.

Lol the android apps sometimes contain a virus. Rarely though... My dad got one lol.

But anyway Apple tends to take it's time so there customers are pleased with the updates. They do make a 30% profit per app sold.

shadywack
11-05-2010, 04:42 PM
Lol the android apps sometimes contain a virus. Rarely though... My dad got one lol.

But anyway Apple tends to take it's time so there customers are pleased with the updates. They do make a 30% profit per app sold.

You don't "contract" a virus by simply using your phone. You go and download some janky and sketchy app, that's your choice. Don't be searching for weird stuff. I had a friend get a virus through his web browser for searching for "bearded celebrity women". My take on that is that he asked for it. Android Market tells you the core functions of the apps when you install them. If you're downloading a golfing game that asks for your passwords and sms data in the functions list that should be a red flag.

Given the pros and cons, I take Android's approach over Apple's. You can still get exploits on your iDevices too. They are no more protected from security problems than Android. There's just more potential for social engineering on Android, yet Google does remove insecure apps not only from Android Market but from all devices as well.

Kossi
11-05-2010, 04:56 PM
and since its friday, it wont be out until monday..or after

MoarPewPew
11-05-2010, 04:56 PM
Nah my dad is not good with his technology. He downloaded apps that were very werid, like a police light and his app flashed... Lol I told my dad not to download random thing lol but he ended up breaking his warranty lol.

shadywack
11-05-2010, 05:02 PM
Nah my dad is not good with his technology. He downloaded apps that were very werid, like a police light and his app flashed... Lol I told my dad not to download random thing lol but he ended up breaking his warranty lol.

They should honor his warranty no matter what he downloads from the market. A factory reset and you're good. Well, anything he downloads while he's unrooted ;)

Steverd
11-05-2010, 05:28 PM
and since its friday, it wont be out until monday..or after

Yep, this really, really Sucks.

Steve

addiekai
11-05-2010, 05:42 PM
Apple follows proper approval steps to make sure the apps they service and support are properly updated. Just by approving randomly, could be, or would be the cause of dissatisfaction or the players of the app.

Let's just give them the time they need to get things right the first time. Better a proper update that takes time, rather than a buggy rushed one. :)

Vyvin
11-05-2010, 06:14 PM
Uplad to repo in cydia!!!
Automatic downloads no wait time...
/Vyvin

TwinkTastical
11-05-2010, 06:18 PM
Just for this, theyre gonna delay it a week.

Draq
11-05-2010, 06:20 PM
if they do im gonna blame twink anyway

TwinkTastical
11-05-2010, 06:29 PM
if they do im gonna blame twink anyway

why not vvyin :)?

shadywack
11-05-2010, 07:45 PM
Apple follows proper approval steps to make sure the apps they service and support are properly updated. Just by approving randomly, could be, or would be the cause of dissatisfaction or the players of the app.

Let's just give them the time they need to get things right the first time. Better a proper update that takes time, rather than a buggy rushed one. :)

Apple is not the app's developer. The app developer already took the time to "get things right". For apps that are already approved, updates shouldn't need reapproval. This whole bureaucratic process is absurd. The dissatisfaction here is that Apple has too much work to keep up in a timely manner.

Vyvin
11-05-2010, 08:10 PM
Why u gotta pink on me zen
Like WTF
LEAVE ME A LONE! :')
/Vyvin

Melange
11-05-2010, 09:13 PM
Apple are probably having a cry over them releasing an Android version. And since apples cut of the profits is in plat sales, and it stands to reason that for Android there is going to have to be a non Apple way to puchase plat they are probably having an even bigger cry and finding reasons to be difficult.

TwinkTastical
11-05-2010, 09:25 PM
Why u gotta pink on me zen
Like WTF
LEAVE ME A LONE! :')
/Vyvin

:( sorry, dunno what got into me....or wait! last night i dreamt 3 gold sparrows flew into a nest.. and got eaten by a tiger.. this meant.. thay id pick on an innocent bystander.

-faint humming sound-

CanonicalKoi
11-05-2010, 09:46 PM
You don't "contract" a virus by simply using your phone. You go and download some janky and sketchy app, that's your choice. Don't be searching for weird stuff. I had a friend get a virus through his web browser for searching for "bearded celebrity women". My take on that is that he asked for it. Android Market tells you the core functions of the apps when you install them. If you're downloading a golfing game that asks for your passwords and sms data in the functions list that should be a red flag.

Weeeeellllll, Android Market sort of tells you what the apps do. Kind of like "Secret SMS Replicator" that allowed people to monitor another person's text messages. Oops. Or Droid09, "which created a shell of mobile banking apps in an attempt to access users' banking information. Before getting pulled, Droid09 had published almost 40 variants of its app, each one targeting a different bank." according to an article on Vator.tv.

Given the pros and cons, I take Android's approach over Apple's. You can still get exploits on your iDevices too. They are no more protected from security problems than Android. There's just more potential for social engineering on Android, yet Google does remove insecure apps not only from Android Market but from all devices as well.

There's ups and downs on both sides. Apple's accused of being draconian and they do reject something like 20% of the apps submitted. On the other hand, Google releases them into the wild and then pulls approximately 1% after repeated complaints are made. Personally, I'd rather the app was looked at in advance (and I'm a Linux user besides being an Apple user) rather than downloading something and having the company pull it only after it's been repeatedly flagged by users, goes for review and someone finally determines that it violates company policies. I've got no kick against those who choose Android--I don't even own a cell phone and wouldn't accept one as a gift no matter who made it.

nazgulking
11-06-2010, 03:00 AM
I'm adding to the RantTrain. Apple sucks with the approval times!