PDA

View Full Version : Increase diminishing crit duration & make proc look more significant for mythic staff

falmear
09-26-2013, 11:46 AM
The crit breakdown for dimishing crit is:

+15% Crit for .5s, then 10% for 1s, 6% for 1s, 3% for 1s, 1% for 1s

However when ever test this the best I ever see once the staff procs is 10%. The way I test it is by firing the staff until it procs then press c to bring me immediately to the stats screen. And I can't ever get it to show +15% crit. The best I ever see is 10%. The way I test it would be no different then if I had pressed a skill. Can you increase it from 0.5s to 1s? Also the lowest cool down of skills for a mage is 3 seconds. So the diminishing crit isn't as effective because most of the time your skills are cool down or need to be charged. So effectively its more like 1% or 3% boost in crit. So if you can add something like an additional half second to 6% and 3%? So we have a better chance to get a higher crit as mage's crit is very low as it is.

Also can you make the proc effect more pronounced, if there is a lot of mobs I can't even tell sometimes the staff has proc'd until its too late because I am swarmed with mobs.

Zeus
09-26-2013, 02:40 PM
They can't make it too powerful, otherwise what reason would there be for the arcane staff?

This same situation is also occurring for the daggers.

So... what I propose is that they lengthen the crit duration but lower the crit buff slightly to make up for it. That would be a nice trade off, wouldn't it?

Alrisaia
09-26-2013, 02:43 PM
I was under the impression that the DOT spells also now crit. Thus when this procs - it should be hitting your DOTs that are already in place... I could be wrong. Happy to test it with you though :)

Taejo
09-26-2013, 02:51 PM
I was under the impression that the DOT spells also now crit. Thus when this procs - it should be hitting your DOTs that are already in place... I could be wrong. Happy to test it with you though :)

This works for buffs like Ribbit's arcane ability. Interested to see if other crit buffs effect DoTs as well.

Alrisaia
09-26-2013, 02:58 PM
This works for buffs like Ribbit's arcane ability. Interested to see if other crit buffs effect DoTs as well.

All Crit buffs should affect DOTs. DOT dmg is calculated at the time the tick hits from what I gather running my mage, not at the time the spell is cast. Thus, for every tick the DOT is in effect and doing damage - there is a roll to determine if it's a crit or a regular.

I do know however that if the DOT rolls a crit - it rolls the crit for ALL mobs in the DOT. thus, why you see either ALL red or ALL yellow numbers fly on a single DOT.

I could be wrong, but that's been my experience with my mage :)

Rogue's DOTs cannot crit - and I'd say they shouldn't... we're too powerful as it is already :)

falmear
09-26-2013, 04:21 PM
Adding half a second so you get 5% more crit make this compete with the arcane staff? Ridiculous comparisons aside. The reason I suggested this was for a mage to get a chance to use lightning or some other skill when you had the most crit available. Right now you are lucky to even get the 6% or 10%. Yes the DOT damage will crit but the damage that this amounts to in 4.5s is not that significant when its something uncontrolled unlike ribbit. Because if its near the end of the DoT effect, you have to charge you skill again and this wastes time. I'd like to be given a small enough chance to get the 15% to time an actual skill because right now I can't see how you can take advantage of that 15% unless its DOT damage. For example Time Shift, you have to charge it to get any DOT damage at all. I think it would make it more useful if you at least had a shot at timing a skill when the weapon procs. Otherwise from my experience and testing for a mage the diminishing crit isn't that useful.

Carapace
09-26-2013, 06:00 PM
hmm chances are good the culprit here is lag. Padding it an extra .5 seconds probably wouldn't hurt. Is anyone seeing this issue with the Warrior armor proc? If not then I would deduce it absolutely is lag.

Energizeric
09-26-2013, 08:02 PM
Yeah, I think you have to extend the 0.5 seconds part to be at least 1 full second, otherwise it's useless as nobody is going to get off another skill that quick. Considering Colton gives 15% crit for quite a long duration, I don't think extending the diminishing crit proc a little further out would do any harm.

will0
09-26-2013, 08:18 PM
I do agree with Energizeric and Falmear, 0.5 sec countdown for 15% crit we almost never gets it as when the process fire off by the time i click my Ice or Light skill the count down time is already perhaps down 10% Crit chance.

Sometimes i do think that mythic gun process are much better compare to the "new" mythic staff at least the buff is longer and it buffs everyone and not to mention mythic staff doesn't have stun effect to mobs which is lacking compare to gun as mages are always low HP thus in a big group of mobs w/o stun we hardly survive unless we spam pots quickly.

The only plus points is the better stats on the mythic staff, buffing better process for the staff will greatly aids mage survivability during PVE (Elite) map especially (more armor or stun at mobs).

This is my personal observation anyway feel free to comment if other mages are feeling the same about the mythic staff.

Zeus
09-26-2013, 08:20 PM
hmm chances are good the culprit here is lag. Padding it an extra .5 seconds probably wouldn't hurt. Is anyone seeing this issue with the Warrior armor proc? If not then I would deduce it absolutely is lag.

This is with all of the new mythic weapons.

@Falmear
The rogue daggers's proc is not that useful either as the same a argument can be made. It doesn't proc often & when it goes, the half second or so doesn't not get taken advantage of.

katish
09-26-2013, 10:39 PM
This is with all of the new mythic weapons.

@Falmear
The rogue daggers's proc is not that useful either as the same a argument can be made. It doesn't proc often & when it goes, the half second or so doesn't not get taken advantage of.

Is different because blade proc is a passive one, once shield goes off ur already taking advantage of it so long as you're getting hit, no actions needed on your part. However the crit boost requires the toon to perform an action to take advantage of it, and I'm sorry no one can act on reflex in half a sec.

Enviado de meu GT-I9300 usando o Tapatalk 2

Zeus
09-27-2013, 12:47 PM
Is different because blade proc is a passive one, once shield goes off ur already taking advantage of it so long as you're getting hit, no actions needed on your part. However the crit boost requires the toon to perform an action to take advantage of it, and I'm sorry no one can act on reflex in half a sec.

Enviado de meu GT-I9300 usando o Tapatalk 2

I'm talking about our crit boost... it works in the same manner. It spikes up for a half a second & then goes back down. I believe the problem is the same for most mythic weapons.

falmear
09-27-2013, 12:59 PM
When designing the diminishing crit it should be considered how each class uses their skills and various cool downs. The two don't have to be the same. 3 out of 4 of my skills need to be charged. And the skill I don't charge has a 3 second cool down. This is a usability issue because you can't say you have .5 or 1 second for extra crit when I don't have a chance to even use it. When I fire my staff is when my skills are in cool down because staff damage is always lower then skill damage. Sp this is when my staff will proc, so I am most likely to use the skill which will be first to finish its cool down. I'm glad to see people acknowledge .5 seconds is too short. But I'd also like to see some consideration for a little extra time on the other crit bonuses. Whatever is decided is fine with me however just like one size pants doesn't fit everyone. One kind of diminishing crit isn't going to fit everyone. So when designing the diminishing crit for the mage staff, this should be taking into consideration.

Taejo
09-27-2013, 01:52 PM

I'm inclined to agree with Carapace, and not just because he's a Dev. It seems pretty logical to deduce that 0.5 seconds is almost impossible to successfully react to with skills unless you're in a lag-free environment.

Morholt
09-30-2013, 04:04 AM
Reason it's hard to see the half second 15% would be a combination of reaction time and actually proc'ing on the server vs. when you see it happen on your screen.

When I first read the breakdown of the diminishing procs, I was under the impression that the first half second wasn't intended to be perfectly taken advantage of through timing, but rather give you a random dumb luck kind of big hit chance. In this, your skills are on cool down and you're just spamming auto attack and during the last one--as you're about to cast your first free skill--you proc the crit chance and land a nice lucky hit. Meanwhile, you'd be able to intentionally use the lower but longer last part of the proc.
I don't like the thought of these procs being meant to be timed & taken advantage of like you guys are getting at...if that was the intention, it should just happen on every 15th attack. Chance should be exactly that: chance. And the usability of it is dictated by when that random occurrence happens.
It sure sucks if you're using something like the arcane staff & the +int procs during the last hit on a group of enemies and then it wears off by the time you get to use it against another mob, but I don't see many other threads complaining about not getting to take full advantage of procs because of timing and when they happen in relation to the fighting.

Taejo
09-30-2013, 12:52 PM
Reason it's hard to see the half second 15% would be a combination of reaction time and actually proc'ing on the server vs. when you see it happen on your screen.

When I first read the breakdown of the diminishing procs, I was under the impression that the first half second wasn't intended to be perfectly taken advantage of through timing, but rather give you a random dumb luck kind of big hit chance. In this, your skills are on cool down and you're just spamming auto attack and during the last one--as you're about to cast your first free skill--you proc the crit chance and land a nice lucky hit. Meanwhile, you'd be able to intentionally use the lower but longer last part of the proc.
I don't like the thought of these procs being meant to be timed & taken advantage of like you guys are getting at...if that was the intention, it should just happen on every 15th attack. Chance should be exactly that: chance. And the usability of it is dictated by when that random occurrence happens.
It sure sucks if you're using something like the arcane staff & the +int procs during the last hit on a group of enemies and then it wears off by the time you get to use it against another mob, but I don't see many other threads complaining about not getting to take full advantage of procs because of timing and when they happen in relation to the fighting.

Nice feedback as always, Morholt. However, what you just described in great detail is simply lag :) I agree with your logic, but it's basically impossible, even with the miracle of chance, to utilize this 0.5s buff. Your odds are pretty "arcane" in using it to your advantage, so in essence the 0.5s portion of the buff doesn't even truly "exist". I don't think 1.0s would be taken advantage of and create a severe imbalance among weapons, because you're still dealing with lag and reaction time at the end of the day. I'd wager to say that 1.0s would translate into an actual 0.5s window of opportunity to legitimately react and use the buff; but even then its a 50/50 chance. To illustrate my point - try using Tankton's arcane ability and look at how fast the +armor portion of the buff comes and goes (2.0s buff). Now divide that in half and try to make legitimate reactions with it. It's still very difficult for me to react, even with 48 ping.

will0
10-06-2013, 08:23 PM
this thread went quiet, wondering if STS is working on this issue?