PDA

View Full Version : Newbie's guide to AL

Milan Lame Man
09-28-2013, 01:01 PM
Hello fellow newbies,

When I first came into the game I had many questions but no answers. Now I'm celebrating my 6th week so I guess I could share some of what I've learned, while I still remember those questions.

Q: How to get gold?
A: Run daily quests every day. Some only offer a small amount of gold, others give a "random item" which can be an egg, saving a lot of gold. In general, skip daily quests that only give gold, unless you can complete them quickly. Storyline quests give a good amount of gold as well.
If you can, buy the Leprechaun Pendant ("lep" or "lepre"), it will give you better drops. Note that it took me 5 weeks to get enough gold to buy it from CS (see further), and I play a lot (but focusing on storyline, not farming).

Q: Should I auto-feed my pet?
A: No way. Rotate pets once they get hungry. You need about 5 to have one ready all the time. Also *do* learn the pet stats and select 1 or 2 favorites, and level them higher than the rest, so they stay on top of the list for tough fights.
Pets gain XP just like you do, but only if not unhappy.

Q: How do I finish quest XXX?
A: Check this thread: Guide: Arcane Legends quests (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?74963-Guide-Arcane-Legends-quests)

Q: Where do I get pet XXX, and what are its stats?
A: Basic guide, "pleasant to the eye" as they say. Does not contain all pets and prices have dropped a bit. Beastmaster-Guide (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?107395-Beastmaster-Guide)
Where to get them: Pet-Farming (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?111731-Pet-Farming)
List of stats: Guide-Pet-system (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?77834-Guide-Pet-system)

Q: I've got some gear I don't want, and want a better one.
A: Check the CS, or Consignment Store. Some people also call it AH (probably Auction Hall). One is located in Traveller's Outpost, 3 in Kraag, also in other cities except Windmoore. There is a dense crowd of people around it most of the time.

Q: What are the various chat colors?
A: White: shout all over the area. Just type text to shout. Do not shout personal or party messages.
Yellow: personal message. Use "/t name text", or select the person from whatever list and choose Send/Message.
Green: guild chat. Use "/g text".
Blue: party chat. Use "/p text".
I hear there is also Guild Officer chat but I am not an officer.

Q: Should I do Dead City or Kraken Islands first?
A: Dead City is meant to be easier than Kraken Islands.

Q: What is the best way to level up? Should I do it?
A: I recommend against it. When you enter an area, the game puts you next to people about your level. If you level higher than the average player, you will only meet farmers who skip quests/bosses, so you'll have a hard time getting a party to kill that strong boss/whatever.
If you have to level up, go to WT (Watcher's Tombs in Traveller's Outpost) or KT (Kraag Tombs, the easiest IMHO). To farm Kraken Mines, you should not be a newbie.

Q: Should I join a guild? Can I quit/change it anytime?
A: To join a guild, you need to be invited by a recruiter (above average guild member). You can quit a guild at any time. Most guilds only let you in after you don't need them any more, so enjoy your invitation if you get one, and don't abuse the guild's goodwill by asking for help the second you get in.
Let me rant a bit, too. If you need help, do not send random party invites to guild members. They are busy most of the time. Use guild chat or personal message, and patience.

Q: Any tips for Boss fights?
A: The most important thing is to avoid boss reset.
1. The boss resets if pulled far away from its starting area. The area differs for each boss but you can find it quite easily. It is better to get killed than pull the boss out. Try to pull the boss in if you can before dying.
Also do not camp too close to the boss. 1.5-2 screens away from the edge of the boss's area should be fine.
2. The boss resets if all players die at the same time. I recommend to respawn as soon as possible, and try to stay alive until other members respawn (but do not run away).
Some older players will recommend not to respawn but you don't get achievement or quest completion when dead or far away from the boss. This has probably changed some time ago so they still think it is true.

Q: Is it better to get health or armor?
A: From what I've found, armor reduces the damage you take, with a fairly simple equation:
armor/level=damage reduction (only works if the enemy is your level)
So a level 20 toon with 500 armor gets 500/20=25% damage reduction. It is up to you to decide if 20 armor or 200 health is better with your current gear, class, level etc. You get harder hits from higher levels, and weaker hits from lower levels, but I'm not sure of the exact amount.

Q: What is Locked Grand Crate of the Watch?
A: Also called "locked". It has a small chance to contain the best gear in the game. I sell it to people who shout "buy locked" since I don't buy/have platinum to open it.

Q: What are the various chests I find?
A: They contain random items. The following table sums what item levels I've got from each chest. The pattern is pretty clear but I don't want to fill the table with guesses. It is possible that Silver chests will not give pink items without some form of luck boost. I mostly sell the golden variants.

Chest name
green
blue
pink

Golden Puzzlebox

Silver Puzzlebox

Copper Puzzlebox
34-36

Golden Warchest

Silver Warchest
30-31
30-31
29 (very rarely)

Copper Warchest
29-31
29-31

Golden Pirate Chest

Silver Pirate Chest
24-26

Copper Pirate Chest
24-26

Golden Banded Chest

Silver Banded Chest
19-21

Copper Banded Chest

Golden Chest

15-16

Silver Chest
15-16
16 (very rarely)

Copper Chest
14-16
15-16

To all: feel free to fill in/correct whatever I've missed / got wrong.

Spyce
09-28-2013, 08:24 PM
Nice guide man!