PDA

View Full Version : Pick Your weapon M vs G

inkredible
10-02-2013, 07:22 PM
Whats youre preferral and why? Need serious opinion :)
warriors are damage based imo
i didnt mean to write DPS vs DMG - my mistake

Warrior: 470+ dmg , 345+ dps, 1900+ armor
350+ dmg , 420+ dps, 1700+

in other words..

MAUL vs GLAIVE

Someone asked me why maul? and why i didnt get glaive instead....
i know dps arent important with warr.. but just need some opinion whether i should glaive or not

"it just really doesnt make sense to me why glaive seems to hit WAY MORE than maul when critted - base on y'all opinions
cuz .. maul with proc over 520dmg and on top of that.. it reduces 50% of opponents armor..

critical percentage diff is around 2%

so why is glaive hitting WAY MORE than maul - if its about even output dmg okay understandable, but 800ish vs 1.7k??
DPS affect??? difference of about +80 dps with -120dmg less than maul can cause that?
I dont know the whole math concept of this. but please - a dev explain
theres gotta be something wrong with that.."

Which warrior would you rather party with ?
- With elites
- Timed runs
- PVP

or which would you prefer , which weapon would u use in elites/ timed/ pvp ?

heres my stats without weapon, and comparison of maul and glaive
42754 42753*
STATS WITH PROC

glaive vs maul

Answers break down:

In general (for warriors and mages) DMG > DPS. However, procs are also a factor. In this case you're talking a maul and a glaive.

(MAUL)I found myself clearing mobs much slower, but wrecking bosses like they were northern trees in a cat.5 (Florida analogy). Remember that mobs are the hardest part of elite this season, so the glaive gains an edge for heavy elite farmers in that aspec. But, given you have the luxury, I would carry both a glaive (your knives per say) and a maul (your bow per say).

Factoring out DPS, it's basically a choice between +120 dmg or +120 armor, and which proc you like the most. Honestly I think they're very close in usefulness, but Maul is still better for dishing out big damage. Glaive seems like a very good alternative for players who can't get their hands on a Maul, and is also a good weapon for PvE (like Arena or elites) or PvP instances where you might need the extra armor.

1. Skill give more damage than normal attack
2. Warior skill is an area damage
3. Maul proc

So damage > dps

I'd make the decision based on health and armor instead of dmg and dps. Warriors contribute to the party most by keeping the aggro and letting rogues do the damage. Honestly, compared to rogues and mages the damage contribution from a tank is negligible. So I'd go with whichever increases ur survivabilty. This is from a pve perspective.

Well itd depend on the.timed runs. If its elite id want dmg as your skills with maul would be faster then glaive. If the speed run was say w4 or a low level elite elite id say glaive. In pvp id say maul for the same reason as high lvl elites

Derezzzed
10-02-2013, 07:39 PM
DMG all the way, DPS only applies to your normal attacks and not your skills

DMG > DPS

wvhills
10-02-2013, 07:40 PM
I'm not a warrior expert but I'd make the decision based on health and armor instead of dmg and dps. Warriors contribute to the party most by keeping the aggro and letting rogues do the damage. Honestly, compared to rogues and mages the damage contribution from a tank is negligible. So I'd go with whichever increases ur survivabilty. This is from a pve perspective.

Terracio
10-02-2013, 07:44 PM
DMG in every instance IMO.

DPS is for rogues and in some cases mages.

inkredible
10-02-2013, 07:52 PM
DMG in every instance IMO.

DPS is for rogues and in some cases mages.

exactly my opinion.. it just got me thinking when i got asked why maul. . im like..
uh...... proc is op.. way more dmg

but my main question really is

which would u prefer.. maul or glaive

drawfflerz
10-02-2013, 07:58 PM
i prefer damage>dps.. for legendary weapon, entomb warfare>arch blade

Zanpakuto
10-02-2013, 08:01 PM
Damage all the way

Taejo
10-02-2013, 08:02 PM

Factoring out DPS, it's basically a choice between +120 dmg or +120 armor, and which proc you like the most. Honestly I think they're very close in usefulness, but Maul is still better for dishing out big damage. Glaive seems like a very good alternative for players who can't get their hands on a Maul, and is also a good weapon for PvE (like Arena or elites) or PvP instances where you might need the extra armor.

Jetzzz
10-02-2013, 08:08 PM
3. Maul proc

So damage > dps

Crowsfoot
10-02-2013, 08:20 PM
In general (for warriors and mages) DMG > DPS. However, procs are also a factor. In this case you're talking a maul and a glaive. Here is what we know about each proc:

Maul:
- single cohesive proc.
- highlights are aoe stun, 50% armor reduction to those hut, and +60str for user
- rarest warrior proc rate.

Glaive:
- two independent procs (sort of).

Proc A:
-- diminishing armor (starts at 1000armor buff, drops to 500 armor after 0.5secs, 250armor after 1sec, 75armor after 1.5secs. Ends after 2secs). This proc looks like a chromosome patern at your feet.
-- +35str buff, lasts 4secs and correlates to the diminishing armor buff. This buff, however, looks like electrical spikes around the user.

Proc B (not really a proc):
-- "deal damage based on armor" is how the 'pierce' attack is described. A 'pierce' will occur almost like a critical hit (same font, just more common than a crit), the word 'pierce' will float off a target you hit and a number below it that is MUCH higher than a normal hit. Piercing attacks affect both your basic attacks and skills. A 'pierce' can also crit for additional bonus damage (I think, its crowded in alr's epic elite pulls. Lol)

*The ideal damage from a glaive is a piercing and critical windmill occuring within 0.5 secs of proc A casts. This is the least likely allignment of procs for any class. This said, I have seen my windmill skill deal 1109 damage a hit on elite inan'hesh so it does happen :) .

---

IMO the glaive is the best mob clearer in game. The maul has become (for lack of better analogy) a mythic bow of sorts. The maul is still THE standard in best PvP weapon, and is still THE best weapon for boss slaying.

I use a glaive do to I can't afford a maul, though I have tried one of my friends. And I found myself clearing mobs much slower, but wrecking bosses like they were northern trees in a cat.5 (Florida analogy). Remember that mobs are the hardest part of elite this season, so the glaive gains an edge for heavy elite farmers in that aspec. But, given you have the luxury, I would carry both a glaive (your knives per say) and a maul (your bow per say).

xcainnblecterx
10-02-2013, 08:42 PM
Well itd depend on the.timed runs. If its elite id want dmg as your skills with maul would be faster then glaive. If the speed run was say w4 or a low level elite elite id say glaive has reg attack would swing quicker and the dps would do more damage to mob then maul. In pvp id say maul for the same reason as high lvl elites

inkredible
10-02-2013, 09:06 PM

IMO maul is all the way , ive never tried glaive thats why i got curious why someone asked me "why maul?" in my head im like uh.. best warr weapon?
and add to the fact..the person who asked me is a pro player

3. Maul proc

So damage > dps

maul proc is beast - simple clear explanation

In general (for warriors and mages) DMG > DPS. However, procs are also a factor. In this case you're talking a maul and a glaive. Here is what we know about each proc:

Maul:
- single cohesive proc.
- highlights are aoe stun, 50% armor reduction to those hut, and +60str for user
- rarest warrior proc rate.

Glaive:
- two independent procs (sort of).

Proc A:
-- diminishing armor (starts at 1000armor buff, drops to 500 armor after 0.5secs, 250armor after 1sec, 75armor after 1.5secs. Ends after 2secs). This proc looks like a chromosome patern at your feet.
-- +35str buff, lasts 4secs and correlates to the diminishing armor buff. This buff, however, looks like electrical spikes around the user.

Proc B (not really a proc):
-- "deal damage based on armor" is how the 'pierce' attack is described. A 'pierce' will occur almost like a critical hit (same font, just more common than a crit), the word 'pierce' will float off a target you hit and a number below it that is MUCH higher than a normal hit. Piercing attacks affect both your basic attacks and skills. A 'pierce' can also crit for additional bonus damage (I think, its crowded in alr's epic elite pulls. Lol)

*The ideal damage from a glaive is a piercing and critical windmill occuring within 0.5 secs of proc A casts. This is the least likely allignment of procs for any class. This said, I have seen my windmill skill deal 1109 damage a hit on elite inan'hesh so it does happen :) .

---

IMO the glaive is the best mob clearer in game. The maul has become (for lack of better analogy) a mythic bow of sorts. The maul is still THE standard in best PvP weapon, and is still THE best weapon for boss slaying.

I use a glaive do to I can't afford a maul, though I have tried one of my friends. And I found myself clearing mobs much faster, but wrecking bosses like they were northern trees in a cat.5 (Florida analogy). Remember that mobs are the hardest part of elite this season, so the glaive gains an edge for heavy elite farmers in that aspec. But, given you have the luxury, I would carry both a glaive (your knives per say) and a maul (your bow per say).

THIS ^
thats really what im looking for
how glaive is in terms of fighting in pvp, pve/ elites
since i never had one..
better to ask or perhaps borrow before buying one

Alhuntrazeck
10-02-2013, 09:14 PM
Maul>Glaive in PvP.

Crowsfoot
10-02-2013, 09:21 PM
I've nerver tried glaive

how glaive is in terms of fighting in pvp, pve/ elites
since i never had one..
better to ask or perhaps borrow before buying one

If you know someone willing to loan I would strongly suggest you do. To each his own. I merely shared my experience.

PvP= edge maul.

Elite mobs (hardest part of elite this season)= edge glaive

Elite bosses= edge maul

By my take they are about even in usefulness, but serve very different roles. It all depends on how you spend your time end game (I run elite, so I find a glaive a bigger game changer than a maul). I would assume a more aggresive PvP player would prefer a maul.

Factor I failed to mention: what is your skill build? I have five speced and map my skills based on location. For tanking elite mobs I map: heal, venge, jugg, and windmill. How you are speced will dramatically change your take on these two weapons.
*basically, I am further endorsing you to test a glaive before deciding.

Crowsfoot
10-02-2013, 09:32 PM
I made an autocorrect mistake. With a maul I found myself clearing mobs much slower, not faster as I had previously posted.

My apologies for the confusion.

inkredible
10-02-2013, 09:32 PM
If you know someone willing to loan I would strongly suggest you do. To each his own. I merely shared my experience.

PvP= edge maul.

Elite mobs (hardest part of elite this season)= edge glaive

Elite bosses= edge maul

By my take they are about even in usefulness, but serve very different roles. It all depends on how you spend your time end game (I run elite, so I find a glaive a bigger game changer than a maul). I would assume a more aggresive PvP player would prefer a maul.

Factor I failed to mention: what is your skill build? I have five speced and map my skills based on location. For tanking elite mobs I map: heal, venge, jugg, and windmill. How you are speced will dramatically change your take on these two weapons.
*basically, I am further endorsing you to test a glaive before deciding.

SKILL build has a factor, but not so much
sure will depend on many factor.. like how you use ur weapon, how you use your skills.. timing, tanking skills in general etc
interesting build tho, 3 taunts im guessing? kind of a bit off topic, just a bit tho

but what you did there
is you compared the weapons based on their dmg and how they perform against players, mobs, bosses, not so much more of a build base ;)
ill leave build out of this :P

inkredible
10-02-2013, 09:33 PM
I made an autocorrect mistake. With a maul I found myself clearing mobs much slower, not faster as I had previously posted.

My apologies for the confusion.

makes more sense
MAUL against mobs is really not more about how fast u kill them.. its more of a .. "PLS STUN and PROC so my team last longer and they kill them faster "

Zeus
10-02-2013, 09:37 PM
exactly my opinion.. it just got me thinking when i got asked why maul. . im like..
uh...... proc is op.. way more dmg

but my main question really is

The skill damage of glaive is just way more in every aspect. Compare the two on your skill damage page and you will see. You have to ask yourself... what do you use more? Your auto attack or your skills?

Crowsfoot
10-02-2013, 09:39 PM
SKILL build has a factor, but not so much
sure will depend on many factor.. like how you use ur weapon, how you use your skills.. timing, tanking skills in general etc
interesting build tho, 3 taunts im guessing? kind of a bit off topic, just a bit tho

but what you did there
is you compared the weapons based on their dmg and how they perform against players, mobs, bosses, not so much more of a build base ;)
ill leave build out of this :P

All on you, I certainly am not in the market to buy a maul.

I will note on my build though: I use 3/5 jugg, only the first two upgrades. A properly used windmill timed well with a later heal will hold 85%+ of all aggro in a very wide area. My fifth skill is speced is SS, I switch out jugg for SS once I tech the boss. This aids in staying within mele range and increasing my damage output (bosses are such kittens compared to the arguably OP mobs in maps like overgrow that I don't need jugg).

Crowsfoot
10-02-2013, 09:41 PM
The skill damage of glaive is just way more in every aspect. Compare the two on your skill damage page and you will see. You have to ask yourself... what do you use more? Your auto attack or your skills?

Depends if you are clearing mobs or fighting a boss who stuns mele based warriors 50%+ time of the fight.

inkredible
10-02-2013, 09:43 PM

I use them quite evenly.. but seeing how i have two attack skills.. then obvs its like a 2/3 1/3 ratio
but sometimes ill use more auto, if say ... SS is on CD and saving an attack skill for something specific so maybe it comes down to even

with tanking a lot, after awhile you get the pattern of the bosses and mobs, and i tend to tank based on that pattern and + teams situation + surroundings + cool downs + pet

tanking , alot of knowledge involve.. and im an observer

Zeus
10-02-2013, 09:46 PM
I use them quite evenly.. but seeing how i have two attack skills.. then obvs its like a 2/3 1/3 ratio
but sometimes ill use more auto, if say ... SS is on CD and saving an attack skill for something specific so maybe it comes down to even

with tanking a lot, after awhile you get the pattern of the bosses and mobs, and i tend to tank based on that pattern and + teams situation + surroundings + cool downs + pet

tanking , alot of knowledge involve.. and im an observer

Alright... then for your type of play, a maul may be better for you.

Crowsfoot
10-02-2013, 09:46 PM
Again-

Mobs= glaive

Boss= maul

csyui
10-02-2013, 09:58 PM
Unless your skill build includes 3 attacking skills (sky smash, windmill, chest splitter), I dont see any evidence that a slow auto-attack speed weapon can win a high speed one.

Crowsfoot
10-02-2013, 10:04 PM
Unless your skill build includes 3 attacking skills (sky smash, windmill, chest splitter), I dont see any evidence that a slow auto-attack speed weapon can win a high speed one.

Why would you use 3 attacking skills o.O

That means you lose two of the following: heal, jugg, or venge.....if you are using 3 attacking skills I an elite run please respec.

Spyce
10-02-2013, 10:07 PM
Damage > Damage Per Second for days!

Crowsfoot
10-02-2013, 10:10 PM
Damage > Damage Per Second for days!

Did you even read this thread...its based off warrior weapons. Additionally, the thread's writer wanted suport for your opinions.

csyui
10-02-2013, 10:12 PM

That means you lose two of the following: heal, jugg, or venge.....if you are using 3 attacking skills I an elite run please respec.

I said unless .....

And for your suggestion,
jugg: blah long CD time.
vengeful: old one is good, now it sux. If you say +str bonus, I rather use shiloh buff.

For elite run, use rally cry help your weak rogue and smurf increase dodge rate and get through mobs quickly.
This topic is which weapon is better, I choose high attack speed one.

wowdah
10-02-2013, 10:13 PM
Maul for survivabilty and proc and damage and proness

Crowsfoot
10-02-2013, 10:15 PM
Maul for survivabilty and proc and damage and proness

Survivability? Uhm, no. Glaive has 117 more armor and a maul only has 105 more hp. AND, glaive has an armor buff.

Crowsfoot
10-02-2013, 10:19 PM
I said unless .....

And for your suggestion,
jugg: blah long CD time.
vengeful: old one is good, now it sux. If you say +str bonus, I rather use shiloh buff.

For elite run, use rally cry help your weak rogue and smurf increase dodge rate and get through mobs quickly.
This topic is which weapon is better, I choose high attack speed one.

-_- ya. A +25% damage buff is so weak (that's an upgrade in venge, as is a +25% crit buff).

@jugg tank the elite overgrow map and tell me jugg sucks. I only use twice a run, but I would die every run without it

inkredible
10-02-2013, 10:27 PM

How a slow attack speed weapon can win a high one?

if its a maul LOL with proc

Ive done it before
its called 5 skills
- meaning switching at boss
3 attack skill - cs/smash/ axethrow / hor
or cs/ss/wm/hor
- two taunts, more dmg / feeble/ stun

but running the maps with
Smash/wm/hor/jugg

vice versa
i would leave venge out of it - leave the MAIN MAIN damage to rogues , ur meant for tanking..vengeance isnt needed.. unless ur desperate for mana....if youre using it for health, might as well just use jugg ( WHICH I RECOMMEND)

i wont suggest 3 attack skill tho, but yes it also works

csyui
10-02-2013, 10:39 PM
-_- ya. A +25% damage buff is so weak (that's an upgrade in venge, as is a +25% crit buff).

I dont understand what you mean? For a elite map, you play your tank as a killer just because you have bonus dmg and crit for like 5-7 sec each use of vengeful???
Come on, what a tank do in elite map is to hold your aggro and try make your rogue and mage survive, not to be a ADC.

@jugg tank the elite overgrow map and tell me jugg sucks. I only use twice a run, but I would die every run without it.

You would die? That means you not spam your pots quickly enough. But if you feel jugg useful and play it well, you may keep it. Only your knows what is best for youself.

Crowsfoot
10-02-2013, 10:45 PM
I dont understand what you mean? For a elite map, you play your tank as a killer just because you have bonus dmg and crit for like 5-7 sec each use of vengeful???
Come on, what a tank do in elite map is to hold your aggro and try make your rogue and mage survive, not to be a ADC.

You would die? That means you not spam your pots quickly enough. But if you feel jugg useful and play it well, you may keep it. Only your knows what is best for youself.

I can spam pots -_-

And this whole thread is on getting the most power out of a warrior (off tanks are tanks with the tip gear and don't NEED more defense). Send me a screen shot of how pro you are and maybe we can talk.

Crowsfoot
10-02-2013, 10:48 PM
How a slow attack speed weapon can win a high one?

if its a maul LOL with proc

Ive done it before
its called 5 skills
- meaning switching at boss
3 attack skill - cs/smash/ axethrow / hor
or cs/ss/wm/hor
- two taunts, more dmg / feeble/ stun

but running the maps with
Smash/wm/hor/jugg

vice versa
i would leave venge out of it - leave the MAIN MAIN damage to rogues , ur meant for tanking..vengeance isnt needed.. unless ur desperate for mana....if youre using it for health, might as well just use jugg ( WHICH I RECOMMEND)

i wont suggest 3 attack skill tho, but yes it also works

This is common and effective. My issue is mapping THREE attack skils at the same time.

csyui
10-02-2013, 10:54 PM
I can spam pots -_-

And this whole thread is on getting the most power out of a warrior (off tanks are tanks with the tip gear and don't NEED more defense). Send me a screen shot of how pro you are and maybe we can talk.

Here you go. Can we talk? :02.47-tranquillity:

Crowsfoot
10-02-2013, 11:00 PM

Be honest. How often do you run elite and what is party build?

No way you can gain a pve kdr that high running elite, mages land almost every kill.

inkredible
10-02-2013, 11:03 PM

getting way off topic here now guys..
lol

back to topic!

inkredible
10-02-2013, 11:04 PM
Be honest. How often do you run elite and what is party build?

No way you can gain a pve kdr that high running elite, mages land almost every kill.

talk outside the thread, and to answer you.. its called solo-ing lol

Crowsfoot
10-02-2013, 11:06 PM
talk outside the thread, and to answer you.. its called solo-ing lol

You can't solo elite overgrow. And fine, I will stop this chat line in thread.

Alfai
10-02-2013, 11:06 PM
Maul ink!

inkredible
10-02-2013, 11:27 PM
You can't solo elite overgrow. And fine, I will stop this chat line in thread.

pve kills - dont need to be elites tho

Crowsfoot
10-03-2013, 07:22 AM
pve kills - dont need to be elites tho

Read whole conversation, he is arguing is credibillity in elite strategies.

inkredible
10-03-2013, 02:09 PM
Read whole conversation, he is arguing is credibillity in elite strategies.

but youre talking about his pve kdr.. which isnt just plain elites.. nobody get a lot of pve kills in elites..

he obvs got his pve kills high more normal maps rather than elite..
.. is it just me or theres this whole miss communication here? lmao

just because hes talkin about strategies in elite.. doesnt really mean he got his pve kdr high from it..

inkredible
10-03-2013, 02:19 PM
Survivability? Uhm, no. Glaive has 117 more armor and a maul only has 105 more hp. AND, glaive has an armor buff.

dont forget maul proc
+60 str and -50% off enemy armor.. so really when u think of it

+117 armor + 350 dmg + amor buff + 35STR 300hp+(glaive proc ) diminishing armor buff vs (maul proc) +60STR about 600+ hp and ability to kill mobs faster due to -50% armor of mobs + around 500+ dmg

Frohnatur
10-04-2013, 12:04 AM
This is like a discussion apple vs pc. I guess. It depends on what u r doing mainly. Only thing I can add is that maul is the better pvp weapon. Died a lot because of that. Just my two cents

Haligali
10-04-2013, 04:59 AM
glaive, its cheaper.

inkredible
10-04-2013, 04:27 PM
glaive, its cheaper.

haha reasonable enough

inkredible
10-04-2013, 04:28 PM
This is like a discussion apple vs pc. I guess. It depends on what u r doing mainly. Only thing I can add is that maul is the better pvp weapon. Died a lot because of that. Just my two cents

yeah bec of the proc of maul is op.. but yeah ur right its liek apple (more expensive more ) vs Microsoft perfect comparison

tho a lot of people seems to like maul o.O

Aziiii
10-18-2013, 08:37 AM
leeeet's say a bump to this :D

inkredible
01-13-2014, 09:25 AM
bumping this thread bec someone is lookin for a screen shot to compare both

Hoardseeker
01-13-2014, 11:08 PM
DMG for warrior with all weapons/DPS for rogue with daggers/DMG for rogue with bow/DMG for sorc with all weapons

If I'm wrong correct me :)