PDA

View Full Version : Lightning Strike vs. Frost Bolt

SirMageR
10-03-2013, 04:09 PM
The Main Question: Which one is better for PvE: Lighting Strike or Frost Bolt? I see a LOT of people using Lightning Strike in PvE, but I use Frost Bolt (fully upgraded). I am curious as to why most people use Lightning Strike instead of Frost Bolt, because Frost Bolt has a freeze/stun effect, so surely that is better? Thanks for answers!

ilmf
10-03-2013, 05:48 PM
I use both. Light 3/5 and Frost 4/5 use other points for passives. Light gives me another attack option and is good for its crit chance against Bosses IMO. If I HAD to choose one or the other I'd drop light without a thought because of frost's AOE

Ixixix
10-03-2013, 05:51 PM
Frost is goodfor PVE as it slows down mobs and freeze them 20%.

Mages that are using lightning strike because it is more for PVP, they also use light for PVE because Frost is not part of their skillset i.e FB and Light

sanchomundo
10-03-2013, 06:20 PM
Seems like lightning with the crit bonus would be great for bosses. Mages already have a lot of mob-clearing skills. Why not dedicate one to bosses?

keikali
10-03-2013, 06:22 PM
Lighting is great for single targets like bosses mainly because of the 250% damage inrease on a critical hit.

Frost Bolt however is more of a crowd control skill to me although I do use it as an attack also. In elites, if you're within range a frost bolt basically can chain freeze the enemies in a group if they're snarrable.

Alhuntrazeck
10-03-2013, 08:03 PM
Thing is, if you don't use light you'll pretty much be helpless at boss battles - fire ice clock and shield/heal will not help you much. So some ppl rely on lihtning instead of speccing ice.

Spyce
10-03-2013, 09:19 PM
Light for PvP and Frost for PvE.

Kayoex
10-04-2013, 10:15 AM
lolsltahopyhdaonboianiosboitoi onspotnop if you can read this then you're amazing

Taejo
10-04-2013, 12:09 PM
Thing is, if you don't use light you'll pretty much be helpless at boss battles - fire ice clock and shield/heal will not help you much. So some ppl rely on lihtning instead of speccing ice.

Al, I don't find this to be very true in Shuyal. The boss encounters are very different from your average hack n' slash bosses like Nordr was. For the average group, encounters such as Wraith Heart and Ashral Heart require crowd control rather than shear damage bursts. Overgrowth is tricky, but you can still get away with using Frost just fine - that fight is more geared towards bringing a rogue or two anyway for its success. Captain Krom can go either way, but I'd rather have a sorcerer with me who has frost for clearing mobs than taking Krom down quicker - he's not a pushover anyway. So that really only leaves us with Ferrix and Inan'hesh where lightning really prevails over frost (in my opinion). The toughest part about Shuyal, mind you, is actually getting to the boss, which requires an immense amount of crowd control. So in light of that, I still choose frost bolt over lightning for PvE in Shuyal.

Of course, when choosing a skill its important to see the big picture of what you spend most of your time doing. If its places like Arena and PvP, then lightning (although I think Frost is good for PvP as well) may be your best bet.

matanofx
10-07-2013, 07:51 PM
Ill explain what i think is the answer to your question, or atleast it is from my point of view

Many of us dont use 5plat to respec everytime we switch from pve to pvp so we come up with somewhat of a mixed build

I for example use 5 skills- fire light clock heal shield-

Pvp- fire light heal shield
Pve- fire light clock shield/heal (switch between shield and heal or shield and clock sometimes)

If i felt i had more leftover skill points id also unlock ice bolt and replace it with light for pve but i simply cannot afford that so i use light for both pvp and pve.

Swoozay
10-10-2013, 01:24 PM
As many have said, depending on the bosses, both can be highly beneficial. Frost is hands doen an amazing skill to go with our other cc for mob clearing. I use 5 skills and switch to light at bosses that are more of a single target nuke. If you have to go with only one, i would say frostbolt imo as the damage is still very good even for single target.

drgrimmy
10-15-2013, 02:53 AM

As many have said, depending on the bosses, both can be highly beneficial. Frost is hands doen an amazing skill to go with our other cc for mob clearing. I use 5 skills and switch to light at bosses that are more of a single target nuke. If you have to go with only one, i would say frostbolt imo as the damage is still very good even for single target.

Ignoring the 250% crit damage of light, frost with its dot may actually do more damage than light with its 15% damage increase. Frost is actually a very good single target damage skill but also has the benefit of crowd control which light dies not have. If I would have to choose one for pve it would be frost, hands down. Better yet, get a four damage skill build with both frost and light :)

dilaudid25
10-16-2013, 08:24 AM
They use lightning in over because they don't know glen to play the game correctly. Fire and ice 5/5 time 4/5 and shield 4/5. With this build I can do elites alone without even using many pots. If they become really advanced they can use curse instead of shield but sometimes the shield is nice against elite bosses. The only way lighting is even a little useful is against bosses if it cries but that's what rogues are for xd

CouchPass
11-03-2013, 09:51 AM
Frost gives out pretty good Dmg though... .-.

Saribeau
11-04-2013, 08:43 AM
if you don't mind dying, use what i do with no shield. gale force, fire, clock, and heal. drop clock and freeze, the fireball stun, the if you need to stun + get away i use gale force. i've only died like 10 times though so i think its pretty effective

Saribeau
11-04-2013, 08:44 AM
and i wondered the same thing; it's a good question