PDA

View Full Version : Making Shadow Storm Shot a viable option...

Serancha
10-09-2013, 10:53 AM
I love testing builds on all classes, and of all skills on all classes, Shadow Storm Shot just plain falls short. You just need to look at the skills used by any number of rogues, and if they have played more than a month, they have figured this out. That skill isn't worth using as it is now.

Analysis:
It works great for killing wolves in Boulder, but really nothing else. After trying wistfully for weeks, I was unable to justify keeping this skill because it just falls so far behind the other options. Not only is the damage much lower, the range of the arrow is very short, very often will fly in the direction you are running rather than at your target, the cooldown is longer, and to get any decent effect you need to fully charge the attack. This wastes time and loses your crit stack, where nox would be giving you stacked dot's with each uncharged hit. So why even have Storm available when it lacks so much in comparison?

Suggestion:
I suggest increasing the impact damage of Shadow Storm Shot to something comparable to nox, fixing it's targeting so it works the same as nox/aimed, and perhaps adding a slight stun, root or dot effect to the shot (although the last might be too close to nox).

For the mana cost and extra cooldown time, this skill needs to have some actual oomph to make it a viable alternative. Right now it is not realistically usable, and is leaving rogues one skill option short.

Ravager
10-09-2013, 11:00 AM
I agree. I consider this skill and Warrior's rally cry the 2 worst skills in the game. Even when this skill is charged, the aoe range is very small. Maybe make a decent aoe range on the uncharged and a larger range on charged at the least.

Zuzeq
10-09-2013, 11:31 AM
Agreed SSS isn't even a thought. If they added a short stun and uped the damage it would be considered.

Soundlesskill
10-09-2013, 11:44 AM
I love testing builds on all classes, and of all skills on all classes, Shadow Storm Shot just plain falls short. You just need to look at the skills used by any number of rogues, and if they have played more than a month, they have figured this out. That skill isn't worth using as it is now.

Analysis:
It works great for killing wolves in Boulder, but really nothing else. After trying wistfully for weeks, I was unable to justify keeping this skill because it just falls so far behind the other options. Not only is the damage much lower, the range of the arrow is very short, very often will fly in the direction you are running rather than at your target, the cooldown is longer, and to get any decent effect you need to fully charge the attack. This wastes time and loses your crit stack, where nox would be giving you stacked dot's with each uncharged hit. So why even have Storm available when it lacks so much in comparison?

Suggestion:
I suggest increasing the impact damage of Shadow Storm Shot to something comparable to nox, fixing it's targeting so it works the same as nox/aimed, and perhaps adding a slight stun, root or dot effect to the shot (although the last might be too close to nox).

For the mana cost and extra cooldown time, this skill needs to have some actual oomph to make it a viable alternative. Right now it is not realistically usable, and is leaving rogues one skill option short.

I think it was meant to be 'this' weak was becase 3 decent shots in PvP would a lil' OP

Soundlesskill
10-09-2013, 11:45 AM
I agree. I consider this skill and Warrior's rally cry the 2 worst skills in the game. Even when this skill is charged, the aoe range is very small. Maybe make a decent aoe range on the uncharged and a larger range on charged at the least.

I think Cero and I used it in the tourney ;)

Serancha
10-09-2013, 11:50 AM
Yes, I understand the concept behind it, but it was seriously overcompensated, leaving the skill a dud.

Think about it, nox has good impact, albeit less than aimed shot, plus it had damage over time and additional aoe on charge. However, shadow storm was not given decent impact or range, nor does it have the time release poison of nox or the huge impact / crit of aimed. This is the problem. It is just not a viable option at the moment.

When almost all of the rogues in the game are not using a skill, it probably means there's something that needs fixing.

Zuzeq
10-09-2013, 12:15 PM
Yes, I understand the concept behind it, but it was seriously overcompensated, leaving the skill a dud.

Think about it, nox has good impact, albeit less than aimed shot, plus it had damage over time and additional aoe on charge. However, shadow storm was not given decent impact or range, nor does it have the time release poison of nox or the huge impact / crit of aimed. This is the problem. It is just not a viable option at the moment.

When almost all of the rogues in the game are not using a skill, it probably means there's something that needs fixing.

Yeah, I know like no one that uses this skill. 3 shots may be OP in PvP, but no more so than stunning a whole team with Fireball...soooo....

keikali
10-09-2013, 12:30 PM
Nah, rogues are already overpowered. Nerf them more. Leave this useless skill as is. They already have Nox for AOE damage.

Deadroth
10-09-2013, 12:36 PM
Nah, rogues are already overpowered. Nerf them more. Leave this useless skill as is. They already have Nox for AOE damage.

+1M and, GOOD idea :3

Jenvy
10-09-2013, 02:25 PM
I agree. With the exception of shadow shot, rogue skills are remarkably balanced. There is very little overlap in their primary functions.

AS is the central damage skill.
Traps are for mob control to maintain dagger aoe.
Pierce is for secondary pvp burst and speed farming.
Nox is for bow aoe and applies steady continuous damage.
Packs are for regen.
Veil is for buff/debuff support.
Razor is for aoe burst and acts as our 'escape' button.

Having another pure damage bow aoe skill that lacks a really useful secondary functionality just seems redundant. Sure SS has a little crit burst that will net you some quick aoe killshots when encountering groups of low level enemies, but at endgame, it ultimately falls short when compared to Nox's vastly superior stacking DOT.

Perhaps, one day, if we're lucky, they'll decide to just roll SSS and Nox into one talent. :applause:

Alfai
10-09-2013, 02:59 PM
Not sounding op.but id rather swap sss with new skill like invisibility cloak for example.so rogue can charge in and drop traps ehem.

Derezzzed
10-09-2013, 03:15 PM

Find it funny that your saying leave it as it is but if your own class had a useless skill you'd fully support it being changed

Zuzeq
10-09-2013, 03:16 PM
Not sounding op.but id rather swap sss with new skill like invisibility cloak for example.so rogue can charge in and drop traps ehem.

Like an Anti-Taunt? That would be boss. +1 for a Cloak skill. SSS looks so cool though, I wish Nox had the same impact effects except for green instead of blue.

Zuzeq
10-09-2013, 03:18 PM
Find it funny that your saying leave it as it is but if your own class had a useless skill you'd fully support it being changed

Whoa whoa, back off my peeps. It's Kei, I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm.

Derezzzed
10-09-2013, 03:20 PM

Like an Anti-Taunt? That would be boss. +1 for a Cloak skill. SSS looks so cool though, I wish Nox had the same impact effects except for green instead of blue.

Maybe make it Anti Taunt, can't be targeted for 0.5-1s, increase move speed & 5% dmg boost on next hit with a 30-45s cooldown

Zuzeq
10-09-2013, 03:27 PM
Or a decrease hit chance or armor debuff upgrade?

Drearivev
10-09-2013, 03:31 PM
Rally Cry is useful. At least, I find it so.....

On topic, I agree with this. Either change the skills' upgrades/whatever, or remove it entirely.

Derezzzed
10-09-2013, 03:39 PM
Or a decrease hit chance or armor debuff upgrade?

I like the idea but doesn't exactly fit with "invisibility" maybe the armor one does but there'd be way to many complaints about it

Serancha
10-09-2013, 04:55 PM
Maybe make it Anti Taunt, can't be targeted for 0.5-1s, increase move speed & 5% dmg boost on next hit with a 30-45s cooldown

But realistically, how much use would a 30-45 second c/d skill be used? The majority (note, I do not say all) of rogues have already ditched razor shield in favour of skills they can use more frequently.

In the recent free respec weekend I gave razor a valiant try in pvp, and personally, found the cooldown didn't justify it's benefits, so it was removed from my skill list. But even still, that skill has some merit and a handful of rogues still use it.

The point is, that for a third arrow skill shadow storm needs to be made a realistic option. As it stands now, it doesn't help on elites and won't do as well as other skills in pvp, so it is just wasted space.

Derezzzed
10-09-2013, 05:09 PM
But realistically, how much use would a 30-45 second c/d skill be used? The majority (note, I do not say all) of rogues have already ditched razor shield in favour of skills they can use more frequently.

In the recent free respec weekend I gave razor a valiant try in pvp, and personally, found the cooldown didn't justify it's benefits, so it was removed from my skill list. But even still, that skill has some merit and a handful of rogues still use it.

The point is, that for a third arrow skill shadow storm needs to be made a realistic option. As it stands now, it doesn't help on elites and won't do as well as other skills in pvp, so it is just wasted space.

I was referring to the "invisibilty cloak" option :p

For shadow storm shot remove the AOE upgrade & put it as part as the normal skill & replace it with 10% on normal, 25% on charged to terrify a opponent for 0.5-2s

Also remove the "dmg" upgrade add it to the normal part of the skill & replace it with 50% chance to lower enemy hit chance by 25% for 3-5s (same as scorch on fireball)

Crit upgrade would stay the same
(I'm missing one upgrade, forget what it is but it would stay the same)
Cool down would stay the same

Ravager
10-09-2013, 09:15 PM
Just dont replace it with the level 50 Mark of Death skill originally planned during the rollout of the game.

Psykopathic28
10-10-2013, 10:01 AM
My suggestion for SSS
Shadow Focus - increase damage by 35% on critical instead of 25
Dark damage - increase damage by 25% instead of 15%

Initial explosion on impact will cause AoE reduce enemy hit chance by 15% for 3 seconds

GoodSyntax
10-10-2013, 10:09 AM
Perhaps, all that is needed is to increase the damage that SSS delivers, increase the attack range and increase the number of affected targets. Other possibilities would include an "Arcane Patch" that can snare/root enemies in a 8m range, or some form of "spreading" DoT.

As others have said Nox is vastly superior in all aspects, from range to damage to number of targets.

Quite frankly, when I see a Rogue with SSS, the first thought that comes to mind is "nub," because I know how impotent this skill is after trying to work it in every time there is a free respec weekend.

Drearivev
10-10-2013, 06:01 PM
Perhaps, all that is needed is to increase the damage that SSS delivers, increase the attack range and increase the number of affected targets. Other possibilities would include an "Arcane Patch" that can snare/root enemies in a 8m range, or some form of "spreading" DoT.

As others have said Nox is vastly superior in all aspects, from range to damage to number of targets.

Quite frankly, when I see a Rogue with SSS, the first thought that comes to mind is "nub," because I know how impotent this skill is after trying to work it in every time there is a free respec weekend.
110% agree. Especially in PvP.

The initial damage should be increased. The range is fine, as it can hit as many targets as Nox can.

Alfai
10-11-2013, 01:54 AM
I dont mind sss be swapped with a new skill.as we hv aimed and nox for bows.
I vote invisibility cloak or stealth mode.rogue will be forced to make decision as stealth mode will decreases armour and few stats attributes but few sec cloaking to give em time to plan traps or strategize kiting.this could be fun

Psykopathic28
10-11-2013, 03:51 PM
What kinda noob archer can't shoot multiple arrows at once? Don't y'all watch any movies? Haha :)

Alrisaia
10-11-2013, 03:58 PM
The single thing rogues lack in this game is some form of stealth. The ability to be untargetable for a short period of time by MOBs or in PVP is an invaluable skill, if it would be OP, I don't know...

So… I propose that while stealth would be really cool for rogues, it might also be a coding nightmare for the development team. That being said, why not consider some other form of skill we lack, that being a nuke skill with our daggers that doesn’t shoot us across the map and cause us to attack backwards or attack a barrel that’s over on the side.

Here are some thoughts on skills that could replace SSS:

Shadow Blade Strike

2 Second Cool Down
DMG – on par with Aimed Shot
Shadow Blade Strike does an additional +15% damage when performed from inside a Shadow Veil (stacks with Shadow Veil)
Eviscerate

Damage from SBS ignores armor
SBS now has has an increased chance to crit of +25%
Cripple

Charging SBS will now snare your target and reduce his movement rate by 30% for 5 seconds movement rate is reduced by 60% if the enemy is within a shadow veil
Decapitate

Charging SBS provides a 1% chance to slay any living target with one strike (bosses not included)
Shadow Regeneration

Strikes from SBS will return 10% of the damage they inflict to the rogue, 20% if performed from within a Shadow Veil

================================================== =====================================

Mirror Image

12 second cool down
Creates a mirror image of the rogue that can be targeted (as a decoy) by players and MOBs
Charging the skill creates two mirror images.
They should have their own AI, and health & armor equal to the rogue’s at full HP, but can be destroyed by attacks
5 second duration
Cloned Images

Mirror image will now produce 2 instances of the rogue uncharged, and 3 charged.
Lingering Mirage

The images will remain in play for an additional 3 seconds
Instill Fear

Charged mirror images now have the chance to cause their targets to panic (similar to slag’s ability)
Parrying Rogues

Charging the skill provides the rogue with an increased dodge of 20% and reducing enemy’s chance to hit by 15% within a PBAOE of the images

Derezzzed
10-11-2013, 04:23 PM
The single thing rogues lack in this game is some form of stealth. The ability to be untargetable for a short period of time by MOBs or in PVP is an invaluable skill, if it would be OP, I don't know...

So… I propose that while stealth would be really cool for rogues, it might also be a coding nightmare for the development team. That being said, why not consider some other form of skill we lack, that being a nuke skill with our daggers that doesn’t shoot us across the map and cause us to attack backwards or attack a barrel that’s over on the side.

Here are some thoughts on skills that could replace SSS:

Shadow Blade Strike

2 Second Cool Down
DMG – on par with Aimed Shot
Shadow Blade Strike does an additional +15% damage when performed from inside a Shadow Veil (stacks with Shadow Veil)
Eviscerate

Damage from SBS ignores armor
SBS now has has an increased chance to crit of +25%
Cripple

Charging SBS will now snare your target and reduce his movement rate by 30% for 5 seconds movement rate is reduced by 60% if the enemy is within a shadow veil
Decapitate

Charging SBS provides a 1% chance to slay any living target with one strike (bosses not included)
Shadow Regeneration

Strikes from SBS will return 10% of the damage they inflict to the rogue, 20% if performed from within a Shadow Veil

================================================== =====================================

Mirror Image

12 second cool down
Creates a mirror image of the rogue that can be targeted (as a decoy) by players and MOBs
Charging the skill creates two mirror images.
They should have their own AI, and health & armor equal to the rogue’s at full HP, but can be destroyed by attacks
5 second duration
Cloned Images

Mirror image will now produce 2 instances of the rogue uncharged, and 3 charged.
Lingering Mirage

The images will remain in play for an additional 3 seconds
Instill Fear

Charged mirror images now have the chance to cause their targets to panic (similar to slag’s ability)
Parrying Rogues

Charging the skill provides the rogue with an increased dodge of 20% and reducing enemy’s chance to hit by 15% within a PBAOE of the images

O.O I really REALLY like these suggestions

I'm assuming shadow blade strike would be single target? & it should have the same or a little more of a CD than aimed shot, also maybe raise that insta kill chance to 5% inside of shadow veil