PDA

View Full Version : One Hit KOs from Game Bosses are Not Bugs

Linkincena
10-14-2013, 07:22 AM
After reading so many posts on one hits from bosses.. this has what finally been understood. .:

These one hits are deliberately kept in game to control the economy. ..

How?

People restrain from killing these hard bosses...
This inturn reduces good items from flooding the auction and stops price fall...
So game season runs longer in the ensuing struggle...

Also.. people get encouraged to use plats to kill these bosses... :)

There are many other aspects seeming to be bugs in game... (eg:Hit outside red zones)
HOWEVER they are not :)

Pl correct me if u think this post needs correction...
N I hope it helps newbies understand the game from the start...

This is the game's hidden message: U don't get to the top easy :) ..so spend money n get greedy xD

Maxcd
10-14-2013, 09:21 AM
How do you know this? or is this just a theory?

matanofx
10-14-2013, 09:41 AM
It is obviously a theory as linkincena is neither a dev nor is he a mod, but after reading i completely agree

How can it be a bug if so many of those bosses 1 hit kill? bugs are supposed to be rare and fixed when warned about to the sts team.

Crowsfoot
10-14-2013, 09:54 AM
False. I can, and have, run every map without dying in a pro party.

You need gear, skill, build, and strategy. Its a hard game.

Rare
10-14-2013, 10:01 AM
False. I can, and have, run every map without dying in a pro party.

You need gear, skill, build, and strategy. Its a hard game.

Are you saying you have never been one hit killed?

But yes, you're right, if you get a party of all "pros" its possible to make it through a map and not die. So, everyone just needs to get their pros together and run.

drgrimmy
10-14-2013, 10:11 AM
Of course they are not bugs. Although to be honest I never thought they were bugs, just a business decision to get us to spend plat (I highly doubt that it is a measure to control the economy). Further evidence that it was designed this way is how easy it was for them to reduce the damage of frostbite's pull and bloodhammer's shellshock only after persistent outrage by the community.

Desperoto
10-14-2013, 10:28 AM
Nobody said it was a bug, they said that the red zone is bugged, sometimes u get one hitted while u aren't in the red zone. Troll bosses like Glob, frostir and krunch have this fake red zones :(

Linkincena
10-14-2013, 11:14 AM
Nobody said it was a bug, they said that the red zone is bugged, sometimes u get one hitted while u aren't in the red zone. Troll bosses like Glob, frostir and krunch have this fake red zones :(
Those hit outside red zones?.. They are easy to fix.. don't u think? :)
Those are not bugs either ;)

FluffNStuff
10-14-2013, 11:24 AM
How many One Hit KO's are One hit KO's? A One Hit KO is death from a single shot from a full health bar. I get 'oops/lag' KO'd all the time which is what they mostly are.
Ooops KO is when you take a couple small hits that erodes your bar THEN take a massive hit before you slam the pots, thinking you had time to get to it (Bosses with minions do this to me all the time).
Lag KO's LOOK like One Hit KO's because you see your bar disappear instantly but in truth you took more then one hit but did not see them because of the lag, you only see the COMBINED total devastation.

So are they bugs? The only BUG is that LAG is the deadliest killer in the game, and there is nothing they can do about it because if they change the system then it will be exploited (if you can survive on lag, you can put yourself in lag on purpose).

Linkincena
10-14-2013, 11:29 AM
How many One Hit KO's are One hit KO's? A One Hit KO is death from a single shot from a full health bar. I get 'oops/lag' KO'd all the time which is what they mostly are.
Ooops KO is when you take a couple small hits that erodes your bar THEN take a massive hit before you slam the pots, thinking you had time to get to it (Bosses with minions do this to me all the time).
Lag KO's LOOK like One Hit KO's because you see your bar disappear instantly but in truth you took more then one hit but did not see them because of the lag, you only see the COMBINED total devastation.

So are they bugs? The only BUG is that LAG is the deadliest killer in the game, and there is nothing they can do about it because if they change the system then it will be exploited (if you can survive on lag, you can put yourself in lag on purpose).

Ooooh
. The Boss is faster than superman.. xD

Well ask those who are on 50 Mbps connection and they get 1 hit by oltgar or bloodhammer :)

Ebezaanec
10-14-2013, 11:31 AM

In short... Lag sucks ;)

FluffNStuff
10-14-2013, 11:34 AM
Ooooh
. The Boss is faster than superman.. xD

Well ask those who are on 50 Mbps connection and they get 1 hit by oltgar or bloodhammer :)

I am on a 50 Mbps (FIOS) Connection in DC (Servers are Hosted in Virginia) and I still get lag. And I ask again, are you SURE they getting One Hit or multi-hit? And if One Hit, are they in the Red Zone?

Linkincena
10-14-2013, 11:38 AM
I am on a 50 Mbps (FIOS) Connection in DC (Servers are Hosted in Virginia) and I still get lag. And I ask again, are you SURE they getting One Hit or multi-hit? And if One Hit, are they in the Red Zone?
Multi hits are there... n so are 6k hits and 7k hits :)
Proof?
Check out the technical bugs section :)

FluffNStuff
10-14-2013, 01:21 PM
Multi hits are there... n so are 6k hits and 7k hits :)
Proof?
Check out the technical bugs section :)

6-7K Hits SHOULD only occur in the red zone. As has been stated by Dev's (and this SACKS) it is the Red Zone on the server, not the client. They don't always match, and that is LAG [AGGGGGGG ... toss the device and scream].
But players who get One Hit are not ALWAYS getting 6-7K damage, some times it is much lower, but consider if a boss hits for a nice low 2K (after armor) and you have 3K health. Boss can EASILY hit you twice in a mini-lag-spike ... once again causing you to toss the device and scream.

Hmm, wonder if it is no longer Lag, and more that my poor device has been tossed so many times ;)

Rare
10-14-2013, 01:50 PM
6-7K Hits SHOULD only occur in the red zone. As has been stated by Dev's (and this SACKS) it is the Red Zone on the server, not the client. They don't always match, and that is LAG [AGGGGGGG ... toss the device and scream].
But players who get One Hit are not ALWAYS getting 6-7K damage, some times it is much lower, but consider if a boss hits for a nice low 2K (after armor) and you have 3K health. Boss can EASILY hit you twice in a mini-lag-spike ... once again causing you to toss the device and scream.

Hmm, wonder if it is no longer Lag, and more that my poor device has been tossed so many times ;)

Meh... that claim is wrong. However they cut it. I've been outside the red zone hit in Nordr many times. Its not lag.

Funny thing is, when I go back to Kraken, it doens't happen. So, maybe its just Nordr that lags a lot and has this problem? Don't have a large enough sample size in Shuyal, but I have seen it happen on occasion.

FluffNStuff
10-14-2013, 01:57 PM
Meh... that claim is wrong. However they cut it. I've been outside the red zone hit in Nordr many times. Its not lag.

Funny thing is, when I go back to Kraken, it doens't happen. So, maybe its just Nordr that lags a lot and has this problem? Don't have a large enough sample size in Shuyal, but I have seen it happen on occasion.

Can't say for sure, but Nordr is hell when it comes to lag because you get lag stuck to ice so you ~think~ you have moved out but in reality you are glued there and dead and the server just has not told you yet. Happens most with any movement skills like shadow pierce, as it looks like you 'flew over the ice' but nope, your dead.

Rare
10-14-2013, 02:03 PM
Can't say for sure, but Nordr is hell when it comes to lag because you get lag stuck to ice so you ~think~ you have moved out but in reality you are glued there and dead and the server just has not told you yet. Happens most with any movement skills like shadow pierce, as it looks like you 'flew over the ice' but nope, your dead.

I understand what you're saying. But its not the case. I've had lag deaths. But the situations I'm talking about my ping is always green. Nothing else is lagging. Unless the claim is that its magical lag, in which case there is no proof because there is always some latency between when you get killed and when you can check your ping. Maybe it magically spikes for those couple of seconds.

The only reason I say it isn't the case, is because over large sample sizes I never saw this outside the redzone issue happen in Kraken. But it happened frequently in Nordr (ice patches or not, e.g. Frostir). Even in normal Shuyal I've seen it

FluffNStuff
10-14-2013, 02:08 PM
I understand what you're saying. But its not the case. I've had lag deaths. But the situations I'm talking about my ping is always green. Nothing else is lagging. Unless the claim is that its magical lag, in which case there is no proof because there is always some latency between when you get killed and when you can check your ping. Maybe it magically spikes for those couple of seconds.

The only reason I say it isn't the case, is because over large sample sizes I never saw this outside the redzone issue happen in Kraken. But it happened frequently in Nordr (ice patches or not, e.g. Frostir). Even in normal Shuyal I've seen it

Do you get one hit KO'd INSIDE the red zone in Kracken?

Rare
10-14-2013, 02:22 PM
Do you get one hit KO'd INSIDE the red zone in Kracken?

I did by blood hammer at lvl 31. Haven't tried since lvl 35/36. But really, I guess this issue isn't about getting one hit. Its about getting hit outside the red zone, period. Just so happens that in Nordr its a lot easier to get one hit KO'd inside. So when you get hit outside the red zone you are still getting one hit KO'd. Make sense?

Fluff are you saying you've never experienced this? Or that you believe it all has to do with lag? I find that hard to believe man. I've encountered it soo often. Now, luckily, since I've been using mythics its more just a "One hit ALMOST KO outside the red zone". But, I haven't partaken in Elite Shuyal really yet.

wvhills
10-14-2013, 02:55 PM
i agree with aedenos. the red zones in nord were bugged big time. they fixed all of them except spider tho. frostnir was especially bad about 1 hit outside red zones but they fixed him. i haven't had any problem with getting one hit in shuyal tho.

falmear
10-14-2013, 06:26 PM
Elite Inan will one hit you outside the red zone. He has the similar red zone as Frostr. And Frostr still hits me outside the red zone.

Drearivev
10-14-2013, 07:00 PM
The bosses that have "levels" (they get more powerful as their health goes down) like Grimnr and Inan' hesh have bigger red zones when they are getting stronger. I think once Inan' hesh is enraged, the red zone area is increased, but the actual red zone you see is still the same as when he wasn't enraged. I believe Frostir also gets stronger overtime.

That's just what I think.

Roberto077
10-14-2013, 07:02 PM
I believe this is what we call obvious.

Alfai
10-14-2013, 07:43 PM
Theres still a one hit knockout.and tht aint so much of a challenge.rather than remake/reset hoping for some luck.but this event occur very less now.

Another that make it seems a KO shot is vicious combo.when you are badly damaged after a special ability the boss (i.e mardom) come with immediate slashing that sent you to hell.its too fast so it seems like a KO.potting insanity wont give you the sufficient healing amount to recover.

Its a hack and slash but complicated than it seems.most finger need to be alive.if you are a tap2 champ should be peanuts then.

This aint theory.tested.and talking from experience in game.

Energizeric
10-14-2013, 08:37 PM
I agree with the OP. There are 3 ways to control the number of good items dropping:

1) Keep the drop rate super low -- problem with this is that players lose interest in farming.

2) Make the boss take a super long time to defeat, i.e. very high health. They have tried this in PL with some success, and they tried this in season 1 in AL with a couple of the elite bosses. This seems to discourage players from farming as well. Nobody wants to bother if it takes a half hour to defeat the boss.

3) Keep the drop rate decent, make it so it only takes a short time to beat the boss, but make the boss super powerful so he is HARD to beat and he easily kills the party. This seems to be the most successful method. Players stay interested because there's a decent drop rate, it doesn't take that long to beat the boss, and if you die, no big deal, you just try again.

Also, #3 results in some revenue for STS in the forum of plat revives.

Taejo
10-14-2013, 08:54 PM
and if you die, no big deal, you just try again.

Exactly. A dev (either Samhayne or Carapace) stated back in April or so that the reason bosses have 1-hit abilities is simply to add a challenging element to the game (and like Energizeric mentioned, a source of revenue from plat revives). As I've said in the past, there are no repercussions to dying in this game other than a tally mark on your "deaths" count and, if the timing is bad, missing out on the loot. However, it could be much worse and similar to other games where you either lose XP, have to run back to your corpse from another zone, or your equipment takes a durability hit, etc. I'd much rather play a game like this where all I have to do is spend 30 seconds (on average) running back to the fight with nothing to lose. Most of the 1-hit shots can be avoided anyway. Some players here don't realize how good they have it here in AL.

Granted, there are multiple bosses who act funky with their red zones (facing the wrong way graphically or are actually in a different location than what is displayed) which contribute to annoyances in the game. I imagine it requires a new client and is on the "To Do List" along with fixing passive skill attributes.

Ebezaanec
10-14-2013, 09:00 PM
Exactly. A dev (either Samhayne or Carapace) stated back in April or so that the reason bosses have 1-hit abilities is simply to add a challenging element to the game (and like Energizeric mentioned, a source of revenue from plat revives). As I've said in the past, there are no repercussions to dying in this game other than a tally mark on your "deaths" count and, if the timing is bad, missing out on the loot. However, it could be much worse and similar to other games where you either lose XP, have to run back to your corpse from another zone, or your equipment takes a durability hit, etc. I'd much rather play a game where all I have to do is spend 30 seconds (on average) running back to the fight with nothing to lose. Most of the 1-hit shots can be avoided anyway.

Granted, there are multiple bosses who act funky with their red zones (facing the wrong way graphically or are actually in a different location than what is displayed) which contribute to annoyances in the game. I imagine it requires a new client and is on the "To Do List" along with fixing passive skill attributes.

Hmm.. Seems like they have quite a long "To Do List." Passives have been like that for a while. ;)

And yes, there are a lot more hardcore mmos. I used to play some that forced you to run back and retrieve all your weapons and gear after dying.

Has anyone played Everquest and fought Kerafyrm? That boss had so many nasty KO's and he majorly deleveled you several times during the fight. We had a full server of players and could only kill him after they nerfed his health pool after a couple of weeks.

Anyways.. I honestly like AL's system. It mixes hardcore and casual gaming without leaning toward one or the other. It is a nice balance that keeps me playing and doesn't make me utterly frustrated.

Either way... KDR means nothing. Its just an number. :)

faychen
10-14-2013, 09:13 PM

I thouth it was my ping (again) that fake me to see my rogue step out of red zone in time but actually it was lagging.

Sent from my LT26ii using Tapatalk 4

faychen
10-14-2013, 09:18 PM

Happened to my rogue too :/

Sent from my LT26ii using Tapatalk 4

Taejo
10-14-2013, 09:34 PM
Has anyone played Everquest and fought Kerafyrm?

Yes, EverQuest is the basis for any resilience I may have when it comes to dealing with or explaining these types of "issues" in a game.

Zeus
10-15-2013, 12:55 AM
Thanks Link for something that a lot of people need to understand. :)

FluffNStuff
10-15-2013, 12:03 PM
The bosses that have "levels" (they get more powerful as their health goes down) like Grimnr and Inan' hesh have bigger red zones when they are getting stronger. I think once Inan' hesh is enraged, the red zone area is increased, but the actual red zone you see is still the same as when he wasn't enraged. I believe Frostir also gets stronger overtime.

That's just what I think.

I have to put my tokens in this.
I used to try to solo Frostir all the time and without fail the battle was the same. Chance of me dying before he was below 25% health was practically zero. Chance of me dying once he was below 25% health was guaranteed. Once he was almost dead I would start insta dying almost constantly.
The cynic in me says this is pure evil plat manipulation since the more you have done, the more likely you are to pay to preserve it.

wvhills
10-15-2013, 12:25 PM
^^^not a fluff post. :)

katish
10-15-2013, 03:08 PM
Of course they are not bugs. Although to be honest I never thought they were bugs, just a business decision to get us to spend plat (I highly doubt that it is a measure to control the economy). Further evidence that it was designed this way is how easy it was for them to reduce the damage of frostbite's pull and bloodhammer's shellshock only after persistent outrage by the community.

And yet nordr bosses still extend beyond their red zone, and the spider reaches behind itself.. it's crazy. I got tired of complaining.

Drearivev
10-15-2013, 03:58 PM
I used to try to solo Frostir all the time and without fail the battle was the same. Chance of me dying before he was below 25% health was practically zero. Chance of me dying once he was below 25% health was guaranteed. Once he was almost dead I would start insta dying almost constantly.
The cynic in me says this is pure evil plat manipulation since the more you have done, the more likely you are to pay to preserve it.
I can't tell if you're saying you're agreeing to what I said or if you're against it...

@Katish: yep same thing has happened to me multiple times. Frostbite has it's pull in attack even behind it, which is pretty darn unfair...

Limitational
10-15-2013, 04:55 PM
I don't agree its a bug. However..... Why even add red zones if im going to die a second or two seconds after i manage to escape it? Take the red zone wind ups out altogether so you don't lie to us. You want us to spam plat revives. Plain and simple.

I'll gladly post videos of the fools saying its "lag" . I play on pc. My connection is never above 35 ping. If I was playing on a device then yeah sure you can say that. Its clear as day the devs put these "fake zones" in to force us to plat revive otherwise we lose out on our loot.

octavos
10-15-2013, 05:11 PM

Nuris all over again...thats why im in BD :)

Jexetta
10-15-2013, 05:27 PM
Frostr is one of the few bosses where you need to be out of the red zone as soon as you see it. Even if you manage to get out, unless you move your butt and get out quickly you get hit - the solution is to just use a decent pet with movement speed. If you use a pet like slag you have two chances - the movement speed to get out of the red zone and the stun aoe to maybe stun him before he uses the skill.

For Frostbite you can't side step the pull - but you can just run out of range and it won't hit you. For the ice patches just find someone who actually knows how to use Misty.

If you have issues with getting hit with any boss just play on the edge of where his area of effect skills hit (unless you're a warrior) - yeah, you won't kill any boss the fastest this way but it's pretty safe.

Darkness1992
10-15-2013, 05:41 PM
The solution more or less would to be to add something similar to health gating. If your level 36 and max geared. a boss should not have the ability to one shot you for bs reasons, Especially if your in endgame gear. thats just wrong tbh.
ive played other MMO's where the game had this same problem, Solution? added health gate. Ofc it'd take some tweaking but it should be in the game still. I can understand maybe if a boss nearly one shots you then two hits you. Granted. But full on one hit when im in literally the best setup gold can get you? ...

Drearivev
10-15-2013, 06:00 PM
The solution more or less would to be to add something similar to health gating. If your level 36 and max geared. a boss should not have the ability to one shot you for bs reasons, Especially if your in endgame gear. thats just wrong tbh.
ive played other MMO's where the game had this same problem, Solution? added health gate. Ofc it'd take some tweaking but it should be in the game still. I can understand maybe if a boss nearly one shots you then two hits you. Granted. But full on one hit when im in literally the best setup gold can get you? ...
What is a health gate?

bhutkeyur
10-15-2013, 06:57 PM
in arena and nordor
annoying bugs

Maunyabastian
10-17-2013, 06:41 AM
It's not a bug. Bugs are always there, we don't always one hit bosses.

Rare
10-17-2013, 10:42 AM
It's not a bug. Bugs are always there, we don't always one hit bosses.

Hmmm. not sure what you mean.

Amazonina
10-17-2013, 04:22 PM
I never die! JK its either lag or stupidity on my part. Thus, lag is the worst thing out there. I think its fair to say red zone means GET THE HELL OUT OF IT!. Like krunch for instance, kill a tank with maul full mythic is the funniest thing I seen lol. Im good shooting arrows, but I think they need to nerf krunch and bael. Just to dang hard :/

Kraoracha
10-18-2013, 06:39 AM
I thought Krunch was invincible, since we kept hitting him but he didnt get weaker, then he just hit and we were all dead all the time, guess we just werent good enough.

Linkincena
04-09-2014, 12:37 PM
Well Now Nordr bosses are not 1 hitting at Lvl 41 I hope :)

Hummer
04-09-2014, 01:23 PM
Elites are OP!!! Nerf nerf nerf nerf

notfaded1
04-09-2014, 02:04 PM
Well Now Nordr bosses are not 1 hitting at Lvl 41 I hope :)

I didn't even think the bosses were the problem once Nordr was scaled up... it was the mobs that were killing our party that didn't use to...

Crowsfoot
04-09-2014, 03:02 PM
I didn't even think the bosses were the problem once Nordr was scaled up... it was the mobs that were killing our party that didn't use to...
Giant glacians are a pain :/

Hectororius
04-09-2014, 03:32 PM
lol Nice Necro. Took me a few posts realize this was going back to October.

I'll just re-iterate what i've said before. Yes one hits are ok in a game, but when you are dealing with server/clients and issues of lag and latency exist, there needs to be some build in failsafe that ensures that if you do get out of the red zone in time, you dont end up dead regardless. This issue has been addressed already, quite well and the runs have gotten better. Do we still die at bosses? Yes, but at least the situation has improved and it doesn't feel like a plat sink running the maps.

ps - nordr and shuyal will always remain difficult because of the environmental hazards present in these stages.

Anarchist
04-09-2014, 05:18 PM
[...]And Linkincena called the dead thread out of its grave.

afrobug
04-09-2014, 06:08 PM
Lol I didn't notice the date the thread was created and rather enjoyed reading comments. Anyway I run elite oltgar so much with pugs and it seems red zones were minimized and made frostir move a bit slower when his health is below 25% compared to last season so it's much easier to get out or hit George's AA in time to prevent him from doing one hit KO. Haven't tried doing the rest of the maps in nordr though.

toughenn
04-09-2014, 07:58 PM
die outside red zone = your lagging... you need <100 ping to be ok.... if you always die outside red zone, then start using running pet 10%+ then you will be ok.

Linkincena
04-09-2014, 09:54 PM
Another Thing that I figured out was that My phone had apps that block my phone's processor and RAM sometimes..
Which then looks like lag...
If in any map.. the mob size increases.. Processor and Graphics card on your device will take time for making frames on your screen..

This may effect ping if your processor is blocked by apps in background. .

Apps like : Anti virus; Live wallpapers or other malicious softwares cause lag too