PDA

View Full Version : Pl is getting a bit slow?

Kingzila
10-15-2013, 02:24 PM
So wile most may of noticed this when joining areas or matches it is becoming more and more noticeable as I start playing more often. So here's what I got: I've de-installed pl 3 times this week and that did not fix it and I checked my Internet speed and I'm running pretty good (about 23 up 17 down) and for that matter I hear more ppl saying there lagging more often. So is this just a spotty server day?

programmed
10-15-2013, 02:32 PM
I can't really relate to what you mean because I am always lagging but its my connection due to the fact that the only Internet company available to my area is also the worst one around. And the more people that use that company that are using the Internet, the more I lag or lose Internet. It sucks and its hard to play anything like that but its a fact in life that I just have to deal with.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Aerospacegod
10-15-2013, 02:34 PM
A bit? lol

It's been lagging like crazy off and on the past 2 weeks or so. It's not you, or me, as it effects everyone in the room. I'm guessing since PL is no longer a priority adding servers for them is never going to happen and this will get worse and worse until PL dies.

That was quite a depressing thought. I'm usually the eternal optimist!

MightyMicah
10-15-2013, 02:51 PM
Ask the technical geniuses on these forums.

As for myself, my lag has been horrendous lately. People teleporting everywhere, bears slashing me from 12m, and my repulse shot bringing people closer to me, rather than shooting them away O.o

Somemager
10-15-2013, 04:17 PM
Yeah its maybe the antennas on your devices or just the servers my Ipad 2 always has 70-150 ping no spikes or lag but lately my kindle fire has been lag spiking all over hitting 600-1k ping instead of my usual 50-150 ping.

DocDoBig
10-15-2013, 04:45 PM
If you say 23 or 17 do you mean ping?

Have you checked the battery saver option if it's turned on or vice versa? It's the super lag maker, a friend of me had the same problem until I told him to check his options.

Here is what i mean:

Hook
10-15-2013, 05:51 PM

Have you checked the battery saver option if it's turned on or vice versa? It's the super lag maker, a friend of me had the same problem until I told him to check his options.

Here is what i mean:

I think he ment 23 megabytes and 17 megabytes (the download and upload measurements when checking internet speed).

My LG phone runs on a 4G network.

I get an average of 2-4MB Download/Upload during the day and boosts to 5-8MB download/upload at night.

This is a decent connection that very rarely makes my internet-based Apps Lag.

BUT pocket legends never fails to Lag, even at night when im on blazing fast speed.

I Assume its because of the force that is required to run it. Im talking about mobile users. A good sign that PL takes a lot to run is the fact that it overheats most phones. I notice when my phone is hot, the game lags more.

One more thing. I actually live in Dallas,TX.
Not very far from Austin.
You would assume with my good connection and close to the servers, id never have lag.
But..
I notice when there are various people present in a Map (pve or pvp) that are not in the US, example, maybe they are from Europe.
& if they have a bad connection , they actually affect my connection.
I dont know why or how.
But this always leads me to blame other players for my lag.
It sucks. I agree that it must be related to the STS servers but at the same time it is a big Mmorpg and maybe lag is inevitable.

Kingzila
10-15-2013, 10:01 PM
A bit? lol

It's been lagging like crazy off and on the past 2 weeks or so. It's not you, or me, as it effects everyone in the room. I'm guessing since PL is no longer a priority adding servers for them is never going to happen and this will get worse and worse until PL dies.

That was quite a depressing thought. I'm usually the eternal optimist!

Yah I thought that's what it was that's sad

Kingzila
10-15-2013, 10:08 PM
I think he ment 23 megabytes and 17 megabytes (the download and upload measurements when checking internet speed).

I get an average of 2-4MB Download/Upload during the day and boosts to 5-8MB download/upload at night.

BUT pocket legends never fails to Lag, even at night when im on blazing fast speed.

I Assume its because of the force that is required to run it. Im talking about mobile users. A good sign that PL takes a lot to run is the fact that it overheats most phones. I notice when my phone is hot, the game lags more.

You would assume with my good connection and close to the servers, id never have lag.
But..
I notice when there are various people present in a Map (pve or pvp) that are not in the US, example, maybe they are from Europe.
I dont know why or how.
It sucks. I agree that it must be related to the STS servers but at the same time it is a big Mmorpg and maybe lag is inevitable.

Wile I do agree mobile systems can heat up and lag that's not the case here with me running pl on my ipad 2 which is running cold constantly never have had it get hot for that matter:/. What I believe is happening is there lowering pl's servers and that's what's causing this flop of sudden lag everyone has been getting side the word of (no cap of content on the horizon was posted)

Kingzila
10-15-2013, 10:10 PM

Here is what i mean:
And lastly I mean megabits on Internet speed and I have my battery settings maxed out on top of that I've been playing 3 years so I know this option but thank you for saying it anyways.

IGN Storm
10-15-2013, 10:36 PM

Here is what i mean:

So to reduce lag should I set it to save more or save less?

ThePvpTwink
10-15-2013, 10:45 PM
So to reduce lag should I set it to save more or save less?

Save less will make it less laggy/slow but drain your battery so much faster...

Hook
10-15-2013, 11:34 PM

But..
I dont know why or how.

Wile I do agree mobile systems can heat up and lag that's not the case here with me running pl on my ipad 2 which is running cold constantly never have had it get hot for that matter:/. What I believe is happening is there lowering pl's servers and that's what's causing this flop of sudden lag everyone has been getting side the word of (no cap of content on the horizon was posted)

Well if you are on an Ipad and are in fast speed such as Maxed Wifi or 4g, and all your other apps run perfectly, fast and smooth, such as the Internet Browser then one would assume its not one's internet connection.

I actually wouldn't like that answer from a Developer, if i was to ask why PL lags.

Something along the lines of "You are lagging because your internet connection is slow or you have too much stuff in the background running".

Anyways, I've never played Al.
Who in this thread plays Al?

Can one of you verify for me, if the lag on PL, is as common as it is on Al? Or does Al really do have less lag because of what most of us are mentioning ?(The Servers)

Battle Dragons never lags on me. But It is a very simple game.

WhoIsThis
10-15-2013, 11:40 PM
Is it just PL or is it everything else? It could be their data center. If I recall (devs please correct if I am wrong), PL and all of STS games are currently using the North Virginia data center from Amazon. Let's just say that from talking with system administrators, many of them say that the Amazon center is not the most reliable. They do offer very competitive rates, but it's not always a reliable connection.

See if it goes away after time and test out other STS games. If all STS games lag, it's not your connection, it's the Amazon data center, which unfortunately is beyond the control of STS.

VenomsChaos
10-16-2013, 12:42 AM
before i wasnt know pl lag mean, never laged, but last weeks laging... i am on same device " rooted and everything off " still laging.. just tryed AL after read that topic, and AL not have lag... maybe pl lag, or maybe my download AL time my lag gone thats why AL non lag..

my opinion PL geting last breaths thats the reason of lag :))

Kiwihawk
10-16-2013, 12:52 AM
When Ever Angel Lags, She Blames It On Me

Hook
10-16-2013, 12:58 AM
Is it just PL or is it everything else? It could be their data center. If I recall (devs please correct if I am wrong), PL and all of STS games are currently using the North Virginia data center from Amazon. Let's just say that from talking with system administrators, many of them say that the Amazon center is not the most reliable. They do offer very competitive rates, but it's not always a reliable connection.

See if it goes away after time and test out other STS games. If all STS games lag, it's not your connection, it's the Amazon data center, which unfortunately is beyond the control of STS.

Interesting, never knew that. I just got done playing pl. Ping in pvp was green for a few mins. Then mad Red 1000+ minutes after. I just left because I couldnt even do anything. Checked my internet speed , and its pretty fast at the moment. Almost 1 a.m here and getting 7.5MBS download speed on 4G. Posting screenshot.Definitely not my internet connection. :(
I dnt know whats going on :/
Maybe the servers are in their last run (close to being outdated)
:eek:

Hook
10-16-2013, 12:59 AM
my opinion PL geting last breaths thats the reason of lag :))

I Agree.

Extreme
10-16-2013, 04:16 AM
Phew. Thought it was my internet.

Elitephonix
10-16-2013, 09:09 PM
Don't sit behind mcdonalds.

Zeus
10-16-2013, 09:58 PM

Actually, no, it's your internet connection.

Read this article thoroughly and perform the tests: http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?98791-Identifying-Symptoms-Why-am-I-lagging

@Occult
Cellular signals aren't meant to be constantly streaming like WiFi is. Therefore, there's always going to be some period of time where internet isn't reaching your phone as 4G & Cellular Internet works in waves. So... that's why you see your ping spike up to 1000 at times. Cellular internet is often the worst way to play.

Secondly, internet browsing is much different from playing an online game. An online game requires a constant heartbeat like connection to the server. However, while internet browsing, it's very hard to determine how good your WiFI is able to keep a heartbeat like, constant connection, unless your internet completely goes down.

Hook
10-17-2013, 12:55 AM

Read this article thoroughly and perform the tests: http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?98791-Identifying-Symptoms-Why-am-I-lagging

@Occult
Cellular signals aren't meant to be constantly streaming like WiFi is. Therefore, there's always going to be some period of time where internet isn't reaching your phone as 4G & Cellular Internet works in waves. So... that's why you see your ping spike up to 1000 at times. Cellular internet is often the worst way to play.

Secondly, internet browsing is much different from playing an online game. An online game requires a constant heartbeat like connection to the server. However, while internet browsing, it's very hard to determine how good your WiFI is able to keep a heartbeat like, constant connection, unless your internet completely goes down.

I hear you bro but for example, everyone knows phone signals are maxed at midnight. For instance it's 12:44 a.m here. Blazing cellular signal. I know 100% that my signal is having no "irregular heartbeats" right now. YouTube Videos load in a blast . Other "large" mobile game apps that require an internet connection are running with no lag. However, when i Log in PL i encounter more lag then I would expect at this time of the night.

If its not "other's people connection" thats ruining my PL connection then , that's why I lead towards the servers. I mean even people on PC's running on chrome complain about the often lag.
That right there tells me something's wrong.

Unfortunately , I know almost nothing about the technology or developing side of these servers used so Im speaking purely on common sense.
Its just hard to believe its my connection, even if its cellular, when the other 99% of what I run, runs smooth.

Oldcoot
10-17-2013, 01:36 AM

Lol, you have to go in to get the good signal

Fusionstrike
10-17-2013, 11:34 AM
A few things.

When people talk about "lag" on PL, they're talking about latency. That is, how long it takes to get information to and from the PL servers. However, the amount of data PL is transferring is not really that large, so measuring your bandwidth isn't a meaningful metric. That is, saying "I measured 20/15 why am I still lagging?" doesn't make sense. It's not about how much data you can transfer at once, it's about how much delay you're experiencing in getting it to you, a.k.a. latency.

This is Apollo's point, that cell-based connections are not that great at providing and maintaining low latency. There are lots of reasons that I won't try to go into, but you're always going to get a lower and more consistent latency over your personal wifi (which is nearby, serves a small number of devices, and backhauls to the internet over a wire) than you will on a cell link.

Also, comparing PL performance to other types of applications like YouTube doesn't make sense. Streaming media like youtube uses buffering to compensate for erratic latency, smoothing over the "ping spikes" that are present in the cell connection. So your video appears to play without any "lag", but that's only because the app playing it buffers up enough of the stream to keep playing smoothly even when the data that it will need to play in 10 or 20 seconds is slow to arrive.

PL, on the other hand, does not have the luxury of being able to buffer up data to smooth things out. You need to see what's happening in real time to keep up with other users, so any little hiccup in your link is going to be very noticeable, e.g. in the form of your PvP opponent "teleporting" around. Anyone who has a lower-latency link operates with a significant advantage. Being close to the data center may help a tiny bit, but this advantage will be dwarfed by the effect of high latency. So someone playing on a high-latency cell link just down the block from the data center is still going to experience worse overall performance than someone across the country but using a low-latency wifi.

I'm not trying to say that the PL servers don't contribute to the problem. Certainly they can (and do) experience slowdowns under high loads. But these slowdowns affect everyone equally (the equivalent of playing a PvP match in slow motion) and so it's still a level playing field for everyone. The only way to know it's the servers themselves though, is if everyone with various different connections all see the same slowdown. It definitely happens, but it's hard to differentiate from a local connection problem that only you see.

Kingzila
10-17-2013, 11:56 AM

:/ sorry can't hear you over that wallmart connection you got there

(Note: and this was taken on a busy day it's usually even higher)

So yah not my Internets speed (thank god) so I goes this does mean that it's pl's side :/ sadly

MightyMicah
10-17-2013, 12:16 PM
I hear you bro but for example, everyone knows phone signals are maxed at midnight. For instance it's 12:44 a.m here. Blazing cellular signal. I know 100% that my signal is having no "irregular heartbeats" right now. YouTube Videos load in a blast . Other "large" mobile game apps that require an internet connection are running with no lag. However, when i Log in PL i encounter more lag then I would expect at this time of the night.

If its not "other's people connection" thats ruining my PL connection then , that's why I lead towards the servers. I mean even people on PC's running on chrome complain about the often lag.
That right there tells me something's wrong.

Unfortunately , I know almost nothing about the technology or developing side of these servers used so Im speaking purely on common sense.
Its just hard to believe its my connection, even if its cellular, when the other 99% of what I run, runs smooth.

This is the same argument I had given in a thread long time ago. It just doesn't make sense to have a great connection in everything (even other online games!) but PL. The other big thing to note is that a LOT of people have been complaining that lag is getting much worse lately. Then again, it seems as if people have been complaining that for awhile now. In my experience, though, it is getting worse over time. Sure, I'm no techie but I've got common sense. And common sense tells me that there's something I'm missing, or there's something the techies are.

Kingzila
10-17-2013, 12:23 PM
A few things.

When people talk about "lag" on PL, they're talking about latency. That is, how long it takes to get information to and from the PL servers. However, the amount of data PL is transferring is not really that large, so measuring your bandwidth isn't a meaningful metric. That is, saying "I measured 20/15 why am I still lagging?" doesn't make sense. It's not about how much data you can transfer at once, it's about how much delay you're experiencing in getting it to you, a.k.a. latency.

This is Apollo's point, that cell-based connections are not that great at providing and maintaining low latency. There are lots of reasons that I won't try to go into, but you're always going to get a lower and more consistent latency over your personal wifi (which is nearby, serves a small number of devices, and backhauls to the internet over a wire) than you will on a cell link.

Also, comparing PL performance to other types of applications like YouTube doesn't make sense. Streaming media like youtube uses buffering to compensate for erratic latency, smoothing over the "ping spikes" that are present in the cell connection. So your video appears to play without any "lag", but that's only because the app playing it buffers up enough of the stream to keep playing smoothly even when the data that it will need to play in 10 or 20 seconds is slow to arrive.

PL, on the other hand, does not have the luxury of being able to buffer up data to smooth things out. You need to see what's happening in real time to keep up with other users, so any little hiccup in your link is going to be very noticeable, e.g. in the form of your PvP opponent "teleporting" around. Anyone who has a lower-latency link operates with a significant advantage. Being close to the data center may help a tiny bit, but this advantage will be dwarfed by the effect of high latency. So someone playing on a high-latency cell link just down the block from the data center is still going to experience worse overall performance than someone across the country but using a low-latency wifi.

I'm not trying to say that the PL servers don't contribute to the problem. Certainly they can (and do) experience slowdowns under high loads. But these slowdowns affect everyone equally (the equivalent of playing a PvP match in slow motion) and so it's still a level playing field for everyone. The only way to know it's the servers themselves though, is if everyone with various different connections all see the same slowdown. It definitely happens, but it's hard to differentiate from a local connection problem that only you see.

All I going to pretty much say about this is that if its lagging like this it would be nice to see sts say something about it maybe like (sorry pl community we seem to be getting a bit over a heavy load of players in pl at the moment which is casing some lag OR hello pocket legends member we have been seeing post about pl lagging lately and we are looking into it now thank you for letting us know about this) OR SOMETHING FOR THAT MATTER. But I goes the pl community better get use to that or the new players for that matter since we getting the scraps of sts now. What a joke this would of been a year ago sad.

Thank you for explaining this though.

Zeus
10-17-2013, 12:35 PM

So yah not my Internets speed (thank god) so I goes this does mean that it's pl's side :/ sadly

@King
Again & again, I have to state that it is not PL's problem. AL, PL, SL, & DL all run on the SAME servers. That's why, when PL goes down, so does AL. When AL goes down, so does PL. So, whichever server upgrades STG gets, they affect both AL and PL. I can tell you right now, if my internet is maintaining a steady connection, I have no problems with ping. However, when I am lagging, the first thing I do is use my guide to see if the behaviors that correlate to lag are occurring. Everytime I have checked, the behaviors in speed test occur (which I mentioned in my guide).

I am more than willing to bet that it is your internet connection. Infact, many homes do have that problem because the ISPs are cheap & shady and will tell you that they're giving you an excellent connection when they really aren't which comes up in games like PL, where a constant connection is required.

Again, if I log onto other MMOs while I'm lagging on PL, the same thing occurs - lag. It is NOT the servers.

I'm more than willing to bet that if you run a multitude of tests exactly how my thread tells you how to do them, you'll be able to figure out that it's your internet connection.

@Micah
Try it out and let me know.

P.S: That's my internet connection speed. King, your ping looks rather high just for a simple connection test. This further leads me to believe that it's problems with your internet.

dudetus
10-17-2013, 12:38 PM
The real reason why PL is so laggy is because PL has so freaking much of players that the server can't handle so much ppl.

Damn it was hard to type that with a straight face :D:D:DD:D::DDDD:D:D:D:DDDDDDDDD

MightyMicah
10-17-2013, 02:03 PM
@Apollo: Alright, I'll see if I can't figure it out. Whatever it is that's causing my lag is frustrating as all get out.

Hook
10-17-2013, 02:17 PM
A few things.

Great feedback.
First,
Even if this was the case, that its the "latency" i'd still put up the same argument.
I mean, even if i take out my "bandwidth/Internet speed" out of the equation, I can still say I have low latency at midnight. I know medium to high latency would equal Browser pages to load slower or even facebook pages to load slower. But thats not the case. Yes i Know i dont have low latency All day but the way PL lags doesn't par up to how the latency is at the same time of the lags.

And as you said in your last paragraph, the slowdowns affect everyone equally. I never said I was the only one lagging. So if you take that into consideration, It points to the PL servers causing more than usual high latency, because many ppl complain about the often lag such as in pvp.

What Im curious is, if other people's low internet connection or high latency affects other people's gameplay. (Ping wise) Is that possible?

Hook
10-17-2013, 02:21 PM

Lol thats that 5G LTE connection right there. Wish mine was that high :mad:

Multibird
10-17-2013, 02:58 PM
I'm not experiencing any lag as of yet, my ping stays around 50-130

programmed
10-17-2013, 03:36 PM
Like Apollo is saying. It's not the servers it's the internet connection you are getting. At my house my ping stays between 300 and 800 normally because of my crappy Internet service. But at my grandpas house he has a very good service and my ping is always between 70 and 150.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

WhoIsThis
10-17-2013, 04:02 PM

@Occult

That's an interesting point. If nobody else is lagging then yeah, it's probably your connection or your ISP. If everyone was experiencing lag, then yes, I believe that my statement earlier about Amazon's data center's would be correct. Play as much as you can on wi-fi; even 4G is not really up to snuff (and truth be told, most "4G" isn't really 4G).

A few things.

Yep - raw bandwidth is only part of the answer. Actually, PL does not take up a lot of bandwidth (most phone applications are designed specifically not to in fact - the most intensive application is to stream high quality 1080p video onto smartphones). Latency another issue. That and the reliability of your connection. I find that with bad ISPs, sometimes when I watch say, Youtube, I can get pretty severe buffering. As Fusion points out, games cannot buffer as much as a video can - certain things must be rendered in real time.

Another way to test your connection:

Go to somewhere with free wifi. Try playing there. See if that lags. If there's no lag for sure, then it's your connection. If they both lag, then well, either it's that both your place and the free wifi are lagging. (We can come to this conclusion because nobody else is lagging).

Kingzila
10-17-2013, 07:06 PM

@King
Again & again, I have to state that it is not PL's problem. AL, PL, SL, & DL all run on the SAME servers. That's why, when PL goes down, so does AL. When AL goes down, so does PL. So, whichever server upgrades STG gets, they affect both AL and PL. I can tell you right now, if my internet is maintaining a steady connection, I have no problems with ping. However, when I am lagging, the first thing I do is use my guide to see if the behaviors that correlate to lag are occurring. Everytime I have checked, the behaviors in speed test occur (which I mentioned in my guide).

I am more than willing to bet that it is your internet connection. Infact, many homes do have that problem because the ISPs are cheap & shady and will tell you that they're giving you an excellent connection when they really aren't which comes up in games like PL, where a constant connection is required.

Again, if I log onto other MMOs while I'm lagging on PL, the same thing occurs - lag. It is NOT the servers.

I'm more than willing to bet that if you run a multitude of tests exactly how my thread tells you how to do them, you'll be able to figure out that it's your internet connection.

@Micah
Try it out and let me know.

P.S: That's my internet connection speed. King, your ping looks rather high just for a simple connection test. This further leads me to believe that it's problems with your internet.

Um so I just looked at that speed test and good sir that's (if that's actually your speed test) would mean you live in California OR your paying about 400$ for Internet. ether way doesint pretty much matter cuz I'm not lagging on other apps or even games for that matter and pl still is. Just like I was running bf3 perfectly and I started pl up in a side window and its lagging. So it's ether one of the two things pl is just laggy with past week or a lot of ppl are lying about pl lagging. Ether way if its better in a few weeks il be happy if not sts is getting a notice in a form of a refund of 100$ IAP recite from apple. So that's that. (Note: and there's WAY more of those where that came from I have like files of em waiting.

Zeus
10-18-2013, 09:22 AM
Um so I just looked at that speed test and good sir that's (if that's actually your speed test) would mean you live in California OR your paying about 400$ for Internet. ether way doesint pretty much matter cuz I'm not lagging on other apps or even games for that matter and pl still is. Just like I was running bf3 perfectly and I started pl up in a side window and its lagging. So it's ether one of the two things pl is just laggy with past week or a lot of ppl are lying about pl lagging. Ether way if its better in a few weeks il be happy if not sts is getting a notice in a form of a refund of 100$ IAP recite from apple. So that's that. (Note: and there's WAY more of those where that came from I have like files of em waiting.

I live in California & that is my speed test. How does location matter for the internet speed? When I lived in the east coast, I had internet that was slightly faster than this.

BF3 is completely different from PL because there is not as much interaction, so ping isn't as much of a determining factor. As for a lot of people lagging on PL, you'd be surprised how many PL players have bad devices or less than adequate internet. Infact, a lot of them are players who don't know the first thing about technology and blame it on the servers.

I'll tell you this... I don't lag unless it's my internet (I have checked this each time). So, more than likely there is a problem with your ISP or your internet.

Thadalger
10-19-2013, 08:24 PM
I basically quit if ever will be another expansion.