PDA

View Full Version : Another skill button

Laska
05-01-2010, 12:43 PM
Ok so idk if this has been posted or not an I'm to lazy to look through all the old post but anyways here goes.

Ok you kno where that skill book is on top of the 4 skill slots . Well I think that book should be moved over to the left side of the screen lik above the emote button. And then I suggest they can put in a 5th skill slot cuz seriously I use only 5 skills really and I hate opening that skill book thing up and almost dying lol.

Splurd
05-01-2010, 02:09 PM
Yes. It has been mentioned.

Yes. I agree we need more buttons.

Obliteration
05-01-2010, 03:04 PM
Just click the book at the top right. Another button isn't needed that bad.

Brollus
05-01-2010, 03:20 PM
I think that a fifth skill button would be beneficial for all players. Hope they take it into consideration.

UnretroGamer
05-01-2010, 05:27 PM
I agree with the idea of moving the skill book above the emotes, and adding a 5th skill button on the top-right where the skill book was

Laska
05-01-2010, 05:56 PM
Just click the book at the top right. Another button isn't needed that bad.

Yah I kno the skill book is ther and lik i said it's annoying to click on jus to use one skill I'd rather have the book off to the side and add a 5th skill alot I mean I'm not really askin for that much lol.

Odvar
05-01-2010, 08:47 PM
2 buttons I need 2 buttons aaaaaaaarrrrggghhhhhhh

Azrael
05-01-2010, 08:50 PM
We do need a new skill button, or a better way to access the skill book.
However implementing this fairly to both iphone and ipad users, while retaining the quality of the UI is seems to pose quite a challenge.

Aerospacegod
05-01-2010, 09:39 PM
I like the location(on ipad) but would definitely benefit from 5 instead of 4

Azrael
05-01-2010, 10:24 PM
I like the location(on ipad) but would definitely benefit from 5 instead of 4

If the ipad has more skills buttons available than the iphone, the ipad users would have an significant advantage over iphone users. Here is where this becomes a problem:

1- Its unfair
2- There are far more iphones out there than ipads. While i won't delve into the potential future or lack there of for the ipad, I would assume the largest amount of revenue for pocket legends is coming from ipod and iphone users. Giving ipad users an advantage would give many iphone/ipad users a reason to no longer invest their time or money into the game.

I love this game and i would probably stick around, but i be greatly disappointed were ipads to have what would amount to an even better gaming experience than they already have. And also the games population would shrink and the community would be damaged.

The issue of skill buttons and space for should be addressed to both platforms equally.

nerdherd
05-01-2010, 10:34 PM
Well then, you should already be very upset. You can leave up all your skills all the time on the iPad without them getting in the way, so I guess that's "unfair" isn't it? Your reasoning makes no sense because you're comparing two devices with very different amounts of screen space. I guess they should also make the viewable area on the iPad smaller too, right? Just to keep it fair?

:)

Azrael
05-01-2010, 10:48 PM
Well then, you should already be very upset. You can leave up all your skills all the time on the iPad without them getting in the way, so I guess that's "unfair" isn't it? Your reasoning makes no sense because you're comparing two devices with very different amounts of screen space. I guess they should also make the viewable area on the iPad smaller too, right? Just to keep it fair?

:)

My reasoning makes perfect sense and i'm already aware that ipad users can leave up there skill book. No i'm not very upset about that. Thats why i said "have a better gaming experience than they already have."

You posed a rhetorical question to me to make your point, and to an extent that point is valid. However that point only goes so far. I could pose the same sort of question and say, "if its ok for the two devices to be so different, then why not create separate servers for ipad and iphone users? Of course an ipad only server population would be ridiculously low, but if im an iphone user, I shouldn't care, right?"

Like i said the advantage of an ipad user is already significant, and making it even more significant will hurt the game more than it will help. Its better to take every player into account, and not a minority in order to create the best gaming experience and make pocket legends a success.

Splurd
05-02-2010, 01:10 AM
I cant believe we are comparing iPad and iPhone and talking about fairness.

JoJoTheWho
05-02-2010, 02:26 AM
Yeah with my new build on my warrior i really need more buttons. ive got 3 buffs i have to keep popped up, and i have my 4 skill combo. atleast give us 5 buttons so i can put my main buff down : / you should put a toggle in the settings menu. so players can toggle how many buttons they have. 4, 6, or 8 buttons, its their choice to have less space on the screen! players could then chose if they want more or less buttons and more or less space on the screen. << great idea.

Azrael
05-02-2010, 03:10 AM
Yeah with my new build on my warrior i really need more buttons. ive got 3 buffs i have to keep popped up, and i have my 4 skill combo. atleast give us 5 buttons so i can put my main buff down : / you should put a toggle in the settings menu. so players can toggle how many buttons they have. 4, 6, or 8 buttons, its their choice to have less space on the screen! players could then chose if they want more or less buttons and more or less space on the screen. << great idea.

i like that idea.

I also think it would help if the spell book did two things: 1- only show skills we have points in and not on the bar. I don't need to see every spell in the spell book, especially the ones and dont have points in. 2 - with the spell book limited to only the spell we have and are not on our 4-spell bar, it would be nice if when it was opened it was higher up, covering the first three lines of the chat and not obscuring the center of the screen. Right now it functions just fine when its cover the chat box when the box is expanded.

JoJoTheWho
05-02-2010, 01:11 PM
Yeah That is also a good idea. It would be nice if they atleast had the spell book stay open untill clicked again. Then you'd be able to access all spells easily. But it would be nicer If they just put a toggle on how many you can have. :)

FriedSushi
05-02-2010, 05:49 PM
i think you should have your offensive skills in your quick slots, and leave the buffs in the skill book.
this way, you can buff before running in.

Demarrer
05-02-2010, 05:50 PM
i think you should have your offensive skills in your quick slots, and leave the buffs in the skill book.
this way, you can buff before running in.

You can, just double click the icons to put what you want on your quick slots.

FriedSushi
05-02-2010, 06:47 PM
yeah, just suggestion

BestHyun
05-02-2010, 11:34 PM
Yes I support the fifth skill hotkey =/ really tired of tapping the book then a skill.

Jakis
05-03-2010, 01:06 AM
I'm going to merge these ideas into "make skills easier on iphone." We'd probably do something similar to chat (toggling modes) before adding another button to the main display, but we'll see what works.
Re: fairness between devices (skill readiness), we will keep this in mind when making the change. Good discussion, thanks. :)

Azrael
05-03-2010, 10:07 AM
Thanks Jakis. You guys rock!

Flamin
05-03-2010, 03:48 PM
I agree exactly with the idea

Jakis
05-04-2010, 09:23 PM
In the next content update, the skill book icon toggles between your four mapped skills, and all 12 skills. (three columns of four on the right side of the screen)
It feels much better to me, but let me know if you have any problems with it.
Thanks

TheBaconKing
05-04-2010, 09:26 PM
In the next content update, the skill book icon toggles between your four mapped skills, and all 12 skills. (three columns of four on the right side of the screen)
It feels much better to me, but let me know if you have any problems with it.
Thanks

Why would it show all 12 skills? If you cant use em why have em on the screen? It should just show which skills you have put points into.

Anyways Thanks a TON for listening to us and implementing some fix!

Justg
05-04-2010, 09:30 PM
BaconKing, we do what we can with our tech to get things to you as fast as possible.

TheBaconKing
05-04-2010, 09:31 PM
BaconKing, we do what we can with our tech to get things to you as fast as possible.

And I thank you for that!!! It was just a suggestion!

Odvar
05-05-2010, 03:55 AM
would it be possible to only show the skills you have points in?

Obliteration
05-05-2010, 04:17 AM
Actually it's not to bad of an idea.
Hope the 12 showing is customizable and doesn't show all 12.

TheBaconKing
05-06-2010, 12:00 PM

G,

I just wanted to say that the new skill book is great. Having all the spells there doesn't hurt at all, actually is sorta helps me find the ones I am looking for as it is in the same order as the spell book on the menu page. The skill book is open 99% of the time for me now. It is only ever closed when I am not in a level and just chillin in the Towne. No need to change it. Unless you can think of something better of course.

Odvar
05-06-2010, 01:09 PM
Would it be possible to customize it on our end? Having skills up that I dont use is taking up screen view.

Odvar
05-06-2010, 01:22 PM
Actually if you could do something like chat, one row, two rows, three rows for the buttons that are setup by the player and you are set.

Silentreaper
05-06-2010, 01:34 PM
If the ipad has more skills buttons available than the iphone, the ipad users would have an significant advantage over iphone users. Here is where this becomes a problem:

1- Its unfair
2- There are far more iphones out there than ipads. While i won't delve into the potential future or lack there of for the ipad, I would assume the largest amount of revenue for pocket legends is coming from ipod and iphone users. Giving ipad users an advantage would give many iphone/ipad users a reason to no longer invest their time or money into the game.

I love this game and i would probably stick around, but i be greatly disappointed were ipads to have what would amount to an even better gaming experience than they already have. And also the games population would shrink and the community would be damaged.

The issue of skill buttons and space for should be addressed to both platforms equally.

I completely agree and would like to add that i almost always play with the skill book open. it doesnt take up that much more room and the way its now setup we are able always hav easy access to ALL skills. as needed.

Odvar
05-06-2010, 04:42 PM
I would have to disagree, having the panel out on an iPhone does take up alot of room especially if you do not have points in every skill like I had posted above it would be great to customize it yourself but I do not know how much code would be involved in that

Razersharp
05-07-2010, 11:20 AM
...We'd probably do something similar to chat (toggling modes)...

Great idea!

Azrael
05-07-2010, 11:41 AM
Changes are still being made to the skill book. The devs have responded in another thread regarding the issue of removing dead spells from the book and retaining the customized order of spells on the bar.
This change will probably come after pvp is released, and we will need to be patient.