PDA

View Full Version : Efficient Run Series: Storming The Oltgar Keep (farming Entombed Hammer)

Alfai
10-24-2013, 12:03 AM
STORMING OLTGAR KEEP

We come here for one, and one reason only.to get lucky drop on Entombed Hammer of Warfare lvl 35. It is still a hot selling item and have good price in the market atm. Personally, I hate Nordr maps specifically Oltgar since its release. It’s like the toughest elite map in Season 4, where you die most and burn most pots, at times worse than Skull Cove.

At 36 cap, the mobs are scaled with higher difficulty, and tbh its still tough for a level 36 of a complete party. I will be sharing my personal approach to Oltgar and hope it benefits others to run well and surviving the challenge for its good drop.

The guide I am sharing is using rogue (for skills/build). As for other classes do drop me pms on recommended build which is used by my friends for guidance.
This map is NOT recommended for solo run. Reasons:

U waste time. You wont score a timerun achievement running solo. Only personal record.
U waste pots. Like MANY of em. Not including plats revive if any. It’s a tough map.
Rogue best ability is unleashed when you farm elite in party, not solo. Your party support allows you to maximize the damage output for your party. So basically you are doing your job, best.

Rogue lvl 36 Recommended Build (PVE assuming you not on hybrid)

Skills
1.Shadow Pierce (Can swap this with trap since theres not much benefit dashing around the map)
-upgrades: gouging rush and rising death, OR

1.Trap (Good for mobs control. In fact very good for Oltgar mobs) -upgrades: all except combustion tank

2. Shadow Veil -upgrades: all except combustion decay

3. Aimed Shot -upgrades:all

4. Noxed Bolt -upgrades: all if possible

Passive Skills
Agility 5/5
Might 5/5
Critical 5/5 (easier to inflict critical hits in pve than pvp. So its worth to maximize if possible
Damage 5/5 (or 4/4 should you upgrade all nox)

Party Recommendation
You definitely have better chance of survival running with a tank to handle PUG. At 36 only 1 tank is enough. An ideal party setup for meare among these:

1 tank/2 rogues/1 mage
1 tank/3 rogues
2 rogues/2 mages

I am sharing the 2 common map strategies used to storm Oltgar. Please note that this is based on my personal experience. Should there be more simplified version, do share it here to add bonus to the guide.

1st Clash Kill

Tank or rogue need to kite the mobs for a clash kill. I shall use mob groups categories highlighted in illustration to explain the guide more briefly.
For rogues, drop trap whilst in motion of finding your defensive and attacking stance. The trick to trap is to gauge the movement of the mobs to trigger the trap and pulling those around him into it.

Shadow veil buff is good for both defense/attack for your party. Make sure to charge the smoke bomb to increase its perimeter.

*trick for successful trap is to deploy it on the path where you foresee the mobs would be walking by upon a successful kite.

2nd Clash Kill

This is the first tough group. Theres a few tricks that might help:

Find a corner (for example here). It has better survivability as you funnel the mobs attacks to 1 direction, making it easier to kill em one by one and giving you time to switch skills between CD.

Kill the 2 frost giants first before you target the archer which also deals a good amount of damage. The frost giant has an ability (you can see he is about to unleash the ability via beaming red aura). Use veil to provide your party with buff.
Using trap is tricky if you funnel them to a corner. As the mobs movement is slightly harder to anticipate and slower. An experienced trap user can anticipate the time and spot to drop traps. Otherwise while facing aggro, have a quick break out of your party and dive into the group of mobs at the corner where you and your party make your stand. Go to the middle of the group, deploy trap and quickly rejoin your party.
This trick can be ignored should you are able to purge them near their spawn area (without retreating to the corner spot). Can work but you burn more pots and fragile to death if you are unable to pots on time. Timed runs will drop the corner strategy.

3rd Clash Kill (Option A)

Similar strategy as the 2nd clash.

3rd Clash Kill (Option B)

Skip the mobs ahead, instead proceed to area at the right (dead end), lure and find a decent corner where you can focus your attacks here. Skip this section if you use Option A else you will overkill the required mobs to spawn Frostir. Nothing wrong but not required.
A common trick to handle the archers is where a tank would lead the archers to be separated from their groups and stuck on the ice puddle here. This is another way to handle agro-simply to help you manage the crowd.
While kiting the mobs to take your bait and group them you should have placed traps at strategic spots to manage the crowd.

Skipping Mobs (running for your life)

After killing the mobs either Option A or B, you can skip the mobs ahead to the point in the next illustration. Let tank heal to give you the shield to survive the runs. Use speed pet (Slag is the best for both speed and mobs control) Best route to increase survivability whilst managing the taunted mobs is to do your runs at the edge of the route. Be careful to not accidentally step on the ice puddle where you will freeze for a couple of secs (this can be so annoying and leads you not to be able to pass thru the mobs chasing you, resulting to death).
This skipping is both tricky and deadly. If you somehow fall from your party (and not using plats to revive), you will face a tough challenge to get past thru the mobs group where you need to avoid from your spawn area.
The trick if you are alone or get separated from your tank is to kite the mobs here first (Option A clash kill). The mobs need to be distracted. The chance if you storm ahead as it is will have a success rate of at least 50% fatality. So taunt the mobs to chase you at the circle here, where (anti-clockwise motion), you run along the circle giving a decent distance to keep their attention on your tail. Once the Frost Giants has passed the danger zone, quickly resume your run to rejoin your party at the final mobs conflict in the next illustration.

Final Clash Kill
*Be careful of the ice puddles here as its being blocked from the camera view.

Option A
Since this is a tough map with aggro prone to deal lethal damage, there’s a 2 common ways to make your stand.

The first spot is among the most common, assuming you can pot excellent to survive. Similar offensive approach, the crowd control can be tough as you are exposed to attacks from various angles.
Kill the Frost Giant to add higher chance for survivability followed by archers and the rest. This can be the most crucial spot to lay traps successfully in the map to manage the crowd. Remember the elite runs motto-Better management of crowd, higher your chance to survive.

Option B

Run towards Frostir spawn area and make your stand here near the chests to manage the mobs. This approach gives you better survivability as dropping the numbers of mobs chasing you. However upon killing those that follow, Frostir will not spawn as you do not kill enough the required mobs. So you have to retreat to the nearest mobs and kill them until Frostir spawn. This approach Is less favourable if you are concern on the run duration. But killing the mobs in few and breaking them in smaller groups give better survivability, but more time consuming.

Defeating Frostir (Boss)

Once Frostir is summoned there will be a short clip showcase. If you are a rogue, best to switch to damage/crits pets (recommending talon if you do not own hammerjaw) to increase the damage dealt, Anything that provide additional damage buff on not just you but also your party will help to defeat Frostir faster. Delaying his inevitable defeat is not as favourable as his special ability which I will explain next can almost kill you instantly even at level cap.
For early attacks you may have your stand here. Being a rogue provide you with speed and agility to move around swiftly, hence if you can deal and counter attack you can move around Frostir to launch attacks while dodging his attacks. Frostir early attacks will include a dash ability that can be dodged (upon seeing the red aura indicator), which deals a painful damage that can be handled well if you pot fast. Anyhow, dodging any of his charged ability is always wise especially for rogues who are not able to take many hits.
Frostir true bloodthirsty nature is revealed once his hp drops to 50%. This is when he will unleash terror, a red with blue electrical aura that will stun you for a couple of seconds. The fatality comes from the immediate attack/combos of attacks that will kill you assuming you are unable to pot in time (which is tough), leaving you with little hp after the stun effect wears out. This ability required dodging to ensure your survivability. Else there will be a fast window each ability is unleashed (but if you are stunned you cant perform any action), hence escaping and dodging this attack allows you to show a few arrows or couple of slashes to damage the boss.

Tips:assuming you wanna dodge fast,frostir aoe range has a safe spot exactly behind him.that small spot is out of his aoe range hence you can escape the stun effec that follows.the aoe will blink like 3times where you should gauge the time buffer for you to quickly move behind him to dodge it.

Assuming you keep your momentum, find the nearest, safest spot near the boss (your viewing mode is inventory, safe spot mean if he cast his ability and you are outside the range by a very small gap) to equip your leprechaun amulet upon Frostir hp leftovers of 5-10%. This can increase or provide better chance for Entombed Hammer drop whether you are on reroll elix or not.
I have personally looted Entombed just using lep. It doesn’t mean you should drop reroll. Higher luck chance is always good.

Do measure your effectiveness from the run duration/pots consumption and none or minimal death counts (don’t refer to LB recorded timed run as the strategy is slightly differ from casual run written here. Entombed Hammer of Warfare; level; 35 has a slight damage buff and is still an excellent weapon for Tanks (especially in PVP for those who can’t afford mythic/arcane weapon). Thus it still has demand and value in the market that makes the farming here worth your time.

Disclaimers:
-This guide does NOT guarantee a successful drop of Entombed. But optimum run approach would at least not demotivate you to rerun.
-Best to use reroll elix and equip lep nearing the boss death to increase the luck. But either one or both again is depending on pure luck.
-Recommended pet for Rogue is Slag for mobs, talon/ribbit/hammerjaw for boss. Any pets that can stun i.e Granite can be useful for mobs should you not own Slag. Overall, Slag is my preferred selection due to the buffs and speed which is really helpful.
-You DONT need a fully equipped mythic gears to run this map and survive. What you need is a good party and teamwork.

Happy Farming, and all the best.

Drop me a PM for queries or leave comment for any fixes/updates that I might have missed in this write-ups. Cheers.

P/S: I had an embarrassing death whilst screencapping this (FYI, this is normal Oltgar for the purpose of this guide). To avenge me, simple make use this guide for your best benefit or hit thanks if you feel its useful for all. :dread:

falmear
10-24-2013, 01:05 AM
Very nice guide. If I can offer some advice for mages on Final Class Option A, if you have time shift use charged time shift to keep the mobs at a distance and the pigs AOE red zone away from you. Also charge ice to possibly freeze the pigs. If you are a rogue with a bow, consider standing out of range behind time shift where the mage should be standing. Also when you run to the final clash, you need to be careful not to get caught by the AOE by the pigs. If I am the first one there, I use a charged fireball to knock down the pigs to stop them from launching their AOE attack. Otherwise, I will usually will let the other person who is a head set off the pigs and take a different route.

Instanthumor
10-24-2013, 01:09 AM
Very nice guide. If I can offer some advice for mages on Final Class Option A, if you have time shift use charged time shift to keep the mobs at a distance and the pigs AOE red zone away from you. Also charge ice to possibly freeze the pigs. If you are a rogue with a bow, consider standing out of range behind time shift where the mage should be standing. Also when you run to the final clash, you need to be careful not to get caught by the AOE by the pigs. If I am the first one there, I use a charged fireball to knock down the pigs to stop them from launching their AOE attack. Otherwise, I will usually will let the other person who is a head set off the pigs and take a different route.

Awww. When I saw 'Last Post : Falmear', I expected something a bit more humorous. Lolz.

Alfai
10-24-2013, 01:20 AM

Gimme an image with caption falm pls!

Instanthumor
10-24-2013, 01:28 AM
Gimme an image with caption falm pls!

I second that motion.

falmear
10-24-2013, 01:32 AM

Instanthumor
10-24-2013, 01:54 AM

I love you man. (No homo)

Alfai
10-25-2013, 05:10 AM
Haahahahaha

Aziiii
10-25-2013, 05:24 AM
Gr8 guide as always! and falmear's pics are just awsome :))) i'm always looking forward to them!
So pls more guides and more pics! hahaha

Alfai
10-29-2013, 09:26 AM
Gr8 guide as always! and falmear's pics are just awsome :))) i'm always looking forward to them!
So pls more guides and more pics! hahaha

Falmear choice of pictures and caption made me choke to death

Soundlesskill
10-30-2013, 08:25 AM

lolololol